Options

Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Options

My votes go to

CC2 Speedy Goth - A great character. Very fast. Totally dedicated. Plenty to say. Does brilliant race reports and is very ecouraging to everyone else.  It would be good to see if CC2 can be taken to the next level. Very deserving candidate.

Roslyn - Because most of us (specially me) would never have started running at all if we had to put with the conditions that Roslyn runs in.  It's not so much a question of 'Is it windy'?' but 'How bloomin' fast is the wind today ?! ! '  I hate wind.  It's one of the most challenging conditions to train in, specially when you are parked on an island (beautiful as I'm sure it is). Everything is a challenge when you are so remote.

Vixx 76 - Who has been so fantastic at helping/guiding the rest of us when we have injuries and niggles. Vixx has been studying all hours of the night and has proved that she is very determined to succeed. She has set herself some incredible goals. Now is the time that we need to give something back to Vixx and help her succeed.

Scottish Mike -  I hope he won't mind me saying, but I think he lacks confidence in himself a little and would therefore  benefit from some serious encouragement and for someone to acknowledge that he has the ability to do well at this (even if he ducked out of sports at school)  I get the feeling that he is strong in many ways but I think his spirit could easily be crushed so he needs the right sort of support to build him up. I'm sure he can rise to the challenge with the right guidance.

- I'd also really like to nominate a couple of folks who I don't think will put there own names forward but both are very deserving  -

Vicki:Graceless Whippet  - One of the fastest and best know characters on the GNR thread.  Vicki's story is an inspiration to everyone who reads it and although she already has her place and she may not need accommodation, she is just so deserving of all the other treats and would still benefit from the coaching.  She always writes up her fantastically entertaining race reports in great detail.  Truly someone to admire.

and

Shielsy  - who is great fun, chatty and maybe a little mischievous.  Shielsy takes part in loads of races and does brilliantly. Not as quick as CC2 and Vicki but sooo determined.  She always says she's going to take it easy (if she has a niggle or is a bit under the weather) but  she just doesn't 'do' taking it easy and will always run her little socks off.  She always puts in 150% even when she really shoudn't.  There's just no stopping her.  Fantastic personality - we all love her on the GNR thread. She would do so well with the extra coaching - and hopefully beat her last years 2hrs and a smidgen!

• Options

Siver_Fox

53 years young. From a complete couch potato for 10 years I started gym work about 3 years ago and have done the last 2 FLMs this year 4:28 (1 hour faster than 2007). The only other race I've done was this year's St Albans half in 2:04.

I really want to get under 1:55 for a half in the hope I can do sub 4 for a marathon some time before my body complains too much.

I'm not the fastest around but I would take the advice ultra-seriously and follow it to the letter and I hope be an inspiration to people who come into this running lark late. The message for everyone is that its never too late to start.

I've spoken to a few people who've done the GNR and it sounds great so I'd love to give it a go, meet/beat my target and at the same time inspire a few of the older runners on here.

• Options

imageimage thanx RTLW, you're a sweetheart

Maybe they could do a guidance thread for everyone who doesn't win? or better still - have a couple of the coaching folks join the GNR thread - that would be canny image 

I prolly need help with my diet willpower after last night's cheesecake incident image;)

• Options
    Like Vicki says, thank you so much RunLikeTheWind - what a nice surprise *blushes shyly*

"A little mischievous"? Me?

Surely not, lol.

xxx
  • Options
    LeoBLLeoBL ✭✭
    Science has been a great interest of mine since school and the idea of combining it professionally with my running is an exciting proposition.

