Options

Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Options

I started running when my boyfriend asked me to run a marathon with him - six weeks beforehand! Having had a few beers I agreed - I've never been able to turn down challenge! So, madly, as I'd never run further than 10 miles, my first ever race was a marathon. Naturally my goal was to beat my boyfriend - a mutual friend told me 'you'll never beat, him he does these things all the time' so I had that in my head the whole way round - and beat him by 15 minutes.

That was just under two years ago and being very competitive (particularly against myself!) I have pushed myself hard to improve. I've taken my half marathon time down by 14 minutes in a year and a half, and this week I've just done my first 70% age grading, over 5k.

Why train me? My goal is to start on the women's elite start at the London Marathon and to do this I need a qualifiying time of 1:30. Having advice and training and being able to chart my progress would be fantastic.

• Options
    Linda Hayes wrote (see)

I am really sorry to moan but I keep getting e-mails telling me that I have an respose to my threads???? the problem is I get 7 or 8 emails at a time every hour - can someone please help me to stop these e-mails

thanks 

Scottish Mike wrote (see)
    Linda Hayes wrote (see)
    Please could someone stop the automated emails being sent 7 at a time on the hour every hour as it is filling up my inbox - I have tried to disable the link but it has not worked - can anyone help!!!

Linda,

If you click on the link with the email to stop emails, they do eventually stop.

I have already made a specific post about mutliple emails within the technical section of the forum because I received nearly 600 emails when there had only been about 60 had been posted

• Options

Name

David hemmings

Brief running history:

I have tried various times to get into the london marathon and also 10k races locally to me,but due to various injuries and the marathon lottery system i have so far missed out! My best runs so far are just over 8 miles!

Reason why we should train you:

It would be great for first timers who needed to see someone overcome injuries and setbacks to complete the distance!

Half-marathon goal

To finish.......NOT LAST PLEASE GOD image

• Options
    Oh, oh, Aitch can do it as well she'd love it.

p.s. RW cath this thread appears to have broken everything else not getting e-mails from the threads I try and keep a eye on and the tool bar doesn't show up anymore image
  • Options
    You're right the disable email is not working on this thread. And my inbox is filling up too fast too. Sort it out please guys.
  • Options
    This is getting ridiculous!!!  Have emailed the editor...will try again in an hour if nothing happens.
  • Options

Name: Ruth Parfitt

Brief running history:  I'm fairly new to running and have recently completed my first half marathon in 2 1/4 hours (although this was hilly/undulating).  My first race was a 10k in Dorset about 1 1/2 years ago and it took me 56mins.  I also took part in man vs horse which I have to say was the hardest run I've ever done.

Reason why we should train you:  I need help! I know that I could push myself harder than I do and get better times, but my training isn't right for the types of runs I'm doing.  I was training for the half marathon by doing 4mile and 6 mile runs and even if I did run further I was still going at the same pace.  I still had energy left after my half marathon...it was just my legs that protested from about 9miles onwards.  I'd really enjoy the opportunity of having Runners World being with me in the run up to The Great North Run.   I could really do with you telling me what to do!

Half-marathon goal:  I'm already entered in the Great North Run and would ideally like to do it in sub 2hours, but I know with my training this could be unlikely.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and look forward to hearing from you. 

• Options
    Those of you having trouble with receiving emails, have you tried disabling notifications in 'your profile'?
  • Options

Name: Zoë Cobden-Jewitt

Brief running history: Started running last year to get fit pre-wedding, completed first FLM this year

Reason why we should train you: Because i am a mine of untapped potential with a real competitive spirit!!  Have also discovered a huge amount about myself, ie that my technique is bizarre and that i'm the world's least flexible person, but that hasn't put me off and i'm really dying for the next challenge (and hoping against hope for a ballot place in the 2009 FLM - so the Great North Run would be just brilliant timing).  I would be so thrilled to have first-class training to help me become a better runner and to keep improving, whilst hopefully providing entertaining (!) feedback for my fellow RunnersWorld forumites.

Go on, RunnersWorld - I won't let you down!!

Half-marathon goal: 1.40

• Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Started running at 34(49 next week) and have done 25 marathons (PB 3.13 in 2003) and at least as many halves (PB 1.30.27 in 2005) Have done 8/10 world's top ten marathons, just Washington(26/10/08) and Honolulu(12/09) to complete and in process have been associated with fundraising just under £1million. Am trying to round that figure up finishing at Honolulu. Have never been trained or followed a training programme. Was set for another 3.15ish at Stockholm but damaged both legs month before and ended in a PW. A training prog might just get me back on track for a half PB at GNR and PB at Washington and help Macitamillion in the process.PS, would be a great birthday present for the 10th July too!
  • Options
    dizzygillydizzygilly ✭✭✭

Name: Wendy Roper-Knight

I have been running on and off since University (10 years ago) but never seriously or competitively just to clear my head (beore revising) or get rid of a  bit of stress. Had a bit of a gap, apart from occasional treadmill running while had my children (aged 2 and 5 ) and have now started again with the GNR in mind to try and keep me focussed. Having a little run with the pushchair to my sons enjoyment when I have the chance(he brings my trainers to me now and sits himself in the pushchair ready!).

