Options

2009 Halstead & Essex Marathon

1272829303133»

Comments

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Thanks UltraFlynn, I note the results no longer need a password.

I am also amazed by your ability to absorb fluid -- 3.5 litres (over your 30M not 26.2 of course) is incredible! I put on a pretty poor show of getting water from the cups into my mouth instead of up my nose and down my front, much to the amusement of some of the helpers, so I guess I would have had 100 ml tops at each of the ?10 or so water stations. I did start with about 200 ml of sports gloop in a bottle I jettisoned at the first one too. But I did show, err, evidence of rehydration only 2 hours after the event, having drunk about 1.5 litres afterwards. I'm quite small and weedy though, so each litre is a reasonable percentage of my mass.

ChrisThePuma -- terribly bad luck. I wonder if you were actually suffering more from heat exhaustion? I.e. body temperature getting too high due to prodigious power output (and lack of recent warm-weather training to encourage sweat response?). Anyway, hope the next one gives you the good result you were on track for.

• Options

It was a pleasure running with you mate. Always great to find someone with the same pace to chat to.

I kept the same pace throughout really but it was hurting a bit towards the end. I kept telling myself that I cannot get to the end of 30 miles and feel terrible. The next race is over 50 miles so I'd better not struggle with 30. image

I was hoping you'd keep up, it would have been nice to stage a sprint finish. No point running all that way to cross the line together. image Better make a short race of it.

My prediction of 4 hours 12 minutes was out by a quarter of an hour but I'm happy with that.

I've learnt some lessons from Sunday's race though:

1. Always apply sun cream to every possible area that might get some sun. I missed the top of my chest and that burnt.
    2. My new Thorlos socks don't work for me. I'm going back to the Wrightsock double-layer one's. I got 2 huge blisters on my big toes in exactly the same place. Never used to get them until I switched to Thorlos.
    Glad you liked the t-shirt.
  • Options
    CharlieW wrote (see)

Thanks UltraFlynn, I note the results no longer need a password.

I am also amazed by your ability to absorb fluid -- 3.5 litres (over your 30M not 26.2 of course) is incredible! I put on a pretty poor show of getting water from the cups into my mouth instead of up my nose and down my front, much to the amusement of some of the helpers, so I guess I would have had 100 ml tops at each of the ?10 or so water stations. I did start with about 200 ml of sports gloop in a bottle I jettisoned at the first one too. But I did show, err, evidence of rehydration only 2 hours after the event, having drunk about 1.5 litres afterwards. I'm quite small and weedy though, so each litre is a reasonable percentage of my mass.

I changed the results last night. No problems at all.

I carry a Camelbak so I know exactly how much liquid I take on. I always use Nuun, which I think is great stuff. I know that I use about 750ml of liquid per hour when it's hot so I knew that I needed to drain my 2 litre water bladder and get it filled again. I did that after 17 miles. Running ultras has taught me the value of proper hydration and nutrition. I simply couldn't run the far without getting it right.

• Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

UF how the hell do you mange to drink that much? i can just about force down a 500ml bottle every 12 miles or so and by 15/16 miles ive had enough of it.

• Options

Going to try the Nuun - looked at their website and it looks worth a go - maybe it will help my calf cramping problem.

I agree with the need for good hydration - if I am running (relatively) hard I find I don't concentrate enough on fluid intake and suffer for it. On sunday I walked thru every water station to fill my small (400ml) water bottle (it's a gel bottle really) and also made sure I got at least a cupful to drink there and then.

• Options

eastham75: Hydration is so important. Nuun tastes really nice and that makes it easy to take regular sips. At no point did I force anything down. You also have to remember that your stomach absorbs liquid much quicker when it isn't trying to digest carbs. So I try and keep nutrition and hydration very seperate.

I wouldn't drink plain water. Large quantities of water is very dangerous.

• Options

EH75 bet you drink beer in larger quantities!

• Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    KH yes funny how beer does not pose the same problem.
  • Options

Hi gang... hope everyones feeling great today and any niggles settling down?

