Options

IMCH 2009

Comments

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Actually, I've just realised - the 70.3 is only half!

I thought it didn't seem far enough for an Ironman!

• Options
    LOL... you having a blonde moment as well? image
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I looked at the posts which told me the 70.3 was the distances added up and just thought - yeah, that makes sense....  except I did wonder because I thought it didn't seem far enough, but put it down to me thinking about the distances in km or something!

d'oh!

Well, it's too damn' far for me to race, but I might well come and support!

• Options
    never say never, wilkie!  At 42 I said I'd never do an Oly never mind an IM. At 50 I completed my first IM.
  • Options
    If you wanna try on Orca wetsuits then the London Tri mag claims that there's a free Orca testing session at Heron Lake this weekend - contact Rick Kiddle or SBR Sports to find out more.... I'm especially saying this cos we went to the last Orca testing session and Orca didn't show up - but SBR did let us try on Blue Seventy wetsuits instead.
  • Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)

Well, it's too damn' far for me to race, but I might well come and support!

Wilkie, join us numpty virgins!!!  If you pay to go to support you may as well do it!!  image

I'm virtually starting my running from scratch, am vaguely ok on a bike and have only just learned to front-crawl...  I could do with some company at the back!  image

• Options

At least you have an excuse Nam. I'll be at the back too - but only because I'm scared of the pain that comes with going any faster imageimageimage

• Options

Waffy .. we are too much alike !!

• Options
    Bumped into a mate yesterday who's a Welsh pro cyclist who does 24 hour races and chatted with him about IM...  He said (which sounds like good advice) "Don't treat it like a race..."...  Thought about it yesterday...  If I take it nice and slow and try to stay as relaxed as possible...  I mean all I want to do is just not miss the cut offs... image
  • Options

Nam that's what I did at Bala - I know I could have gone faster if I'd pushed a bit more but all I wanted to do on the day was get to the end without dropping out. I took the run really steady and felt so good at the end it was almost embarrasing - but I loved the whole race and really enjoyed myself - so I must have been doing something right.

Meldy - at last I've found someone who understands!! image

• Options
    Whereas in both of my marathons I got to the end and just felt guilty for posting such slow times..... image
  • Options
    I guess knowing how far you can push each bit comes with more race experience and doing longer distances etc.  image  At least you were fresh as a daisy when you finished...  image
  • Options
    I'm genetically not built/made/designed/wired to race!!  I quite like the method/theory of just getting from the start to the finish!!  Find the cut offs a bit stressful as it does put the pressure on a bit but then if they weren't there I'd barely move at all!! image
  • Options

It took me a week to come down from that high! image

I'm back to normal now though. imageimageimageimage............. image

• Options
    and you're STILL on your training talk ban waffy!! image
  • Options
    Emmi - I know what you mean - it's amazing what happens under pressure!
  • Options

oops - xpost - yes no training since bala. off on hols tomorrow for a week and then i'll probably crack.

loafing around in bed until 7 every morning has been bliss though!

• Options
    I'd really rearly love to do IMCH and give it my best shot but I know I'll be in tears from 10 miles into the run... if not before...  image
  • Options
    But the feeling you get from finishing one of these things will last with you for ever!
  • Options
    GOM I was sooooo happy after finishing my first sprint, that feeling x100 must be amazing!!  What an achievement...!!  imageimage
  • Options
    Nam - I think CH is a loop the loop course which means lots of support and encouragement along the way. Also good opportunities for running together for part of the course - even if one person is on mile 8 and the other is about to finish the marathon. it's going to be brilliant. and yes, there will be tears!
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Nam - take the ironman mantra on board when thinking of doing your 1st IM

"Pain is temporary, pride lasts forever"

nuff said
  • Options
    Pebble 2Pebble 2 ✭✭✭
    You have to accept that during the course of the day there will be low points and some even lower points, but if are prepared and ready for these then you can get through them. There will be low points trust me I'm a doctor.
  • Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    "Pain is temporary, pride lasts forever"
    I like that! image
  • Options
    emmi - having seen your times at Cheshire tri the other week I think you have no problems with cutoff times, you may have more problems deciding wether to go to the presentation to see how many Kona places are availableimage
  • Options
    Do we need a lift?  Or will there be an escalator image
  • Options

Mr Sluggie got a book of those mantra things one Christmas from a well-meaning pal. Unfortunately he's a bit of a p***-taker. He came up with a naughty list of his own e.g.

'Pain hurts'

'Stopping is nice' 

'Why run when you can walk' 

They have a tendency to pop into my brain when I should be thinking something more inspirationalimage

However, I do like the Lance Armstrong variant on the above, 'Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever' 

• Options
    GertieGertie ✭✭✭
    The last line of the instructions for the original Ironman in 1978 was "Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles, brag for the rest of your life."
  • Options

Now Gertie I do like that one image

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Boing 

(V) = Ironman Virgin

DOING
    Barley
    Bedders (V)
    Calf
    Crashie
    emmilou
    Ferret
    Gertie (Tri Virgin, please be gentle with me)
    Gyraffe (V)

Happychap (V)
    Hope (V)
    Iron Swissbobby
    Jonsi (V)
    MarkF (V)
    mellifera
    Nam (oh shiiiiiiiit!!!!) (V)
    Podro
    PSC (V)
    Rio (V)
    SyM.es

Toucs (V)
    JPenno (V)
    Slummo
    BendyJ

DITHERING (till after IMF, pay day, leave pass etc)
    Kanga
    Meldy
    Foggy, but will be going on to DOING list after an appropriate amount of dithering
    Holly_Golightly
    kittenkat (yes I know what I said repeatedly, but I'm obsessed (in a good way).. and no, don't mention it to Mr kk
    Dark Vader (need to discuss with Classicaldiva first)
    Hollywood (I've never done an IM without Squishy - need her to sign up first)
    NWO ( need to check the cost and clear it with the missus! )
    Squishy (I'm sure she'll do it if Hollywood is depending on her image
    IW (IF I can get permission)
    Silent Assassin (if funds permit) (V)- Must enter and do some training with JPenno
    Barry K - funds permitting as the first step.
    Sluggie (dithering virgin)

GOING BUT DOING THE OLYMPIC DISTANCE
    Garr (Hopefully! Should be able to get away with not training for this one!!)
    LJS (if I can persuade him to go)
    oxy- (will this be the best supported pirate race ever? Just cause i want to race Garr, it can be an undertrained/campness ultimate face off!)

NEVER DOING AN IRONMAN EVER (I think this is the same as dithering)
    Shiraz (V)

SUPPORTING
    LE - Possibly maybe, also looking at doing the Oly tri the day before, unless I do Bala on July 14 2009...
    Mr emmi and mini emmi Pirates (maybe 2, maybe 3?)
    Mrs Podro and the Podlets
    Mrs Silent Assassin & mini Assassin

Happychap and Toucs to the list - sooooooooo excited!  Whooohooo