Options

FLM 2009

Comments

• Options

My nose has just started running.  I am thinking that working from home may be an option for tomorrow.  Very little work getting done, I don't remember ever being this wound up before (London 2002, New York 2000). 

Still agitating on the Pen positioning, I really really really want to beat 330.

Weather look like it may clear, running conditions will be almost perfect (please).

• Options
    dont worry about the pen jonathan - it wont have any difference on your final time...just have a 10k and half marathon target time in mind. There's no reason to suggest you wont be 4 miles down after 31/32 mins
  • Options
    I'm thinking around 45 mins 10K, 1:36 Half Mararthon. What do you think?
  • Options

niihty - those times would be cracking.  I ran those splits in a recent 16m in Kingston.  Not sure I could take the pace another 10, who knows.  I am really worried about the crowds in front.  From what I recall form 2002 I think I was pretty much going at pace by the end of the first mile, but I was in the 330 pace group then.

I have decided I am going to try and cover the first 10K by a net 50mins, half marathon by 1.42, then run a negative split (by seconds).  Given I expect the first 2 miles to take 17m30s I reckon I will need to run a 7.40 pace over miles 2 to 6.25.  This kind of fits in with my training.  Am I spending too much time worrying???? image

• Options

I'm just gonna try and do a very steady 745-50 throughout so 136 HM looks daunting to me. But your training suggests you're more than capable of it niihty, so I say go for it. 

• Options

Well, I definately think that taper madness has now got everyone or is it race neversimage.

Just going out for a 3mile gentle jog to test my spanish shorts, they are really bright image, so hopefully will be OK.

OS, as the weather now don't seem to be so sunny, I will wear my star wands on my head, which I have also added a paper english flag on one and a spanish flag on the other.  Being 5ft 1.5inch tall, the antena's help my family to find me.  You are all welcome to say hi if you run pass me, although if you do, I will be worry about meeting my time image

• Options

evening guys,  i think your heart rates will be through the roof by sunday with all the stressing that's going on today!!!

as has been said,  don't worry about pen 4 jonathan,  if it concerns you slightly then enter pen 4 at the front of it (you may need to be in pen a good 20mins before kick off,)  then as we get let out of the pens to move towards the start line just work your way forward slightly and you'll be in amongst the pen 3 starters,  job done!

picked up my number today,  thought the expo was quieter than normal though,  went for the pre race go faster haircut (this ounces of hair I've lost might make all the difference!!),  big plate of pasta this evening,  going to sort out race kit and then an early night,  gentle 30 mins tomorrow to keep the legs ticking over.

stay calm and get a good night's sleep allimage

• Options

The weather is stressing me out more than the pen number, and I can do nothing about either of them!  Metcheck now says a nice 12-15 degrees on Sun am/early pm. 

RL- hope the shorts work OK- what colour bright?  Yellow and red?

• Options

Hi all. I did a 3hrs 45 in New York 07 and am hoping for a 3hrs 30 on sunday  ( i have a half pb of 1hr 31) but now concerned that if i'm in a rubbish pen based on my predicted time i'll never make up the time and keep a steady pace.   Any tips from those of you who have done London before??

Does anyone know how long i'd have to queue at the expo to get in on saturday? I'm travelling down tomorrow from Manchester, would it be better to try and get there Fri evening???

do you have to queue for ages to get your name on your t-shirt, didn't do this for new york but think i could have done with the support later on.

good Luck everyone!

• Options
    Podrunner- there's been a lot of folks worried about their Pen number on this thread over the last few days!  The queues to register were fairly short at 1105 on Wednesday but longer to get the details for your shirt put on their computer.  You then pick the shirt/ vest up later.  I was told 45mins later, but I can see it could be longer.  Don't know what they would do if you pitched up late Friday evening as they would have a back log of shirts to do.
  • Options

Podrunner, I'm also travelling down from Manchester Saturday morning. I plan on arriving at registration about 11, hopefully it won't be too congested. RE. 3:30. Going off your HM pb I don't think you have to much too worry about you should manage a 3:30. Don't get too hung up on your pen, worst case you may lose 3-4 minutes over the first three miles. You can make these up over the next 23, remember it's not a 10K of HM. Plenty of time to catch up lost mileage, plus if you put your HM time in the race time predictor a loss of 4 minutes will still be under 3:30 mins. There's nothing that can be done about your pen, so try not to worry about it, it will only effect your performance.

