Options

Who Fancies Comrades 2010?

Comments

• Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Martin - feel for you fella but still two weeks to go and as others have said rest, ice and may well be worth getting it checked by a sports physio.

Slow Duck - inspirational as always and well done on the 5km PB plus already thinking of Two Oceans and the next challenge and get a reserved number at that as well. Looking forward to meeting you again.

Trinity - ouch it never rains but it pours! Hope both work and domestically things sort themselves out. At the least you have a great distraction in Comrades coming up.

Katie - does yoga help? I have never really tried it and wonder if you have to "believe" for it to work or can you start with a realatively sceptical attitude and be won over (no offence meant)

Sportaloo - good solid running as always and better to have any infection now rather than in two weeks I guess (eek just realised in two weeks it will all be over bar the beers!)

Trinirunner - do you plan on doing Comrades then in ultra lightweights? Never been braveenough to run long distances in them?

As for me...feeling old and tired today. Guess its the result of the taper kicking in, plus two nights out in a row partying. Body just isnt used to that anymore but nothing else on horizon till after Comrades so its rest and light running from here on in. This weekend was only two 10 milers and a total of 40 miles for the week - cant believe that I used to aim for 40 and call it a good week! Now its tapering. Next week will be less prob around 30-35.

Does anyone know roughly how much  ataxi costs from the new airport to the Hilton in Durban? Any tips not to get fleaced (like a tourist at Heathrow?) Any public transport options?

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Sporta - good work but take care with your infection. Two weeks should be enough to recover as long as you don't push your body too hard.

Trini - thanks for that. I'll text you my number when I'm at work tomorrow (we live in deepest darkest Surrey and don't have mobile coverage in our part of the village!)

Keith - taxis from the old airport used to cost around 200 Rand - the new one is probably twice as far as the old one so may be 400 - 500 Rand? But I'm just guessing as the new airport has only been open for 2 weeks!

Well if it's not BA then it's Eyjafjallajokull... Hope the ash clears up for all our flights!
  • Options
    Hey everyone.

Just a serious word for a mo... we have THIRTEEN sleeps before a hot hilly 56mile run, you will need all your energy... ease right off on the running!!!

30/40 miles this week?? Ask yourself "why?" and what good will it do you? Just do a few gentle miles, this would be much better.

You wont lose anything if you run very little between now and the big day, all your training is in the bank, and in those last 30k you will wish you had run LESS in these last few days.

Sorry about going on... its just that I remember those last 30k and how absolutely flippin shagged I was, so if I can pass that on...

I'll get me coat.
  • Options

Hey kids, it's soooo close huh? I can feel it, smell it, almost touch it. Still paranoid that I haven't done enough and it's so weird now doing so little running but I am being good and resting up. The problem is I get so bored so easily - there's suddenly all this time and I don't know what to fill it with.

Trinity, sorry to hear of your lows, that don't sound great. I had a similar run of bads last year in the lead up to the Copenhagen marathon, culminating in my partner at the time telling me she wanted to end it - that was in Copenhagen the night before the race. Great timing! As you can imagine, my head wasn't the best on the day. The most important thing is to focus on the event I think - it's an escape, as much as anything else, and you can't be spending valuable energies worrying about anything else right now.

Right, that's my daytime agony uncle rant well and truly over.

Neil, I am making it my vow today to carry your words of wisdom with me. Rest, rest and rest again.

Happy Mondays everyone!!!

• Options

Neil - my philosophy entirely! I'll be running just 30 miles in the next 13 days!

Keith - the Speedstars are middle of the road and still have good cushioning and support. They are 8oz vs 13oz for my trainers (1140 and 2140). Definitely not in the 'racing flat' category.

