Options

Paris Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options
    Crikey, NGUG, that's a lot of miles!
  • Options

Sorry didnt say hi to Ian and Hudds. image

Have just gone and bought a Buff ATM - did you get the polar one or original?  Looks like I will need a bit of practise infront of the mirror to sort this out seems a bit longer than I imagined... feels nice and warm though.  Lots of directions on the card - saw the video on the website v.good.

Hope you are okay with your run/leg SophieM - new shoes really do help.  Really pleased with mine Asic GT2140.

• Options
    I was getting nervous about my 16 miler tomorrow until I read about your 40K NGUG!
  • Options
    Whether I do it or not is another matter!  Feels blooming freezing out there.
  • Options
    Hi to Ian and Hudds from me too.

Well had an enforced day off work today. really smowing hard here and as i have already declared my 'wimp' status in the snow running stakes and i have done my LSR on a friday for the last 2 weeks i thought i'd make the most of my day off and do another treadmill LSR.

Have just done 20 miles. how boring..but had ruth and eamon and loose women to keep me company and laughed at my dogs running in and out in the snow cos i had the patio doors wide open.

I didn't have any gels in either cos haven't made it to the shops so this run was done on lucozade sport and jelly babies. Felt absolutely fine. i will be really interested to see how my next LSR on the road feels.

Right, must my work myself up to watching the cheesy film on 5 this afternoon and quite possibly falling asleep on the sofa.

Oh, and being bored today has forced me to look at future races. I've booked a 10k 5 weeks after Paris and am seriously considering either booking Abingdon or Dublin marathon but not quite that brave yet.
  • Options
    correction 1/2 marathon 5 weeks after paris.
  • Options
  • Options
    Cor blimey NGUG that's some going..great training though. It's as much as i can do to do one marathon in a year let alone 2 in 2 weeks. hope the snow thaws for you for the LSR
  • Options
    Three weeks Splodge - three!!!  Can still back out if I want to at the mo but if still going ok after this will probably almost definitely go for both.  Want to see the recovery time I have after such a distance.  After 36km surprisingly quick. 
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    I'm seriously impressed by all these miles..19 planned for tomorrow but it seems a bit ambitious given I've only done 3 so far this week.

ah, the joys of playing with your buff. I can do Scott of the Antarctic and Maria from The Sound of Music...image I bought the original one. Thought the polar would be too warm* I also wear it under my bike helmet*
  • Options
    NGUG I think as long as you go at a slower pace than you would if you were only running one you should be ok...if that makes sense.

What is your plan? Are you gonna take Paris easy so you can give it some welly at London? or try to do both around the same speed? Just guessing but i wouldn't think it's very easy to run the second one faster?
  • Options

Splodge - not quite sure yet.  My main aim at the moment is to check that I am up to doing it - I do not want to injure myself or do anything silly.   My pt thinks I am bonkers (I am sure he is right) but capable of doing it and I've been with him nearly two years so probably knows more than I do on these things.  At the moment am building on endurance - I am not the speediest person in the world so will be building on that nearer the time and judging whether I can do both at the same pace or one slower and one faster.  Would like to do FLM faster but not sure it really matters - staying in one piece is the main thing!!image

Cool ATM - will have to have a play this evening..

• Options
    When i was ready to start the Abingdon marathon last year a lady spectator said to me 'just relax and enjoy the race'
    That was the best bit of advise i have ever had. I say it to myself many times now if i start to struggle. It changes your whole posture and keeps you positive.
    That wasn't the fastest of races for me and i struggled from mile 22 but it ended being the most positive uplifting experience.
  • Options
    NGUG - did you have the Asics 2130s before you got the 2140s? I've had several pairs but they're getting difficult to find now and I think I may have to move on. If so, are they pretty similar?
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    RR, you might still get them here...depending on your size.
    http://www.prodirectrunning.com/home.asp

• Options
    RR - no I had Saurcony trainers - Runners Need thought that the Asics 2140 would give me more support and I really like them.  The reviews I have read on them have been good too.
  • Options
    Slodge - good advice thats what it is all aboutimage
  • Options

GOT MY LETTER!!!!!!!!!!!Thank God and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

it all seems so real now! 5 miles hills for me tonight

• Options

Afternoon!

