Options

Liverpool 2009- nowhere to run?

Comments

• Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭

LCC couldn't run a feckin bath under this administration or any of them during my lifetime.  Jeez, if they can't even have a music festival in Mathew St then how can they be trusted to organise something like this.

Personally I preferred the old route in & out of Sefton Park.  Granted it didn't cover the sites of town thus making it less likely that visitors would participate but there was always decent support & it was better organised than the FLM joke in 06.

Shameful.

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    So shortsighted, so disappointing. despite Mr Rothwell's efforts, and those of many other supporters, runners will now be drawn to other 'halves' ('halfs'?) such as Chester.
  • Options

Swittle - I'm going to do Wilmslow. Was too late for this year (it fills straight away) so I went as a spectator. It is well run, extremely well supported and seems to be a great event.

The only downside was a gentleman stood next to me who commented that he thought maybe scousers were out and about in the town, robbing their houses because all the people of Wilmslow were out supporting runners.image

This is the undisguised regionalist (racist?) behaviour Liverpool has to put up with all the time. Imagine saying that about Muslims / Jews / Black people / add your own?????

And now Liverpool can't even fight back by saying "well we have our race and it's better than yours".....

Agree with Gavo. Shameful....

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Liverbird, i agree entirely with the anger Liverpudlians feel about institutionalised stereotyping. after 14 years in the city, I can - and will - tell such people that they are wrong, plain & simple.

i scarcely think Liverpool needs to 'fight back' - with all due respect to the leafy towns & villages of Cheshire, they cannot boast the same character, tradition or vibration as the capital of the Mersey - and that may well be part of the origin of the ill-informed opinions held by some.

wilmslow was great fun this year and i hope you secure your place in good time and have a belting run in 2009 image
  • Options

I have read this fourm with great interest. It is always a shame when races are not supported either by local govt officials or by residents. I have run the Liverpool half 4 times (3 when it started and finished in Sefton Park) and always find them very enjoyable, if a little warm a times. Another excellent race which has bitten the dust is the Llandudno 10, which the local council pulled as they said it created too much disruption for the town centre. We need to do our best to continue to support the races which we do have left.

I have run Wilmslow 10 times and it is an excellent race, however it is run mainly along rural roads in a village called Mobberley to avoid too much disruption. Finally I have to admit to being born and brought up in Wilmslow, and one of my best mates is a 'scouser' and I still have all my alloy wheels in tact! Amazing!!

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    you're spot on about the Llandudno 10, Russell - my PB course image
  • Options

Russell - we seriously considered moving to Wilmslow recently and went to look at houses there. Mr LB's car has a private number plate connected with Liverpool football club. Do you think they'd start locking up the family silver if we darkened their doors? image

My mum used to let people think she was from Wilmslow when she was dating blokes in the 60's. They'd ask "where do you live" and she'd say "near the airport".

She was from Wythenshawe (but don't tell anyone I told you - she'd kill me) image

• Options

Just on the subject of Llandudno.....

My outlaws live there and we're going today. We have to leave by 9.00 because they are closing the roads at 11.00 for some Victorian parade or other. They live on Gloddaeth Street right in the middle of the town, so we won't be able to get to them if we're not quick.image

They CAN and they WILL close the roads if they want to. Truth is, the "disruption" tends to be unacceptable if it involves runners. I think that is a great shame.

• Options
    LB. You would only have problems if you moved to a UTD area. Us City fans can't afford to be so one eyed. There is a very flat 10 mile race around Wythenshawe Park held in August. You ARE taking your life in yours hands (only  joking), but it is definitely a pb course. I now live in Chester and go back to Wilmslow to visit my parents, it's full of pretentious idiots (not my parents) with too much money. You're better off visiting it just the once for the half marathon.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Ah, the Sale '10', Russell. Flat as you like and good if you don't mind laps. Done it a few times - great finish on the track image
  • Options
    Flat it certainly is. However the last time I ran it (I think it was 2006) I endured the ignomy of being lapped for the 1st time ever. The winner for it was he who over took me, ran it in a course record of 48 and a bit mins. Very demoralising as i ran it in under 66 mins. B*gger. 
  • Options

Just for the record...

