Options

An Oldie Starting Out!

Comments

• Options
    Back on top of the world eh! Mick.
  • Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

Mick, is there anything you would consider one hurdle too far?  I read your posts and just think, bionic man.  Why hasn't Runner's World done on a feature on you?

<Reads Chugger's post and slinks off to pack gym kit for cross trainer in the morning to allow tendons to heal>

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

See what I mean, Chugger - even thinking about the cross trainer has warped my mind.  Sorry about the garbled post, Mick - leave out the 'on' in the last sentence!

• Options

Tikka

they did back in 2005 ? or near that

cheers for your lovely comment - i'm just loving my running

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

I'd love to read the article, Mick.  I can't think of a more deserving candidate.  If you happen to know the month it appeared I'll request a back copy from Rodale.

• Options

Runners World December 2005 page 36

Take a Break 12 January 2006 - issue 2 page 54 

how's that !!

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭
    As they say in all the best Hollywood bonk busters - that, my friend is awesome.
  • Options
    Try asking about swimming too?
  • Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭
    Asking Mick about swimming?  Don't tell me he can swim those kind of distances too?  Dear God, please let Mr Perfect have just one tiny flaw.... image
  • Options

Swimming -  i hate the bleedy sport, did too much when i was young

i don't swim anymore, was never any good when i did

NO, i'm a runner

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

Ah, Barking must mean for me to ask about the swimming lessons at the gym.  I feared as much!

Will do, Barking.   There's a beginner's class on a Thursday night but I wasn't able to go last Thursday night and I won't be able to go this Thursday night either so I'll have to wait another couple of weeks.

Must go to bed now because I'm getting up early in the morning to go to the gym, right Chugger?  Sure I am image

• Options

Mick, what a stellar performance! Sounds like the day went really, really well for you both---BRILLIANT!!!!

Tikka, I didn't mean to tell you what to do, but usually if a fizz tells you not to use something, it gets better if you don't use it image) Hope you made it to the gym this morning and enjoyed yourself!

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

It was snowy and icy here today so I didn't make it to the gym.  In fact, I didn't make it anywhere other than to the bus stop to drag myself into work.  Complete rest day number one under my belt.  Here's hoping for some healing!

How's everyone else's running going - Chugger, Big David, Barking, Nimble Turnkey?

• Options

Tikka, if it was slippery then you were especially smart not to rush around. Just what you don't need for those tendons is a fall on some ice!

My running is on hold for a little while, alas. I crocked my knee last October, don't know how, and couldn't run. I gave it til after the hols, then started again thinking it would get better if I took it slowly. But it isn't right, and it hurts even with run/walk, and after 5 weeks of trying I decided I better see someone about it. So I've got an appointment for next Monday and in the meantime I'm not trying to do anything but walk. Whatever it is, no point in making it worse. It's annoying, but I've tried everything I know to fix it and it isn't working, so it's time for Plan B.....

• Options
    Hi Tikka

I did a very Long & Slow LSR yesterday.
    I am doing the Charnwood Marathon in a couple of weeks time. It is an event in which you get a set of instructions, and have to find your own way between check points (some of which have cake). I have done the event twice before, and ended up going a bit off course each time, so yesterday I went to check out some of the route that I am less familiar with. (an advantage of being local)
  • Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

Big David, if I had to find my way between checkpoints the race would have to be reclassified as a 3 day ultra to take account of the extra miles I'd put in.  I still come out of M&S and have to think about whether I need to turn left or right to get back to the office!

I didn't know about your knee Chugger, I assumed you were running all the time like everyone else.  That's too bad.  Hopefully the physio will be able to help.  I've read that "runner's knee" is the most common injury.  No doubt mine will buckle at some stage too - I'm a bit of an injury junkie.

I've spent the last two hours reading through lots of different posts on this site.  There's some great inspiration to be had out there.  This whole running and reading about running business is very addictive.  You might have to book me into the Betty Forde Clinic for Excesses before the year's out.  image

• Options

Hey. Tikka, how're them tendons doing? Have you been good and stayed off them, or are you slipping out now and then for a surreptitious stroll?

