Options

FLM 2009

Comments

• Options

JG depends what you call out of the way, is in the Jubilee line, never been there myself so not sure who much you need to go once you come off the station.  Apparantly you get lots of goody bags so look forward to that, go to stand 130 which is the runners world one and you will get a goody bag.  I'll be there Wednesday as well.

By the way, I have been sent by the course that I did some pace information and I thought you will find it interesting as well.  Whatever you do, do not change your strategy, I just thought you could find it interesting.  The first one is based on a constant pace to achive sub 3:30, the bottom one is a race prediction chart which works as you slow down on the second half.

Constant Pace 1 mile 3 km5 km5 miles10 km10 miles1/2 Mar.20 milesMarathonmimagesmimagesmimagesmimagesmimagesmimagesh:mimagesh:mimagesh:mimages8:0014:5524:5140:0049:431:20:001:44:482:40:003:29:36

1 mile 3 km2miles5 km5 miles10 km10 miles1/2 Mar.20 milesMarathon6:2012:2313:2121:2535:3844:571:14:421:39:402:36:143:28:18

OK the magic wands might have to be replaced by a cap to keep cool.

• Options

Opps, cut and past does not quite work.image 

Constant Pace

1 mile--3 km--5 km--5 miles--10 km--10 miles--1/2 Mar--20 miles--Marathon

8:00--14:55--24:51--40:00--49:43--1:20:00--1:44:48--2:40:00--3:29:36

Race Prediction Chart

1 mile--3 km--2miles--5 km--5 miles--10 km--10 miles--1/2 Mar--20miles--Marathon

6:20--12:23--13:21--21:25--35:38--44:57--1:14:42--1:39:40--2:36:14--3:28:18

• Options

Thanks for that Rioja, gives me something to mull over.  Recent runs suggest an even pace for me. 

I'm thinking of going somewhere between the 3.15 and 3.30 pacing group and simply maintaining my Heart Rate in the 155-161 zone which suits me for at least 3 hours.  I've not gone past 3 hours 10 mins in my training, but I managed a 'fairly' even pace on those two runs, kinda blew up at the end, but then I hadn't tapered and didn't have drinks handed to me!!!!

I'm figuring out my route to the Start at the moment and wondering whether I can get away with turning up at 9am.  Literally throw my bag at the lorry and go to the pens (after a short toilet stop).  This will mean I don't need to get up until 630. 

Gives me 3 hours to digest breakfast (porridge and two cups of Columbian).  Lucozade on the way to start.

• Options

Two cups of Columbian jonathon...I'll see you fly past then by mile 8!! 

The heat is becoming a bit disconcerting..but can't grumble about it..may have to invest in a hat!!  The mornings have been a bit fresh up to 11am so fingers crossed we may get some respite for half the course!!  Then bring on dubai temps for the last 100m!!image

• Options

I've seen a few more encouraging forecasts for today. 60% chance of rain on Sat, and then 30% on Sunday. But hopefully the rain on Sat will clear away any humidity. I think it will be fine and slightly warm, but certainly nowhere near the current temps outside.

If it is warm, then its a matter of ensuring that the Lucozade is taken on at every opportunity.

Im also planning 4/5 gels...with the LS available at 5,10, 15,19 and 23, when do you all plan on taking gels? Presumably its better to substitute one of the stations above for a gel pitstop? If Im taking on 5 gels and 5 Lucozade, I'll be eating/drinking for the entirety of the course!

Im thinking LS at the markers above, plus gels at 7,12,17 and 22...however this sounds an awful lot?

• Options
    ...Don't forget your pint of Brandy at Breakfast Ian!! image
  • Options

I've been taking gels every 40mins during the training. so I don't plan to change for the race.  Like the fluids, you need to take something before you need it.  As for fluids, i may take water before the 40min mark if its hot, but Metcheck now forecasts rain!  In order to avoid another Michael Fish scenario, I think forecasters just hedge their bets- it will probably say sleet or hailstorms on tomorrow's prediction which will cover all weather types.

RL-those predictions are interesting.  I was hoping to go for negative splits if there's anything left in the tank in the last 6 miles.  See you tomorrow perhaps.  As long as you look the same as the photo on this site, i'll have no problem!  I'm not actually a silver stallion but will be in dark fleece with red/ white bands on it and a green rucksackimage

• Options

Hi folks.  I'll join you for a 3:30 too. 

A number of you have mentioned you think its going to be a hot one.  Has anyone got an official forecast yet?  I did the 2007 marathon as I'm sure many of you did and, because of the heat, slowed up by around 20 mins!  Don't want to repeat that on Sunday if poss.

Cheers and all the best.

• Options

Re Brandy at Breakfast: Bloke at work was telling me about his mate who was a seasoned marathon runner and all-round decent athlete but "slightly mad", he tells me.  He wasn't from London so stayed overnight with my colleague on the Saturday one year. They decided to go for "a drink" that night which turned into "8 or "9" (!).

Anyway, he got up the next morning, ran the marathon (he didn't know what his time was but he said it wasn't as fast as he usually did it).

Then they went to the pub again post-race, this bloke had one drink and fell off his bar stool having passed out.

The moral of the story: Make sure your bar stool has sufficient support post-race.

• Options

Nice one JB, I actually loved outloud.

OS,  I am dissapointed with your look, I was looking forward to the white stallion image.

I will be wearing jeans and brown cowboy boots (most confy footware I have to do lots of walking)  and a black top.

