Options

Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    Starkiller - Kia Ora? British for Orange juice, surely??? image

Yeah its that too, http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/ourbrands/default.aspx?ID=50

Next you will be saying kiwifruit are really Chinese Gooseberry renamed by clever marketingimage

and dont start on the pavlova ..... image

• Options
    I also nominat Farnie - but she must run in briefs so that she can have a brief running history
  • Options

noooooooo you have no idea what you are suggesting image

I have white patches on the back of my legs from my bingo wings on my bottom!!!

• Options

Damn I forgot my disguise .....

grrrr

*shakes fist*

• Options
    Farnie - i have seen LBs pic of you at Wilmslow image
  • Options

name  gemma james

running history been running on and off for past 2-3 years, quite a seasonal runner. done about 15 races including race for life, great mancherster run, and a few in blackpool also did the great north run last year in a time of 2:21 and loved it that much that am now a great run member and have secured my place in the run for the next 3 years image)

why you should choose me because i would love to be better at running, get the motivation l lack and inspire others:- if i can do it anyone can

goal under 2 hours

• Options

Been running since 2003.Started racing with local running club in 2004,Pembrokeshire Harriers.My,they're a friendly bunch.I've entered races ranging from 5km up to Marathon distance.Completed three half marathons ,two of which were hilly halfs.Best finish time 1hr 54 minutes.Raised £1300 for Pembrokeshire Cancer Support Group this year by running London Marathon.Brilliant day!

I would love to be chosen for this event as once I set myself a running goal,I stick to it and will fit in any training schedule put in front of me.I am the woman for the job

Goal time would be to get under 1hr 50 minutes

• Options

Name: Clint

Running history: I've been doing it since I could. Competitive distance running consists of one 10k last Summer which was good. I'm entered for the same one this Summer and this afternoon agreed to two other 10k runs in the coming fortnight.

Why you should choose me: Hmmm, I could do with a new digital camera image I've always actually fancied the idea of the Great North Run but doubt I'd have the drive to otherwise put the training in to make it worthwhile. With the coaching etc I would give it my all (as it deserves) and then confidently achieve a goal of under 2 hours.

Please image

• Options
    Name: Vicki Thompson

Started running in 2002 to use exercise as a means of beating Depression, which I have suffered on and off since I was 15. I couldn't run for a minute when I first started, but worked my way up to running 2 hours straight. I ran the Flora London Marathon in 2004, and have since used my running to raise funds for different charities where people are less fortunate than myself. I have my fitness and my health and want to use it to both benefit those in need, and to motivate those who think that they can't do things like this.

My job is all about encouraging those who want to get fit to live their dreams, and by showing them that if I can do it - so can they.

My dream is to trim my current marathon PB down by over two hours in order to qualify for the Boston Marathon by the time I am 35, and I feel that the Great North Run is a stepping stone on the path to achieving this.

I feel that, should I be fortunate enough to be selected for this opportunity, I can take the knowledge that I will be given and use it to benefit the many people I come into contact with who want to get the most out of their sport.

My goal is to knock 40 minutes off my current half-marathon time of 2:45:36.
  • Options
    Tracy Turner

August 2007: I started treadmill running for weight loss;
    December: I had enough confidence to run outside;
    Today: I am fitter and healthier than at any other time in my life. My motivation for running has changed.

June: My 1st 10K race. Among 124 female finishers, I achieved 85th place. I wasn’t one of the 76 ladies who broke the hour but I beat 29 men. There is something to learn from every running experience: I believe I have the potential to run further.

The thought of running 13 miles scares me to death, it's way beyond my comfort zone and I'm afraid of failing. On the other hand, imagine doing something you know is making you stronger, in lots of ways - self discipline, focus, self belief and the confidence that comes with achieving something you never dreamed you would?

I'm under no illusion that the next 3 months will be easy, but I have come a long way since that first mile. I must strive to improve fitness, strength, stability, endurance, stay focused and injury free, maintain high self-belief and motivation, however tough it gets.

I am not the best, fittest or fastest, but I am inspired by those I can learn from. Determination I have, the right kind of support, I need. With help, I will achieve the greatest challenge of my life so far and maybe even inspire others along the way.

My half marathon goal? Simple - to be the best I can be.
  • Options

Name: Johnny Blaze

Brief running history: Well, I have done the GNR a few times already, heaving my wobbling heiney along the seafront to the collective indifference of many of the spectators.

But it wasn't their fault - when someone is coming in 24,317th the excitement is somewhat less intense when compared to, say cheering on Paula (blessed is she amongst women) - laryngitis or severe hoarseness could ensue. Scattered applause and a faint nod of approbation is all I am looking for.

My pb for a half is 1:51:02 and so my main ambitions are:

1 Ditch that pesky "02"

2 Go sub 1:50

3 High five many cheery Geordies as I shuffle unbecomingly through the North East

Reason why we should train you: Well, really because I am old, fat and mentally challenged. Too stupid to quit. basically, despite limbs that shriek out for mercy.