All this talk of trainers.......Hmmm...Not had a good experience here.  Got a pair of Kayano's which felt great in the shop...I (probably stupidly) ran 14 miles for the first time in them today...blisters galore.  All over my toes....It was not pleasant!  My hubby had a right go at me and said I was "stupid" for wearing new shoes on such a long run...he is probably right.  I wish I had just stuck to my Nike'simage.

Anyway, at least there is no snow here, lots of cold sun though...so much so, that for the first time since the Summer my face is full of freckles...nice!

So...14 miles in 2hours 22...so pace is a bit quicker for the LSR than was...worked out at 10.08 mm's...Here is a question...My marathon pace is meant to be 10mm, apparently.  Given that I feel fine doing LSR at about that pace, should I still aim for 10mm in the marathon?  I realise 14 miles is a long way off 26, but then I know you are meant to do the LSR 60 -90 secs per mile slower than race pace, which I tend not to (just because it would feel too slow and trudgy).  Not sure if anyone has any advice??

John...so glad the letter has come!  You can breathe a sigh of relief.

NGUG..I can't believe the mileage you are doing!  Go girl!  Just don't get injured!

ATM...glad your trainers appear to be ok...looks like you are being sensible and wearing them on shorter runs!!

RP

• Options
    i tend to do my runs at the 9m/m pace ill hope to do in paris, anything less seems to be almost a walk!
  • Options

ATM - how do you fit a polar bear under your bike helmet? image

• Options

Hi RP - sorry about your feet.  Hope your OT sees sense and treats you to a lush foot massage

10mm= marathon time of 4:22:30. I don't think it unreasonable to imagine that is sustainable if your original idea was asub 4:30 time. Perhaps the best time to think about your real marathon goal (with a decent asessment of how capable you are of achieving it) will come 3-4 weeks before the race.

Most of your training is done, you won't get much fitter than you are at that point, you have more data from your trasining runs to think about.

• Options

NIce one ATM. Think I will try and download this on my pod for running.

Rpanda! 14 miles and not a dicky bird about how tough it was or anything , AND you did it faster ! What a long way you have come, Good girl YOU. image

NGUG. Inspiring ( and I don't mean breathing in )

Dave- are you following Shades too? I also have a 14 this weekend and a 20 next weekend?

John. No turning back now. NOn monsieur! PS you getting grinds from the French teacher?

Splodge - when you get back on the road , slow down a bit for your  first few long runs as the muscles are a bit different and I almost strained myself trying to stay at the same speed I do on the treaddie.

Right folks. I guess we just have to dig in ( or out ,as some of you are  still snowbound) and get this weekends running out of the way,. Stay injury free and dont forget to report back here after image

Now off to check if the postie came today. Mackie did you get yours too?

• Options
    ATM - fantastic tune..definately one for the ipod running list.

just took the dogs over onto the hill.
    I feel like Victor Meldrew. I just ahve to moan.

I live across the road from the local country park which happens to be quite a big hill. Ideal for sledging. So the hill which is normally quiet (i see maybe 2 dog walkers each visit at this time of year)is awash with people having great fun in the snow. That's great!

But you should see the c**p they have left up there. There are so many old coal bags, bits of plastic, broken bin lids and broken sledges lying around it just looks awful.

I'm all for having fun but wish people would have a bit of respect and take their rubbish home with them.

Rant over
  • Options
    ooh fizz great minds think alike
  • Options

got a shorter long run this weekend - just 90 mins.... hope its safe enough on the roads by sunday - had to miss track tuesday but hey ho ... wont be the end of the world ....

stay on your feet everyone - no more injuries... image

• Options
    Did you know that you can wear a buff as a skirt if youa are skinny (and young) enough image
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    * struggling into an age-inappropriate buff boob-tube* SB, I need to get out more...
  • Options

Some great running by the ladies on here.Your showing us blokes up.

7 days without a run for me now.Today is the first time i've felt better than the previous day.I'm leaving it till Sunday to go running as i still have a choking cough.

Tomorrow is derby day in Sheffield.I'll burn off thousands of calories in nerves without doing any running.I'll be in the pub from 10.30am until shortly before kick off.Not ideal marathon training but there's carbs in lager so i'm told.