Options

Read any good books lately?

Comments

• Options

IW, Crashie is reading his way through the Lyndsey Davis books at the moment too. I read the first one but wasn't very keen, not really my cup of tea.

The Shack - quite enjoyed it, bit weird but not a bad read and quite moving in the end.

• Options

IW, yep, I've enjoyed the Falco books as far as Saturnalia; I think there's one more, as the books arrived with a list, courtesy of a mate of mine.Quite enjoyed them; inevitably, some are stronger than others. The ongoing background story of the characters' lives is probably what kept me reading, rather than the individual stories themselves; I found that I cared, which is probably the sign of a decent writer.

It also brought back a load of stuff that I'd learned for Latin O level image

• Options
    Just read another Jodi Picoult book called 'Salem Falls' which was quite good actually...
  • Options
    I'm reading non-fiction at the moment:
    The Rough Guide to Andaluciaimage
  • Options

my daughter is reading Jane Austens 'Emma' as part of her studies so I bought a copy so I can chat to her about it (she has to write an essay about it pretty much of her own effort over the year).  I wouldnt say it was gripping but its an entertaining read with believable characters.

• Options

I love Jane Austen. Of course, Pride and Prejudice is my favourite because I studied it but I do love Emma.

Apologies again if I'm repeating old ground (this thread, as many are, is so long and I've yet to figure out the search function!)... I'm a new forum member...I really liked 'A Million Little Pieces' a memoir by James Frey. It was a bit surprising to read about the controversy surrounding his 'memoir' after I read it although it did not detract from what I thought was a very moving and interesting book.

• Options

Crashie - yeah, I did Latin O level too - Julius Caesar's Gallic Wars. About the only sentence I remember now from 6 years of Latin slog is Carthago delenda est!

James Patterson's "Step on a Crack" I found a fantastic read. But I like his stuff anyway.

• Options

I've just read Kate Atkinsons 'When Will There Be Good News'. It's one of those books I've looked at a couple of times in the bookshops but the title has always put me off as I thought it would be a bit depressing but I know a few people have recommended it on here. Really enjoyed it, will certainly be reading more of hers.

Also just read Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell. An okay read, but a bit too much going on in it and couldn't really make out what was going on. Don't think I'll bother with any more of hers.

Halfway through Too Close To Home by Linwood Barclay (who wrote No Time for Goodbye) and really enjoying that one too.

• Options

Thought I'd boing this back up.

Just started reading 'The girl who played with fire' by Stieg Larsson, who wrote 'the girl with the dragon tattoo'. Pretty good so far image

• Options

I've just bought one of them Squishy, can't remember which one now! image

Just started "Bad Science" which is interesting but not unputtdownable. Looking forward to the chapter on Gillian McKeith.

• Options

Not 'Dr' Gillian McKeith anymore then Kwilter ;-)

When I'm not rushing between Liverpool and Newcastle I'm busy reading 'The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism ' by Naomi Klein... very unputdownable, quite scary and utterly convincing apart from one or two details.

• Options
    Currently reading Dean Koontz's latest take on "Frankenstein" called Dead & Alive. A bit of an anticlimax as I'd really enjoyed the first two books, the third book was in my opinion a bit disappointing
  • Options
    I'm reading Mein Kampf by the Austrian Madman - an evil book, and in parts boring, but essential reading.
  • Options

I was talking to one of the guys at work about laugh out loud reading and he mentioned Tom Sharpe who I had never read - well, the guy lent me some, I've just finished Riotous Assembly and it is hilarious!  Moving on to Ancestral Vices and I still have a couple more to go.  How this all passed me by when they came out I just don't know.

• Options
    If you've not read 'Porterhouse Blue' yet Steven Mac, I thoroughly recommend it.
  • Options

I'd agree, Corinth; there's not much that I find genuinely LOL-funny, but several Sharpes have had that effect on me.

I've enjoyed both of 'the Girl...' books by Larsson; good honest adventures with a very different heroine.

And a quick plug for 'Heights of Madness'; the story of one man and his bike visiting the highest point in every UK county (using the old boundaries)...by Johnny Muir, son of our very own knackeredknees.

• Options

Corinth, I haven't read that yet, it's on the "to do" list now.

Any other recommendations for LOL authors/books?

• Options

Depends what makes you LOL Steve Mac...

I've found these authors and books very LOL funny

Anything by Douglas Adams; Roddy Doyle (Particularly the Barrytown Trilogy) 'Lucky Jim' by Kingsley Amis; 'The History Man' by Malcolm Bradbury; 'A year in the Merde' by Stephen Clarke; 'And then we came to the end' Joshua Ferris....

• Options
    I'd add Terry Pratchett and Bill Bryson to the LOL author list (YMMV)
  • Options
    Yep, me too FF
  • Options

PG Wodehouse would be on my LOL list.

Think I my learn spanish so I can start the Partchett books again ...

• Options

Sue Townsend's Adrain Mole Series especially "the public confessions of a middle aged woman (aged  553/4)" and "the weapons of mass destruction" and of course the one that started the Adrian Mole series The secret diary of Adrian Mole (Aged133/4).

On a different slant some of the "Dialogues" of Plato were pretty funny ( talk about exercise in tedium)imageimage

• Options
    Just read Bateman's 'Mystery Man'. Absolutely cracking, laugh out loud stuff but gripping too. A 'must have' on your Christmas List image
  • Options
    I've just finished that Squishy... absolutely brilliant!
  • Options
    Will certainly read some more of his. Vaguely remember Murphy's Law from TV but would like to read them. Crashie and I have decided we'll buy loads of 2nd hand books from Amazon for our Christmas presents image Have you read any other of his Corinthian?
  • Options
    'Tubulant Priests' 'Shooting Shaun' and 'Belfast Confidential'  Squishy (Amongst other 'Dan Starkey novels I can't recall) ... similar dark humour, very visceral, very bleak but compelling and very rewarding... not quite as hilarious as 'Mystery Man' though.
  • Options
    I treated myself to a visit to Waterstones today, and went to the history factuals section....just have to hope I get either money of book vouchers, as there's loads I fancied getting. I settled on one about the British Tribes, to be followed once that's finished by one on the Wars of the Roses.
  • Options

LOL authors I would include Robert Rankin. Look for the Brentford Trilogy.

I just finished a book called the other hand, by , Chris Cleave. Utterly compelling I read it in 2 sittings and laughed and cried in public image. What made me buy it was the blurb on the back that says "We dont want to tell you what happens in this story....."

• Options
    Kwilter, I love hisorical stuff and have read loads on the Wars of the Roses, one of my favourite periods.