Options

New Forest Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hi everyone - after a great Shakespeare marathon I'm ready for this one , I did the half last year and enjoyed it so much it was then I decided to press out to marathon. But where is online entry? should I down load that form right now or wait till the online entry arrives?

After Stratford I really wanted another marathon but there are no local conveinient ones midsummer - so this is the best one. Wolverhampton is on the 7th , part of me fancies doing that as a training run but perhpas I should just do the half.

I'm off down to the New Forest over Whit and hope to get some really decent long runs in - the Solent Half course is good from Calshot where we are staying. I can run along the beach too.
  • Options

Hi All

I am considering doing this as my first full marathon. I have only ever done 1 half before. What do you think good choice for a first marathon?  

• Options

Hi Anton

The answer to your question depends on your outlook. Do you want enjoyable scenery although at times you could be running and enjoying that on your own? Do you want an undulating course with a few challenging hills? Do you enjoy the countryside and the aroma of pine resin, damp leaves and horse dung? Easy! Choose the New Forest Marathon. Alternatively do you prefer a flat run around housing estates looking at parked cars? Do you prefer town centres and the smell of kebab shops, exhaust fumes and dog poo? Do you like to run with a crowd? The New Forest cannot offer any of that and I know where I would prefer to run my first marathon.

• Options

Thanks Bill

Since you put it that way I can't see why I would want to run anywhere else. Ok I am going to do it.

Now I have said that I have gotten very nervouse. Plenty of time to train though I am sure I'll be fine...

• Options
    I sent off my entry this morning along with the Cheltenham Circular challenge 26.2.

Been out for a 12 miler this morning and my ankle which I twisted a week ago is hurting!
  • Options
    did this last year as my first marathon - fantastic experience - organisers messed up the start and it was delayed but i dont hold it against them. thinking of having another go this year but the training takes so much time. just ticking along with 5 milers at the moment. see how it goes
  • Options

i've signed up for the half but am thinking of changing to the marathon as i'm supposed to be doing a 19 mile training run for the abingdon mara and figured maybe it's best to run the first 19 of this then walk.

does anyone know if there's a cut off time?

or if it would be possible to swap?

thank you image

• Options
    Best to email the organisers RD. I did the circular challenge - it was much tougher than I thought but I ran where I could and scrambled up the cotswold hills. I went the wrong way a few times as I was on my own and ran over 25 mins in the worng direction . Possibly more like 30 miles then!! Did a 7 mile XC *the Gate Gallop* this Sunday after resting all week but found I was very stiff and slow. A Half marathon this weekend!

Can't wait for this Marathon!
  • Options

Well, I've been looking around for a marathon for around late Sept, early Oct, and this is about the only one I can find, so guess I could be joining you folk!!

Will be my second only (after Paris 2007) and I haven't got as much training time as I'd like, but running a steady 20mile/week at the mo anyhow, so should be able to step it up quickly..

Looks nice and I understand the 'multi-terrain' definition is minimal more a technicality (only a few k on trails I believe), so I'm aiming to better my 4:02 time for Paris..although only 12 weeks 'structured' training, so we'll see! image

• Options
    I have just sent off my entry form so I hope I am not too late. I am really looking forward to it now.
  • Options
    hey RD, the website for the marathon says you can switch from full to half..i guess you would have to ask about switching the other way. cut off is 5.5 hours - i have just entered!
  • Options
    I've just entered too - only my second marathon. My first was the south downs marathon last month, which brings me to my question.. does anyone know if the new route for this marathon still has the 'killer hill' as someone described it at about 19 miles or not? In fact, can anyone shed any light on where any of the hills are? Sorry for my fixation about hills - it's a preoccupation that I've inherited following the South Downs Marathon! I'm aiming to do this in around 4 hours - didn't get anywhere near that for the SDM. Anyone done both? If so, what were your time differences? ( CHeers all - happy training!
  • Options
    Richard , the South Downs marathon sounds absoloutly great , I love that part of the country. I did the New Forest Half last year and the course undulates gently - I've walked and cycled all over the New Forest and it justs undulates and thats that. Wonderful scenery though, I had the choise of this marathon or Wolverhampton - no contest really.
  • Options

The 'killer hill' at 19 miles is not on the new course but there is a long drag at 22 miles same as before.

After that it is fairly flat and not as hilly as the old course. 

• Options
    yippy.. 'the killer hill at 19 miles is not on the new course' and the words 'undulates gently' are just what I wanted hear  - looking forward to it! thanks guys!image 
  • Options

I did SDM - there are no hills in the new forest (generally) to compare to the south downs course. I'll be doing new forest marathon, from all i've heard, it's great.

If you get tired, you could even hop on one of the wild ponies image

• Options

hi witchy! i think i'll email them - are you doing this as a training run too?

forgot to say, i'm not doing fairlands - too many away days!

ponies sounds a grand idea, sov! 

• Options
    I see this is full now - game on then!

I've a streaming cold and cough at the moment so the thought of even walking outside is too much!

I'm doing the Trentham 10 mile in Stoke next week (I hope) then it's two weeks camping in Biarittz, hopefully to get some serious mileage in - always easier on holiday it's great for exploring.
  • Options

phew, just got my entry in last week, so looks like I did it in the nick of time..next step is too book a campsite for the weekend ! any recommendations?

rd/sov - not so sure about the pony idea.. seem to remember they were pretty grumpy miserable things the last time I was in new forest.. reckon I'll steer well clear !

• Options
    Scrabble - just be aware of the business of the roads in the New Forest area when choosing a site , too far away and you'll be rushing to get there. I'm lucky in that I am a member of the private Calshot caravanning club right on the solent. A long drive to the start but well worth it. Ironically it's just up the road from the superb Solent Half Marathon - a fantastic half indeed and the week after this I think.
  • Options

Thanks Mike, will keep it in mind..

The good lady is actually now suggesting a B&B, so given I'll probably get a better nights sleep, that may be the option we go for!

• Options

I last did this one in 2004, so glad to read that the course has been changed. Not just because of 'killer hill at 19 miles', but as I remember it the route seemed turn into a bit of a rollercoaster for the section between 19 & 24 miles. So, no need to plan for that now?

• Options

There is a course profile on the Good Run Guide and a fly though thing that looks quite interesting. Anyway it does look pretty flat, thanksfully.

Link Thingy  

• Options

Regarding the changes made to this year's marathon course, and the fact that it has now been re-classified to a multi-terrain event. Are the changes likely to be so significant that competitors now need to consider wearing trail shoes rather than conventional road running shoes?

I wore regular running shoes last time (2004) without any grip problems at all.

• Options
    I believe the situation is that in order to be classified as a road marathon, there must be no more than 1.5 miles of the route which is off road. I think the new route has approx 3 miles on forest track and so cannot be classified as a road marathon. I think road shoes will be fine.
  • Options
    I've had my T shirt - when do I get the number?

Got a few really good long runs in on Lanzarote in the last two weeks but I'm knackered now!
  • Options

I think they are posting the race packs out on the 25th of August.

Training is going well, just need a few more long runs and I’ll be ready. Don’t think I am going to be as fast as I had hoped but as it is my first marathon I am guaranteed a PB!  

• Options

Ignore that, I have just got home and found my  race pack  has arrived.

• Options
    me too - i see they have allowed you to change races in the form, but only up until 15th august! seems a bit silly...
  • Options
    really? i emailed them before that but have had no response - emailed them again earlier. really hope i can swap - it makes so much more sense to do the full - wish i'd thought of it when i applied in the first place - doh!!