Had a top day in Llandudno! Weather was beautiful, and it seemed the whole town was out enjoying the festival. There was a 45 minute long procession of vehicles dating back to 1890 and the biggest fair on Mostyn Street I've ever seen in my life - it went on for miles! (And was bloody dear, but kids don't "get" that)...image

Consequently I am now brassic and still a bit sad that nobody minds closing roads (for THREE DAYS, not a morning) as long as there is no exercise involved.....image

• Options
    Head GoneHead Gone ✭✭✭
    Did Bristol 10k yesterday and they worked around the road closures. Amazing what you can do if they want to. An excellently organised event. (Never thought I would be saying nice things about our council). 
  • Options

How did you get on, Head Gone? Don't give us half a story! image

We might have to come rumbling down the M5 soon to find our nearest race.....image

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    there used to be a cracking race out of Bourton-on-the-Water, a 15-miler, 2 laps, with some decidedly anti-social hills (up and down). saturday evening start.

ran 1:45 but 'twas years ago and fitness and me were firm friends....
  • Options

Did you have a fall out with fitness Swittle? Did fitness call your mum names?image

Fitness and I tolerate each other, but only because fitness has a pool at his house and whenever I play with him, I look better!image

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    you're on the right lines, Liverbird. Age does seem to have played a big part in my 'time out on the course' in the last couple of years, and, try as I might, the fitness I crave is always just out of reach image
  • Options

Its a shame that this is what Liverpool is looking at, Aside from the runliverpool site and organisers there isnt really anything else that i know of for runs in the North West Area, After rejection for the 09 London Marathon, i've entered the Blackpool marathon at the beginning of April.

Looking for a few more races to enter between now and then to get into the swing of things (in addition to my own training of course)

Also is there anything that can be done then, people we can 'collectively' contact regarding the lack of Liverpool races.

• Options

How very sad that we will lose our races.

I went on my early morning run this morning looked across the water to the Liverpool waterfront skyline just as the sun was raising and it look magnificent.

If only the rest of the country could see more of the positive sides of Liverpool. I'm sure we could host big running events that would be sell outs and self funding. I think LCC are shooting themselves in the foot with this one.

Having spent last weekend in Newcastle and seeing how race fever had taken over the city and how proud people were  in there city hosting an event like that makes you wonder why can't we ? Is it really all down to money or lack off it ? The number of visitors in Newcastle this weekend spending money in hotels, bar, and restaurants must be a massive boost to their economy.

• Options

Since I started this thread, there have been some positive noises coming out of runliverpool with regards to a new (and better) course next year! It would appear that Alan Rothwell is in negotiations with LCC to begin the race at the Liver buildings! If this comes off, it would be brilliant!

I'm afraid the lack of support in Liverpool comes mainly from the council and a handful of people who think it's a breach of their human rights to be inconvenienced for a couple of hours on a sunday morning once a year. image

These very same people only have to squeal to LCC that they are council tax payers and LCC cave in like a deck of cards and thousands of runners (also council tax payers) have to suffer because of it and are forced to reroute.

• Options

I've dipped in to this thread (as I am from Leeds) - Leeds City Council tried to scrap our half marathon but the runnign community kicked up a bit of a stink and before you know it the council said it had meerely had to change the dates to avoid clashes with the new Jane Tomlinson 10k. It was utter bollocks, they also tried to claim credit once it was sucessfully over but the truth is the council is run (and no apologies to anyone who works for the council and reads this thread as you are surely a rebel) but lazy jobs-for-life civil servants who feel a knee jerk need to placate every moaning minny in the world, even when it contracts stated desires to encourage healthy lifestyles, sport and good will.

