Options

Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Options
    I have been running over past 10 years have previously rang Great north run and donre several half marathons I am 47 years old and would benerfit greatly from an organised training program and would be happy to share my experiences on line with other memebers. I dearly would love to complete Journey in under 1hr 40minutes but as it stands i have hit a brick wall in attempting to lower my running time.
  • Options

Hi Run History:-  I started running about 4 years ago to over come extreme stress and depresssion, I not a fast runner but stuck with it because of the positive impact it has had on my health and outlook. I love the buzz of big events and the sense of achievement when I have completed a race, loosing 2.5 stone was a benefit I did not think about. My best 10k is 58 mins and half marathon 2hrs.18mins.

Why train me: Over the last year I have lost direction with my running after surgery (now recovered) and I am finding it hard to get back in to it with my training becoming inconsistent. I would love the help to get focused, back  into shape and prove to myself I have not lost all that I have achieved.

Half Marathon Goal: In my wildest dreams I would love to crack 2 hours in real life I would love to do 2hrs 15 mins.

• Options
    Erm,

I'd quite like the tee shirt. Is that part of the package?

Times clocked so far:

5K time 22min
    10K time 47min
    Half Mara 1hour 50min- Now I know one of your coaches could knock loads off these!

Please pick me as my wife is a little concerned about the amount of excel spreadsheets being pinned up in the house with training schedules all over them!!!!

Doing Snowdonia on Oct 25th so this would be a fantastic build up!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Farnie, Farnie, Farnie <waves flag and big banner> imageimageimageimage

• Options
    go away.......
  • Options

Name: Gina Gilsenan

Run History:  I was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer 4 years ago and had to undergo major surgery.  18 months into my recovery my mum was re-diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer and sadly lost her fight 2 and a half years ago.  I went through a bad time of depression my marriage failed then I took to drinking.  My GP, instead of anti-depressants, told me to go out for a run.  I haven't looked back.  I'm now celebrating 4 years all clear and 2 years running, I've stopped drinking and run half marathons to raise money for the Frimley Park Gynae Cancer Trust who treated my Mum and myself.

Why Train Me:  Just for the selfish reason that I would like to do a PB.  I planned to join a club but had to have some more surgery which I'm now recovered from.  It would be great to be trained and be fully prepared for my next race.

Half Marathon Goal: It would be fabulous to break 2 hours.  Current PB is 2 hours 10 minutes.

• Options
    I would like to second both Roslyn and CC2 from the GNR thread. They are both deserving of a place. 2 nicer girls you couldn't wish to meet.
  • Options
    Running History: started running seriously in 2006 by entering the GNR thinking that I could do more than plod round the block! Used the GNR to raise funds for the Meningitis Research Foundation (my cousin died from meningitis in 2001). 4 half-marathons and loads of 10ks later, I'm still running. Best time for a half-marathon - 1.46.

Why pick me?: I love running. I am a running bore. But, I am an average runner and I would love to improve. In my head, I am Paula Radcliffe. If you ever saw me run, you would agree that I am certainly nowhere near her!!!

GNR goal: This year is GNR no. 3 for me and 1.45 would be ace!

• Options

My name is Tracy Crookes.  I have been running for approx 2years now, mainly on a treadmill as this is the most convenient way for me to train with a young family.

I have never planned my running programme,  I just go for it and would benefit alot from your help and support.  I think you should choose me as a member of your team because I have never run a half marathon and it would be good to follow my fitness development during the training programme.  I have run three 3 10k races this year and my fastest time has been 51min 14secs.  I find this frustrating because I can run the distance in just under 45mins on the treadmill.

My goal is to run the Flora London Marathon before I am 40, as I am already 36 I am rapidly running out of time.  What better way to prepare than to run the Great North Run with you.

• Options
    nothing to say but need to un-tick the e-mail response button.
  • Options

Hi, my name is Tim Payne and I've been running for about 18 months. Like many others I got into the sport a little later in life (I was 46 on the 23/06), after I ran a local 10k with a friend and became hooked.  I run 3 - 4 times every week (without fail) and try to prepare for races by following a structured training plan.  To date I've run 5 10k's, 1 1/2 and 1 full marathon. Why should you train me?  I want to get below 1.40 for my half marathon time (currently 1.53) and having managed to knock about 12 mins off my 10k time (through following intensive training plans); I know the benefits that training can bring, if you stick to it.  I have a lot of long term personal goals for my running and this would be the icing on the cake to really kick them off!      

• Options

What's the point in using your real name as your forum name and then in your very first sentence writing "name" and then repeating it?image

If you give me a place, I'll tell you my name. Otherwise, I like being the Liverbird and having people ask me "are you the Liverbird?" at races because they recognise me from other people's descriptions!image

Farnie! Farnie! Farnie! Farnie! Farnie! Farnie! Farnie!

(Doesn't wear underwear, hence the lack of brief history).....image

• Options

please pick me image

Just need to untick email box!

