• Options

jailing's too soft for him

Pie him! 

• Options
                image    YER !  With a STALE pie
  • Options
    did the santas dash have short cuts also?  image
  • Options
    Wouldn't need them if he was organising not running.
  • Options
    Anyone know which Santas dash it was?  There seem to be loads.
  • Options
    Great, seems it was well organised. So why doesn't he just stick to this sort of thing?
  • Options

Well, I heard back from the charity.  Apparently they've talked to him and he has a 'valid reason' for not completing the course.  No they didn't tell me what the reason was.  And I'm wondering if they realise this is not just a one off (I did say in my mail to them, but people don't always read things properly...)

Personally I have no problem with people who try to complete a course and fail for a valid reason.  I have no problem with people doing part of an event if that's all they can manage and they don't try and make out they've done it all.  But year after year pretending to do the whole thing is definitely out.

I agree he should stick to what he's good at and not pretend to be doing something he's not.

• Options

Thanks for the update Rowan.

I'm afraid I take a very dim view of their attitude to event rules. Hope the FLM organisers agree.

The only "valid reason" I can see for not completing the course is injury on the day - which means no finish and no medal. Whatever the reason is, if he can't complete the course and has no intention of completing the course he shouldn't be taking part at all.

• Options
    RMcDRMcD ✭✭✭
    Tommy was out at Balmoral on Saturday 26th April (10k and 5k races).  I was aware of this thread and watched him closely.  Open bucket, 'I'm running for leukemia' placard, clown outfit and face paint, mingling with families whose children were running in schools contests or waiting for partners in 5k or 10k. events.  People were keen to be photographed with him and notes/cash were piling into the bucket.  Suspect he didn't run the course but this wasn't what concerned me - some of the money clearly does goes to charity but does Tommy deduct his living money first and if so on what basis.  Overriding impression I had was that I didn't trust him, hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Yes, I am afraid that an open bucket is a bit suspicious - I have seen police stop street collections if this method used as it is too open to abuse.  Charities should supply properly sealed containers.  It could be argued that at least the nominated charity benefits if at least some of the money gets to them but I am very uneasy about the whole scenario, especially as the charities seem to be conniving with it. 
  • Options
    RMcD wrote (see)
     some of the money clearly does goes to charity but does Tommy deduct his living money first and if so on what basis.  Overriding impression I had was that I didn't trust him, hope I'm wrong.
    What evidence was there that he's deducting money for himself?
  • Options
    RMcDRMcD ✭✭✭

Jake - No evidence because with open buckets and no audit trail there can't be.  Needless to say, Tommy was out again at today's Edinburgh BUPA 10k, collecting cash from spectators.  Pretending to run courses he doesn't complete properly when people give him money to run them for charity is arguably dishonest (plenty of evidence here) and does it stop there, I just don't know.  We all rely on impressions of people and my own was I didn't trust him - raising £70,000 for charity over a year doesn't look quite so good if he's taking the same amount home for himself.  Personally, I think charities should discourage this method of collecting (insist on sealed boxes or proper sponsorship forms).

• Options

I hope you're not ever allowed on a jury!

• Options

"£70,000 for charity over a year"

No, I think that was a local journo doing a quick interview at a local race, and not checking their facts.

The award he got (referenced in the same article) was for raising £60,000 over 20 years.

The evidence is circumstantial, for sure, but I'd be donating my money elsewhere.

• Options

I suppose an open bucket is far easier for people to put money into than a small handheld sealed container - more practical as well to carry one bucket vs who knows how many charity containers? (or do charities do bucket sized ones?).  Also lets people see there's money in there already and that may encourage them to add more.  Also, it allows more people to add money at the same time especially if a large number of people are present.  To be honest, I've never knowingly seen anyone with sealed containers collecting this way during races - always a bucket with a large banner on side saying what they're collecting for.

If true, £60,000 over 20 years doesn't seem a lot - £3000 average a year and he's been in at least 3 different events this year already?

• Options
    RMcDRMcD ✭✭✭

Oxy  - I was called for jury service once though someone objected  (can't think why when I've such a pleasant smile).  Sincerely hope you're right in giving this guy benefit of any doubt.  He is operating in a very systematic and calculated  way and unfortunately I suspect things may not be what they seem.  Given the no of events he is attending and the way he milks the crowds £3000 a year sounds a lot less than I'd expect;  if it is a fraud it's a damn clever one too because nearly impossible to prove.

• Options
    I prefer to think that he's cutting a few corners so the race doesn't get in the way of fundraising.  I tend to try and look for the best in people.  I don't think I'd put anything in his bucket though...
  • Options

I'm not trying to be picky here RMcD, but just to clarify, there is NO evidence to suggest any criminal behaviour whatsoever other than the fact you dont like the look of him!

Its fine that you dont want to put money into his bucket, but to suggest that a man dressed as a clown could be a crook, on the basis of his apperance, really is beyond parody.

• Options
    Scott S - the buckets are normal full sized buckets with a large sloping aperture so it is very easy to put money in. 
  • Options
    RMcDRMcD ✭✭✭
    Nothing at all to do with the way he looks.  I think there is evidence of dishonesty in way he runs courses (when I collect money/run for charity I complete the course).  Remain uneasy about whole situation with open buckets and no accountability but only the charities/organisers of races can change things so I'll take my hawk eyes off him from now on.
  • Options
    RMcD wrote (see)

We all rely on impressions of people and my own was I didn't trust him

• Options
    RMcDRMcD ✭✭✭

Quite right Oxy though this was based on a lot of things and not the fact he was dressed as a clown.  If truth and justice are really absolute values you can defend him at the pearly gates - I remain sceptical and won't be putting any cash in Tommy's bucket.

• Options

Have you always read the Daily Mail?

• Options
    Hmmmm - R McD - is this some sort of inter-clown rivalry or something? image
  • Options
    Rowan Green Faster at Forty http://www.justgiving.com/stroke100 wrote (see)

Well, I heard back from the charity.  Apparently they've talked to him and he has a 'valid reason' for not completing the course.  No they didn't tell me what the reason was.  And I'm wondering if they realise this is not just a one off (I did say in my mail to them, but people don't always read things properly...)

Personally I have no problem with people who try to complete a course and fail for a valid reason.  I have no problem with people doing part of an event if that's all they can manage and they don't try and make out they've done it all.  But year after year pretending to do the whole thing is definitely out.

I agree he should stick to what he's good at and not pretend to be doing something he's not.

Rowan, we know that his "valid reason for not completing the course" was that he took a short cut.

PIE HIM

It's not victimless: he's no better than Jade Goody.

• Options
    He does at least raise money for charity - i dont think jade did ?
    And unless you can back up these allegations against the clown - maybe this thread should be pulled ? You would have to prove he is dishonest with the money - and you cant do that ? This must be libel surely ? Then again i am no lawyer !
    Just be grateful he doesnt have links to a well known race organiser ! image
  • Options

Jade Goody raised money for a children's charity - NSPCC I think.

After the FLM fiasco people were signing in to her justgiving site, donating and slagging her off at the same time. image

I don't think anybody should be making accusations about what this man does with the money. The issue is whether he cheats in races - which his charity has admitted he does.