My family, running and work have for a long time been the backbone of my life. I have run for 20 years since school and dragged many friends and colleagues along over the years most of whom are still inspired by the positive benefits of running. Running has been my major source of relaxation over the years and thus not necessarily been a focus for improvement. I am a strong runner if not the fastest having run many marathons and finished The North Face Ultra Tour du Mont Blanc the last two years. Following the GNR I am entered for the Abingdon marathon at the end of October which I would love to do in under 3.30. Having recently sold our Pub I have more time than I've had in years and would love to run faster and easier as a prelude to my next 20 years of running

• Options
    I turned 40 this year and would never have described myself as sporty. On a whim I entered the Plymouth Half Marathon and started running in February. I am now an addict. I have run two 10k's and managed 1.54 for the half.
    Running has given me a goal and whatever standard you are the potential for meaningful personal achievement is there.
    Why me? I am stuck as a novice, I have enthusiasm and would love the opportunity to show what focussed training can achieve. Thank you!
  • Options

sorry guys just tring to stop my inbox filling up with notifications - gnore this message

• Options

Stu Haynes

Done 3 Great South Runs - 1st one in 1:45, last one in 1:22 - couple of half marathons (PB 1:52) and a handful of 10k's.

Started running in 2005 to lose weight but as soon as I entered my first race, got into the competitive and social aspect. Shed over 3 stone and was very chuffed with my progress until I injured myself doing the GSR last October. I then got a football injury in December and was finally starting back in full training in May when I had to go to the Vets - with 5 children, the snip was necessary! So, I can't run again at the moment...

Very frustrated as I'm so up for running mentally, so know I have to concentrate and increase my intensity to regain my previous fitness levels. A structured schedule will focus my energy and I am determined to do a sub 1:45 in my next half.

• Options
    Cracking write up RLTW. Well said.
  • Options

Name: Lisa

I started running at the age of 40. Three weeks before my 40th Birthday I was diadnosed with Breast Cancer and underwent a Bi-latteral Mastectomy. Although I have never been over-weight, I had never been really fit, so decided from that point that I wanted to start running to get both fit and healthy. five month's after major surgery I started running with my friend Sonia, within a few month's we had run our first 10k and by the September we competed in the 25th GNR and finished in a time of 2.33.

Since running the GNR Sonia and I continued running 10k's. I ran a 10 Mile last year, however, in April this year my Breast Cancer returned and I have undergone a few operations which has put a stop to my running. I'm now ready to fight back and my dream is to run the Bupa London Marathon in 2009, my 45th year. But I NEED YOUR HELP!!!! I need advise on nutrition and training to realise my dream and an excellent kick start would be to have a goal of running this years GNR, I've always wanted to do this run again as the people and atmosphere in Newcastle is outstanding. I also want my two children to be proud of their mum and see that you can overcome difficaulties in life if you put your mind to it.

I would love to finish in around 1.50 but I NEED YOUR HELP.

• Options
    Name: Shaleen

Brief running history: Been running on and off for the last 3years. Completed a few 5k fun runs. Will be taking part in the London 10K on Sunday 6th July. I hope to do the london marathon in 2009 (if I get a place!)I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 2007 which put a stop to running for a while beacuse of uncontrolled sugar levels. This would be my first big run!

Why we should train you: It has been very hard to get back in to running since my diagnosis and I receive little support from my dr or nurses. Type 1 diabetics are left to get on with life after diagnosis & it isn't that easy. It's not just a matter of not eating sugar! Any exercise means a drop in sugar levels = hypo. Not good. This training would allow me to get the help I need and show other type 1's that diabetes does not need to stop you acheiving anything.

Half-marathon goal: To finish! At a guess I would say about 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

• Options
    Name: Lee Tolhurst

Brief running history:
    I started running about 4 years ago as I had become overweight (I have a horrid picture to prove it) and my Daughter had just been born so I wanted to inspire her and now my son as well to an active life. I set myself a challenge to run under 3hours for the Marathon not knowing how hard that would be. I reached this goal, running 2hrs 54mins and on the way ran 1hr 19mins for the half-marathon taking advise from those around me especially from my local running club, Overton Harriers. I have now qualified on lowest rung of the coaching ladder and am hoping to inspire others to run, run better and run happier.

Reason why we should train you:
    My reasons are three-fold. Firstly; I am hungry to learn as much as I can about running so I can pass this on to others so everyone can enjoy running as much as I do. Secondly; I have plateaued in my running recently and need help to take my running to the next level, I always train hard and am committed to following training plans usually I follow training plans to within 95%. Finally; I don’t know a thing about nutrition but really would like to learn form an expert so I can sort my diet out which I’m sure would help.