I've just finished with a conference that involved 28 hours of meetings over 2 days (I kid you not) and I am (a) totally knackered and (b) climbing the walls so I've decided that tomorrow I just HAVE to go and have at least a teensy trot even if it leaves me hobbling. I will at least be able to tell the fizz on Monday where it hurts!

But how's the recovery coming? Is the irritation subsiding now? It sounded like you had to get to that point before you could start building up again.

David, that sounds like a rather fun combination of racing and orienteering! Hope you enjoy it image)

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

Hi Chuggers.   Mmmm.... wish I could say I've been sitting with my leg in an ice pack resting, resting, resting but already you know me so well - I've been sneaking in a couple of those surreptitious strolls you mentioned.  I'm just not built to sit around doing nothing.  I need one of those tranquilisers they give the elephants at the zoo to calm them down!  I've cut down drastically though, I'm not walking nearly as much as I normally do. 

Progress is very slow - in fact, I'm not even sure if it can be called progress.  I thought things were a lot better last night so stopped taking the Ibuprofen, which make me feel quite sick, but once their effect had worn off I realised that the pain was as bad as ever.  I've got another appointment with the physio on Monday so I'll see what she says then.  If she says no walking at all I'm going to make a concerted effort to go to the gym and try the cross trainer or bike instead.

Sorry to add insult to injury (literally!) but when you were sitting through the conference from hell I was on a day's leave from work shopping, having coffee, lounging in the jacuzzi....  Back to porridge tomorrow though.

We'll compare notes again after our Monday appointments.  Enjoy your plod tomorrow, but don't forget to take your own advice and stop when the pain kicks in image

• Options

Hey

I did my first 5K on Sunday image

It was a bit of a last minute decision, I didnt have the confidence to do it, but got persuaded by a couple of forumites, and it was brilliant - I am hooked - even if I did walk some of it (no way I would have run it all off a run1/walk1 week!)

Bad side though is that I did it in ordinary trainers (didnt really consider myself as running enough to get running shoes) and I have been hobbling to at least some degree ever since.  So get shoes everyone!!!

lounging in a jacuzzi, eh?  All right for some image

Brufen is good, but makes a lot of people feel sick.  If you are taking it for more than a week or so, it might be worth asking your doctor re. something to help protect your stomach if you are fairly sensitive (or try Gaviscon or something)

Bike is good image

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

Barking, if you are only at the Run 1/Walk 1 stage and managed to run a fair bit of a 5K, it's no wonder you're hooked - that's fantastic!  You're right to be thrilled, it looks like you're going to be a natural.  Roll on the next one!

Unfortunately I don't have a bike - the streets where I live are too busy and I wouldn't get the use out of it - so I'd have to do the stationary bike in the gym which I'm guessing is a tad monotonous in comparison to being out in the fresh air?  I might just have to get used to it though if the physio says on Monday no more walking.

Go and get some new shoes, Barking, and keep us informed how the training's going.  It'll give me an idea of the competition I'm up against if and when I ever do get started!

• Options

Bike in the gym isn't so bad - I started going to the gym again a week ago - tis a bit boring but there is in built TV - or I take my mp3 and contemplate the meaning of life.  Thats something I can't do on the treadmill, if I stop concentrating I start sliding off the back/into the front/off to the side - hours (well, minutes) of amusement for everyone else at the gym, no doubt image

I'm no natural image They didnt get me in any pictures (they were all concentrating on the lady dressed as a dragon just ahead of us) - although looking through them I was beaten by (very) old people, kids, fancy dress people. Ah well.  I enjoyed it.  Only 290-something out of about 300 image

Been to look at shoes.  Shop has to order some more in for me to try.  Contemplating being naughty and buying online instead though, or possibly waiting and toddling down to London for the FLM expo, cos that sounds like FUN image

Anyone else thinking about going down?

