Options

St Catherine's Hospice Crawley 10K and Fun Run

I've just signed up for this race and am wondering what i'm letting myself in for. Anyone else signed up? Any tips on what the course is like etc?

This will be my 3rd 10k and i'm a slow coach trying desparately to break the 1hr mark. I've come within 4 seconds so am training hard for this one.

Anyone else running it?

Cara

Comments

• Options
    Pete SherriPete Sherri ✭✭✭

Hi Cara,

I did this last year and will probably run it this year, as its my local race

The course is quite a toughie, mostly off road and up and down hill through Tilgate forest. It is a nice run, having said that, and the trees keep it cool if the weather is hot.

You get a nice track start and finish too. Oh and the facilities at K2.

I wouldn't say it a PB course though, I was about 11 minutes outside my one.

• Options

Hi Cara

I think I may enter this race as I only live in Horsham.  image

Ran the Race for Life at Tilgate last year and have run two, 10K's in the last couple of months. 

Like you I am trying to break the hour, so need to knock 27 seconds off my time. 

I need to train much harder, oh joy!! image

Juliet

• Options

Hi Juliet,

Didn't you do the Horsham 10k too? It's hard to forget that heat! I also live in Horsham and I've been training hard since the 10k, but am getting a little tired from it so maybe it wasn't the best move image

I've got some work colleagues running too so it'll be a laugh whatever.

Think I might try to get to Tilgate forest somepoint to check it out after Pete's comments... i'm a little worried now!

Let me know how you training goes!

Cara 

• Options

Hi Cara

Yep it's me.  Can't believe the weather changes so much.  I got sunburn running the Horsham 10K and a nasty cold doing the BUPA one in London on Monday. 

I think I may be slighty mad, but thinking of trying to run the Dorking 10 miler this weekend.  Going to see how I feel on Saturday, but might just give it a go! image

Maybe the sun went to my headimage 

Juliet

• Options

Sounds like an excellant idea! I was going to do that one, but am away this weekend now. I have ran one half marathon (last March), but am still really a novice.

Hey - maybe we can run together sometime!

Good luck with the 10 miler!

Cara 

• Options

Cara

Have come down with tonsillitis (I blame the weather at the BUPA 10K), so decided not to run on Sunday. image

I will do the St Catherine's 10K and also plan to run the Royal Parks Half Marathon in October. 

Well, I need something to aim for!

Enjoy your weekend

Juliet

• Options

Juliet,

Sorry to hear you are not well... I hope you get better soon. Do you already have a place in the Royal Parks HM? I looked a few weeks back and it was full. I'm thinking of doing Barns Green half in November but just focusing on this 10k first.

Speaking of which - i'd better get off to bed so that I get up in time for my 6 miler in the morning!

Cara

• Options

Cara

I tried to get in but it was full.  Even tried for a charity place, but couldn't get one!  Thought it would be a easier half than the Barns Green.  In a mad moment I looked at the Barns Green website and entered.  Thinking better of it as I haven't even run 10 Miles yet.  image

Have been looking at local races at there is one the week before this in Cranleigh.  You run part of it on the Downs Link which is lovely.    Not sure which one I will do yet, but think the Cranleigh one will be less busy. 

Not sure where you live in Horsham but if you fancy going out for a run some time let me know.  I live just past the Iron Bridge.  I Saturday morning favourite is to run up to Plummers Plain and back.  It's a hard run as it's hilly, but the run back is just lovely, or I also run up Denne Hill, although it's got to be a nice, dry day and not late in the day.  Running in the woods at night is not great!!!!

Go out with a Personal Trainer tonight, so I better go and rest up.  She's going to kill me later!!image

Speak to you soon.

Juliet

• Options

Hi Juliet,

We should definitely meet sometime for a training run. I'm pretty tight for time this week, but i'm sure we can sort something out soon.

I've changed my user ID so that I can receive private messages. Drop me a message and we'll sort something out!

Hope the training is going well.

Cara

• Options

Greetings to you all. Sadly, I'm out this year as I'm away at York races, which let's face it, is a better prospect than trudging around Tilgate Forest. I don't want to put anyone off, coz this is a really good run with good atmos and well organised. But it's challenging for sure. The bit in the forest is tough....but there's always the downhill bit. If you get a PB you've either had a very good day or you're a mountain Yak. Good luck to you all. I (sort of) wish I was gonna be there. A really good cause as well, the St. Katherine's Hospice.

• Options

Well sent my application off today, so I'm in.

A nice short race for me, as I did South Downs Marathon at the weekend.

But I will want to do it fast, want to try and beat 1 hour this time.

• Options

Hey Pete - glad to hear someone else is in! Congratulations on your marathon.

I really want to beat 1 hour too... although i'm not confident with the hills i'm hearing about - I think i'm going to do Cranleigh the week before to get a flat one in just in case image

• Options

So, has everyone got their race pack and number?