I would love the RW training package as it would keep me motivated and running. My bosses reaction when I pondered the GNR was 'people always die doing that' and my husband laughs every time I go out or talk about running and can't understand more than £40 for a pair of trainers.. My brother who said he would do the run with me lives over 200 miles away and will easily thrash me so you can see I need a bit of encouragement to keep me going especially when it gets a bit rainy and darker!

I would love the acheivement of just completing the GNR and my daughter's face when I show her the medal. I would love to thrash my little brother as he could always outrun me as a kid. My Grandparents lived in Sunderland so I spent many happy weeks in the holidays in the area so it would be great running around it and reminissing! 

• Options

Starting running in July 2006 to win a bet that I could train for and complete a marathon in 16 weeks.... completed New York in Nov of that year in 4:04. Continued to train and further enjoy running and taking part in events that I would schedule months in advance.

Completed Berlin Marathon, 3:52 and Great South in 75mins last.

Enhanced training programme to improve further and reached best training time of 1:28 for half and 3:23 over 26.2.

Twice weekly runs to work, 24.2 miles, became the norm and the feel good factor and buzz was amazing.

With the distance times tumbling I discussed the addiction of my habit with colleagues at work.

There I was, 42, managed to quit the cancer sticks and have found that perfect way of enjoying me time.

Perfect preparations for Reading half and then Rome Marathon of this year, nothing was going to stop me from posting that sub 3:30

How wrong I was.

After aborting a run to work the next day for reasons I still dont know, all the plans were interrupted when I suffered a brain heamorrage 4 days prior to the first event.

Recovering now and waiting for the ok from hospital to put one foot in front of the other at speed again.

Its a long way back to what I took for granted as the norm and with PBs are not reallly a possibility this year. I would just like to be part of an event again and get to the finish with a smile, a tear and the past behind me.

That Newcastle brown would taste so sweet after as well.

• Options

Name: Joanne Hill

I am a beginer!!! I am 30 years old and never thought in a million years I could run any distance (cross country at school put me off for life.) I started walking in April this year to get fit but soon realised that I couldnt walk quickly enought to get out of breath, so I ran for a few minutes. Little did I know that this would be the start of a beautiful friendship. I now have amazed myself by joining the local running club and run twice a week with the group and once on my own for a big run. 

I would love to do the GNR to prove to myself that I can do it. I have watched it on Tv and believed it was something that other people did, but here I am exited at the thought!!!!! (how mad am I?)

I think that the training that RW would give me an ideal start to my running career. As I have only been doing it for a short time I dont have any bad habits yet. I can run 10 miles and have recently completed my first 5k race in 21.35mins. Just to finish the GNR in the best time I possibly could would be an excellent achievement for me, and to help others on the way would be fab.image

• Options
    I’m Polly, and I’m a bit ‘little-miss-average’ with a relatively undistinguished running history. Like so many, I started with Race for Life 3 years ago, then a pub bet led to the Bristol ½ marathon and somehow ... I never really stopped. I’m not fast (2:05 ½ mara PB) but I don’t train all that well …

Last year, I thought about joining a club. I phoned the local-ish running club, didn’t like it (Judgemental? Me? Never...) so decided to set one up, and became an organiser for the Women’s Running Network. I now lead a beginners group of wonderful ladies and try my hardest to keep them progressing and motivated.

2008 had two challenges –the Celtic Challenge and Edinburgh marathon, three weeks apart. I’ll assume everyone’s familiar with the second, the first is a rowing race across the Irish Sea. Due to bad weather (and resulting copious amounts of vomit) our team had to quit halfway. The race didn’t break me, but having to stop very nearly did.

Celtic Challenge training put my marathon training all out of kilter, and I got to the start-line under-trained and stressed. But I finished, hobbling over the line in 5 hours. Could have been better … and I should have beaten that ****** womble!

I desperately need help balancing running and rowing and getting the best out of both. GNR is a few weeks after a 22-mile rowing race – how do I train? I need much more discipline … can you help?

So that’s me: slightly overweight, almost 30, never quick but hate stopping. I’d like a 2hr half (but, secretly, I dream of speed…)
  • Options
    Name : Emma Jenkins

I'm not sure if I've ever really been a runner! I started about 5 years ago with a Race for Life and I have run on and off since then. I managed a 10k in Blenheim at just over 1hour about 2 years ago. However, always running on my own, I have no idea of what i should do to get faster, stronger etc.