And Tikka - less of the "if", thankyou VERY much.  You will be up and at it before you know it image  When you do will have to meet up so you can beat the pants off me at a 5K image

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

LOL, Barking - that'll be the day when I charge past anyone on the race course, let alone you! 

I'm a bit down today because someone has suggested I might have a stress fracture and from how she describes her own symptoms, they're sickeningly similar to mine.  If that's the case, what with my osteoporosis and everything, I could be looking at months of a lay-off.

<Note to self:  must think positively, must not assume the worst, a positive attitude speeds up the healing process....>

• Options

Hi all

Gym's are ok, it depends on the individual

the only down sides to a gym are

you have to get to one ! and

treadmills are not running on the road, and if your road running, your on the road the moment you leave the house 

having said that, some people for what ever reason don't want to train on the road

so, if the gym is for you, then good, go for it

for me, by the time i get to the lesiure centre and into the gym , - and out of gym , out of leiure centre and and back home , 36 mins - 44 mins   i can have run 10k !

• Options

Ah Tikka, would that be Mrs Pig?

Well whatever happens, it is your attitude that will get you through.  As people have said before, no reason at all that you cant run with osteoperosis or virtually any other medical condition (and yes, I have had docs laugh at me when they found out, but that is their problem, now I have found a GP who thinks it is a good thing rather than a stupid one (activity that is, not a stupid GP......)

*removes foot from mouth*

Thing to remember as well is that everything that you do will help - whether that is running, or if it is swimming (very good for getting control of your breathing as well as overall fitness) or cycling (very good for the legs, judging by how much I ache after a few minutes on the bike at the gym), or even aquajogging (see the thread by Mrs P about stress fracture)

I'm lucky now, Mick, as I have the council LC about 10 mins walk from the house and it means I can go somewhere safely in the dark/wet/cold etc for a couple of quid a time.  Never went where I lived before though - 10 minute drive, 10 minutes to find some parking, pay to park - it was far too much hassle - but I have no excuse now, really (self-kick up backside administered)  image

PMA.  Positive Mental Attitude.  Or as Mick says "easy, easy, easy" -right Mick image

• Options
    And if you need a kick about PMA, read the thread started by Doug called "I keep Collapsing" image
  • Options

I'm lucky now, Mick, as I have the council LC about 10 mins walk from the house and it means I can go somewhere safely in the dark/wet/cold etc for a couple of quid a time.  Never went where I lived before though - 10 minute drive, 10 minutes to find some parking, pay to park - it was far too much hassle - but I have no excuse now, really (self-kick up backside administered)  image

PMA.  Positive Mental Attitude.  Or as Mick says "easy, easy, easy" -right Mick image

Magic - Go for it !!

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

It was Mrs Pig. She's really suffering. I feel exactly the same as her - frustrated to the point of wanting to kill dead things! I do get what you're saying though, Barking. I need to start cross training because at the very least it will making running easier when I do get started. And I suppose I should go and have my leg investigated to see if it is a stress fracture instead of just guessing because at least then I'll know what I'm dealing with.

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭
    Whoa, Barking, I'm so glad you directed me to Doug's thread.  You won't hear me moaning again about my paltry leg injury.  Talk about inspirational - I've printed out his thread to read and read again every time I'm tempted to feel sorry for myself.  Wonderful, wonderful man.  I feel privileged to have "met" him through his posts.
  • Options

Me too Tikka

Tis the kind of thread that reminds me about life

(and gives me a good kick up the backside when I need it)

Ooh - and with the wanting to kill dead things - can I recommend punching pillows instead of walls - walls hurt (unless they are plasterboard, and then you make holes in them image .... not that I ever have, honest)

Frustration can be a very destructive emotion - challenge that energy - and remember it when you are running in the future and feel there is no way in hell you can keep running until the damn second hand makes it all the way back to the "12" and the 60 seconds are up - its quite useful then image

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

You're funny, Barking!  (Funny ha ha, not funny peculiar image ) Have you read Doug's latest post c/o Theodore Roosevelt?  Another one for the kitchen wall.

<Goes off to the airing cupboard to check out the pillow situation>