I feel I could be an inspiration to many similarly afflicted shambling old gits out there in plod land.

On the other hand they may turn a page,switch the channel or go back to their knitting.

One can but try, although as Master Yoda says, "there is no try there is only do", or something like that.

Yup that's my inspiration, a 500 year old piece of green foam rubber with poor syntax.

Half-marathon goal: I already said that. Pay attention at the back or I'll start chucking the board rubber about.

• Options
    ps: I nominate Farnie - she told me she is gagging to be picked so please don't disappoint her.
  • Options
    I'd like to support vixx76 because she's given me lots of support and guidance in the build up to my first marathon plus she started the best thread on RW and finally because she makes great chunky monkey smoothies.
  • Options

Linda Hayes.

After a break of several years due to a recurring knee injury, I summoned up the courage to venture out on a short round route of 2 1/2 miles. That was 4 years ago and it was the most exhausting excercise I'd attempted for a long time - the gym is no preparation for the open road!

I thought that it was going to be impossible for me at my great age at the time (44) to get back to the fitness of previous years but I was determined to improve and to take part in a charity race my sister-in-law had put up as a challenge. I had forgotten the excitement and achievement I felt after completing my first 5k and decided to apply for more races - I was hooked. It was at one of these races the following year that I won my first catagory +V45 and was encouraged by a fellow competitor to join a local running club. The inspiration I have gained from running with like minded athletes and the sheer enjoyment I get from taking part and achieving my induvidual goals has given me a whole new lease of life. This year has proved to be my best yet and I am consistently smashing all my previous PB's by minutes, not seconds, and have gained UK Athletics rankings. I would relish the opportunity to maximise my training and dedicated enough to achieve a sub 95 or less.

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    <sets up a large "Vote Farnie" banner across the thread and starts handing out leaflets>
  • Options
    I'll have one. Ta.
  • Options
    Perhaps we could get Robert Mugabe to run Farnie's campaign? Guaranteed to get a 95% majority.
  • Options
    Stop sending me reply response emails I have tried to disable this several times and it is not working!
  • Options

I'm Katherine, a 34 year old runner. I've completed 2 london marathons and dozens of half marathons for charity. I have been plagued by health problems for  several years and have found running to be extremely therapeutic and helpful during tough times. It has helped enabled me to remain positive and not succome to depression. 2years ago, i underwent hospital treatment for the removal of pre -cancerous cells, followed by several operations for further investigative surgery. Emotionally it has been very trying ho wever running was my 'me time' a time to channel out negativity and look at the bigger picture of life. At races i realise how fortunate i am as there are many people far worsely affected by health problems than me, it humbles you and you become aware of the true power of the human spirit in overcoming adversity

• Options
    i would like to second rosalyn and cc2 from the gnr thread,both of whom contribute with encouraging and generous post to everyone,from whippets to walkers.good luck you both deserve to be chosen.
  • Options
    In addition to seconding CC2, I'd like to second Vixx76 too. 'Cos she's always supportive & encouraging and is working so hard right now she deserves something nice.
  • Options

Catherine Singfield

I was a working mum heading for forty

Confirmed couch potato, very naughty

My friend at work entered the women’s 5K

I decided to join her, started training last May

We ran the race and raised loads of money

I’d got the bug – my family thought it was funny

So, what next? Training waned when it got cold

Needed a new challenge, go for something bold

Running 10K in London a week today

But training’s been hard as my friend’s moved away

And then what after that – what’ll be my next goal?

Perhaps a half marathon in the land of the coal!

Now my pal’s gone, I need more inspiration

Some proper training to keep motivation

I want to run the whole distance, have fun, help charity

So please pick me even though it still seems like insanity!

• Options

I second CC2 - Speedy Goth if this has not already been done!image

• Options

Name: Andrew Moody, Leeds, 36.

Brief running history: Never ran, ever, then gave up smoking before my son was born, 2005, therefore decided I needed to match that and do something else 'big' before my daughter Hepsy was born in 2007 so in Jan 2007 at 17 stone, went to Weightwatchers and started running. Ran first 10k last April in 50:20, progression since then mixed, ran 8 x 10km now with a PB of 47:03 off the back of one Saturday morning (7mile) run a week. (I'm now just under 13 stone).

Reason why we should train you: Not sure you should or could, but as I'm already entered for the GNR I figure I need some help from somewhere getting my weekly mileage to something that would count as adequate preparation. Could really use the hotel room so whole family can come up and then we can enter my 3 year old son in the mini run on the Saturday too (without the room I'm coming up on my own on the Sunday). Finally as a student in Newcastle in the early 90's we used to stand and watch all those people and ask what sort of pillock would run all the way to South Shields. Now I know,apparently I am that pillock.

