Options

Photo rip off?

Comments

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I've never bought a race photo, and I don't think any of my friends have.

I have a real bee in my bonnet about postage charges, and quite often get to the last part of an on-line order only to see amounts like £5.99 for postage of something small and light.  I cancel the order.

I'll happily pay what it would actually cost to package and post the item, but some companies pile it on to make up for a cheap item price.

In the case of race pictures, they want it both ways.

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

phew - so none of you buys photos - but clearly a large number of london runners do, even at these ridiculous prices, otherwise it wouldn't be worth marathonfoto's while?

sounds like you lot are faster and more experienced than me. and so don't need photos to remind you of what you've achieved.

me? am just thrilled to get round in one piece, and am quite excited that this year there are some photos of me smiling and not looking like the back of the bus while i'm doing it....

• Options

I've never bought a race photo, as I always felt Marathon Photos were a rip off. These guys are twenty times worse.

Who can I email to express my disgust to most effect? Emailing the company won't do a jot, I suspect.

• Options
    Oh BTW Gladrags I took out a second morgage to buy some FLM photos, because it was a very special occasion and achievement for me, too.
  • Options
    Basil, I emailed a complaint and never even got an acknowledgement.  They don't care.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Gladrags, I didn't feel I needed an unflattering photo of me to help me remember my first marathon! 

It's all stored in your head, you've got your medal and (huge) t-shirt - what does a crappy photo add?

That and I'm a tight old bat.......

• Options
    I dont think faster or more experienced comes into it to be honest.

I'd rather remember the race as I want to - rather than see a pale/sweaty/knackered guy coming up the Mall on my photo !
  • Options

Sorry to reopen the whole sordid issue again but, having picked myself up off the floor after seeing the prices I decided (as its a special occasion) to persevere (more fool you I hear you cry!) and order.....

What a nightmare! Not only are these guys ripping us off but they are completely incompetent. I tried to use the discount code printed on the leaflet I picked up at the Exhibition, but it doesn't work. So i emailed them - it took them a week to respond and then simply to say that I would need to call them.

So I called them and fought back the tears as they confirmed my order back to me. I received a confirmation email which doesn't match what I ordered so Ive just had to call them again - they cannot even retrieve my details for me - I now have to wait until they call me back. How hard can it be?

Do the organisers not have the capability to hire someone decent? How many photography companies must there be that could better fulfil this? What a joke!  

• Options

Sadly, not many. Though there probably are one or perhaps two other companies in the world.

• Options

Outrageous prices. Won't buy, even though family failed to take snaps.

Have scanned the teeny pics on the leaflet they mailed me and have done 'print screen' on the on-line proofs. That will have to do.

Oh, and a complaint to the organisers. How about a Facebook group? --- 'We hate the FLM photo rip-off'.--- And a few letters to the press.

• Options

Having just received a reminder telling me that there is a cut off to buy photos, I felt drawn to send the following email. Is this unreasonable?

Dear Sir,

Thank you for this reminder.

Unfortunately your products are too expensive. Rather than giving 50% of 'my' money to a charity, I'd prefer a cheaper product cost and retain my option to give money to a charity of 'my' choosing. 

It is entirely within the policy of an organisation to become 'not-for-profit' but to force the customer to pay a 100% premium to fund an unnamed charity, where there is no competitive option, is scandalous.

Please comment.

• Options
    I think you can order way past the deadline....it's just a plot to get people to buy!
  • Options

pretty damned disgusted, with my photos, that arrived from marathonfoto, yesterday.

I ordered 2, 7X5 sized , copies of one photo.

They arrived, yesterday, in a cardboard envelope, with a compliment slip, second class postage,

unprotected and uncut.

I've either got to take a pair of scissors to separate them, or take them to a  photographic shop, to get it done properly.

Quite frankly, i'm appalled at the poor level of service and value for money, i've received

.... and the cd/dvd thingy, i also ordered,  hasn't arrived yet.

• Options
    If you paid by credit card then send them back and claim a refund.  If we put up with things like this then nothing will ever change.
  • Options

As race organiser for the Wilmslow Half Marathon I can only agree with the above comments regarding marathonfoto.com. We used them in 2008 and I have never had so much negative feedback from runners and I vowed never to use them again. This year we used www.mickhall-photos.com who provided an excellent service at sensible prices. Bryan Dale at www.racephotos.org.uk is also another good local photographer and I am sure there are many other local photographers around the country that don't rip runners off  .

I was guilty like a lot of race organisers of only looking at the bottom line. Marathonfoto offer money to race organisers and it's easy to be tempted but of course they get this money by charging excessive prices to runners. They insist on having full personal details of all competitors which I was never comfortable with giving them and they then start dictating what photo's you can and can't display on your own race website.

Sadly some race organisers will always fall for their marketing technique, but in future I will always forgo the extra money and go with a firm that runners are happy with.

• Options

thanks for your insight into this sorry saga, Malcolm.

...never again.

• Options

Complete incompetents!

I ordered and received a photo detailing that i had ordered a photo "with the London skyline" - there are 2 with the London skyline so this email was useless. I emailed them, and heard nothing back, so called them and spoke to someone to confirm that it was the photo with the skyline and the Union Jack and NOT the Flora emblem....they confirmed that was the case....it arrived yesterday....and guess what.....? Yep, Flora emblem......unbelievable

Have just called the London Marathon office to ask why they give monopolistic photo rights to such a company. Apparently i have to write in to complain - its the only way to make change - Race Director, Lodnon Marathon, PO Box 1234, SE1 0XT. 

• Options
    The complaints with marathon photos has gone on for two years now, i'm amazed that London still use them.I bought a photo off them for the 2007 FLM & it was absolute crap. Poor quality paper, a backdrop of trees & the FLM logo across my shins.What happened to the company who used to send all the photos to you in advance, so you could copy them all then send them all back ? They even used to send the certificate.
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

presumably they went bust because no one was paying anything?

• Options
    Gladrags, i think that's about right. They were good though.
  • Options
    still waiting for the memory cd i ordered..........
  • Options

Just got mine from this year...... Wasnt going to get one, but on of the pics has big ben in the background, with the time clearly showing and a clear blue sky...

I have a close up of me with the clockface cut out.....!!! Marvellous...

Here goes the timewasting trying to get in touch and sorted!

• Options

I can understand that people who have done their first London want a photo as a momento. It was my second London, so I'll probably just get my number and medal framed.

• Options
    still no memory cd.........after 3 phonecalls, on monday, they're getting both barrels.
  • Options
    Let me know how you get on leacroft - I've not got mine yet either, but haven't chased them yet.
  • Options

rang them up for the 4th time today.......apparently DVD was posted from the U.S on friday, so

i should have it within the week.

I do not have much confidence, though.....

Demands for refunds and seeking legal advise, if i don't get it by the weekend.

These people are charlatans and absolutely hopeless......do not touch with bargepole.

• Options
    Mine arrived today. I hope yours does soon.

I'll never use these people again through choice, but as it was my first marathon, I wanted the photos.
  • Options

Check the 42run website.

http://42run.com/

There are lots of good quality photographs which you can search with the bib number.

If I don't get a place next year, i will be going with a camera to take some photos and upload them undere the 42 run network.

• Options

You can look for the photos from the flicker website

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42run/

• Options

Did anyone else get photos that were out of focus even though the thumbnails and order form were clearly in focus?  Plus printed on the flimsiest paper possible?  (I had read everything on here but it was my first and probably last marathon and as family didn't get the chance to take photos this was my only option.)

I've emailed them to complain but will also be putting in a formal complaint to Trading Standards if anyone wants to join me.