Jamiesie, on reflection I think a 1:40 HM might be more my target, don't want too over do it early on. I'd prefer to reach 20 miles and feel confident of pushing, not thinking "where's the finish line!!" 

• Options
    Hi all. Final day of work. Already gone through two bottles of Lucozade Sport, starting my third right now.
    Just walked down the mall and all the contractors are putting up the barriers, etc.. Keep hearing that theme tune ringing in my ears.
  • Options

Pen 5!!!  My mate got 3!!  So someone to chase down then!!

Thought I was coming down with major head cold yesterday and again the taper has indeed shown its madness on me.....2 days everyone...hope you have your trainers looking their best for the camera!!

Expo was quiet (got there a bit earlier at 4.30pm) and got through in just over an hour...resisted the urge to buy shoes and goodies...although the goody bag there was a Can of London Pride!!  There you go Ian..there's your race breakfast complete!!image

• Options

OK, got bag packed and everything ready, well almost, just need to right my name on my top.  As not very big decided to right "Ocky" on it as that is part of my surname Ockendon and it will be easier to shout for people than the other 2.

Glad to see that the weather does not show heavy rain any more, but to be honest I am pass caring about the weather, I am really looking forward to just having a great day on Sunday and the only thing that the weather can affect is what to wear before and after the race.  I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!image

• Options

yep I'll be there with my can of London Pride!! (full of carbs too!)

Like RL I'm past caring about the weather now, and Im also really excited...its gonna be a fantastic, fantastic day

• Options

I'm getting into London about 14:30 and handing kids to their dad, then going to Expo..... couple of years ago got there at 16:45 HOW STRESSED!

London Pride, great I'll take some lemonade and have a shandy image

• Options

They're cutting the grass outside (I work right on Green Park) and in St James' Park.  All the TV lorries are there.  Went out for 3M this mornig and now have a sore shin and throat. 

Everything going to plan.

• Options

Glad stress seems to be giving way to more optimism! This is the first marathon I have done where am trying hard for a particular time (3hr30) and have found myself surprisingly a bit stressed last couple days and like Carlo hitting a hypochondriac phase hard - but like rest of you determined to relax and enjoy it. And like Rioja not going to worry about the weather. My main concern now is re-organising the plans of my 80 year old parents for spectating now that they are chaning the route because of the protestors at Parliament.

I agree Nifty - headaches probably from alcohol and caffeine withdrawal. I think for the next one I am going to floow Jonathan's route of plenty of alcohol and columbian. Sounds more fun. Especially as my next one is Strassbourg at end June and its in wine growing region! (Anyone else fancy it!).

I am going to Expo late tonight - am in London already but waiting for my partner to arrive at 6pm as he is running it too, also aiming for 3hrs 30. He is starting in blue start though and me in red.

I am sure I will be in a poor pen because of my predicted time and also only entered on a club place end January. But just looking at it as being good as it will stop me setting out too fast.

If I am in pen 4 will definitely look out for you Ian - and hope your matching dark blue kit works for you! Glad Henry's in Covent Garden still going strong - I was a consultant with Whitbread at the time they created Henry's and played a small part in designing it back in the 80s.

Anyone else doing the red start apart from Nifty, Ian and I.

Nifty I work in Manchester half the week - have been training at the Virgin Active gym at the Print Works and running around Manchester for the last few months so may have run passed each other!

I am planning race times similar to Jonathan, although hope to do 17mins for first two miles slow in crowds before running at 7.40ish to try and do 10k in abt 48mins and HM in about 1hr 41 or 42. The 45min 10k and 1.36 half feels a bit too fast for me Nifty - though you have been running times that suggest you might do it if you feeling really good.

Podrunner - I am hoping for 3hr 30 and only did 4hrs at New York in 2007 and will also be in a bad pen and I only have 1hr 34 as my best HM, so hopefully you should be fine.

