Options

Sheffield social

Comments

• Options

Morning.

Tope effort Len and ET - not good weather last night/early morning image

Hope to get out at lunchtime if I'm lucky.

• Options

Congrats, Len.

I was wrapped up well, walking the dog at 6am this morning. Pleased that things scheduled for this evening meant I couldn't be tempted to cycle commute. Definitely felt like it'd dropped a few degrees.

• Options

Yeah, not the best weather. Just been outside playing cricket. That`s pretty much what we do every break and lunch-time with me bowling 80% of the time!

Question of the day - What is your favourite race and why?

(Baz said his was Sheff Half. No bikey, swimmy things unless you have to!)

• Options

Top job Len image

I ran my [rsecirebed 20 minutes yesterday (binned it Sunday as my legs were shagged after the TNT bike ride) - ran from Esporta (Mozzy minor has singing (term used loosley - though if CJ ever requires a backing singer to clear the venue, mini Moz is her girl) there) to the top Millhouses park car park - the wind was horrendous! Took me 12 mins to run there and 8 back! Salsaid not to pick it up above 8m/m, but it was impossible not to! The wind neary lifted me off my feet so I was 7 minute miling on the way back!!!

TNT bike on Sunday was fab! Matt palnned the route brilliantly so it was socialble and challenging too. Had a chance to ride with BB and have a chat for a bit, then a real chase up surprise view. Bun stop in Baslow, thenSal and I braved it and joined the fast lads for the second half of the ride. Thought we could peel off together if we needed to, but we were by no means the weakest riders - hooray!!! Luurrvving those rides! 52 miles in total, pooped when I got home a I never pyut that much effort in ususally image.

FAVOURITE RACE:

Gotta be the SWR. Can't beat a good relay in my opinion and running in pairs is great fun. Love that it's off road and the banter and spirit is top notch. Buffet and prize giving in the evening. What's not to like?!!!

• Options

ET - yup i've already entered the Stockport 10...very excited!

nice session Len...especially as the weather was crap!

i'm definitely going to go to a TNT ride when i'm back in november....they sound brilliant. i've befriended them on FB, so can check out what the schedule is. how did you feel after the run Mozzy?

hmm favourite race....i actually really enjoyed the 101010 last year...but i guess my favourite race ever was London Marathon this year. I've not done that many races compared to you guys, so i reckon i'll change my mind pretty soon.

Ran in one of my favourite places today....round the big lake in middle of Hamburg. 7 miles tempo....brilliant, despite the battering i took from the rain! it was torrential by the time i got back!

• Options

Fine thanks CJ! Bit twingey on the run but I've been assured that that's to be expected. Pilates and stretching when I got home and no ill effects at all today. Tempted to run again today, but even I'm not that stupid! Will run tomorrow and try for 25 mins - not a textbook build up, but I'm listening to me bod!!!

CJ is running round lakes in romantic cultural citys and us plebs are running along busy smog filled northern city streets. I missed my vocation. I'd have made a brilliant rock chic! Funk it - it's never too late. I can play the recorder if anyone fancies singing along??

• Options

5.5m in the bag - woo-hoo - and the best bit was being beeped by Haile while running along Hanover Way image

It was a run of 2 halfs - wet n windy on the way out and sunny coming back.

Sounds good Moz.

CJ - jealous, you'll be our most travelled runner.  We need photos of these great places you go running.

• Options

Sounds like a great ride Moz! Will have to try and get out on the TNT rides when I can. As for running on the smoggy city streets, you know what I'm gonna say... get out in them there hills! That said, I was on the road last night! image

Sounds like you're getting some cracking sessions in whilst you're away CJ image

Well done to Len, Dids and everyone else too, you're all fab! image

Good day yesterday, I was loving the stormy weather, got a short bike ride in with Ruth in the morning (before it got too windy) and then went out last night and got soaked through and blown all over the place on a quick tempo run but loved it!

Hmmm favourite race, great question ET and I'm struggling to come up with a diffinitive answer!

