Options

Sunday 18th May 2008

Morning everyone,

What: RACE! - Netley Abbey 10k (Southampton Running Club run in the park)
Why: Racing's the best.
Last hard: killer 5 miles on thursday

Hoping for a new '08 PB today, though probably won't touch my all-time PB. Weather's looking nice. Sunny without being roasting, little wind etc. and the course is good and flat if I remember it (been about 3-4 years since i've done this one!)

Good luck anyone else racing today. 

Comments

• Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    BR - I am quite obsessive and the people I mentioned at times miss training due to work, family commitments or just a case of rather having a few drinks with friends. These posts often remind me that there is more to life than the next PB. I should have rather said that these posts bring balance to my life, not the thread. I am sure others also miss sessions for reasons other than illness and injury and that is why I said 'to name a few' Maybe I should not have mentioned any names. You are corect in saying that everyone adds to the balance.

Hilly - Yes, we are all different runners and that is what makes this thread so special.

FL - Thank you, when is Edinburgh?

What: Between 12 and 13 miles
    Why: Running tired
    Last hard: Today and yesterday

Good luck to anyone racing.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    PF - all the best - it is indeed fairly windless down on the coast. That race is near me.

Hope the other racers go well.

The SPO is still in London, so I've an U11s cricket match and an open top bus parade on the agenda.

The litle lads bets weren't accumulators - to maximise his chances of winning a few quid. He had £1 stakes on the National (and won about £12 - e.way bet), he had 1-0 at 11/2 and Kanu at 5/1.

• Options

Good luck to all "Racers" today.

I'm just of now to my second 10k race, 56.46 last time so I'm hoping for a nice PB and under 50 mins!!

Will check in later!  

• Options

Blimey, the thread is quiet today, surely everyone can't be out racing?

What: 11M in 90mins for me 8.13 av pace @75% av HR
    Why: last LSR before Edinburgh in a week's time
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Thursday, so I'm overdue a rest although a good old tapering week is forecast!

Felt rough this morning until about 5M, and at 7M I felt quite good. I did race fairly quick yesterday afternoon, though, so done 21M in 3 days - not the best tapering idea, but those miles have only had 6k of speed in them.

If the weather is like this next weekend, then that's one thing that will be in our favour. Fingers crossed for that then!

• Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

Hope the racers have had fun.  I'll post and then read back, possibly return.

What: 12 miles (yes, folks, please pay special attention to the double digits, rarely seen under my posts) in honour of TmR and her attempt on the 100k.  I have not forgotten, will likely forget my own head before I forget the role she played in getting me through FdlS in 2004, and consolidating progress thereafter.  She coached me to my pb marathon at White peak, so I thought it appropriate that I should run double my usual long distance just when she was attempting double hers.  I reckon she will probably have started too fast and be paying dearly by now, but I admire without qualification the spirit that will adopt that approach.

As a run it was surprisingly good.  I decided on 3.5/1.5 run/walk, but took some stuff with me that I had to learn.  I had therefore mindgames to play for the first two thirds, until my mind got a bit too tired.  (Does anyone else find that in the latter stages of a long run the mind gets more and more ungovernable?)  The great thing about that strategy was that I did not get impatient with a slow pace.  It stayed a steady plod.  Consequence, feet still in control by the end.  I ran the last three or four run bits at a very respectable trot.  Chuffed with that.

TmR, hope you're please with your run too.

Gobi, hope you too have had a triumphant day.  Look forward to everyone's reports.

later folks,

• Options

Hi All

Where have you all gone? I have spent all day offshore Dubai sweating whilst inspecting a 55 year old passenger vessel on her way to the scrap yard, like me she was a bit past her sell by date

What: 7.5 miles on tready d & d
    Why: Its 43C here today
    Last hard: Monday
    Last Rest: Thursday

Hope the racers amongst us are going well.

• Options

Afternoon all,

Larkfield 10k for me today, and actually managed a better time than I expected! I was guessing around 38:30 for the time, but ended the race with a rather pleasing 37:44.

