Options

Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 Trail Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Oh dear gld.  Did you not get a map in your race info pack?  I thought that was a really good map, showing the fire station in relation to all the other things nearby.
  • Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Good time for me, considering the lack of training, the heat and the hills.  Only did the 10k this year, but might have to do the 20k next time.  I agree that the organisation wasn't the best - the race information said to register, but then we didn't have too.  All a bit strange.  The 10k route wasn't bad, but there were loads of people getting lost on the home straight for the other routes, so I ended up unofficailly marshalling it, because I didn't want my fellow club runners going the wrong way.

The main reasons that I would do it again is because of the lack of other races in the summer and the lack of other races that do 20k and 30k distances.

• Options

that's a shame, gld!

that was kind of you supercaz!! i could have done with you! yep, i think marshalls once you hit the town would be really good - apparently signs were put out but somebody must have taken them back down again - it's harder to do that with people!!!

if i were to do it again i'd run with a friend, i didn't like being lost on my own - i have no sense of direction and there were no other runners about (not that i'm slow or anythingimage)

• Options

You're not slow Runner D!  Anything but!

SuperCaz, where did you unofficiallly marshall? I was very glad of who ever it was on the final turn before the finish. If it was you - imageimageimage

• Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭

Well done everybody and gldayton so sorry with what happened to you.

I met up with a 'fellow Fetchie' which was great to put a face to the name (James) and  had a great run and ran it faster than the planned training run it was meant to be ...oops.
    I had no problems with directions as I did it last year and was lucky enough to be in contact with other runners throughout. I did help a group of runners towards to the end who were unsure of the way but we all made it to the finish without any problems image

My husband and son walked the 20k route so I showered at the Leisure centre and got fed and watered and then sat in my car waiting for them to finish which was nice image

• Options

Tiny tia - i think you were the one that saved me and a few others when we got a bit confused just before the race course?

If it was you - thank's so much!

x

• Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭

iwtt- I think it was after the racecourse part, but I thik there were many helpful souls pointing the way out today image

• Options

hey everyone, i did the 30k and had a great day out - some excellent last minute competition between us (bishop's stortford), portsmouth joggers and orion....although the finish was a bit further away than i had anticipated! ran all the hills apart from the first one, where the bottleneck prevented anything but walking! signage had disappeared coming out of the foresty bit near the end, which lost us a bit of time, and running through town was a bit bizarre!

runner duck - i saw you just before the start but you were further forward, and we never caught up to you so i could say hi - you must have been going quite speedy!

• Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭

Well that was an interesting 20K run - I found myself in the lead at the bottom of Sarum Castle and running a bit quicker than planned so throttled back. Over the next few miles I counted about nine runners going past me before we reached the Clarendon Way. Then at Alderbury, disaster struck as I misread a sign and went running off towards Downton - after about quarter of a mile of seeing nothing (including other runners) I had to consult the map and being a tad tired I had to concede that I did not know where I was to make a choice as to which direction I should be going, so about turned and ran back to my last good position, just in time to see a group of runners cross the road in front of me and disappear up an annoyingly well marked path into Longford Park!

I managed to overtake a few more runners before splitting onto the 20K route back to Salisbury.  Now this is where I start getting annoyed (though it was funny at the time). I navigated the giratory system and headed along New Harnham Road and straight past the marshalled drinks station continuing on towards Wilton! It wasn't until about a half mile later that I met three annoyed looking runners coming back along Netherhampton Road - so I wasn't the only one!

I about turned and met another runner who had also been misdirected, but being local he suggested cutting across the Water meadows (Being an FSSA runner i had to trust his judgement). Two of the other three runners who we had met caught us and went past and soon we were in Salisbury Town Centre. I did remember reading in the race pack to stick to the Riverwalk and I duly did this and was surprised on crossing the finish line to find myself 4th!!! I don't know what happened to the guys that overtook me in the Water meadows but I never saw them again and then to cap it all about five minutes later the chap who took the lead over from me at Old Sarum finished.  

My Garmin clocked that whole adventure for me at a shade under fifteen miles - no wonder I had blisters.

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Yep, that was me at the last turn.  I finished the 10k just as the first 20k runners were finishing, and they were taking all sorts of interesting routes through the car park to the finish.  Then the traffic started to build up and I saw a couple of near misses between cars and runners, so I decided to try and help out.

I know that it was signed, but when you are tired you can't see things properly so it wasn't surprising that people were taking the wrong turns.

• Options

Seems like there have been a fair few lost runners. I think i'm lucky that i only had to stop once. I don't know my finish time though...no-one said anything as i crossed over.