• Options
    Hi Trinirunner - can I ask... what on earth is all this? image What are Speedstars? And all this 8oz versus 13oz gubbins image I am well lost. In my paranoid state I instantly feel like I need one - or them.
  • Options

Stephen, don't change anything now!!!! imageSpeedstars are ASICS running shoes. They are light weight and I use them on all very long races, except trail as they have almost no tread. I learnt from someone on a previous Ultra thread some years ago that reducing the weight of your shoes reduces fatigue and also increases speed (I'm only bothered about the fatigue part!) It is a delicate balance though as reduced weight = reduced cushioning and stability. True racing flats are half the weight of a typical running shoe, but they have no cushioing and are really for short distances although I have seen some Ultra runners lining up in them. I work on the basis that, at my age, I need everything in my favour, hence the use of lightest technology! I also have a Carbon bike and Carbon/Kevlar Surfskiimage

• Options
    Wow - this is a whole new world to me. Thanks for the insight into it. As you rightly point out, I definitely won't be changing anything now, not at this late stage. All food for thought for another time, another mission. Thanks! image
  • Options

Hey guys.

Comforting to hear all your advice and very reassyrubg to hear that rest is the strict order of action! I still feel slightly undertrained but I suppose anything that I do now will hinder rather than help so the best thing to is to take it very easy.

Nervous and excited now. So many thoughts, so many worries but so looking forward to the challenge. Can't believe it is now less than two weeks away. I know it is really going to hurt but I'm confident that both physically but mainly mentally it will all be ok!

See you out there.

Ed

• Options

Hi All

Trinity- Take care

3 Days on groin feeling a lot better. Not running is so hard but no its the right thing to do! May try a very light jog in the next few days but only if feel nothing while walking.

Just had an e-mail. I assume they are talking abot the card due July so not worrying. Is that right

ASH CLOUDSimage

• Options

Greetings Comrades

Be strong! You are ALREADY strong!

It is time to go deep into your inner reserves and realise just how much you have achieved already.

Here are your instructions for the Big Day...

Step 1. Put one foot infront of the other, at a rate you are comfortable with

Step 2. Repeat step 1, until...

Step 3. You arrive at the Sahara Stadium, then stop.

A mantra for you to repeat to help focus on achieving Step 3...

" EACH... STEP... THIS... STEP... will GET... me TO... the END ... - ..." 

The Master knows that you will find the rhythm  - and that you WILL achieve what you wish for.

You know this too.

• Options
    Wise words Master!!

Well my challenge has reduced from BA strike and Ash Clouds down to AshM BA stike deemed illegal image

• Options

Fly planes, fly!

Good luck with the inury there marty - hope you're able to do a light run out in a few days. But if not, don't stress - keep off it til you're ready.

I'm coughing like a ruddy chuff-chuff and, though I haven't run for a few days, I am definitely still staying off the roads until I'm better. I'd hate to go and run a bit now and then have it delay my recovery from cold. This is the third strange mini cold I've had in 4 weeks. Taper? Grrrr.

• Options

Folks, your advice pretty please...

I'm sure this has been answered before, but you can get a ChampionChip over there right? Or would you advise on getting one here beforehand? It's just that the last email from the Comrades was so insistent on it that it's got me thinking I'd better get one asap.

• Options
    Hi Stephen

YES, chips are available at the Expo, I got mine there no problems.

I got the email too, tho I have an official chip and yes strange that they seem to want it all sorted beforehand, maybe its just to take pressure off at the expo?
  • Options

Hello

Thank guys for all your words of support... particulary agony uncle Stephen image

My partner and I talked at length on Sunday night and managed to work things out, so hopefully we'll be ok. I've now finished work and don't go back until 7th June...
    whooopeeee I'm on my holi-holi-days
    an I'm gonna run run run Comrades image

Thank you Master for the mantra,
    It's going to be strange though because we've all trained hard for the actual experience of running Comrades but at the same time we want to finish it as quickly as possible... eh? image

Stephen... I'll be getting my chip from the expo

Oh yeah... and I have a confession...