Truth is our leaders are all talk - their initiatives are shallow and they are not lead by anyone with an ounce of leadership, just poor managerial skils. They are so short sighted they can't see the enormous benefits mass participation sporting events can bring to a city - but also the people in each city are at fault to some extent as well (I am afraid you have to admit to yourself that an awful lot of people are incapable of seeing joy in life, are self centred and selfish).

It seems no one has learned anything from the amazing success of the Great North Run - it must be making blinking money for the region, the race and even those charities!!!

OK - that's my friday rant over.

• Options
    Like GTC said I find it bizarre that the councils of Leeds, Liverpool and also Sheffield (but not so much now they have realised they can make a lot of money) shoot themselves in the foot so regularly on this one. Especially as each city is crying out for expansion of the race calendar instead of the perception I've gathered from them that's they feel happier if we would all go away.
    LB and Co is it worth while someone getting the figures of how much Newcastle business's make on the GNR weekend and beating your local council round the head with it? If they sorted out a high profile half or even better with also a full I'm sure there is scope for them to make it the centre piece of the tourism round your way all they need to do is put Beetles in the name?
  • Options

They did that last year Cake! The Half was called "The Long and Winding Road" and at every mile marker there was another Beatles song title. I remember "Help!" being on one of the later miles! image

Great minds think alike, eh? image

If I knew how to try and get people EXCITED by a running event coming to their town, instead of them resenting the intrusion to their enormously important trip to the tip on a Sunday morning, I would be a very rich Liverbird indeed. I've been to GNR and I've never heard a Geordie moan about the GNR. That's what we need - a bit of regional PRIDE!

• Options
    image I live what? 50/60 miles away and didn't hear about it? All they needed was some naked dancing girls on a poster or a advert in a northern mag and you would be swamped with Yorkshire types and manc's. Actually that's probably why they didn't do that. image
  • Options

Will this do?

http://my.prostreetonline.com/photos/data/508/car-girls-in-bikinis-48.jpg

Come and do our half! We all look like this ALL THE TIME.....! image

And it never rains in Liverpool! image

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
  • Options

LB - I have posted my entryimage.

Seriously tho Liverpool City Council are a bunch of lazy halfwits who will not do anything to offend those who complain. Two years ago the race went up Barkhill road and stopped some Harry Cross ( the moaning old git off Brookside) from getting his car out of his drive for two hours one sunday morning once a year. The tw@t complained to the council and the race had to be rerouted. FFS he had had months of notice that the road would have closures. IF he really wanted to go out in the car he could have parked it at the end of th road and Walked!! to his car.

LCC are supposed to be pushing a campaign to ban a certain fast food company with a yellow M from putting toys in happy meals as it encourages kids to eat sh!te. Their resources would be better spent organising races and healthy events were there are kids races etc and ecourage them to live a healthier lifestyle. The kids are still going to eat McMeals, just not get a toy.

• Options

Well its abviously the unhealthy percentage who complain about the roads being closed, people will moan about anything these days.

It's a shame that Liverpool couldnt of organised a marathon for the '08' capital of Culture that they worked so hard to achieve, me thinks i'll be looking at Manchester and Wales for my next races, as Run Liverpool has the santa dash in December which i'll do again 'complaints permitting' but then nothing till the half marathon in march (fingers crossed) i was kind of hoping to do a half marathon in January.. but cant really find any local races.

Oh and i'm gutted that the Tunnel 10k might not go ahead next year, cant seem to see it in next years events on the Runliverpool website. image

• Options

JP - I could name the Harry Cross guy! Name him and shame him!

Alan Rothwell did!image

I'll post my entry later - didn't know it had opened!

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    JS - local to Liverpool? What about the 4 Villages half Marathon from Helsby, mid-January '09? Less than an hour there for me from Waterloo and a super event.

btw, i'm getting pressure from a work pal to run the Santa Dash image