Reason why you should train me - I think it would be interesting to see what a realy beginner could do with this. Also at 41 I would really like to see what I can do with this. It would be a huge achievement. My boyfriend did it a couple of years ago and was in the top 1000 at just over an hour and a half. It would be fantastic to say I have done it.

Goal - to still be on my feet at the end?? Seriously though, I don't know what I am capable of, I just think I can do better than I think, and with other people believeing in me , it might just give me the push I need to go from plodding to running. WOuld love to be your beginner guinea pig!!!!!
  • Options

Name : Michelle Jolley.

I have been running for about two years since I turned 41and have just run the St Albans half marathon. This was the first race I entered and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My time was a quite slow 2.30 and I would love to improve this.I  did follow a programme to train for this  half marathon, but would love to  have the opportunity to train more effectivley for the Great North Run.  

The RW training package would provide the expert advise and motivation I need to start running faster and smarter. I would  like to be given the opportunity to do a half marathon in 2  hours or less, which let's face it will be a challenge. I have a long term goal( although obviously with my age in mind not too long) of running the marathon.

Why should I have the opportunity rather than someone else? Well I don't know, but I am determined to get better and know that with experts on my side I could  acheive this.

• Options
    Name: Gary Allen

Background: Have been running on and off for 11 years. This will be my 7th Great North Run with a best time of 1hr 37mins. I have recently started competing in different races and have just completed my first fell race - and what an expierence that was!.

I know that given the right structure, support and advice I can run much faster that 1hr 37. Despite running 3 times aweek and getting to the gym when I can, I seem to struggle with weight and would love the opportunity to discuss this with experts and make significant changes not just for myself but also my young family.

My goals are to run a half marathon under 1hr 30mins and then follow this with a marathon at 3hr 10/15mins.

Reasons for deserving package: For me its not just about hitting a time, but more around the expert support and training advice together with the nutritional plan that could really kick start my running.
  • Options

I would like to nominate my lovely husband... We met running 8 years ago. And after a series of silly challenges and running after each other (Nottingham and Paris marathons), we decided it would be easier to get married and have babies ! How wrong...

A lovely 5 year old boy and a cheeky 20 month old girl after, number 3 will be ready for delivery in September ! No need to say that our running times have seen better days but a bit of an incentive could only help.

My husband ran the GNR twice (98-99) while he was a student in Newcastle but we have never been lucky and not pregnant enough to do it together since image

I am sure that this opportunity will give him the perfect excuse to miss a couple of baby night shift and he would have the youngest supporter by the sea in October !

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

<starts hacking into the RW computer to remove all the nominations except Farnie's>

• Options

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options

Name: Lindsey Strattan

Brief Running History:

Until two years ago I loved nothing more than eating, drinking, and smoking, but at 16 stone I didn’t like what I saw in the mirror! Ever since I was a child I have struggled with my weight, when suddenly something clicked. I realised that if I wanted to lose weight I had to make some changes! I had to give up booze and fags, and swap them for the gym! After entering a triathlon I found a passion for running and ever since then I haven’t looked back. I am now five stone lighter and have turned my life around. Running has kept me focused. I have gradually increased my distances and speed, completing 5km, 10km and 8mile races. I am not a fast runner, but I have never walked during a race, even up the hills! I am a plodder and I am determined.

I am focussed, motivated and ready for this challenge and I would definitely make the most of the advice and expertise that was on offer. This opportunity would also help towards shifting the last 20 lbs to reach my target weight. It would be really exciting to record and share my experiences whilst I train and I hope that my story might inspire others to take up running.

Goal: To finish in under 2hr 15mins

• Options
    Name: Dave Palmer

Brief running history: I have completed GNR 6 times (best time 1hr 40mins 20 secs) and also my first marathon this year – the FLM in 4hrs 3mins and 10 secs. This will be my seventh GNR.

Well for so many reasons really - Although I have run the FLM this year which was a tremendous personal achievement for me, I’ve struggled with motivation this year and really want to find a way out of my rut and start enjoying running again. I’ve also put on a little bit of weight around the middle and want to lose it to get back to how I used to feel. Finally, I’ve always just ran at a steady pace and put in the miles, never doing speedwork or fartlek sessions. So a bit of advice on altering and mixing up my training and fitting it around a busy job would be great.

So overall, it would be great to get some inspiration from a team of professionals on mixing up a training regime from my usual general plodding; find some renewed motivation to get out and enjoy my running again, and all hopefully with the added bonuses of losing weight/getting back into shape and maybe even getting under 1hr 40mins for the Great North Run!

