Options

2009 Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options

Cool news Hipps!!

I normally aim to do my long runs Saturday - but am happy to have a pop a couple of times during April.. could do with doing a 16-18miles of the course in April too

Pace wise I dont worry about it on training runs so anything between 11-12 would be great for me.. I'd rather go slow than faster anyhow

I'll go and look at training plan and post up some dates suggestions and we'll see - if we can that'd be great

• Options
    Tracey G wrote (see)
    What is the cut of time for the marathon?
    We advise runners that we have a 5 hour cut-off time for the marathon. That does not mean that we pull you off the course at 5 hours. It actually means that we give our marshals the option to leave their posts after 5 hours because our volunteers have a very long day. All water stations, medical facilities and race HQ stay in place until the last runner finishes. Last year that was over 6 hours.
  • Options
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Hi PH..

Training now in full tilt and going well,

Accom booked too at a travel lodge (Stansted I think).

Take care

• Options

Thinking about entering but concerned about having to drive 2+ hours to get there on morning of race...

Looks like a quality field!

• Options

this could be a special one for me

anyway, i am glad to be doing it -I wil NOT be seduced by a 12 hour track race this year

x

• Options
    It's a nice race for it to be a special one Hipps!
  • Options

Kazz, is you stalkin me?

;)

• Options
    See you ladys there.
  • Options

ladies??????????

WHERE?????????

LOL

• Options

Haha!

I got a high five while out running this morning from a couple who looked like they had just fallen out of a club at 8am!

• Options

I am a layddeee so you will at least see one there - lol!!

Ok, that's Brass Monkey half done - not great time wise but I ran it all - slow and steady - was quite gutted about the time but at least it means I can now rest assured half's in the bag and so I have that mileage to build from 

• Options
    Mmm just got a last minute club place for london so am doing both. Do I go for a fast london and use Halstead as a recovery and enjoy the scenery and atmosphere OR do I treat london as a long training run and go for it at Halstead? Decisions decisions. Anyone any advice?
  • Options
    TheraThera ✭✭✭

I am also a laydeeee.......see you there!

Forreasonsunknown - well done on finishing your race.

ORB - that's a tough one!

• Options

Orb, I usualy do both and its a weird one to call, the first year I got a sub 3 at London and then went a minute quicker at Halstead, last year I got 2.55 at London and ran Halstead (with an injury) in a personal worse time!  This year i'm only running Halstead though.

I think its a case of see how you feel on the day.

• Options

I am an (old) laddie! 

I am now entered for my fifteenth "Halstead" and looking forward to it. Unlike you new (very fast) kids on the block I need to have intermediate goals to keep me going.  I have just found a cheap flight to Valencia from Stansted next month, so I'm off there for the marathon on 22 February. There is a five hour cut off in Valencia so I'm going to have to step up my pace!  I will try to do a long one (half marathon distance, maybe ) today.   Oh no, it's raining...... maybe tomorrow!

• Options
    TheraThera ✭✭✭

Peter - that sounds like a fantastic location to be running. Hopefully the weather will be lovely on the day. I managed to get my run done today, but on the treadmill as it is awful outside.

• Options

Hi Thera

A treadmill. Now that's what I need. I used to go out in all weathers but now I'm a bit more selective! The Spanish weather should be pleasant (60 degrees, maybe?) My Club is off this weekend for its annual trip to Benidorm ... but there is only the Half there now. Valencia is just a little way up the Mediterranean coast and maybe a little more cultured? I don't know,  I've never been there.  But I do like Spanish wine , so that may impede progress!

• Options
    Stet - what training do you do in the three weeks between marathons?
  • Options
    ORB  I don't understand! Training? I used to run 20 odd marathons a year and consequently didn't have time to do much in between. Now I run considerably fewer marathons but have not yet learned to do anything between runs!  Maybe that's why my 3:20 times are now 5 hours plus. But I am now 20 years older than when I first started running and have a bus pass for company. Also, perhaps I am not as enthusiastic as I once was. I now spend more time at the computer chatting about running as I do actrually running!
  • Options
    TheraThera ✭✭✭

How many marathons?????? I don't know why I worry about just doing the one...image

• Options

The fewer you do the more you appreciate them. I've reached the point (200+ under my belt) where I treat marathons like a stamp collection. I like doing different ones!  But I do little to improve performance! The cut off time is now the incentive to improve. Sad, isn't it?!