I raced last night
    but it was a club championship race, so I had to really
    and it was only 10k
    but I did push it
    got a PB!
    but only by 12 seconds image
    I finished in 41:26... 3rd Lady overall and 1st lady from my club... giving me lots of points towards the championship image

I promise I won't be running hard again before Comrades... just slow easy running for the rest of the taper... honest image

• Options

Stephen - chips available from Championchip at the expo

Trinity - image and no more racing pleaseimage

• Options

ok Trini... I promise... Guides honour

(although I was chucked out of the Girl Guides image )

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Neil - good advice, you can never say this enough - taper, taper, taper, taper...

Martin - glad to hear your injury is improving... I had the e-mail too - I'd just take the printout of the e-mail with you just in case...

Master - wise words...

Stephen - hope your 'lurgy clears up soon - it's not the volcanic ash is it? image

Trinity - holidays already! I'm jealous - I've still got another 5 1/2 days of toil... Congratulations on your PB - that's excellent!

I have a rather silly Comrades superstition - First time I came to run I forgot my razor and didn't have a shave during my trip. Ever since I don't shave in SA until I finish Comrades - a bit like Bjorn Borg at Wimbledon (for those of you old enough to remember him...)

• Options
    Wise words Master!!

Well my challenge has reduced from BA strike and Ash Clouds down to AshM BA stike deemed illegal image

• Options

Well seemingly everyones injuries are keeping at bay and other dramas are resolving - i keep getting these emails from my aunt in SA.  She has been running the comrades for many years and seemingly so have many of her running club buddies.  Anyway, here is some of todays email advice from her club....

The common cold, manifest by a congested nose, dry cough or sore throat is usually of no real concern. Be aware though: Marathon runners have a lower blood white cell count (the cells fundamental in fighting infection!) & are more predisposed to infections in general. Running when unwell usually delays/hinders recovery. Above symptoms, when combined with fever, muscle or joint aches imply possible flu. This cannot be ignored! There is always the possibility that flu can infect the heart muscle (viral myocarditis) & if one exercises with this condition, collapse & possible death may be precipitated. Rest until symptoms have abated completely. As a rule of thumb, you can monitor your resting heart rate – this should have normalized completely before recommencing exercise. Beware the unexplained fast heart rate!

Time is few. It is now definitely a case of too little is better than too much. Your training is done. Do not risk anything, all you can do is hurt yourself. If you do not run between now and Comrades, that is fine. It should be dawning on you that Comrades is now very close. To the novices, you do not know what you are letting yourself in for. For those who have done it before, Alzheimers is a blessing. Start your mental build up now. Anticipate feeling like quitting at 65km and how you are going to resolve that. Think of a few of the hills and that you are going to walk them. You have to be positive, a bit scared but also looking forward to the race.

No matter how many Comrades you have run, on the day, it does not help physically one little bit. There is no question that there is a mental advantage, if you have done it before, you can do it again. However, that is what makes the mental preparation so important. When you see someone with a Green Number on the Road, he has absolutely no physical advantage over you. If you can mentally equal him, there is no difference. My personal opinion is that probably 70% of the people who give up do so because their mind says so, not their body. Your mind is what makes you carry on, your body just does what your mind tells it to do.

And you wonder why I get myself into such states of panic?!!   
  • Options

Greetings Comrades

Aunt of Katiecom Seeker speaks wise words.

On the subject of quitting, before or during, some words by Gene Thibeault...

"The Quitter"
    When you're lost on the trail with the speed of a snail
    And defeat looks you straight in the eye
    And you're needing to sit, your whole being says quit
    You're certain it's your time to die.
    But the code of the trail is "move forward don't fail"
    Though your knees and ego are scarred.
    All the swelling and pain is just part of the game
    In the long run it's quitting that's hard!

"I'm sick of the pain!" Well, now, that's a shame
    But you're strong, you're healthy, and bright.
    So you've had a bad stretch and you're ready to retch,
    Shoulders back, move forward, and fight.
    It's the plugging away that will win you the day,
    Now don't be a loser my friend!
    So the goal isn't near, why advance to the rear.
    All struggles eventually end.