Ian, my plan is to take gels at 5, 10 and 15miles then 19, 22 or 23 depending on how I feel and maybe 25miles.

• Options

Lol. Good one Jamie, I'll make sure I check my bar stool before I sit on it!!

Did a light 4 miles last night. To be honest I felt real y sluggish and tired, it was hardly a confindence booster!! Hopefully it was just tiredness from a full days work. A few slight niggles as well, I'm seriously thinking of doing nothing else now till the big race, I'm not going to gain anything except perhaps an injury!! 

• Options
    Just checked the BBC weather forecast. It's predicting heavy Rain!! Get your snorkels ready!!
  • Options
    But Metcheck now says its going to be dry and a nice 11/12 degrees!
  • Options

That's April for you!

I have become obsessive about this, checking 4 weather sites twice a day!  Hope I'm not the only one. 

• Options

I know I've been going insane about the weather..all my running group last night were talking about it (well us british tend to gone about this anyway!) but most who had done FLM in 2007 said the glare from the City buildings was really intense...as long as it doesn't hit that sort of temp we should be ok.....

Last 4 miler last night...couple of miles at MP and rest very gentle.......still trying to visualise what pace to go at whether to get into a 7.35/7.40 or expect the first few to be around 8.00 as a result of numbers of people at start.....any houghts...

Ian hope the brandy has got you ready this morning!!!image 

• Options

Hi guys

I did a really good session last night on the track, 2 lots of 2km at a decent pace, about 6m40 miling. I know its prob a bit quick so close to race day, but its a good confidence builder

I think 8 min miling is the best you're gonna get for the first 2 miles - best to have a target in mind for 6, 13 and 20 imo and then assess from 20 what your target time is likely to be. No point in trying to make up for lost time too early on...I'm aiming for 45, 1h34, 2h24 for those three markers. 

Yes, just half a bottle of Jameson for breakfast this morning, lots of carbs image

• Options
    the 'weather on the day' thread is good fun - have a look, people are now forecasting what the forecast will be for sunday!
  • Options

Didn't one of these on realbuzz come up with 7 for the morning!???

Jamesons!!  Far too sophisticated for me Ian I was reaching for the Guiness at 7.30am this morning when someone told me there was as a strike on victoria!

• Options

One more 3miler on Friday morning.  I feel fantastic today.  I think it's got a lot to do with the fact I normally live on 6 hours sleep a night and I'm making an effort to get at least 7 every night.

I have downloaded a pace band and added notes on it for when to take Gels (7, 13 and 17).  Will take lucozade at every opportunity.

Off to Expo in a couple of hours, hoping no-one notices me sneak out of work.....

• Options
    Carlo, I have a similar strategy. I was planning a 7.40 min/mile pace. Feels a real comfortable pace and one that I can maintain. I hoping to hit 20 miles around the 2:30 marker then take it from there. Hopefully I 'll have enough in the bank to push on. But being a plus twenty miler novice, who knows!!!
  • Options
    Niihty-I felt comfortable at 2.35 for a recent 20 but I'm taking into account the heavy mileage with the training at that point that I'm hoping like Ian for a 2.25 at that point but won't go mad if slightly off as want the legs for the aprint down the mall!!!  (wishful thinking!)image
  • Options
    2:15 at 20 would put you in with a chance of around 3....we can dream eh!!
  • Options

aprint down the mall??  God what a typo...that could be interpreted as

1.  a sprint down the mall ..(missed the s and space). or

2.  a pint down the mall (added the r!)

...leave you to decide on the interpretation.....

3 hours...ooooh that was a dream!!

• Options

Good point Carlo, 7min 40/mile pace comes out under 2:30. So I'll aim for that.

Going off my half marathon time, the  predicter is coming in around a 3:07 marathon, I can honestly say I don't think I'll get close to that!! I'll stick to my original plan of trying for a sub 3:30.

• Options
    Beebs website has just changed to 17 deg and heavy rain showers........might just pop my head out the window at this rate on sunday morning!!
  • Options

Just back from Expo.  It appears I was too pessimistic in my expectations when I filled in my app form.  I am in Pen 4 of the Blue Start.  That's for the 345 finishers.  This is really worrying me now.  I am definitely feeling good for a 3.22-3.25 performance.

Spoke with the RW staff and they tried their best to reassure me I would find it easy enough to move up the field during the 3-5 mile stage.  But I really wanted to go 750 pace at the start.  I am simply hoping that the 'herd' goes off too fast and that the pace will therefore match what I need.

What do you reckon.  I am a little worried now.  Oh, and my calf twinged on the tube, and I couldn't stop sneezing.  I'm getting my coat!!!

• Options
    Jonathan, I'm with you. I'm pretty sure I put down 4 hours on my registration because at the time I wasn't sure. Now with all the training I've done I'm confident of sub 3:30. I imagine I'll be in a similar postion pen to yourself. I'd try not to worry about it too much, I'm sure it won't take too long to get in to your stride.
  • Options
    I've been googling "London Marathon Wrong Pen".  I am still a little upset, coupled with the nerves already it's not great.  But, I think I may be OK.  I will 'worm' my way up through the pen.  Hope that will give me something to do while we wait for the off.  I will repeat the mantra - "I will not let this get me stressed"......
  • Options
    Hate to put this in..but a couple of "oldies" have alluded to getting up to the front is possible..I know its contentious...I honestly can't remember what I put in so am taking some recent run times (printed) from races at Finchley and Watford Half and hope to be persuasive!!