Options

FLM Training: Sezz

Comments

• Options
    Afternoon azbeen.
  • Options

ello FF - you keeping sezz on the right track?

hope you didn't tempt her to have too many drinkypoos in Keswick.

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

He's trying Azbeen!

Not so much the alcohol, but one too many cumberland sausages and Grasmere Gingerbread!!  Yummy image

I started thinking about a previous half mara PB today but very quickly stopped myself.  But hard though.  Still, I'm running better now than I was only 3 months ago so hopefully it's all coming back and I'll be up to my old speeds by the end of the year.

Thanks for the info about sportracks.  I'm getting some advice directly from Garmin (not what you know, but who you know image) so will see how I get on with them.  Think it may be Windows Vista problem.

• Options

Sezz

You will run pbs later in the year but be patient.

I think the 2M in 18 mins was general and you ran it exactly right.

Presumably the graph will tegfive you some idea if your 2nd mile was faster.

Personally as my Garmin knowledge is rather flimsy, if I had been doing the same session I would have hit my lap button after 9 minutes and then again after 18 mins as well as the end and compared the two 9 minute blocks

• Options

I don't think Garmin will advise or suggest using sporttracks because they'd rather you use MotionBased which they have 'connections'  with.image

I've downloaded both and the interface with MB is very slow despite high speed connection. Another advantage of sporttracks is that it's a programme that runs on your own pc and doesn't rely on an external provider.

Hope todays rain doesn't put you off getting out for your run today. I got soaked on my morning run.

The 'boss' and I are going up to Aviemore for a long weekend. I enjoy running the trails up there but they may be a bit too wet and muddy (or slushy). Of course I might ski myself silly and not do any runningimage

You should have stayed out of the Dog & Gun! The food and beer are far too tasty.image

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Ok Steve, promise no more talk of PBs image

The graph makes no sense to me!   But hitting the lap button might be an idea - I'll try that next time, although in Advanced Workouts it doesn't bleep at you when you pass the first mile. 

• Options

ello FF - you keeping sezz on the right track?

hope you didn't tempt her to have too many drinkypoos in Keswick.

oops posted twice dunno why

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Steve, a thought for Sunday...... I know the schedule says a 10k or 5 mile race but with Watford Half in two weeks, and with the thought that I've only done up to 8m so far on my long runs, would it be better to concentrate on another 8-10 miler rather than the 10k.  I can't find any 10ks anyway and my other thought was just to go out and run a fast 5 or 6 miles.  What do you think?
  • Options
    fancy a hilly 5 in Wendover instead?   its my birthday party     image
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

There's hilly and there's Wendover.  

Up and down Coombe Hill?

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

There's hilly and there's Wendover.  

Up and down Coombe Hill?

• Options
    no Wendover woods,  theres a thread on events

a few of us doing it,  a few spectating followed by the obligatory pub lunch!
  • Options

Sezz

Do you go up and down Coombe Hill twice?

f you don't do Wendover would suggest you do 8-10 miles but try and run reasonably quickly for middle 6 miles ie 1-2 miles slow, 6 miles at almost 10K pace, 1-2 miles slow - that way you get in a faster run, reasonable amount of miles and good training for Watford

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

I don't go up and down Coombe Hill at all!!   I drive to the car park at the top and walk across to the monument - much easier image

Meldy, where are you meeting afterwards?

Steve, I might just do that then, as you suggest.  Thanks.

• Options
    The Firecrest on the 413 just out of Wendover towards Amersham

entries on the day,  start at 11am!
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    The Firecrest?  Used to be Halfway House, non?  
  • Options
    thats the one and then it became 'The Office'
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Meldy, I'm not going to come over on Sunday.  Got a viewing around my flat on Sunday and would rather be here.  Good luck anyway and belated Happy Birthday.

So..

Week 4, Day 5
    Rest  on the schedule

As I had my rest day on Wednesday, I needed to do my easy run today which was 5m in approx 57 mins.  It's very mild out there today, but still damp.  Actually, quite nice running weather.  I started a tad too quick as usual but the first mile and three-quarters is very slightly downhill.  The fourth mile was odd .....I felt like I was running too fast but actually it was my slowest mile of the 5....not sure why. 

Finished 5m in 55:39.

Lap 1     10.59
    Lap 2     11:00
    Lap 3     11:18
    Lap 4     11:21
    Lap 5     11:00

One thing about doing this training with RW is that I'm actually enjoying running more than I have in a long time.  I think because I have more structure to it and can see improvements already image

No runs tomorrow and having a very lazy weekend on the whole (apart from run on Sunday obviously). Feeling less stressed now and no tiredness, although I have got a very annoying ticking in my head!!  Pretty sure my brain isn't about to explode!!   I think I need to see the chiropractor again, I know the last time I went she said my neck was quite stiff and this ticking increases as my footsteps increase so something to do with my spine I assume.

On the diet front, I've been laying off the wheat for a few days now and feel less bloated.  I'll continue in this way for a while longer, using other forms of carbs instead. 

Have a good weekend everyone.

• Options

Well done on today's run, Sezz. I know exactly what you mean about the structure we have leading to more enjoyment, despite my chuntering on sometimes over in my thread I'm really enjoying this.

Hope Sunday's viewing leads to a sale, and that the ticking eases . .