Half-marathon goal: Would like to get under 1hr 40 mins for the first time for a half-marathon.

• Options

Name: Simonetta Taccuso

Brief running history: 6 weekds of training and race for Life yesterday, 5k at Richmond Old Deer Park in 24:37. Well, this is the 'serious' running history. Before that, I trained for a few months last year before the winter darkness prevented my morning runs, which are most of my runs, so I stopped! This year is going to be different: I am a woman with a plan. I am running 10k on the 26th of July and a 10 mile in September. I will join a running club to beat winter darkness and my name is in the online ballot for the Flora Marathon. I bet I am in!

Reason why you should train me: Certainly not because I deserve it more than other people, but you must make a choice, I suppose and I do hope you find me an interesting challenge. I need all the basic structure of training, but I work hard and do my homework. I run because I LIKE IT and I would love to have the privilege of a professional training to try my real best.

Half marathon goal: 2 hours 10 mins.

• Options
    Name: David Capel
    I have just reached the age of 60 but don't want to feel it! Having taken up running late in life the last 10 years of running have opened up a whole new world. In this time I have run many half marathons but don't feel I yet reached my potential. With your support and guidance I just dream of the time I might achieve. My goal is simple - still to be running at 70 with a time of under 2 hours. Ambitious? Yes but what would life be without a challenge.
  • Options

Name: Bryan the Snail (obviously)

History: I have run – honest Guv!! Ok – most of the time I don’t actually run, but I do manage to hobble round at something slightly faster than a crawl. After a lifetime of debauchery (I once had a deep fried mars bar) I decided to train for a marathon and completed a few 10ks, a half marathon and a marathon in 2004 before spending the next couple of years crippled waiting for back surgery. After the op I eventually staggered round an Ironman (story here). None of my races have been pretty - but neither am I - due to problems training consistently and more importantly training smartly.

Why: In the past I have trained hard for a week or so and then been forced to take time off to allow my back to recover, which leads to losing motivation. I don’t deserve specialist training any more than anyone else but I would like the chance to show that smart training can overcome back problems, lack of motivation and love of doughnuts.

Goal: I reckon that in spite of my zimmer frame I could probably get under 2 hours. My last half was 2.2xx done on no training when my wife withdrew 5 days before the race due to injury. Being Scottish we decided not to waste the entry fee so I ran in her place – she seems to think I should thank her for this but I am still unconvinced.

• Options
    I nominate Bryan the Snail
  • Options
    Name : Rick Page

The reasons why I began running in February this year, at the age of 46, would I suspect not be too difficult for any armchair analyst to unravel. Personally I'd rather not delve too deep and just accept the fact at face value, a bit more exercise to help justify my inndulgence of good food and wine........

Whatever, I now find I run 15 - 20 miles a week and entered my first race, the Great East Anglian Run (10k),in May as the motivation to keep me training. I've since run two more 10k races with a best time of 52m 44s. The temptation is now growing for the challenge of longer distances.

With only a few months of lonely 'training' (running happily around country lanes is probably not really classed as training) under my belt I perhaps still have the opportunity to prevent any bad practices turning into bad habits, given the right direction of course.

What better challenge for the good people at RW and Lucozade than to demonstrate their knowledge and techiniques on a willing novice with, who knows, hidden potential, caught early enough in his running career to mould and shape as only the experts would know.

I guess I'd be aiming for a sub- 2hr half-marathon (around 1hr 50m-55m) - I certainly think I have the endurance, admittedly unproven at that distance, but the real challenge would be to marry that endurance with a reasonable turn of pace .. your mission, if you choose to accept it, is clear.
  • Options
    Name: Hannah Foulkes

Running History:
    I started running during my final year of University (2005) when the combination of stodgy food and far too much alcohol meant I struggled to run the mile or so around Brompton Cementary in Fulham. I stuck with it and have completed two half marathons, in 2hours 25 and 2 hours 35 respectively. I have never been a speed demon and my story isnt one of true adversary or miracle weight loss, but I feel like I should still be called a runner, if only because the feeling of freedom and the break from the trudgy of london life is what keeps me on the pavements weeks after week......and yes, i do repeat that mantra when its too cold/too hot or I am just to lazy to get off the sofa. More often that not, it works....but i could do with that extra push to get me bitting on the heels of a 2 hour 15min half!

Goal:
    2hours 15mins. And the validation that I can call myself a runner.......and that having a subscription to runners world is right up my street!!
  • Options
    Tootie A wrote (see)
    You're right the disable email is not working on this thread. And my inbox is filling up too fast too. Sort it out please guys.

It will work, I promise you.

There is clearly an issue where multiple emails are being sent for each reply, so there are still some dregs within the email server that it needs to send to you before it will stop.

I understand the frustration, I have been there myself with this thread. image