Options

Kent Coastal Marathon

Well, let's face it guys, somebody had to start this one off. Sorry if I have stolen your thunder Cliff!

Comments

• Options
    I'm up for it as it's a Kent GP event. It'll be my fourth time. Found it very comfortable going last year compared to heat I'd experienced the first 2 times I ran it.
  • Options

I might have known you would be first one in on this Scotty!

• Options
    I don't believe it, I look away for a few seconds and someone, CB, has beaten me to my lifelong aim of starting the 2008 KCM thread. I only wanted to start it so that I could demand to finish last again!image
  • Options
    Clif face - How hilly is the 2nd half of this race? I know the 1st half very well.
  • Options

Tracey

Apart from a slow drag at mile 25 it is pretty flat, similar in many ways to the Thanet 10.

• Options

Hi All,

I'm weighing this one up for my Autumn marathon. I live in Swansea, but I'm from Surrey originally, so thought I'd combine it with a trip home!

I'm looking for something pretty fast and spectator friendly as I hope to have two infants on the route!!! I've done London x 3, Cardiff x 3, NY, Wolverhampton & Neolithic.

What's it like to drive to on the day? Will there be plenty of places for the family to stand and watch, or do something far more interesting?!! It seems flat, but nobody rates it for PB potential - or is that the wind or previous history for hot days?

Anything else that may swing it?!!

Cheers! 

• Options

Cable

When you ask about driving on the day, I take it you don't mean from Swansea but from Surrey. Depends where you are in Surrey but probably a 90 min drive to the start. The route is coastal and a figure of eight. There are lots of places for spectators and loads of things for kids too on the route. We have big sandy beaches at both Broadstairs and Margate and all the usual seaside "culture". As far as terrain goes the first half is undulating, with a few fairly rigorous up and downers but the second half is pretty flat with one short but fairly sharp drag at mile 25. Hope this helps, but no doubt others will pitch in and try to convince you.  

• Options

Thanks Bill,

Yes, a drive from East Surrey was the plan! I was hoping not to drive 90 mins and then have to find my way around, park miles away, etc.! - It's amazing how lazy you are before running 26 miles!!!!!!

Right - down to Kent Coastal or Abingdon it is then!!!!!!

Cheers!

• Options
    Cable - Do both image 
  • Options
    Good shout Tracey. Thanet is definitely worth doing Cable, the children will love the beaches and we are only one hour from Clacketts. Go for itimage
  • Options

Right - I'll suggest to the family the beaches - sorry, but I don't think I'll be allowed to do both!!!

I'm ten mins from Clacketts so perfect!!

I'm sure I'm in, so no doubt will be catching up again closer to the date.

Cheers all!

Back to London training!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Cable - This marathon has more for the kids to do, as you have the beach. I have also doing Abingdon, there was a playground there but that is about it. We have a few  kites which will keep my husband and the kids busy on the beach. There usual a kids fun run, which is always a bonus.
  • Options

Cliff face - Do you think we have sold this race to Cable.

Cable - Thanet RC are a very friendly club and put on great races. Btw I am not a member of their club.

• Options

This is a great way to convince the wife! 'Right, I'm running another marathon, but have a look, I've been asking about you and the kids?!!'

Right - I'll back off this forum for a while so you can get back to talking about the running!!!

Thanks all!

• Options
    The ice creams have not been mentioned yet.
  • Options
    I was getting drunk on the fumes from the Rum & Raisin that Ashley Smith and Itchyringer had a few years back at mile 10.image Suffice to say that Ashley took a wrong turning.
  • Options

Scotty - What about the lovely flap jacks image

• Options
    I won a lovely spot prize at the 2006 half marathon.
  • Options

blimey looks like Im not needed in here to plug this race.image 

As one of the organisers I am clearly biased but you will love this race cable.  A fairly testing firts half with a couple of undulations and a virtually pancake flat second half.  If the wind and sun behave I think its possible to run fast on this course.  There are loads of great places for your family to spectate and lovely beaches for them to visit.  Great Ice creams for the famous Morellis in Broadstairs, Fish and Chips.  etc.etc  Hope to see you there.

• Options
    Mark - It is a nice race. Who is on bike duty?
  • Options
    Tracey  Not sure yet as we have only just started to organise bits.  Are you going to do it this year ?
  • Options
    I might, it depends on my husband. I asked Hippo do it, but she is probably doing Wolverhampton Marathon.
  • Options
    awww shame  its about time hipps came to pay us a visit in Thanetimage
  • Options
    Mark - Hubby will not let me do the marathon, so it is the half for me. Anyway Cinders says she might do it, as she has enough brownie points image
  • Options
    Strange that Tracey, my wife always encourages me to run further distances, she is even trying to push me into Ultras. I can't quite work out where her sudden enthusiasm for my running has come from as she never comes and watchesimage
  • Options
    Cliff face - Do you feel unloved?
  • Options

And she says not to be worry taking a key, just ring the doorbell when you're back?!! - All sounds fine to me!!

Sorry to be back - but Tracy your comments about how friendly Thanet RC made me think and I've noticed that they were good enough to contact me on a forum I set up while trying to establish a marathon in Swansea.

I will DEFINITELY be entering as it sounds a lot like what I'm trying to get going in Swansea - although possibly each October, and, as you say, I'm impressed with what I hear of Thanet RC.

Quick question - How does the half work alongside the full? Does everyone start at the same time like Wolverhampton, or staggered like old Cardiff? And I'm sure it is only one lap? And do the full runners get the first numbers or the last ones?!!!!

Thanks again

• Options

Cable  the course is a sorta figure 8 so everyone starts together and runs the first out and back loop.  Then the marathon runners go past the finish of the half and run the second loop which goes in the oposite direction and then loops back to the finish.  We also have different coloured numbers for each race so its easy to spot which runners are on half or full.  Also the actual finish funnels are in the same area but seperate.

We look forward to welcoming you to our race Cable and please ask any questions you like, its fantastic  that you are trying to set up a new race and I wish you every sucess with it.  Have you got a date yet ?

• Options

That all sounds familiar, like Cardiff (apart from the 2nd lap in the opposite direction - sounds interesting!!) - personally, I quite like that feeling when the crowds around you go in one direction to finish and it's another five minutes before you see another runner! So I'm used to that!

Earliest possible date is October 09 for Swansea, I just need buy-in from council. I'm only looking at a 3-400 entrant full marathon, no half, using predominently cycle paths, so minimal disruption. We'll see!

See you in September - I'll be the one running round with a clipboard and pen taking notes as I go!!!! 

• Options

Cable - how do you know about my wife and the doorbell? I think that you are more familair with this part of the country than you are letting on!!

I am glad that you have opted to come to our race, I am sure thatyou won't be disappointedimage