Bit of a forum get together as well what with both Big Tim and IMSKI being at the race. Start went pretty much to plan, I slotted in just behind BT.  I let a few runners past and went through 1k in just over 3:30. The course then turned off road onto a park path which to be honest was horrid, rutted narrow, twisty and had zillions of puddles! lol. Lead women came past just  before 2k, and I focused on keeping her close. Caught and Passed IMSKI at 3k, which he went though in 10:56, myself 11mins. Then just settled into a good stride pattern, stupid footbridge at 5k, had to go through some narrow barriers and spiral up the thing both sides, 5k in around 18:30 no clear marker!

2nd half of race, I managed to pick off a few more runners who were struggling, and started to close in a little on BT. Had a little girl walk in front of me at just past 7k which ruined my concentration for a few mins. Back on the horrid twisting park path, just kept about 4-5secs back from the lead female, back on road just before 9k and I passed IMSKIs team mate, and was getting within striking distance of BT. Then a really short and very steep climb up a narrow pathway, this was where I struggled with my weaker right leg, had no drive to get up the hill, still running up, but lost a good distance here, then the last 400m through a car park and then a sharp turn towards the finish, nearly outsprinted a guy but gave up the chase around 10-15m from the finish not worth crippling myself over just one place, so very pleased really BT ran around 37:21.

What:

am: Larkfield 10k - comeback road race, my first road race since last september!

Why:

A nice solid base result to now train from and get meself a lot more quicker.

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Thanks RW, your sodding site's crashed on me again.

Briefly my lost post was wishing Paul F good luck at Nettley and enquiring about his 10k PBs

Then there was some stuff about me mucking up my 8x600 by running them at 400 pace and subjecting myself to an uncomfortable and slightly prolonged VO2max experience.

Finally I wshed everybody a good rest of the day.

All in all....didn't really say much at all!!
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Back again;

Miicksta - congrats on your 37:44 10k, thats a promising start to your road seasn. Next time you see Big Tim give him my regards. Is he working full time as a sports therapist or is he still bricklaying. Speaking of which, that's what I was doing this morning on my repitition 600s.

DD, 55 years old and heading for the scrap yard - thanks for the confidence boost!!!

Stickless - special acknowledgement of your efforts this morning, and all done for the right reasons.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done Micksta.

Got up, checked the web site for the leisure centre for swimming, 8-9, great of for some x trg....

Got to the leisure centre, no one on the desk as not manned till 0830, but catch the duty manager, tells me where to go, then says you only have 15 mins left to swim.... I said, no till 9 as it says on he website..... he show me programme, which states close at 0815, I get a tad anti staying that is says 9 on the web.....

Get home and check the web site.... sure enough 0815...... but the Tidworth pool is 8-9 the one I looked at in the morning half asleep...... DOH what A PLONKER.......................

So now no swimming and tail between he legs.......

Then anger mangement stepped in, had to do something..... knew that if I culd get out and run it would be pain free, and it was.... 4.25m 99% pain free in 34:59. The calf was fine no issues and the foot, no issues till I walk.... I can run pain free, but not walk...... still another 9 days to see what the Physio says...... but judged on today, where there is no differenec in feeling after being for a short run and not going for a run I will do some light stuff for the next 9 days and see what is said then, quite possibley the wrong approach, but one that I am content with at present.

Take care

• Options

Just popping in to wish Gobi and TmR the best of luck today and obviously all other racers too.

I have just done my third sprint tri in 3 weeks and really am spending as much time biking and swimming as I can with the odd interval run thrown in so as I dont have much running to post I just lurk occasionally.

• Options
    tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭
    RFJ: that's a curious one, obviously your footstrike when running is quite different from walking!

Stickless: well done!! I haven't run that far since the Duchy.

I went to marshall our local race for life. It was absolutely brilliant! The weather turned out really nice, and no incidents at our corner. We shepherded the spectators off the course and the runners onto the course (some did not seem to feel comfortable in the middle of the road and went on the pavement. It was a traffic free course). It was great to see loads of youngsters involved as well. They ran past our point twice (out and back), so on the way back I could tell them it was just a little bit further to the finish and all down hill. I figured that might inspire some, especially the one I heard on the way out (less than 500m after the start) "oh dear, I hope this is the only hill". Erm no, it wasn't, and Castle Drive must have seemed Mt Everest to her!

