Options

Reebok Bristol Half Marathon 2008

2»

Comments

• Options

Years since I did any running and am now entered in this half marathon. I can probably manage to get out two....maybe three times a week. My question is, since it is now May, how far should I be running right now?

In  my mind I want to run around two hours (not at all sure if that is a realistic goal or not) any advice on how far and how fast  I should be going now would be much appreciated.image

• Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

Kenny, there are training schedules hidden away on this website somewhere - have a look in the "training" tab at the top of the page

• Options
    hi all just sign up. i just did my first half marathon on sunday in tewkesbury. ( it was soooo Hot) and now looking forward to this one
  • Options

Hi everyone.

Have entered this- back in Feb,  Hoping for 1.40 this time, was hoping for it Last sunday at Tewkesbury but like Daniel Gabb said it was just way too hot , managed 1.45 [very pleased] but have a few months until Bristol so hopfully it will work out this time. image

• Options
    Hi there, If anyone is looking for a place in the Bristol Half Marathon and your too late then you are in luck; run the distance for Fairbridge (supporting disaffected inner city youth - giving them a chance to believe in themselves and to realise their potential).

It will cost you £34 each and you get a Merrell jacket and team support and facilities.

If you would like to join me in supporting the cause then please contact henry.lawes@fairbridge.org.uk

Cheers

Rita
  • Options

Do you want my place?

I entered this year's BHM and cannot make it it clashes with a family do that weekend.

I phoned the organisers and they said I cannot get a refund, but I can transfer it to another person.  Do you know of someone else - eg friend/family who would like to do it?

I ask that you give me the price of the ticket.  I am not a tout, so I do not want to profit.  You can do this once you are happy that the transfer has taken place properly. 

Have run this race many times in the past - barefoot! I detail it on my blog:

www.barefeetrunner.blogspot.com in case you don't believe me!

Email me for details: yannipapastavrou at yahoo.co.uk (replace " at " with the usual email @ symbol)

Happy training all, it's a fantastic event and I am sorely disappointed to miss out this year.  

• Options

I'm in.

And to use a local expression.....it's MINT!

Did it last year for the first time and clocked 2:02 because I started too far back. If you want a decent time put in a slightly ambitious finishing time to get in the right pen for the start.

Don't get too ambitious or you may find yourself standing next to some skinny Nigerian and Steve Cramat the front!

As for the Queens Square cobbles if you don't fancy them (and I didn't) the gutter next to the pavement is the right size so go along the double yellow lines.

And for anyone following the training plan....100 minutes today with the BIG training run of 155 next sunday.  

SEE YOU ON THE PORTWAY YOU BUGGERS! image

• Options
    does anybody know when the race packs are to be sent out?
  • Options

Usually two weeks before the kick off. So next week I'd imagine.

And to everyone running on the Portway today.....CHRIST wasn't it ever hot?  I'm still aching after the 100 minute traning run and I have found that Lucozade Sport even when watered down still slides down like a lump of coal and sits there.

It also fills my mouth with something resembling wallpaper paste. So back to water for me. Gloucose ain't my thing it seems.

• Options
    How do they organise the starts?  I'm aiming for 1:40 so I don't want to be hanging around for too long...
  • Options

I'm in it, this will be my third in succession, and I always find it a brilliant race image

Windscale they put you in coloured sections depending on your projected time. I wrote 1h39, because that is defintely what I'm after, and hopefully that moves me over a time boundary too. Last year I'm pretty sure they messed it up because I was waaayy in the back and that tends to make the first half of the race very shuffly

• Options

There is a different colour on everyones number. Yellow numbers go in the yellow pen. Or the way it worked last year, blue, green, purple and yellow numbers go in the yellow pen.

You then have the delight of following someone down Hotwells road on their mobile saying 'I'm on Hotwells road, yes I'm running now'.

You don't say.

• Options

Hmmm.  I think I put too slow a time on my original entry by a long way for what I'm capable of running now image.  I did e-mail them and ask to update my estimate but I never heard anything back...

• Options
    There are 2 waves to the start this year. I think 1:45 is the break between them, so 1:39 will get you into the first and each wave will be sub-divided. What happens if you put 1:45 down I'm not sure
  • Options

Thanks for the info musketeer, sounds like they are rethinking the organisation of the start this year, which has to be good news.

In any case, my advice to anyone is get out into your section fairly promptly before it gets filled upimage

• Options
    What sort of time do you need to get there to be at the front of your "pen?"
  • Options
    Hello all, I have a number spare for the Bristol Half, if anyone is interested, send me an e-mail through the site image
  • Options
    Looking forward to this, will be my first ever event.
    When do you get to put down your projected time?
  • Options

LINE UP! SINGLE FILE...no talking in the ranks...right you motley crew numbers and t shirts have been issued.

Number colour and wave...me first

blue

wave one

• Options
    Haven't had my number yet image
  • Options

Woo stuff arrived 

yellow

wave 1

• Options
    look for a pie eating waddler sporting the number 12349 :X
  • Options
    I have a number I can no longer use, due to some recent surgery (last tuesday!!!)  If anyone wants it, then e-mail me through the site.  I am not looking for a profit, just to  nearly cover my costs, so I would be after £25 for it.  Hope all goes well for those of you that are running.
  • Options

I have my number now and the way it seems i am blue wave 1. however i think this is way too far forward for me. My prediction when i entered in feb was 1.35 but its looking more like 1.45-1.50 due to having alot of time off.

The problem is now do i start in the blue pen of wave 1 and probably go off too fast or hold others up or do i drop into the purple pen of wave 2 which i think may hold me up a bit. I asume white is the front of wave 1 and green is the front of wave 2 which i think the front of wave 2 is where i need to be.

Any advice what to do?

• Options
    PFS I think you shouldn't worry about it. I'm blue wave 1 too and will probably run only just under 1.40...there will be many who haven't quite trained the way they hoped and I doubt you'll hold people up
  • Options

GoneForAPurter I'm one of those who are going to run much slower than predicted, when I entered I was on course for sub 1:40.00 but in June I damaged my medial meniscus doing the Southend Half in 1:39.50 I've had load of hospital/doctor visits/appointments and i'm still awaiting an MRI scan but like most nutty runners I'm feedup with the 4 month layoff so I recently did two races (with no Training) just to see how the knee would  hold up, I ran a 10K two weeks ago and did a Half Marathon on sunday and luckily the knee seems ok so I hope to hobble round in just under two hours.

• Options

I am in wave 1 and hoping to get around before they re open the Portway and I compete with lorries.

But seriously folks!

If I do 1:45 I will be very happy. At the start don't get too close to the skinny Kenyans, and get into the kerb and let them all go. I have been told it will be a similar experience to running back wards with all these straining skinny people shooting past.

Then enjoy the Portway and try not to laugh at the caualties stretched out on Redcliffe roundabout covered in space blankets having Lucozade Sport poured into their mouths because they went too quick too early.