But a few contenders are the Lake District Mountain Trial for the challenge and the satisfaction on completion, the MMM's as I love the mental challenge and the opportunity to explore new terrain, plus at 3hrs they're not too long. Very tough to pick one fell race, I do tend to prefer the short fast ones though so perhaps something like Hathersage gala. Or Hope Wakes. Or Bamford. Mind you Edale's a cracker too and then there's Castleton and the Cake Race and Windgather and Criffel... Indecisive, me?! Never! I guess I just love running! image

• Options

Favourite race? Tough one.

Generally once they're done, they're done. I've got good memories of most. Even the bad ones I seem to pick a couple of good points out of and a challenge for if I do it again.

Can I said the one(s) I'd favour now are the ones I've not done? Ones that've piqued my interest but have always had some clash to keep me away?

Whaley Waltz is one thats had my attention for the last couple of years. I read a couple of reviews and saw a picture of the stream crossing ... looks like fun.

But if I had to pick one I've done. It'd probably be the short (15 mile) Belvoir Challenge. I know a lot who've done it, hate it. It's a Marmite race. It's muddy 99% off the time. If you're in the frame of mind to say "I'm going to get muddy and the quickest way past a puddle is through it" and can do it with a smile, you'll like it.

Just don't go for the full 26. 15 is fun, 26 is Hell....

• Options
    Bakewell pudding race was great too. Trail race (which I prefer to fell) 7 miles (I was dying after 6, it has to be said) and an 'up to your waist' river crossing - top! Oh! And a reet lovely bakwell pud and a hosing down afterwards. And I got a £5 voucher for second lady so well chuffed with that one all round!
  • Options
    Bamford and Hope Wakes fell races were both brilliant this year. Are there any good'uns in January/early February that anyone knows about?
  • Options
    CJ - Tigger Tor, usually at the end of January is a cracker. Starting from Totley Tigers RUFC and heading up Burbage Moor for a lovely 10mile jaunt, great way to kick start the year! image
  • Options
    Doh! I was just gonna say that!!!
  • Options
    Hmmm... Looks like Bakewell could be 'on' for next yearimage
  • Options

Favourite race?

erm..................Sheffield 1/2 marathon I think. I like the support you get on various parts of the course.  Can lift you so much in difficult times.

Well done everyone on getting out in the bad weather, CJ stop rubbing it in that we have to put up with industrial city and not pictuesque European locations. So jealous. 

Speed session for me tonight, Clay wheels 5x1k reps. Only 4 of us tonight, Me, Sal F, nick & helen. due to us all being within a few minutes 10k wise it was competitive at times. The other 3 tried to stay with me as long as posible and me kicking away with 200m to go. Good laff sometimes.  luckily the wind wasnt too bad and the rain was lighter than it has been today. 

Need to start putting the miles in again, Mojo missing at the moment, i am ticking over not training hard. Got to be careful as it is first SY XC in rotherham sunday.  looking forward to that.

• Options
    Evenin' all!
    Hasn't the weather changed?
    Been out on this years 1st night ride, with moz's pal cheryl, fabnight image
    And in other news Ewan exchanged on new house today, so we move in monday! image
  • Options

Evening image

Phew, never thought City were going to win a Champions League game.

Tiger Tor isn't great when you twist your ankle 1.5m into a 10m run image

• Options

Ooh! Top stuff on all counts Bex! imageimage

Busy day for me; wallpaper stripping (still), shopping, swimming, harvest festival (image) run, cake baking, pilates, foam rollering, stretching, perfecting my powerpoint presentation for tomorrow night. Actually, I've given up on that one, I've got some great slides but my presentation skills leave a lot to be desired image.

Have a top day everyone - wished I could get out on me bike today!

• Options

image - Moz, just get one of the mini Mozsters to do it, they are usually more clued up than us over 40's.

Bex - whats this 'we' moving in?  Or have I missed something?  Probably, nobody tells me owt image.  Or do you just mean that Ewan now has somewhere else to put his bikes and you have a 2nd home?

May try another lunchtime run again - prefer that to straight after work.  I'll see how it goes.

• Options

Morning...