Oh well, it was a good day

x

• Options

Fantastic day - loved every minute of it. We never got lost (I did it last year though and remembered the last few miles very clearly). Met lots of friendly people, both runners and marshals. Thought the quantity and frequency of the water stations was excellent for an event of this kind.

Thank you to all involved.

• Options
    sorry i missed you, witch image
  • Options
    I can't say I enjoyed that much, my legs were heavy from the start and my head was not in it. I hated everything from half way till the race course. Walked loads went wrong(Our fault it was signposted we just missed it). PW by almost an hour when I am in shape to PB.
    I will be sticking to roads from now on.

Thanks to all the marshalls and those involved for a good event (just not for me)
  • Options

yeah Wrinty - I nearly missed the turn into that park where the 20k split off, too.  And it sounds like those marshalls were a nightmare at the last water stop.  They sent me the right way, but only after I shouted to ask them which way to go.  I was on my own so it wasn't as if they were overwhelmed with custom at that stage. 

SuperCaz - thank you for your marshallling.  The one who tells you its only 100 yards to go is always a favourite!  Goooooood luck with your Wightacross!

• Options

This is the third time I have done this, it was originally a trail walk which seems to be more popular now as a running event!!!  May be the organisers should recognise this and put some marshals out and about in the town, I did go slightly wrong at the end, daftly followed the runners in front and I knew we had all gone wrong!!!  I got back on track though - thanks for the help at the end Supercaz, I could not see the finish for looking!!!

There was a lot more road than I remember from previous years.

Cheers

Whizzy

• Options

I was sent the wrong way at the last aid station (Harnam?).  V frustrating.  Ended up with 14.2 miles in 1:49 ish.  Not a bad time for me.  Still didn't spoil a fantastic day and great course - hey you don't come to this event to run a PB - or even to watch the clock too closely.  Let's not forget that it's supposed to be fun!

Sorry about the poster above who got lost trying to find the Fire Station and ended up at the Racecourse. I saw those AA signs too and wondered if anyone would do that!  However, I did think the map in the joining pack was excellent and shouldn't have led to any problems... even for those who don't use satnav.  Never mind.

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Marathon results are up.  Other results will be up tomorrow.

http://www.salisburyfirestation.info/results.htm

• Options

Does anyone know this run compares to the Clarendon marathon?

Did the 30k but would like to try a marathon distance now.

Anyone done this?

x

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    There is a route of the Clarendon on the internet somewhere.  I think it is on the same site as I posted for this race a few days ago.  The first part of the route is the same but then it veers off to Winchester.  Hubby is doing this as his first marathon, so he has been looking into it.  I think the terrain is very similar, although hopefully it will be cooler as it is later in the eyar.
  • Options

hmmm...i'm not sure if i'm up to it quite yet.

Definately want to do a marathon soon though - maybe next year!

x

• Options

Hellloooo All

Well it was a day out i guess !!. I must admit i did enjoy it although i was in pain towards the end off the marathon, i would say on the whole this is an excellent event OK some things got wonky but its a lot of preparation,with so many events in one day.I finished some how so on a personal note bloody pleased ,and yes it was mad going in and out off the tourist around the city,but really chaps if you ran it, walked it, staggered it did you did it , so be pleased with yourself as i am , now off to the pub to celebrate some more........!!!  

• Options
    iwanttotri - the Clarendon is similar I understand, but all off road and, according to fellow club runner yesterday - has a killer last seven miles...
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭

I notice that the photographs from the event are now online at www.seemeinaction.com

• Options

i've heard lots of really good things about clarendon - but it is tough!

just looked at my photos - i walked in and my photos are much better than usual - maybe i should try that more often image

• Options

lol rd! we wandered into the town after showering and met a guy on our way back who recommended clarendon. its a bit close to abingdon this year tho!

my photos are not hideous shall we say, but i am again reminded of my weird hand positionings when running - whats with the splayed fingers? Me! (also can be seen in my profile picture actually!)

• Options
    hm have had a look at the results and my position and time is definately wrong - i was two minutes slower than in the results...image
  • Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Hubby wasn't impressed with his results either.  He said that he started his Garmin on gun time so he can't understand why his official time is so far off.

They also have a lot of people in the wrong events.  One of my friends was walking the 20k but they have her down as a runner in the 30k event.  She was the one wearing running gear with the three dogs, so it would have been impressive if she had managed to walk 30k so quickly!

I've got a great photo!  I actually have both feet off the ground and I look like I am running.

• Options

My photo's are horrible....

• Options

Am thrilled with my pics - two out of three even have feet off the ground!  And wearing sunnies means you can't see if eyes are shut (which they usually are).

Loving the photographer and the site - the 'hold to compare' feature is fab.