Half-marathon goal: I'm hoping to do my first half marathon 4 weeks earlier at the Leeds Half Marathon on Sept 7th, the thinking being that if I prove to myself I can do the distance I'll get a chance to enjoy the event of the Great North Run itself, rather than worrying about both.  Oh I'm also running the event to raise money for NACC, as both my mother and mother-in-law have Crohn's Diesease, but I've got my own place through the ballot, not one of their charity places.

• Options

*ties JB's shoe laces together and pushes him over*

ha haaha ahhaa

Pick JB!!!!  PICK JB.....

• Options

Hi, my name is Cara, I am 31 and the only race I have ever competed in was the egg and spoon race in primary school (I came 2nd though)....image

Brief running history:  This will be brief too, as I haven't been 'running' for very long at all!  As is for most people, my running ceased 15 years ago when I left high school.  It wasn't until last year I decided to buy a decent pair of running shoes and see if I could manage a trip around 'the block'.  I did it and continued to do it on and off for a couple of months, and then, nothing!  If i'm honest, my reason to start running again this year was brought on by being a spectator at a Triathlon.   It was such an ispiration that I then that I realised what I was missing out on.  Such an emotional experience seeing all these people acheive their goal that I decided that if it felt 'that' good to spectate then to actually cross the finish line must be an overwhelming surge of emotion and a real sense of achievement.  Not being a strong swimmer, I thought the Triathlon a little way off yet, so 2 weeks ago, I deceided to enter the Great North Run, only to realise I had left it too late! Not to be put off, I entered the Anglesey 10k and have been training since then and have already seen huge improvements in my fitness. 

Reason why we should train you: I want to one of those thousands of people experiencing the atmosphere of GNR, I want to know how it feels to cross the finish line knowing that all the effort, determination, blood, sweat and tears was all worth while.  And I would like to share this experience with as many people as possible, with coverage from RW I would like to prove to all other 'newbies' that it really is possible to do what we read about.  I will need all the traing help and advice I can get as I am no athlete but I'm prepared to put in all the hard-work required.  I would love your help to inspire others to get out there and enjoy it!

Half-marathon goal: To enjoy the day, run the best I can and cross the finish line in floods of tears and a huge smile on my face!

• Options
    I'd like to nominate Joggerblogger as he's a top bloke.  And he bought me a pizza once.
  • Options

James 27 have only ever run two races both 10k's of which got times of 33:30 mins which was for a local breast cancer charity and 35:30, respectively.

Brief history: Was forced to run cross country in school, after school i didnt do much but play football. Nowadays I run two or three times a week, sometimes with a local club (not much). 

I firmly belive with the right package I could develop into a decent runner. i was surpriised with my times i did in the races and this proved to me i have the mental capacity and I have "a runners build", according to everyone. i dont drink and eat as well as my budget allows!

i am a hard working individual who puts 100% into everything and i know i would make an exxcellent candidate for the package.

My goal for a half marathon is under 1 hour 18, or under 6 minute miles all the way round.

• Options

name - Anthony Brennan

Running History - Didn't really do much running (or any exercise) before 1999. Started running and found it impossible but persevered and managed to reach a plateau of 30 mins running for a few years. Ultimately decided to push myself a bit harder and entered a 10 mile race which i completed (just). my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer and following her passing away in 2007 I was determined to support Macmillan and repay them for the incredible support they gave. I entered the 2008 Edinburgh marathon and started training hard for it from January 2008.

I entered 2 half marathons (Alloa & Dunfermline) as part of the training build up but got struck down by IT band problems about 6 weeks out from the marathon. I managed the Alloa half (Easter) in 1'50" (pre-injury) and the Dunfermline half (End of April) in 1'58" (although I was just glad to finish). Through a lot of massages, stretching, strapping and determination I completed the Edinburgh Marathon in 4'34". I felt a fantastic achievement and rasied over £1600 for Macmillan! but I really wanted to do it under 4 hours!!!! Damn you IT Band! Damn you to hell!

Why you should train me - I want to keep the fitness I built up in training for the marathon. I want to get through my IT band problems and get back to running properly for enjoyment again without the constant paranoia of knee twinges and just focusing on how it feels. I want to do more marathons and get the feeling of achievement I had back again. And I want to be faster!

I am an everyman runner who isn't fast but loves the buzz of completing a goal. I want to be able to prove that at 37 I am fitter now than I was at 21 and still have a lot of good running in front of me and can continue to run faster and get stronger for as long as possible.

I want to surmount my injury (which I know is very common among runners) and prove that through effort, dedication, training and focus it can be done.

I can keep your readers involved. I can inspire them to do the same as me. I can make them feel better about themselves cos they are probably faster, fitter and better looking than I am!

Half-marathon goals - In 3 parts depending on how the training goes.

1 - to complete it in an IT Band pain-free PB

or

2 - to complete it IT Band pain-free!

or 

3 - To have seen some improvement as I finish and know I can keep stretching and exercising to improve it.

• Options
    LOL image if it gets votes in - anyone else want a pizza?

;-)