Good news on the house move Bex image

Moz.....sounds a busy day.

I thought about going on the bike today but a new Smiley from my village has suggested a run, so am hopefully meeting her for a run from Burbage. Lotty's coming too.  Might go on the bike tomorrow, as it looks a similar day weather wise?

Just been watching Helicopter Hero's & seen Stanage, the surprise & Hathersage. Hope I never end up on there...or you Didds image  My brother was one of the firemen too image

• Options

Brilliant news on the house Bex image. Awww.... I do like a bit of romance and Happily Ever After!

I did another run/walk this morning. Cold, innit?? Might have to dig out something a bit warmer to wear soon! Brrr.

• Options

Af`noon!

Not a good night. Up from 3.30ish with coughing little uns. image Hope to squeeze a plod in later though.

BMB - Congrats!

Len - good work there!

GI - Top sprinting there! Do you race your reps then? We usually try to nail the pacing usually with 10k in mind and keep the intervals down. image

I`m reading `A little run around the world` by Rosie Swale Pope. Nice story. Anyone else read it?

Fave races - interesting answers. Still pondering on what mine is. Might be Lake Vyrnwy HM.

• Options

Yeah, read the RSP book, well 2/3rds.

I enjoyed what I read. Not sure what ran out of steam first, me or the narrative. It just got put down and never picked up again.

I got that "What I talk about, when I talk about running". Which I managed to finish. I see Murakami's feted as a new 'big' author and his new book (1Q84) is an instant hit. I'm tempted to give it a shot....

Think something might be wrong at the local baths. 3 lanes, fast, medium and slow. For the first 20 mins last night I was the only one in fast, the others had several in each. Even when I got 3 or 4 more in with me, I was the fastest in there.

I'm not saying I'm fast. I'm saying that with my swimming speed, I shouldn't be the fastest in there. I'm way down near the bottom of the SP time trial board....Or has Moz recruited a load of dolphins?

• Options

Garry - the lanes in public pools are a complete mystery to me! At Concord, people seem to totally ignore them, and plonk themselves in the lane with the least people in, regardless of speed. Which is how I happened to almost crash into a girl doing verrrrryyyyyy slow breast stroke in the medium lane. Sigh.

• Options
    The Egyptian Toe wrote (see)

GI - Top sprinting there! Do you race your reps then? We usually try to nail the pacing usually with 10k in mind and keep the intervals down. image

I would say that the reps should be run at 10k pace, or at least at a pace that you can sustain from the first to the last rep. Although inevitably in group sessions people do end up trying to keep up with or get away from each other. 
  • Options

Is it just me, or when you've been in the pool for a bit (IME knocking on an hour) you'll push off from the wall and you can feel the cramp starting to hit. Either on the sole of your foot on in your calf....image

• Options
    Not just you Garry, I get that sometimes, on the botoom of my foot, especially if I'm stretching too far to push off the wall. No idea what causes it but thankfully it's a short lived thing!
  • Options

ooh cheers mozzy and stu....reckon i'll have a go at Tigger Tor!

12miles for me today (destination not specified image)...can tell i've not been going long much recently...started to feel quite tired around mile 9...but i probably started off a bit fast...

excellent house news Bex! very exciting!

ooh you talking of swimming....reminds me, i should probably go! not swam for weeks! knew my swimming good intentions wouldn't last on tour....its just a pain in the arse...when i could just put my trainers on!

• Options

I've got unfinished busienss with Tigger Tor so I'll be there, but really need to reccie the Houndkirk section as that was quite confusing.

ET - fave race at the mo is Leg It Round Lathkill - it was just great fun, but ultimately i have a love/hate relationship with fell runs (especially long ones) I love them before and even during but for the 10-15 minutes after i have finished I hate them (Just cos of the general exhaustion).

Lovely bright and breezy Autumn day image

Got my 6m in at lunchtime today, but was a bit stressed as we had a bomb/fire drill immediately before lunch and then i lost my card to access my computer at work during the evacuation (someone handed it in - phew) - but as they say, they are in the bag now.