What: 8mi still to come
    Why: Sunday is long run day
    Last hard: not sure
    Last rest: Saturday
  • Options

RFJ - I had a similar thing recently; just after Prague I started to get shin pain which I thought was from shin splints, etc but thought it was from lots o fwalking miles around the city at shamble pace in crap shoes. The pain happened more when I was walking than running, although I could feel it a little bit when I was slower. There was a dreadful creaking in the shin and the physio said it wasn't shin splints.

After much thinking of what could be causing it, I remembered that I'd changed the insert in the heel of my shoe of my shorter leg just before Prague so experimented with putting in my old Sorbothane heel insert instead. The pain went almost immediately!! After a week I did the Sheffield HM with no pain at all (and the shin creak went).

Maybe your problem is something similar if it hurts to walk but not run. Does your calf.shin creak? Have you got/had shorter leg problems diagnosed?

• Options
    Micksta - well done on your 10k result!
  • Options

TOM:

I shall do that, will see him on thursday no doubt at the track.

BT is now a full time Physiotherapist, he has his own company. He is based at the Julie Rose stadium in Ashford.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Micksta - well done on your 10k.  Sounds like the second part of  the course was more difficult.  Had it not been then maybe you could've got nearer to 35 mins, the pace of your 1st km.  Look forward to seeing you get back to your old times.

Stickless - well done on your double figure run.  Bet it feel good!

what - am 20 miles at average 7.56 pace  / pm 4 miles
    why - love doing long runs

• Options

Sportaloo - thanks for the clarification.  There have been plenty of times in the last 2 years where life has got in the way of training here too.  Like many on here, if the training is going well the posting ratio increases.

Micksta - I'm glad you're satisfied with your 10k time.  Is there any reason why BIG TIM doesn't get the capital letters in your reportimage.  I had a weakness in my left leg following my 2006 injury - it was like there was one weak muscle in there somewhere which meant I lacked drive.

RFJ - interesting self diagnosis.  In your shoes I'd run.

Stickless - nice to do over 10 miles

Tom - do you have some numbers from your session?  For some of us it gives life a balance to read themimage

What: 20 miles at 7:56 pace / 4 miles pm
    Why: I hate doing long runs

• Options

Stickless (which I originally typed as "Stckielse" - brain fade) - well done on your double-digit run!

micksta - good 10k - very satisfying, I imagine (I can only dream of running at those speeds).

What: 12.75M at average 8.28 pace
    Why: long-ish run of the week
    Last hard: Last Sunday
    Last rest: yesterday

So, today's "gentle jog" was about 15 secs/mile faster than last week's race over a similar distance!  Shows you what the heat last weekend did to me.  Felt very comfortable all the way today, apart from some tightness inmy left calf and ITB - need to keep an eye on that, I think.

Take care.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

FL - interesting point about shorter leg bit, as one is shorter, cant remember which though! But had problems with a calf injury on the opposite leg a couple of years ago.... but the pain is quite different.

Havent changed shoes / or inserts at all lately, but all shoes / trainers are in good shape and not overused.

Thanks for the confimation BR, my thoughs exactly... i'm affraid I tend to be one of these runners that runs till I can;t, not always sensible I know...... I dont like waiting on the bench unless I have to be. So will step off it now cautiously and wait out for the physio next week (27th).

Tinebeest - I superinate when I run, and tend to strike in the middle to outside of my foot, whilst walking I tend to heel strike.....

Take care

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Micksta - Well done  in the 10Km and send BT my best on Thursday
    Stickless - Well done on your 12 miler.

What: 13.31 miles
    Why: Long run/sarfend half in 3 weeks
    Last Hard: Today

Today was a long run for me i decided on 2 laps a 6 mile (and a bit) where i took it very easy, 2nd lap plan was up HR keep it near to 146 as i could (70%) that was hard had to continuely work at pushing it when HR dropped but pleased

some stats for you
    Split time Avg. HR
    10:40 126 (57%)
    10:32 129 (59%)
    10:36 130 (59%)
    10:31 126 (57%)
    10:31 129 (59%)
    10:27 128 (58%) 6 miles in 1:03:19

Split time Avg. HR
    9:35 140 (66%)
    9:29 142 (68%)
    9:32 145 (69%)
    9:31 147 (71%)
    9:26 145 (70%)
    9:37 147 (71%)
    9:50 149 (72%)
    2:58 149 (72%) 7.31 miles in 1:10:02

I'm happy with that, this is after less than 6 hours sleep (working last night)

Funnily enough during the first half could feel my calfs tightening a lot but during the 2nd half they recovered - no problem

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    hi chaps

MY first DNS

too sily really as I was inside PB pace at 50km 35miles and 40miles.