It's simple to cry that youre finished; and die.
    It's easy to whimper and whine.
    Move forward and fight, though there's no help in sight
    You'll soon cross the lost finish line.
    You'll come out of the black, with the wind at your back,
    As the clouds start to part; there's the sun.
    Then you'll know in your heart, as you did at the start.
    You're not a quitter. You've Won!!  

"Vincit qui patitur: he conquers, who endures"

• Options

Wonderful words as ever from The Master!!!

And after Katiecom's recounting of Comrades advice from SA, I'm now putting off the run I was planning tonight - the head cold and croaky chest is shifting soooo slowly and, while I'm anxious I haven't run in a week (yes, a whole week!), I know it's going to delay my recovery, which is being ridiculously snail-like right now anyway. So, back to bed tonight after work. Again. Grrr.

Hope it's not the volcanic ash that's scuppering my air vents, SD image 

Good news Trinity - sounds like things are on track, in every way!

How's the injury, Martin? Fingers crossed for ya.

I got an email from Comrades yesterday about a code for the ChampionChip I'd ordered, saying it'll be ready to collect with my race number etc. I don't remember ordering one as part of the sign-up but there you go. That's one little paranoid worry out of the way. Kinda.

Have a good day everyone. Sun is shining bright here in central London. Combine that with where my head is really at right now (errr, SA!) and it begs the question... How on earth am I expected to work at a time like this???

• Options

Wow... Katie.. thank you for posting those wise words from your Aunt, those along with what the Master posted has brought a huge lump to my throat *chokes back the emotion*

I am so looking forward to meeting you guys xx

• Options

Katie - wise words and I love the comment re Altzheimersimage

I have my own running Mantra from one of my running heros Dean Karnazes

Run when you can

Walk when you have to

Crawl if you must

But never, ever give up!

Likewise looking forward to meeting old and new friends alike. Was around 3pm at the Friday Expo the plan? Anyone else staying at the Royal? I had to swap from the Hilton as the extra night I wanted was fully booked. Got a good room at the Royal and they free upgraded me to a suite cos I'd stayed there before image

Happy tapering

• Options

Hi everyone
    I assume the plan is to meet at the Expo on Friday after the bus tour comes in, around 2pm if I remember correctly. Anybody going up to Pietermaritzburg afterwards? I am staying in Hillcrest and would appreciate a lift back if possible.

See you all there, and remember......................taper!!
    Doug

• Options

hello all

Very wise words. I so wish I had read them earlier. Ive been out for a run today which was just stupid, Knee and groin sarted hurting after 5 miles so got home asap. Managed to get into physio. Good news Runners knee Ice and NO RUNNING should be fine in 10 days. BUT now in a panic (And dont care a few tears) got to go to Doctor this afternoon. She thinks Im OK but wants 2nd view that I may hav a hernia. THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING

• Options

Go well one and all, I'm sad that I won't be there this year but it was the right decision for me.

Martin: here's hoping tou will be OK, if your not well then Comrades will still be there next year and the year after that.

Trinity: I ran a10K PB a week before Comrades last year and a absolutely stonking Comrades, augurs well!

Good luck folks

• Options
    Hey Martin, so sorry to hear that. Stay strong. There's still time.
  • Options

Martin I am sharing your anxiety - just got a phone call re: the blood tests i had taken last week.  Severe lack of haemoglobin - chronic levels that require immediate transfusion - luckily i work at the hospital so not far to go.  But my doctor says that running would put my heart under severe pressure and strain until i get it sorted.  They also need to do further gastro tests as my ESR marker was super high (meaning inflammation and poor liver function) - WHY IS THIS HAPPENING NOW??!!!!!!

I feel tired but not unwell, would be so tempting to ignore the doctor but i am also not stupid.  Will keep you updated... i wish my family werent all in different countries, i want my mum!! (im only 25, i can still say this without sounding ridiculous!)