Half-marathon goal:
    I have set myself the goal of reaching the Athletic Standard of 1hr 17mins for Male 35
  • Options
    I'd like to second RLTW's nomination of Shielsy and Vicki:Graceless Whippet - great words missus, and so true. Friendly, chatty, encouraging - great role models!
    I'd also like to second Scottish Mike - I'd agree with what RLTW says and think Mike has a lot to give, hidden away somewhere inside...
  • Options
    Hi
    I've been running now for arould 30 years and have completed around 18 Gt North Runs as well as 3 marathons (London x 2 & Paris) with a marathon PB 0f 3:51. My Best GNR time in recent years was 1:45 in 2005.
    In May 2000 I founded my local running club , Rutland RC (www.rutlandrunners.co.uk) and have been involved in running the club and encouraging others to take up running ever since. 
    Next January I will turn 60 and would like to run the Boston Marathon. As you may know, you can't just enter Boston, you have to achieve a qualifying time which at 59 years old is 3:45:00. To this end I have entered the Amsterdam marathon in October (so this years GNR will be a test of how my training is going) and would appreciate some help in balancing the physical training needs with the correct dietary advice, as I find I can run a steady pace for around 20 Miles but then begin to fade, and I believe that an improved dietary regime along with core strength training would help me to beat this 'fading' and achive the time I am looking for at Amsterdam.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Paul R.
  • Options

Name: Jim Smith - Honest!!

Running History: I am 37 years old. I love to run but i am just ... what is the word i am looking for?? FAT.. I run approx 20 - 30 miles per week and when i have a goal am very disciplined at sticking to a schedule image. I have completed 1 marathon London 2007 which i was gutted image with because after all my preparation the hot weather and weight stopped me dead in my tracks...5:15:00 when it should have been nearer 4:15:00. I have done numerous halfs with a best time of late in the 2007 Reading Half which i did in 1:53 whilst preparing for London. Interestingly i had shed approx 7 pounds so i know that i have potential to improve.

Reason why we should train you:
    I need your help... Even though i will never be an athlete i 100% feel that my not losing weight is wasting the potential that i do have. I need help with training schedules and nutrition as i just haven't got a clue... Any expert help would be fantastic and i would guarentee a full and devoted committment. 'You are the potter and i am the clay... Mold me oh wise ones... '

Half Marathon Goal: Ideally under 1:45

• Options
    DeeCeeDeeCee ✭✭✭
    Name : Dianne , age 40

Running History : I began running about 4 years ago for a 5k Corporate Cup. I then settled into my comfort zone of 10ks, usually around 55-60mins. I had a baby in 2005 so running became a bit random for a while, though I did complete the Liverpool 10k when my daughter was 7 weeks old. Sheer pig headed-ness got me through that.
    I believe in trying for something new every year so this year it was a half marathon. I ran 3 miles on 2 Jan then the half on 2 March in 2:08; had my Steven Redgrave moment at the end - "if anyone sees me in running shoes again, shoot me" - but here I am again.

Reason Why We Should Train You : I have always run by myself and always around 10 minute/mile pace. However, for some unknown reason I have improved in every race I have done this year :
    5 miles : 47 mins to 41 mins
    10k : 59 mins to 51 mins.

It would be interesting to see what I could achieve with proper advice, training and support along with whatever I've done correct this year. I know I'll never set the running world alight but I would so love to finish in the top half of a race just once in my life.

Half Marathon Goal : Anything under 2 hours and still be standing ! Seriously, to finish in the top half I need to run around 1:45.
  • Options

Name: Camille Dagher

Brief running history: there isn't really one... I enjoy running however  - I alternate between hating the gym and running outside.. and hating the elements and running like a rat on a treadmill. I have never entered a marathon but would love the challenge more than anything!

Reason why we should train you: because I want to document my progress with an honest - amateur - female point of view - telling all the other beginners out there if it is really tough or surprisingly easy! Hoping in the end to motivate some people and perhaps make other's see the light (however bright  it shines!!! image)

Half marathon goal: I would say under 2 hours would be great - however the bullet wound in my foot that I just gave myself may slow me down!