• Options
    Actually I don't think it is sad at all - good for you image sounds like a good way of seeing places to me - what has been the most interesting one?
  • Options

Hi ORB I'm having computer problems. I typed a whole paragraph then lost it - a bit like my running!

My favourite marathon was the old Potteries. No elite runners but lots of talent. The most enthusiastic and sustained support ever and a finish in Trentham Gardens , an exquisite and exotic oasis in the Potteries desert. The plates that finishers received are real collectors' items.

The old Cornish Marathon, that started with a serious four mile uphill from Rilla Mill, followed by a tour of sodden, and invariably rainswept, Bodmin Moor, icy cold water at the station opposite Jamaica Inn. Then there was the howling wind down the Drayne Valley. Having experienced all this, it gave a real sense of achievement to come across the Finish Line... and the post run Cornish pasty was memorable.

For scenery it is hard to beat Tresco in the Scillies, even after completing 7.5 circuits of the island, or the Hebridean Marathons last year which, hopefully, will be repeated at some stage.  Most difficult; probably Great Langdale that goes up and down. At least there are long periods of respite in Snowdon!

Internationally, the Big City Marathons tend to dominate. My favourites are Rome where you pass all the magnificent sights ,and Budapest - up and down the Danube, always within sight of the impressive Parliament building and over the bridges.  Surprisingly, not Prague. Though Prague is a beautiful, historic and interesting city and well worth visiting, I found the marathon course boring. Far better to do the 10Km. which goes through the city and over Charles Bridge as the marathon also does. But the rest of the marathon course is an out and back along a motorway alongside the River Vltava. At least I think the River is there. You can't see it for trees.

But my favourite marathons are the San Antonio Marathon in Padua in Italy and the Wachau Marathon in Austria.. In the San Antonio you are bussed out and return to Padua tracing the route taken by St Anthony . The Finish is in the biggest square (oval shaped!) in Europe. But the weather was even hotter than last year's Halstead! The whole event is topped off with a televised (pop!) music event in the "square" in the evening of the run. A very well organised event and very Brit friendly. The Wachau is another run along the banks of the Danube, through vineyards and orchards. Wunderbar.

Ah, nostalgia. That's enough or I'll get banned fro the Forum for filling up all available space!  I bet, ORB, you wish you hadn't asked!

• Options

Orb, I have a very active job, lots of time on my feet and sometimes quite heavy lifting so usually I have a day off work, (maybe a relaxing swim) then back to it on Tuesaday. The Friday after London I'd run 3 - 5 miles easy, Saturday off and Sunday 10 - 12 miles if the legs feel ok then like a usual taper to the day of the Halstead marathon.

PB8, 200+ marathons is amazing, I'm yet to do one outside this country but San Antonio sounds good!

• Options
    I am still fighting of the effects of a bug that started mid December but training is on schedule but with pace 10% down
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

PB8 - thats a great post about the maras.... would love to do an international one one day, only at 10 mars preseantly, but the wife is not keen to go somewhere when I am running..... so will have to wait till the club do something so can go away with them

Trg is ging well, and all is looking good.

Take care all

• Options

Just catching up with the thread.. will have a big read back later!

I heard this marathon is undulating - does anyone know if it is all the way or is it in manageable chunks - I am giong to do most of my training now round Woodbridge as it's the hilliest place I can find (I am also trying to keep hills very much in my training as I want to do some fell runs again later in the year).

Be good to have an opinion

I did a 13.5training run at the weekend, really enjoyed it - although I was shattered yesterday - think that's still the after effects of flu!  I am going on a business trip to Far East 6th Feb so it cuts a two week hole ino training - I will be able to do 4-5 milers when I am away but not anything above that - so am going to aim to bring forwards a 16 this weekend - so's I get the confidence bck into me.. I always did love the long long runs