Options

Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 Trail Marathon

Comments

• Options

Hey Hollow Legs

I did this one last year and found it very friendly. I didn't get lost and I have nothing negative to say about it. I am looking forward to doing it again next month.

• Options
    hey hollow legs - im tempted by the 30k as a training run but am near harlow so its a long way for me too
  • Options
    entered this one - did a warm 20 miler today, not long now !
  • Options
    Ok guys, you all sound very fit and pro...
    however, I'm merely in training for half marathon in Sept and was going to do
    EAS 10k at Castle Combe as part of training. But have been told its really boring
    flogging round a track.
    So.... how about this 10 k at Salisbury - is it really hilly for legs that have only
    been running since January and more used to flatter terrain??
    Countryside sounds fab.
    Your seasoned advice would be most welcome!!
  • Options
    I don't know how hilly it is but if you are doing 10k then I would have thought you should be more than up to it. Just take it easy and don't tear off at the start. Oh and by the way I like 10k on the track but each to their ownimage
  • Options
    Thanks for that Runner Bean.
    Think I'll go for it - as its good to get out of your own neighbourhood
    and see fresh country.
    Bought the garmin forerunner which has revolutionized my training
    and races. Saved me last w/e at Magor Marsh 10k from burning out
    in the first few k, helping me keep to my target race pace which I was
    able to hold till the end.
    Good luck on your marathon, might think about that next year if legs
    hold up!
  • Options
    I have been toying with buying the garman but it looks so bulky. I think the latest one is smaller so maybe it is time to treat myself.
  • Options
    New one not bulky at all - and use it as my everyday watch, no probs.
    Only glitch I've had is that I use a mac which it wont be compatible
    for wireless downloading until Oct - but pc's are fine Wouldn't be without
    it now. Go for it!
  • Options
    Which one have  you got and I'll look it up.  Just to keep on the thread I have nearly decided to do the marathon but need to find a campsite or B&B within half an hour drive
  • Options

RB - go on do the marathon, you know you want to. I'm sure there'll be a B&B/campsite nearby - why not contact the organisers ? They'd know the area well.

I did a last long one (20-ish miler) last Saturday, and nearly melted last night doing 9, it was really hot. I  don't do running in the heat well (and being a South African that's an embarressing admission!).  Still looking forward to this whatever the weather.

• Options

RB- Campsite Hudson's Field, i believe a short walk from the start. http://www.salisbury.gov.uk/leisure/parks-and-open-spaces/camping-and-caravanning.htm details on here.

• Options
    ...do you wear a hat when running in the heat?  I used to run a lot in Riyadh Saudi Arabia and if I did not wear a hat then I could not run more than a mile.  With a hat I could run 10+ miles (with all other things being equal).  I used to wear one of those Laurence of Arabia things - looked ridiculous but it worked!
  • Options
    My Garmin is a Forerunner 50.
    There are other more 'all singing, all dancing' ones in this
    series for lots more money - natch! But I find it's got everything I
    need. Mine came with HR monitor. Check them out.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?

cID=142&compare=compare&compareProduct=10527&compareProduct=11039
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Well that is my online entry gone through for the 20K - then I read on here that there is a good opportunity to get lost enroute - just how well signed is this course?
  • Options

I would say well sign-posted.  I only went wrong once last year - and that was my own fault for somehow missing a very obvious yellow arrow !

How is everyone doing for this one ? Still no long enough range forecasts to see what the weather will be like....  Anything like last Sunday's heat  and it will just be a survival exercise !!

• Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭

Evening all

I'm looking forward to doing this one (30k) but hope it wont be TOO hot. I'm probably gonna take my waist camelbak like last year to add to the water available at the water stations.
    I'm using this as a long training run for Amsterdam mara in Oct so aiming for a finish around 3:20-3:30 image

• Options

I'm nervous about this. Doing the 30k (if i get the courage). Haven't run that far before, done a few 16 mile training runs but thats it. Is it very hilly do you know?

x

• Options
    It is quite hilly - but just walk the hills. As you'll see many people do image 
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Yeah- it's a very relaxed run and don't worry about the hills too much, many folk walk them it gives you time to take in the scenery image
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmmmmm. Well this sounds like an interesting run. Just done the Surrey slog and the Milland Valley 14, Hi Tom by the way, so a 20km at this run would fit in nicely. I dont like paying the extra to book online, so are there likely to be places still available on the day does anybody know?
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭

Muttley, My maths aren't that good but I am certain that it worked out cheaper to enter online than on the day!

Anyway my race pack arrived today #278.

• Options
    hm i only posted my entry yesterday - was there a limit up to which they will post out the race pack or after which you have to collect on the day? iv entered the 30k
  • Options
    Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭
    Hi all. Just thought would check put forum.

K1 are you still out there? I have entered the London 2 Brighton race and I am using this as part of my training plan with my mate who is also in both. Did you enter in the end? Would be good to say hello Sunday if you did. I have also entered a 40 mile race in Coventry next month as prep for L2B. Would be good to catch up with somone else to compare training notes. Will be my second ultra, apart from a 33.4 miler last month which I'm not counting and Coventry of course next month. Did an 18 miler on Saturday just gone, so no taper for me wahtsoever! For those that dont know the L2B is 56 miles which is why no taper. In fact I am increasing the miles this week, so quite the reverse.

This looks a great race from the comments. I am thinking of driving down from Bedfordshire on the morning rather than camping. Anyone know how long it will take to get from Luton to the race? Will be very early on Sunday so road should be empty?
  • Options
    Shall I shan't I? Shall I shan't I? Blimey I'm not always this indecisive!
  • Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

Do it RB!

Salisbury mara is a great race - I shall be back for a second year this yearimage

• Options

Hello all - have finally got round to entering this - has been in my diary for yonks.  Have entered the 20k as a LSR. (Hi Runner D!).

A question: I entered online and  I noticed it gave an option for U16 trail runners for the 10 and 20k which surprised me cos I didn't think you could do even 10ks until you were 16 or something.  But there's another category for U16 walkers so it looks like they don't mind kids entering the 10k run at least.  My 13 yr old son's dying to do it (he'll have no trouble with the distance or terrain) so I've entered him with my husband to do the 10k.  But am just wondering if there's a mistake on the RW site and they'll turn round and say he's too young.  What do you think?

Have posted a question in the box on the entry form that gives you a chance to talk to the race organisers (perhaps I should have kept quiet. He's tall and easily looks 16!).

• Options
    If they say he can't do it you can always say it was his younger brother you were talking about....... Sometimes it's best not to say anything.  seriously the only thing I can think of is that he may not be covered by the insurance that always forms part of the race fee.
  • Options

Hi Artful Hen,

Yes its fine for children  to do the event. Mine did the 10km last year and they were only 12 &11.  Its quite a scenic route as it takes you up around old sarum.

The whole event is very laid back

Andy 

• Options
    Ooh, Dr Who - thanks for letting me know!  I'm really looking forward to it.