• Options
    Name: Lesley Thornton - aged 53

Running History
    Started running in 1998 with the Great Windsor Half Marathon - no real training only aerobics, step etc., The entry was organised by a local vendor at a team meeting where the vendor put in their time and sponsored a team from our company. When the day arrived - only me left on list - so still did the run. 2hrs 23mins - which considering was an excelent run.

Since then I have completed London Marathon 3 times - times getting slower. GNR 9th year this year - getting slower. My first GNR 2hrs 14 gun time (before chips), 2hrs 7mins actual - starting watch from crossing line.

I enjoy my running very much and enjoy finding new routes and new races to try, to keep the momentum and interest and achieving new goals.

This year I have improved my times in all races which is encouraging and keeps me focused.

Why would I want RW to train me?
    I believe I am missing something in my training, nutrition, recovery etc., for which RW would be able to fill that gap.

My ultimate goal would be to run GNR in under 2 hours - for which I am more than capable and achieved in training, but not on race day. My fastest half is 2hrs 4mins - achieved at Silverstone Half Marathon.

My ultimate goal is to complete the London Marathon in under 4hrs 30mins.

What could RW do with a body like mine.........
  • Options
    I would like to second Roslyn, Vix76, CC2, Scottish Mike, Vicki and Shielsy.  I’ve been trying to think of something to say about them to sway the vote however, I don’t think that I could ever express myself as eloquently as RunLikeTheWind has image. All have been regular contributors to the GNR thread (some for as long as I can remember!)and have been unstinting in their encouragement of others even when they themselves have been below par or injured.
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    TOTP vote for Farnie image
  • Options
    Hi, My name is Katie, Im 30 and I'm from Manchetser.
    Running history - I joined a gym in January 2007 having become a little plump and, well, lazy. I signed up for the Great Manchester run which was the first race I had entered since primary school as a motivation to improve. My original time at the gym for 10k was 1h 19 mins. I could not train for a few months becasue of a bereavement but did the GMR anyway, did 1h 2 mins. I really enjoyed it and so did a few more 10ks and last years GNR 2h 17. I was over enthusiastic to start and increased my miles per week probably too fast to about 60 and has some knee problems which again stopped me running for a while. This year I did the GMR again in May in 54 mins and the GWR in 50 mins so I am very happy to be improving.
    Goal time - not sure what to expect but would love 1h 50
    Why me - I know I am improving, would be great to get to be at my best. I would really commit to a pogramme that I know is right for me. I've got a good base now of 50 miles per week and I'm finally down to 60 kilos (5'71/2) with 5 more to lose. Being a veggie I would really like some help with nutrition. I dont know any other runners locally and Im not in a club so the advice would be great. Thanks.
  • Options

Hi my name is Paul Downie I am 43 years old I have run the Great North run 3 times previouslylast years time being 2hrs 16mins> I would not normally look for help in training for this event However a number of issues have arisen that have now made me seek help. I had a fascia operation on my left leg in March and whereby this would not normally discourage me from pushing myself back into training the second and more tragic reason is my regular running partner who was due to run the event with tragically and suddenly died in june at the age of 42. he was raising sponsorship on behalf of MS and basically my main goal would be to get myself back into some sort of condition to enable me to not only continue to raise the money for MS but to also dedicate my run to him and his family. I was just getting back to some regular training runs when this happened and would therefore appreciate your help in getting me back running and fit enough to complete they event - without one of my main inspirations for running I envisage it being a very long and difficult journey back from Injury. Many Thanks and good luck to everyone else entered in the race.

• Options
    I've a few reasons for wanting this:- I've never run a big name event, or even anything with a decent crowd before, could these things provide the push I need?

One of the only things I've ever won (or am ever likely to) was my club's 'Most Improved' the year before last. I have not however pushed on from here, in fact I've slipped backwards. Could proper advice see me move into forward gear again?

