Options

Which side of the road should I run?!

2»

Comments

• Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

I never said that deaf runners should be banned. Any more then blind runners or any other runner with a handicap. I was just saying that you reduce the risk of having an accident by not wearing an iPod.

People like you Muzzy have adjusted their behaviour because of their handicap and compensated by using other senses. Well done, but there is no need for sarcasm.

• Options

I really don't see what Tom has said to inflame anyone, particularly deaf people. 

As a deaf runner knowing my limitations, unless with a group of other runners who know my situation who can watch out and inform me regarding traffic I avoid pavementless roads because I perceive that me not hearing traffic poses a higher risk which I want to avoid.  I see this as the same risk as ipod wearers.  Yes being deaf I am more aware of my surroundings but there is only so much you can rely on.  Therefore my running routes outside relate to seaside promenades, trails, footpaths, anything with a pavement.

Regarding running on the pavement on the left and coming up to a LHS junction I would not necessarily rely on crossing it without visual even if I was a hearing person.  I cannot see why people would, far too risky.  If this means a bit of stop start at a junction then so be it, I would rather be in one piece. 

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭

FFS. Surely the best thing when out running is to take all reasonable precautions to ensure that you get back in one piece. I can't see any prejudice against deaf runners in the posts and I find it very sad that some are interpreting them as such.

Take care out there everyone and happy running. 

• Options

Tom - I do apologise. I didn't say that you were prejudiced, just that some running (and non running) folk are.

It wasn't even your comment that got me going, it was Mak's Friend answering my question to you with the exact answer I was expecting (the implication being "don't run if you can't hear" which gets me so wound up.)

It's a long, ongoing argument on these fora about people wearing Ipods/MP3 players for running. I just happen to believe that they are not as dangerous as some make them out to be (but then again I can't wear one for running.)

Sorry for the sarcasm, but as anyone who knows me will tell you, I'm a sarcastic person.image

Also, thank you for taking the time to post on the other thread. It was appreciated.

BTW. I actually did go out for a run.image

As FF said, take care out there everyone and happy running. 

• Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

I NEVER said don't run if you can't hear.

• Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Your are mis-representing what I wrote.
  • Options
    I've been running for many years so I can say this is what I do - and I use my own judgement, not the advice of anyone else . . . it's my life!
    Run on the left-hand side of the road, with the traffic coming up behind you.
    Never - and this should be obvious - run on the right-hand side of the road and into oncoming traffic, especially on right-hand bends. Approaching traffic will have to grind to a halt - and so will you. And constantly swapping sides of the road might also add to the hazards.
    You can hear traffic coming from behind you on country lanes (no headphones, obviously, cutting out one of your vital senses), and the drivers can see you.
    If on the right, running into a right-hand bend both you and the driver of any oncoming vehicle are blind to what is around the bend. If there is two-way traffic at the time you can imagine the various outcomes.
    I got a real shock once when driving around a left-hander on a country road to find two teenage girls walking towards me shoulder-to-shoulder. Fortunately I was not driving fast AND there was no vehicle coming on the other side of the road.
    Another time I had the misfortune to be a front-seat passenger in a car driven by a maniac, going too fast and without any thought of what was around the bend. Around the bend at speed and lo and behold there is a runner coming towards us. Hard braking, a swerve and a vehicle coming the other way but sufficient distance away. That could have been really bad!
    My tips are these: if on a country road which is really only wide enough to allow two passing vehicles, stay on the left, make sure you can hear approaching traffic, stay a little out from the verge just long enough to be seen, then move back in, know there is a vehicle behind BEFORE running into a left-hander and that you've been seen, once round the bend keep in and get away from it in timely fashion! :-)
    Oh! and any driver from behind who slows down because he can't get past you, acknowledge with a wave of thanks - not that he/she didn't run over you! :-) But you are saying "thanks for being careful and sorry for any inconvenience" - doesn't cost anything.
    Some drivers who use the route as often as you might get to know you and how polite you are!!
    Once, the driver of an empty bus stopped when I slowed to let him pass and offered me a lift! Must have thought I was really struggling!!
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    The following thread may be of interest:

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/346118/correct-cyclist-vs-runner-road-lane-behaviour/p1

Where's Colin McLaughlin when you need him?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    treerunner - the Highway Code is for pedestrians to walk/run facing oncoming traffic therefore on the right hand side of the road.    If there are sharp bends then I would proceed with care and if necessary cross to make that corner safe but then back to the right hand side ASAP.   I would be furious as a driver to see pedestrians on the wrong side of the road.

By facing the traffic you can see if oncoming traffic has acknowledged you, you can't do that if the traffic is approaching from behind.  Running on the left hand side is very dangerous.

I do most of my training on country roads and most of them fairly narrow.
  • Options
    The thread has got a little off topic.  But anyway run on the right  when by yourself and no footway unless a blind bend.   I think the running on the left bit comes from running races where its usually easier to marhsall runners on the left with the rest of the traffic as cars can slot into gaps when lots of runners are a long a road.  Most largish races which use open roads around here adopt that philosphy.   

Re ipods,   some races are allowing ipods with bone conduction headphones (almost type ear phones)  
  • Options
    When running on a rural road with no pavements, face oncoming traffic. If the road bends to the right, cross well before and run around the bend on the left and then cross back.

If running in a large group, run on the left as you are deemed a slow moving vehicle.

When running on pavements, run on the left. When you cross a side road, you look up and down the main road (you do this when running on the right too, so no difference). By running on the left, all side roads are on your left. Traffic emerging from the side road will be in the lane farthest from you and gives you the extra second to stop and slam into the side of any car instead of being across the bonnet. Otherwise, by running such that side roads are on your right, you have to more or less stop, especially if the its a blind corner.

And don't wear headphones, really don't.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dirk - great advice there, and I so agree re the headphones :D
  • Options
    I fully agree that one should run on the side of the road towards oncoming vehicles during daylight hours. But... I have just bought this harness thing that has a bright white light on the front and a bright red light on the back. I took it out for a spin this evening on narrowish country roads. After running towards traffic for the first four miles it occurred to me this might be dangerous, as cars might think I was a bicycle, and a bicycle would never go against traffic. So I switched sides and did the last four miles on the other side of the road. I still don't know which makes more sense/is safer.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Martin - cyclists are frequently hit by cars coming up behind them.  I think you should run on the side facing oncoming traffic, if you scare the cars then all the better for your safety.  
  • Options
    i try to run with oncoming traffic, would hate to be hit from behind!
  • Options
    Was always told pedestrians should be facing me on driving lessons
  • Options
    Facing traffic every time for me! Want to look my maker in the eye... Realistically, I would want to see if anything was happening and scarper!
  • Options
    espenhbespenhb ✭✭✭
    When on foot, face the traffic. When on wheels, roll with the traffic. That's what I've always been told, and always been doing.