But i am worth choosing - 0 to 13.1 miles in 12mths!!!!

• Options
    I have no idea who or what you are on about LB.....
  • Options

Hi my name is Ben Coombs, this will be my 10th Great North Run this year and I want to beat my first and fastest to date time of 1h 55min, I did my first run at 18 and thoroughly enjoyed it, since then I have let the hurly burly life I lead take over my running, which has left my treading water putting in some average times.  After a major change in personal circumstances last sept, my running has had the kick up the backside that it needed.

I've got down to 2h 3 mins for my last half, and i'm doing regular 10ks, and I've got the Tough Guy - Nettle Warrior challenge coming up on 27th July 

Why should you train me ?

My whole training routine would benefit from the structured approach that runners world would give me, I would also provide an interesting person to profile in runners world, i work full time in the emergency services in the middle of manchester, and the people I look after are fully aware that I like running after them, to a varying degree of success as well.

I feel I deserve a chance as much as anyone else does, good luck to all who enters the big race, not only is it a 1/2 marathon, its a great day out

• Options

No good starting wearing pants now Farnie.....

Nobody's fooled.....image

Should've called yourself Commando......image

• Options

Running History : Started running at Cardiff Half in 2006 Living for Diabetes an 2007 Bath Half 2008  10k Cardiff 2007 entered Bristol Half in 2008 and running for Children for Leukaemia in Great north 2008 . Entred London Marathon as ulimate goal before 50 !!!!!

Reason : I am male aged 48 and was overweight . Joined Weight Watchers in April 2008 and up to date lost 27 pounds . Also suffer from high blood pressure and also joints problems . Running is helping all aliments.  Running times reducing as part of weight control . Also involved with local running club and run with frends fro motivation . It would help having professional advice re physical issues as well as improvement long term with health and show to others we can achieve goals and targets using excerise

Goal : To improve on time (under 2.00 hours ) and also set up for future long term benfits for life -especailly since weight loss .

Many thanks

Philip

• Options
    Philip bishop well done on weight lost i have done something similar in past
  • Options
    Name:

Alan Ritchie

Background:

I am 19 years of age and come from NOrthern Ireland. I am in my first year at Uni studying Business Studies and work part time for the NHS.

Running History:

I only started running last year and started out with a 10km race which I ran 49mins. I then trained hard for a few months and got my time down to 40mins. I have only really ran 5km and 10km race but have it in myself to get to some track meets and give them a go.

Best Times to date:

400m 54.22
    800m 2:02
    1500m 4:30
    5km 16:32
    10km 37:17

Reasons why you should train me:

I have wanted to up my distance to half marathon for a while but have been adivised to wait until i was nearly turning turning 20, which is in a few months. I take a relaxed approach to running but I like to training hard and and beat my best time but enjoy it more of the soical side and I think I would get a real buzz from running the GNR

Half Marathon Goal:

I think 1:25 would be achievalbe with the right training but seeing as it would be my first race over the HM distance I would be pleased with sub 1:30
  • Options
    Please stop the e-mails i have unticked the box.

• Options

Name: Michael Prout

Running history: I have been running for 16 years and I can look back on 55+ marathons and 30 ultras. Having relocated from South Africa in October 2007, I recently ran my first marathon in the UK - the Edinburgh marathon where I managed a personal best.

Reason for training me: As I approach my 50th birthday, I am keen to show that one's best running years are not necessarily past.  I believe that with the right training programme I will be good for another PB and maybe more. Once committed to something, I see it through to the end and you can expect me to fully participate as a team member.

Half marathon goal: Over the past two years I have managed to get back under 90 minutes for the half  on two ocassions but only just. My goal would be to go for a 86 minute finish.     

• Options

Name: Emma Firth

Running History:  I started running again in 1999 after completeing my degree.  I completed my first great Nort Run in 2000 and have completed in all subsequent GNR's up til last yera when I was unable to run due to being pregnant.  I have also completed various other half marathons, the london marathon 3 times and the New York Marathon in 2006.

Reason for training me:  I gave birth to my first child at the end of March by ceaserian section.  As a result of having a section I was unable to do any exercise for six weeks.  After this time I was still unable to train as I developed a minor back injury.  I think this training programme would help my running get back on track and help me to lose my pregnancy weight gain.  I also feel that despite my previous training I have not reached my potential in previous GNRs.

Half Marathon Goal:  I would love to run a sub 1:50 but realistically I think it will be a sub 2 hours

• Options

Hi,

I would like to nominate my wife, Deb.

We have both just turned 40 and been entering FLM for past 3 years without any luck. I signed up for a charity place and ran FLM in 4hs10, with the Great Bentley half and the bury20 on the way. Now got the bug and along with 4 mates are training for the Berlin Marathon at the end of September.

In all this Deb's aspirations have gone unmet, in the ballot for next FLM. It would be a great to give her the support and motivation (and a break from our 3 children) to achieve a half marathon this year.