• Options
    No worries Sezz no doubt will catch up with you soon

mwwahhhhh Rich    image
  • Options

oooooooooooooooooh!! hello cheeky image
  • Options
    Excellent run Sezz - enjoy the rest day  and have a good Sunday run.
  • Options
    Great work Sezz. Hope the flat viewing goes well!!
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Steve, thanks.   I've just read the newsletter and in particular the bit about sports drinks.  Do you have any particular view on them and gels, any favourites?  

LE, fingers crossed, I feel good about this one but I shall be spending tomorrow doing housework!

• Options

If you like the taste, then they are worth having and tests seem to show they are slightly better than water in giving you energy as well as keeping hydrated.

re Gels, they are an acquired taste but I have found them extremely useful in the second half of last few marathons.

I have got on well with Power gels, High 5 and SIS gels.

It is slightly easier (and palatable)  taking ones you can take without adding water - the SIS ones are probably best for that.

First try them on a long run and then a race before deciding if they are for you in the marathon

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Week 4, Day 7
    Race 10k

"Lord, oh Lord, I feel my temperature rising" sang Elvis, to me, at 6 miles.  Phew!  It certainly was!  Very mild in London today and I could really feel myself heating up.  I think it's even gonig to get to 15 degress today.  It's very very slightly damp but that's fine and if the weather is like this for 13 April, minus the wind, then I'll be happy.

So, today's schedule said 10k.  On the website schedule it says aim for sub 55:00 but the schedule downloaded on the Garmin says aim for a pace of 9:19 - 9:39 which, if I've done my sums correct then that is 57:46 to 59:50 (??)   When I started training at the beginnig of last December, I didn't even think I was capable of 60 minutes (even though PB is 55:05).

I also wanted to do a few extra miles as I don't think I've done enough mileage in prep for Watford Half in two weeks.  The Garmin workout actually had a slow mile either side of 10k so I amended this to 1.5miles to bring today's total to 9.2m.  **

Set off and legs felt heavy.  I also felt a bit nauseaous and slightly scared at the thought of doing a fast 10k. I really thought I'd run out of energy half way through.  I chose a fairly flat straight route from Arkley to Potters Bar and set off. The first slow mile was fine then the bleeps for the 10k went.  No doubt I went off to quick but soon settled into a fairly comfortable pace and managed this for 4m, in fact I was slightly faster than I should have been going.  I turned round with 2m to go and the wind hit me.  This slowed me down considerably and my legs felt heavy but I battled for 1m and then turned down a road out of the wind and slightly downhill which was much easier.  Unfortunately this meant the 1.5 mile jog was back up the hill and into the wind. Doh!  All in all the last 2.5 miles was kinda looping round Hadley Wood and Barnet and I must have passed the church 3 or 4 times -  I did hear one group of lady walkers question why I'd passed them so many times! 

Total time for 9.2m was 1:32:27

Total time for the 10k was 57:21  -  image

I'm really happy with this 10k time as it's much faster than I thought I could do at this stage and I felt fairly comfortable throughout the run.  And also pleased that I've got some more mileage under my belt.

So, how is everyone else doing?  Please do let me know so that I'm not talking to myself and we can compare notes image

Right, off for a shower now and a very lazy rest of Sunday on the sofa.

** I've posted on Gear some specific questions I have about the Garmin in case they are missed on this thread.

• Options

Hi Sezz,

Sounds like a great effort today. My schedules been a bit to pot this week.  Had shuffled days around to fit in with two groups I coach at so had easy 5miles on Monday, 4x800 tues rest Wednesday and then brisk 2 on Thursday, easy 3 or rest on Fri and 10K yesterday. At least that was the plan!!

Turned out a bit like this:

Mon-other coach decided to do some speed work so probably managed slow two miles and a couple of easy inervals.

Tues-my own group were doing 3.5 miles so that was okay, altho few were struggling so walked a bit of that with them.

Wed-off to the gy for 4x800m on treadmill. Fine but really tired later.

Thurs-had hoped we would be doing about 4 mile so I could get warm up mile either side of brisk 2 miles but another speed session-oh my poor legs!

Fri-have decided on these rest/easy days to do a bit of cross-training so signed up for first ever body attack class at the gym.  Class was great but quite hard on my already tired legs from the two speed sessions on Wed & Thur

Sat-no local 10K's so planned10K route to do in sub 55. Unfortunately legs had other ideas and one of my running friends wasn't feeling too great so managed 6 miles in an hour. Not quite the session I had in mind but never mind.

So I'm giving my legs a well earned rest today, got  a car to wash and a wardrobe to build so that should keep me out of mischief!!

Hope to do better with the schedule this week.

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Tubby, So you've run six days in a row?! Wow, good work, you deffo need a rest today, although I wouldn't call building a wardrobe a rest.   I really should wash my car but my excuse is that I live in north London and it'll only get dirty again the next time I go out  image

• Options

Hey, that's a great run today Sezz, well done. It's 12 degs over here in Bristol, with a 25mph gale and lots of that fine drizzle that gets right through everything!

Enjoy chillin' on the sofa image

Tubby, sounds easier than washing a wardrobe and building a car anyway image

• Options

Sezz

Excellent run - well done

you got in a good few miles and put in a fast 10K too.

That 10K pb is ready for revision.