Most of the half's I planned do again as usual this year I have now missed or they have been cancelled. This would certainly make up for them and might be my only half of the year.

I'm 44 with a half p.b. of 1 39' 28".
  • Options
    I’ve been running for about 5 and half years now to try and lose weight and get fit again. To give myself a target I entered the 2005 Great North Run and had a great time; it gave me the incentive to enter other races and events. Over the next couple of years I continued to plod along at 9 to 9 and a half minute miles doing a variety of races, including the Great North Run again in 2005.To try and improve I joined Doncaster Athletic Club in April 2007 but have suffered a few injuries including Achilles tendonitis. I’ve now been back training since mid to late May but would love to lose more weight (I’m currently 14 stone) and sort out my training to improve my times. My immediate goals for 2008 are to run a 10k in under 50 minutes and a Half Marathon inside 2 hours. The opportunity to have a training schedule personalised for me as well as nutritional guidance would be invaluable, along with being scrutinised in public to ensure I stick to the plan and give me the encouragement to achieve my goals no matter how modest they may seem.
  • Options

Hi all,

if this for the GNR i will like to go ahead and give it ago. i have only just started running more confidently in the last few months and am at 6miles on average each run. i would like to eventually do a full marathon, but the half is definately a more realistic goal for me at the moment.

As far as times goes i have not yet done any offical runs so i don't have an idea of what time i would make it in, but would be grateful to reach the finish line...well lets say i would be happy with under 2 hours.

i would like to nominate someone else to if i was succesful. this being my 1st thread reply i am not sure how to go about that.

Thanks

Tanya 32yrs

• Options
     I took the free copy of RW from my boyfriends Mens Health last year and immediately subscribed. Couldn’t run to the corner shop at the time but my cigarette and lager life style was coming to an end. 29 and a bit fat. I was cycling the 5.7 miles to work as I couldn’t afford the tube fare and that used to kill me. I walked to work on a fine day in June, then I walked jogged and then jog walked and now I jog, all the way a couple of times a week. I would love to see myself as a runner and almost do on a rainy evening when the air is cool and I'm feeling good.I'm from North Cumbria and the heat down here (London) kills me - If I am to run , I am to run in the North.  I have jogged some of the wobble off my thighs but this professional training and experience would help me to change my life, my health for the better and finishing the GNR in under 2 hours would just be the beginning.  Sharing my experience as I went along would be fun but continuing to share my knowledge, enthusiasm and determination after the event would make it all the more worth while. I don't ‘deserve’ to win this but I would love the challenge, even if my ‘Baboons bum’ face was to be pictured in the runners magazine.
  • Options

Also, Roslyn Macpherson deserve a chance - anyone who goes out running in the wind and rain she has to put up with gets my vote - I am sure your child and husband are already proud!

• Options

Name: Andy Perlejewski

Running History: Completed a couple of marathons about 25 years ago, just as the marathon craze was developing in this country. After years of getting fit every summer so as not to look like a beached whale on my summer holidays, I miraculously completed a half marathon 4 years ago in 1 hour 45 mins.

I ceased being a football referee two years ago, turned 50 last summer and realsied that I would soon need bigger clothes. A year of haphazzard training has seen me getting into clothes I haven't worn for years, but I would welcome the opportunity of competing in the Great North Run to provide the focus to take my training to a higher level.

Target time: Anything under 2 hours would be a personal achievement.

• Options

Name: Andy Perlejewski

Running History: Completed a couple of marathons about 25 years ago, just as the marathon craze was developing in this country. After years of getting fit every summer so as not to look like a beached whale on my summer holidays, I miraculously completed a half marathon 4 years ago in 1 hour 45 mins.

I ceased being a football referee two years ago, turned 50 last summer and realised that I would soon need bigger clothes. A year of haphazzard training has seen me getting into clothes I haven't worn for years, but I would welcome the opportunity of competing in the Great North Run to provide the focus to take my training to a higher level.

Target time: Anything under 2 hours would be a personal achievement.

Why should you train me: A structured training programme would provide me with the discipline I need to increase my weekly mileage.