Options

Liverpool 2009- nowhere to run?

Comments

• Options

Santa Dash is fun.

Yeah i'm over the water on the Wirral. is there a site or anything that the 4 villages half marathon is on?

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Try here: http://www.helsbyrunningclub.org.uk/halfmarathon/index.htm

tends to fill up by Christmas but I recall entries on the day this year.
  • Options

Excellent thanks for that, i'll be deffo applying for that

• Options
    I've asked Alan Rothwell about the Tunnel 10K for next year. Hopefully he'll be able to confirm or otherwise whether or not I get to go "oggy oggy oggy" again next year with thousands of others going "oy oy oy"!!!!image
  • Options
    I hope its on, i would love to do that, so fingers crossed its on
  • Options
    Now I've got over the hurdle of my first 10km, I definately want to improve my times and I will be very dissapointed if non of the events run next year.  Am especially looking forward to having a crack at the tunnel run.
  • Options
    Same here, i did the 10k round Sefton Park last weekend which was good fun. training for the blackpool marathon at the beginning of March so looking for a few more races to get under my belt. Glad i can get a half marathon distance under my belt in Jan as well.
  • Options

Is any body else doing the Reindeer 10k at Knowsley Hall  30th November.?

I believe there will be christmas stalls and things for the kids to do include a childrens races,

so fun for all the family.image

Swittle....................................... santa dash is great fun, if a bit damp last year.

• Options
    Cheers for the heads up on the Helsby Half, thats only 13 miles from my house!
  • Options

That's probably about the same distance from mine and my next door neighbour is called Richard!

Are you my neighbour? image

• Options
    Richard Bullivant wrote (see)
    Cheers for the heads up on the Helsby Half, thats only 13 miles from my house!
    You could run to the race start, run the race itself. and you'd of done a marathon.. excellent hitch hike home though you wouldnt want to over do it.
  • Options
    entries are now open for Helsby
  • Options

Well i've just read the half marathon for next year has gone up to £24 per entry. seems a little steep. i know he's broken the costs down on the runliverpool site, but when its £35 to enter the London Marathon....

£2000 on goodie bags, isnt that what the sponsor is for, to put their stuff in the bags?

• Options

Jay,

Don't forgot that they probably subsidize the entry due to all the ballot rejections that pay up anyway. Think it's a little step as well but not as expensive as some.

p.s. LB cheers for the naked girls. image

• Options

No problems Cake! image

I never thought I'd defend the cost of a race, but GNR is FORTY QUID and if you become their "FRIEND" you get to pay thirty quid EXTRA for the privilege! I don't think £24 is a lot when you consider they are going to have to close city centre roads.

The cost is going up all the time to stage races. You have to pay the police about a million squid to stand there and pick their noses.....

• Options

LB,

From doing other stuff unrelated to running know the cost for the copper's and it isn't that that steep, sometimes they lower it if they think what your doing is a good thing as well. Great North, South or whatever is a bad example because they are trying to take over the world at the moment it's about 20 odd quid for the great Yorkshire which is only a 10 k so as you can imagine it's not gone down to well with the Yorkshire types round these parts.

Might just be they can't get a decent sponsor at the moment?

• Options

OK aside from the goodie bags then, wouldnt you expect the sponsor to stump up some cash towards it then, maybe a few grand from Mizuno would go a fair way. maybe not to reduce the cost of the half marathon, but maybe but a little extra cash in the 'coffers' of runliverpool.

Mostly it goes back to what the thread is about the council, if they got more involved we wouldnt have this problem were local races are becoming sparse, 

I mean i pay my council tax, which goes towards policing, i also pay my road tax (on two cars) which allow me to use the roads... i know it doesnt work this way, but if more people were to maybe think about it like this there could be more pressure on the council to help us runners out, instead of Alan Rothwell doing his best with the resources he has.

• Options
    Thanks JP! I usually miss this despite it being so close to my house.  And what a brilliant on line entry system.
  • Options
    Cheers, slapped an entry in for Helsby. Should keep me running through the winter!
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Wow! Bit of a surge on to enter Helsby. That fabian on-line entry thing is boss image For the Sandstone trail a fortnight ago, I got a reminder and link to final instructions.

for those who are Yorkshire based, Brass Monkey HM entries open this Sat. - and will no doubt close a few short days later. knavesmire harriers (york) site is the place to look.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Well maybe when this year ends and its no longer the 'culture year' then Liverpool council might look for another gimick, maybe 2009 Liverpool capital of weightloss
  • Options
    Cake wrote (see)

Might just be they can't get a decent sponsor at the moment?

Ain't that the truth!image Last year, the sponsor of the Liverpool Women's 10K pulled out right at the last minute and we lost our chip timing as a result! image They simply couldn't afford it. As a result I was surrounded by thousands of pig ignorant women all jostling for position at the last minute, trying to get to the start line!image

I'm sorry ladies, but when the gun is about to go off, you should stop trying to push forward. We're queueing too.....image

I don't blame Alan Rothwell. He's been on here before discussing the hidden costs of hosting these things. If he could shave any more off the price, I'm sure he would.

• Options

Just felt that I had to comment on this thread....

I've done the Liverpool 10k three times now and am about to enter the Liverpool Half next March (my first half marathon!) but thanks to the lack of funding from the council, plus the selfish small-minded attitudes of certain residents and pointscoring councillors, I'm concerned the race may not go ahead.

Alan Rothwell does an amazing job putting on races in the face of such hostility and lack of funding and support from the powers that be. I just think it's laughable when I hear of the latest health campaign in Liverpool to combat heart disease or obesity when local politicians seem determined to rid the city of these great mass-participation events which have huge benefits for the health and fitness of those taking part.

Liverpool City Council should look down the M62 to see what a success the Manchester 10k has turned into - if they'd have shown more support and allowed a city-centre route the Liverpool 10k could have been as big (if not bigger).

Matt

• Options
    A bit of positive information... I understand some of you are concerned about the lack of information about the Tunnel 10K next year? The date (Sunday, May 31st) is on the front page of www.runliverpool.org.uk by way of confirmation. Entry form posted soon.
    I note there is a lot of negative comment about L.C.C. on the latest pages. Take it from me it's not going to change so let's just get on with it ourselves. I hope to announce the half marathon course shortly but as ever it will be subject to Safety Advisory Group authorisation!!!!! A city centre start and finish at the Arena woud improve things greatly rather than Sefton park and I think things are looking much better for 2009 already!
  • Options

ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!imageimageimage

I'm already double booked for May 31st!image

Alan - where are all the blokes going to wee if you take the race out of the park?image

• Options
    In the Albert Dock of course. 
  • Options

No triathlons in there then.....image