Options

Dronfield 10K

Comments

• Options
    remember the road closures around the race so dont leave it too late. i try not to wrap up too much cos as soon as you start running you get warm anyway. im sure the rain will keep off...
  • Options
    Hey Beth...

Yes a safety pin in each corner will suffice and the numbers aren't made of just paper so they won't break don't worry...

I will be running in 3/4 running capri bottoms and a dri-fit t-shirt. I get really hot when running though!

Have you been training? You will enjoy it! 10k is a lovely distance to run
  • Options

Hi there-thanks for great advice everyone-sorry about the thick comment about the safety pins!

Well, hope I've done enough training to get me round without having a medical mishap! Been doing 6 miles three times a week for about 5 weeks plus a bit of speed work in between. This is all new for me though so don't know if the fact I've only been doing for such a short space of time is a problem. On the plus side, if someone had suggested 2 months ago that I would even be contemplating this-I would have laughed my socks off!

• Options

You'll be fine Beth - thats a pretty good training routine you have there.  I've only been on the roads once - rest of my training for the last 3 months has been indoors in the gym.

Look out for me and two mates running for "Lupus UK" and say hello - we've got our vests and t-shirts so its bound to be sub zero weather now image

• Options
    Blimey-that makesme feel rather cold, running in me underwaer! Cheers-will look out for youimage
  • Options
    Beth you'll be totally fine don't worry. You done loads of training so it seems! You've ran the distance loads of time an probably put most of us to shame with all your 6 mile runs! I haven't been running since 10 mile run on Friday (training for Sheff half next month) but have been cross training with a few walks, 3 spin classes and a fit ball class.

I'm no 26 - look out for me! I will be sporting a beetroot face after the first mile!
  • Options

Hi H  image

No time expectations for me - it'll be the longest I've run since Brighton 10k in November. At least it can't be any windier than it was that day!

Coming back up to see my parents plus a friend in Nottingham. And maybe one or two from North Derbyshire RC who I know from way back when I used to run with them

#72 in a blue Ranelagh vest

• Options

Hi-and thanks so much for your support. I think I am looking forward to it now but have looked at met office weather for Sunday and.. for my first ever running race since the age of 15 (which is a long time ago!)- they have given warnings of severe weather. Ha-just my luck! But am reassured that I will be amongst such supportive people and if I can finish to get that medal and have a Sunday lunch with Stella-that'll do me just fine.

I'm no. 702- so when you find me collapsed on side of road in sunny Dronfield, just give me a kick up the backside

• Options
    Not looking forward to the hillsimage just been filled in that the main hill goes on for 2 miles
  • Options

Sunday 16th March Weather

Sunrise 06:18 (GMT)
    Sunset  18:08 (GMT)

Light Showers

Max Temp      8 degrees C

Wind                14 mph North North Easterly

Visibility          Good

Pressure        1005 mb

Humidity         86%

UV Index        1

Atmospheric Pollution - Moderate

Well it seems quite a nice day then. I will be there as always in my black t shirt and black shorts rain or shine.

Aitch

hi no not been on for a while just too busy. Training has been interrupted too but should be fine still for a reasonable time.

• Options
    dont know who told you that DM did this one last year its a two lap course so that means 4 miles would be up one hill with three hills on the first lap this would be one though run  
  • Options

Oh and i am number 38 this year image

Hills are all easyimage

• Options
    hi KPO not doing this one but i would agree with you have a good run  all of  you
  • Options

Thanks Foo, saw in the Sheffield thread you have an injury, hope it is getting better. Is that why you aren't running dronny???image

Aitch i hope you aren't going to start accusing me of stalking you again if you are going at same time as me, remember i said when i was going first image

• Options
    doing sheff lord mayours 10k why they had to be on the same day is anyones guess  
  • Options

Well, curiousity killed the cat with me.....I dont know Dronfield very well (only where the Hallowes is as I've been a bit blindo drunk with my mate in there a few times)....so I got my mate Hazel to try and work through the course with me.......