I'm thinking of doing Cranleigh too Cara, just fancy a race this weekend thats all.

• Options

Hi all,

I have just started running again after 20 years off a and this will be my first race!

Pack came a few days ago with the timing chip in the number - it's all hi tech nowadays eh!

I didn't realise it was through Tilgate Forsest but luckily for me I have been training in St Leonards Forest anyway so hopefully I am prepared but I am a bit nervous. I must admit I prefer to be under the trees if it's hot as even the short stints that I do in the open when training are hard work when the sun's shining. 

Good luck next Sunday everyone!

• Options

Hi ChrisCross,

Welcome back to running after all those years. What tempted you to put your trainers back on?

Looking at the forecast for the upcoming week, I think mud could be an issue next Sunday. But hey, nothing like some muddy legs, eh?

• Options

Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward to slogging through the mud on Sunday. Fortunately I train around the North Downs from Godalming so I'm (hopefully) prepared for the conditions.

No idea what time to aim for - if it was a reasonably flat road race I'd be looking for 45:00. Any suggestions on what time that might translate to in a wet & muddy Crawley 10k?!

• Options

Hi there MTH,

Well I did the Cranleigh 10k in 55:40 last Sunday, and that was reasonably flat, though also off road.

I did Crawley last year in 1hr 03 mins, which shows you the difference. Though it was a hot morning too.

Not wet and muddy though, just up hill for half of it!

• Options

I'm not sure really. My family are growing up and I felt like I had a bit more energy and time so needed a new challenge. I'd forgotten how good the runner's high is too image

I'm just aiming to get round the course on Sunday without stopping rather than worrying about a time.

I'll be wearing a black and yellow running shirt, very old Reebock trainers and not much hair so say hi when you pass me!

• Options

Hey Pete - I wasn't far behind you last week... official time for Cranleigh was 56:51, but my Garmin time was 56:30. I'm not expecting to match this on Sunday but am hoping I will break 1 hr... it's going to be tough though

CCChris - My real aim is to get round without walking and make it up those hills! Enjoy your race... i'll be the one at the back with a red face and swearing at the hills image

• Options
    Does anyone know if Adults can run in the 3KM or is this aimed at kids? If not can one dress up image
  • Options
    It doesn't say anything about it being just for kids so I would be 99% sure it's for anyone.
  • Options

Cool image

Thank you. As for dressing up?? Do people dress up for the fun run?

• Options

Cara:good luck for Sunday,im at Rochester that day....

taking into account the course,i still think you'll break the hour,you ran very strong last week and i know you can build on that....

im at elmbridge  on the 20th and  harlow the week after (which is a 10 miler)....

• Options

Well good luck everyone for tomorrow!

I'm really looking forward to it.

Though it hasn't helped going along to the Ardingly Vintage Vehicle Show. Some friends of mine are helping to run the beer tent!

I think I walked the beer off though!

• Options

I just got home from this - great event! great course, loved the start and end, and great organisation.

I ran a PB of 41m38s  - my previous was 42m17s - can anyone verify the length of the course - the second half from 5k to home seemed to be really fast - did anyone have a garmin on an can verify?!

Also what is the website where the results will be posted / any course photos?

• Options

Well this was my first 10k since I was a teenager (now 41!) and it was great. Hard work though - I think I pushed a little to hard up the hills at the beginning as I was flagging a bit towards the end. I loved the track finish though as the cheering crowds really spur you on. I even managed a sprint for the final 100m!

About a 56min time for me which I am over the moon with to be honest as I wasn't expecting to break the 1hr mark. Looking forward to my next race already image

A big thanks to St. Catherine's Hospice and their volunteers - you did a cracking job!

• Options

The results are up already on:

http://www.sportsystems.net/Results/ResultsStCatherine08All.pdf

I would be interested in what others thought about the length - the last km felt a bit short to me, but I am delighted with my time.

• Options
    Yes I thought the last km was short too. It could just be because of the change of surface and the fact that I upped the pace but I hope it was a valid 10km otherwise I'll be disappointed next time!
  • Options

Hi all,

I don't have a Garmin/GPS but did my splits at each kilometre. The last kilometre was 3:00!! I can't run that for a single kilometre, let alone at the end of a 10k race!

However, there was one kilometre earlier on which was a minute slower than the others. Maybe they evened each other out?

As Tony said, I'd be interested to hear the Garmin verdict...

• Options

Just checked my Garmin and it says total distance was 5.92 miles.

I thought it was a little short too and didn't think I was running fast enough for my 56:24 time... A little dissapointing really as I can't really count that as a 10k time now and that would have been a PB by 6 seconds!

Anyone know if the guy who had collapsed half way round was ok? I felt bad running by, but there was nothing I could do and there was already enough people stopped...