Have not run since Wednesday morning 4miles and legs feel quite heavy. Going to do a couple of miles tomorrow morning as otherwise I dont think I will sleep!

Any suggestions for what to eat tomorrow - do I still have to try and take in 600g carbs (I am 11 stone). I did 600g yesterday and am trying same today, but found yesterday hard - was still shovelling in rice at 8.30pm last night!

Anyway, good luck everyone and enjoy. (Hope you make the EXPO before 4.45 this time TS - that really would have stressed me out).

David image

• Options

David I live about 8 miles outside the centre, near the Trafford Centre (if you know it) The majority of my runs have been around Stretford, Sale and Altrincham. If you've been running in that area, then yes we've probably passed each other!! I agree I think my original plan on times is asking a bit much, especially being a marathon Virgin. I'll pobably look at 48 mins and 1:38/9 min splits, must try and remember the second HM is where it really counts.

I'll find out my pen tomorrow, I'm taking my lap top so I'll let you guys know which one. 

Just having a pasta and lucozade lunch, again!!

Getting excited now!!!

• Options
    in what way are they changing the route?  Bringing us up by Trafalgar and down past Horse Guard's isn't an option.  I can't see a way around Parliament Square.  Blimey....  Don't like change me....
  • Options

Hi Nifty. Yes, I am getting excited too, but I too am about to start another pasta and lucozade meal and that is a bit of a downer as look around at what everyone else in the restaurant is eating

Jonathan, the change in route was being shown on the London news channels yesterday. They just flashed it up and looks like it is up to Trafalgar Square and then down either Whitehall or Horseguard Parade (probably the former). But nothing on FLM or Runners World websites. On the news bulletins it was saying that they are not confirming precise changes so that terrorists/protestors not pre-warned but have plans in place for lots of changes if necessary and they will not be announced until tomorrow morning! The organisers came on to say that they are used to having to make small last minute changes to the route and have lots of plans and it would not disrupt the race for the runners! But my guess is that it is most likely that there will not be changes so I wouldnt worry. Just listen out for the news bulletins tomorrow morning. But it should not affect much - the end and meeting places etc will still be the same as will the start.

Cya all tomorrow all crossing the finishing line in just under 3hr 30!!! Will check in later tonight or tomorrow and let you know Nifty and Ian and anyone else in red start what pen I am in.

David

• Options

Thats a good idea, I'll take laptop and look for a WiFi area......

Hot & bored at work........

• Options
    now on my second banana, milkshake Rego drink and fourth lucozade.  Still hate pasta......
  • Options

Still bored image

1 day, 17 hours & 18 minutes to go......... image

• Options

Hi all,

To all stressed about pen number - I did  FLM for the first time last year and got pen 5, my mate got pen 3 and we both were going for 3:30.

I know  it's not the done thing but it's pretty easy to move forwards (which I did - just duck under the tape dividing the pens when a marshall isn't looking) - and the marshall's didn't really seem to care. From what I saw most people "in the know" knock about 15 mins off their real predicted timeto get a good pen number - sort of a marathon time deflation...

I found there was no congestion from Pen 3 and it was a great run!

Most importantly - Good Luck to all those running and have a fantastic time!

Paul

• Options
    look like I will 'pretend' I am calling for my wife in Pen 3 and use my elbows a bit!!!  Or, may just hang around Pen 4 and enjoy.  Decisions, decisions.
  • Options

Good luck for Sunday everyone! And may we all break 210 minutes.

If I don't I'll still enjoy the day. It's just a great experience. For anyone doing their first relax and enjoy it, suck up the atmosphere, you'll be hooked after Sunday.

• Options
    As far as pens are concerned if you've got the cheek you can jump in just before the off. As long as the majority are in then they're pretty ok with it. I've run red from pens 3 and 4 previously with minimal interference.
  • Options
    Ian- not only do you get some carbs from the London pride, but because it comes from hops it counts towards your 5 portions of veg/ day (in the same way that wine and chocolate does)
  • Options

I'm on the red start too David but in pen 7. Gonna try and move up the field before the start. We'll see...