From what I can work out - theres a mini-monster to start off, then a gradual increase and a bit of flat, more slight incline followed by another mini monster up towards where the bakery is (that road isn't as steep as some may suggest)....then you've got a gradual drop, followed by a slightly larger drop, back to the start area where you miss the first big out and sort of go back out again (minus the mini monster at the start)....I must have got the course right because it worked out almost bob on for 10km!

I'm taking a newbie runner out for his first road run.....I daren't tell him - so if you hear someone towards the back shouting and encouraging someone, both wearing a Lupus UK shirt - it'll probably be me egging my mate Karl on.

Should definately be a good pipe opener for me as its my first big run since the Sheffield Half last year.  I was looking at sub 1 hour but.....I think sub 1hr 10 will be good for us.

Good luck everyone - watch out for the potholes on the carpark where I think we will congregate before the start - a few ankles might get turned on there!

• Options

spot on Mike the first two hills come as a suprise to the system but if taken easy the rest is a piece of cake

good luck  

• Options

Anyone getting the jittersimage

Was wondering will the start be sign posted from dronny centre. Im crap at directions.

• Options

DM - there are signs up on lamposts saying "delays expected - dronfield 10km" - so I would guess there will be some sort of direction to start.

But to give you a better idea - I think its "gorsey brigg" where we will be starting - theres a whole clump of porta-loos awaiting to be spread out and that.....so the google map (I think) will be this one

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=gorsey+brigg&near=Dronfield,+Derbyshire&fb=1&view=text&latlng=53301564,-1494491,2894713501335438955

I hope I'm right - its the first time I've done the race - but after a quick check around the course - it seems likely its gonna be there or thereabouts.

Mick

• Options
    Cheers mick and good luck everyone. Post your times later
  • Options
    Ha ha ha KPO I just saw your post about being a stalker - I'd totally forgotten about that!! If I see number 38 I will hide (no seriosuly, I'm joking) LOL!

Good luck everyone, will report later!
  • Options
    47 and something seconds. Blew my lungs apart. There are some fit Vets out there, when im 50 i would love to still be able to run. Nice warm feeling inside now of fuzzyness
  • Options
    Well, 59 minutes and something seconds-I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But-where do these people get such speed and stamina from? Some blokes shot past me like the proverbial off a shovel-not that I was going fast but they were treating it like a 100m sprint. Good on em! That's me first one and one of many I hope. Well done Dirt Monkey-that is a time to be very proud of, dont think I'll ever get to that
  • Options

I know what you mean Beth. I bet there are people out there thisafternoon with some sore lungs. Tried sprinting a bit and kept burning out. It was a good one to do as your first as the atmosphere was great.

A Chinese and stella on the cards now so i can sit back and enjoy the day thinking of earlier.image

• Options
    I was a bit disappointed today, felt really good all way round but finished in just under 46 minutes, having said that i quite enjoyed the morning. I think i will join you with the stella and chinese tonight DM image
  • Options

Hey fellow runners - First time for me - even though I live in Dronfield Woodhouse!! 53:14 (respectable time?) I loved it anyway, buzzed all the around - definitely do it next year - will push much harder & hopefully run a bit quicker. 

The organisers did our little town proud - despite all those Chelsea tractors trying to ram us off the road!   image

• Options
    I managed 57 or 58 (we'll see when the results are posted) which knocked 6 or 7 minutes off my PB which I was pleased with. It actually turned out to be fab running weather!!

BM - very respectable time, well done!

Beth - well done on a fab time and your first 10k. I'm glad you got such a buzz from it!
  • Options
    KPO - why are you so annoyed? That's an ace time! I was keeping my eyes peeled but couldn't spot you!
  • Options
    Thanks Aitch-I didnt know if this was an ok time really when you see some of the other times however for a 42 year old that probably couldnt have run for a bus in December-I'm just chuffed that I got around and really enjoyed it.
  • Options

Well done to all, there are some great times posted.

I was very impressed with the organisation and marshalling of the race, 

A big thank you to the organisers and helpers

I achieved half of what I set out to do, which was to get round without walking, but finished in  just over  60 minutes. I really wanted to sprint down the last bit, but was very tired,and my legs just wouldn't go any quicker.  

I now need to find another 10k in that sort of area, any suggestions?