Pulled out at 44.5 miles in 5.14

Total energy crash basicaally. So bad I could not run 9.30 pace. Hamstring was tender after the incident with a bike and I hate to say it but 10+ min miles and risk of injury with Comrades in 4 weeks was not appealing so I bailed.

I can say that even with support bailing is a horrible experience and one I dont want to do again.

Gobi.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Stickless - good news

Micksta - well done. No more pushing injuries - if you're well enough to race - you must be fit now.

RFJ - get organised with the cross-training
  • Options

I survived , yay

WP 3:57:56 aim sub 4 image.
    Windermere 4:21ish aim 4:30 ish image.

Original aim was two sub 4's , but legs did n't feel up to it this morning , so set a new target today.

not bad for a weekends work image.

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Gobi, I'm really sorry that you had to pull out, though my sympathetic words won't make feel any better. All I can say is that if a tough nut like yourself has to let go then it must have been the right thing to do.

BR: It was actually 8x600 off 1:45 intended recovery though I was struggling to hold that down after the first 4 reps, At present I'm only timing the last rep as I don't want to get too hung up on the speed at this early stage. The last one was timed at 2:19 which is 6:12 pace, ie somewhere between my 3k and 5k pace. I'm running a midweek 5k up at Lincoln on Wednesday where I think 19:40 would reflect my current state of fitness (cf CBTT 5k of 20:10, two weeks ago)
  • Options

Gobi - well done for having the presence of mind to drop out. Are you still planning on Edinburgh after all this?

RFJ - I also supinate when I run and heel strike when I walk; maybe we have similar problems!

Joe - well done for that result, you're getting good at predicting your finish time!

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

It seems I follow your injuries FL, it was ankle a while back if I remember..!

Gobi, sorry to hear, but awesome running still to get PBs a 3 distances on route, but probably a wise decision to drop and conserve for SA..

Joe hawk, that is some serious running, well done.

• Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Comrades in 4 weeks, and from what I recall that was your A race, not this one. Sounds sense to me. Sense can be very unpalatablel, and yes, I have hated every time I pulled up. Just add it on to the Comrades account: one more reason to give it everything. Two of those monster runs inside a month is a big ask, careful recovery planning required.

Bravo Joe, Micksta. Sounds good.

• Options
    NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Stickless - congrats on the double digits - sounded like a good run. I always find it easier to do a long run in a group, where you are talking all the time, and the distance just takes care of itself.

Micksta - sounded like your really enjoyed that - well done.

Hilly - nice training - as always.

BR - cheeky - as alwaysimage

Pammie - good long run - you are getting stronger all the time.

Gobi - sorry about the dnf - I know how it feels, and it is awful, but you have had some wonderful running at all distances recently, it is very difficult to know, how fast is too fast. You really have to talk to the ultra experts on your feeding strategy - it is the most important part I believe, apart from mind-power, and your current low weight probably isn't helping in the ultra department, whereas it is great for the shorter distances.

Joe Hawk - was that 2 marathons for the weekend? Amazing.

Hope TMR has had a good day, and other racers have got what they wanted.

What: 17km with Y - another nice run in a group - really look forward to these runs.

Good running everyone.

• Options

sorry, i am in a bad mood

I will read back -well, tomorrow-have to eat and then get up at 4 to go back to cardiff

awful week, weekend wprse

but  Windy mara done-4.43-had a nightmare, am knackered

er, was good to meeet Joe Hawk-hope your second mara went ok mate

sorry guys, not in a good place right now

• Options

I have read back a bit

Joe, awesone mate, glad the hip held up

and gobi, said this elsewhere, but you ran a blinder 3 weeks ago, and Comrades is the goal

sorry to be a mardy cow