Running History:  Deb usually runs 5k once or twice at the Gym in between box-fit and body pump. She looks like she should be a runner, so I am sure she will do great.

Why train her: Given the chance she will nail this, I think she will be able to give a lot of inspriation to other first timers.

Cheers

Will

• Options
    Name: Scot, Ex Pat

Brief running history: marathons, fell ultras 20 years ago, then a break from running in the 90s (cycle racing instead) and a reintroduction to running and racing in 2006 for the Sheffield half marathon. Since then I've been tackling everything from 10ks to double marathons, and this year have really started to train smart and with consistent mileage. I sneaked under the 1:30 in January's Brass Monkey half, but there's lots more to offer...

Reason why we should train you: I am already managing to squeeze 50 odd miles per week into a busy young family and career life. With the right focus from Steve, my recent volume and speed training since FLM should give the potential for a considerable improvement on my previous best.

Half-marathon goal: 1:23 - 1:25
  • Options

61 year old retired teacher

Started running early 1980's to raise funds for a friends daughter who needed an operation only available in America As my rugby-playing career was winding down, I was delighted to find that running was a magnificent alternative.  Not being a natural distance runner, the sport has never come easy to me, but, I have always found it very rewarding and it has definitely added to my quality of life..

I have always set myself sensible targets, but, have never fit comfortably into the categories in running books, magazines and training schedules.

In early June, I completed The Great Yorkshire Bike Ride-a great event- and I hope to run the Leeds Half Marathon in early September. However, I feel that I am at a crossroads as far as my running is concerned and I need a totally new challenge to re-motivate me

I know that I would be able to pass on the enjoyment that running has always afforded me, and, I would welcome the opportunity to communicate the passion I feel for the sport.

• Options

Name:  Jo Waite

Running History:  I used to hate running....and when I say hate, at school I used to do anything to avoid it.  I remember at school taking a short cut in our cross country route which cut out most of the run...then hidding until the last few class mates arrived back at school so they didn't get suspisous!

Then in 2004 a couple of colleagues were talking about doing the NY marathon, would I join them?...of course I said!  (I think I had consumed too many glasses of wine!)  I then went from running hater to Marathon runner.  My time won't feature in any record books...although thinking about it I might challenge for the slowest ever......having said that my colleagues and I did raise a nice amount of money for 2 charities close to my heart and when I saw my parents after I crossed the finish line, it was the proudest moment of my life.

I then did the GNR in 2006 in a fairly  respectable 2.21.

Why should you train me:  I am still desperate to enjoy running which is why I entered the GNR this year.  Since the Marathon I have struggled to train consistantly.  I get very frustrated with how slow I am, how tired I get and why I still can't make it look at easy as those people who run (very fast) past me in the park.  I need help!!!! Please!!

Half Marathon Goal:  I want to beat my 2.21 and to start feeling like a slightly capable runner!

Thank You xx

• Options
    Name: Mick Hilton

I started treadmill running during the dark winter months when stationed on a project in Alaska in 2004. As the welcomed onset of spring brought the sun and daylight, my feet took me onto the trails. Jogging was a great reason to get outdoors and, although I didn't realise it at the time, had started a gradual increasing interest.

In late 2007 I started training with a purpose, followed some articles on quality training and entered my first races. May 2008 brought my third race, a local 10k, for which I covered my first half marathon training run and saw my 10k time drop from 62 to 47 mins.
    Finishing at 34% of the field meant there were a lot more runners behind me than in front and threw aside my haunted school cross country memory of finishing 118/125.

I have set my goals a little higher: to enter my first HM race, to improve on my 1:59 HM training run and to lead into the FLM or Edinburgh Marathon in 2009.

I'm hugely pleased with my progress as a runner but know some expert advice and coaching would help me achieve more. At a time when personal health and wellbeing is highest priority it could be inspirational for others to read that running can bring improved fitness, enjoyment and benefit to even the most unlikely of people.
  • Options

Karen Charman

HIstory - having been scared off running by being forced to run a half marathon by a CEO who sponsored the local race - 13 miles in Silver Shadows! - I came back to it 2 years ago to support a friend run for her mum in Race for Life.  I have not looked back and have achieved 2.13 half marathon in Paris this year and my PB 10K of 57.35 as well

whyTrain me - I love my training,, using my Garmin, looking at results and I am improving but I dont know what I am capable of and do I push myself too hard or not hard enough.  I have a poor image of the fat kid waddling round the streets and thats me so can i hope for more.  Running has given me so much and I want to make sure I am doing it justice and showing people what it can do even for me.

Goal - I would love to know I am capable of sub 2 hours and I hope one day to get there, I will keep plugging away and chipping off those seconds but maybe you could convince me I'm better than that.

Good luck to whoever you choose I'm sure they will do you proud

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭

SOoooo many entries, and soooo many deserving a place. Just reminds me why we all do this thing - because we can, for us, and for others. Keep 'em coming guys!

PS: RW & Great Run (Brendan) - surely you can find a few more places for these great people?????