I'm still trying to do some reflection - mine wasnt a great time nor was it the way I would like to complete a marathon but actually it will be one of my most influential marathons as I just learnt so much through the trainng and the day itself.

Because I couldnt run every step and ran/power walked from 15.5miles my recovery has been great - have felt very jaded and have been a total insomniac but apart from that have felt great so have been out running already.  

I've left Halstead with alot of idea's and plans for improvement and I would love to have a go at it again next year and may be in a position to consider (but SHhhhh because I wont do it if my fitness doesnt come on in bounds over this year) the Ultra - so it's really amazing to read your comments and add those to my things to mull over in my training runs from here on in

Still think the support through this race was just great and the course also is worth praising because it didnt feel like you were doing loops.. well it didnt to me anyhow.

Triffic!!

YEY!

• Options

Just out of interest, Flynn - do you know if sparkling mineral water is equally hydrating as plain water, or if the carbonating process does something to make it otherwise?

Not that I was drinking it round the course on Sunday! image

• Options

Tracey

I don't know what happened to the email I sent using the RW link. At the risk of inviting the world and their dogs to pester me , here is my email address -  /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif[/img]eter.burns20@btinternet.com]peter.burns20@btinternet.com   Please don't give this to anyone else!!!!  (Keep it to yourself!)

I am so pleased that everyone seems to have enjoyed this event.   I am more than a little biased as it is the closest marathon to home for me but, from the very outset, the Halstead Club have done their best to apply runners' experience to the organisation and they have built their event gradually and sensibly...... a magnificent achievement for a small club in a relatively rural location. They must all feel immensely proud and rightly so. Am i the only person to remember running it in the rain?

• Options

I remember helping at a water station in the rain - It was chucking it down!

I have never been so wet and cold ! image

• Options

It was very wet at the end of the 2007 race.

• Options
    winklewinkle ✭✭✭

Hey Pete, I can vouch for that. My very small puppy nearly drowned that year whilst I was officiating at the finish line but the number of dehydrated runners was almost nil.

You are correct about the small club thing - we have only approx 90 members!! 85% of which helped on the Marathon day!

• Options

I enjoyed immensely

I have odd views on hydratuion, so wont comment

top event though

• Options
    winklewinkle ✭✭✭

Hi PH, I'm sure I met you on Sunday. I've certainly conversed with you on this forum.....would be nice to put a name to your pseudonym. I probably shouted you across the line on Sunday - I was 'Information desk' woman. A bit hard to tell from your profile piccie!

• Options

Winkle

Plooding Hippo alias RB finished just after me on Sunday......... and good luck to her for her 100th Marathon coming up at Windymere! What happened to all that Essex sunshine?   It's horrible here and STORMS forecast!

• Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
  • Options

wild@heart: Sparkling water is probably just as good but I wouldn't use it as it would make you burp non-stop.

• Options

I still swear by flat coke.... (purely on the basis that my pb was run using flat coke - nothing to do with proper training etc...image

Am also toying with cold baths (waist down with protection to my vitals) - anyone any experience of this for recovery?  I know there are other threads but threads for races like Halstead (Abingdon) etc seem to attract a more discerning runner.  I tried standing in a cold shower whilst stretching my hamstrings and calves - this introduced to me a new form of challenge in terms of self control (didn't want to worry the family with my screams and bad language)

• Options
    TheraThera ✭✭✭

Blimey!!image Cold baths and cold showers...I have heard a cold bath helps for muscle soreness. The advise is to sit in the bath while you run the tap (to get used to the temperature - will help with screaming etc image). I briefly thought about doing it and then quickly dismissed it as it just sounded to horrible and frightening....image

I walked around for about 5-10 mins after the marathon and then put my feet up for a couple of hours afterwards. Then a sports massage on Tuesday....lovely! I still feel a little tender today, but getting eager to go out for a run again.

Good luck with your decision on the cold bath!!

• Options

Thera - I kept walking too after the marathon, and I think that it really helps.

I feel just great after Sunday - my training didn't help my speed round the course, but I think it did help my recovery. image