Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: CC2 - Speedy Goth

Comments

• Options
    Bus blogging again! What an amazing day! Am now starving and cream crackered so wont turn on the computer tonight. Normal blog service will be resumed as soon as possible!
  • Options

Agree with you, great day today.

Did you notice the 400 Millwall supporters that got off my train, hence the huge police presence, that was a weird experience.

Good luck and enjoy the Robin Hood tommorrow.

• Options
    Good luck in the race tomorrow Catherine!
  • Options
    Best of luck today CC2! image
  • Options

I second that! Hope it goes well.image

• Options

I'm back!

I don't know where to start. Do I go chronologically or do I pretend to be a time lord like Bryan?

OK, one thing at a time. Yesterday. I got up at stoopid o'clock and headed down to London. 5 hours and 20 minutes after I set off I finally arrived at Lee Valley, having met up with Sue and Tracy along the way. (OK. so at least 10 mins of that was spent walking in the wrong direction, but never mind eh?!). We got there and Liz Yelling was stood in the corner of the room. It took me a few minutes to get over being star struck but then it was fine. Liz is so lovely and down to earth.

The others have already given detailed descriptions of the talks, so I won't repeat it. Suffice to say it was fascinating and I have to learn positive mental attitude and not stand on the start line like everyone else saying 'oh, I don't know, I've got this niggle and that niggle etc etc'. I must stand there and say 'I feel great, I am fully prepared and have done everything that is within my control to be the best I can be today'. Might take a while to get that!

The track session was 3 mins at half mara pace followed by 1 min of 1 min faster than HM pace, times 4, with 3 min recoveries. Steve suggested doing the middle two at Sue's pace so as not to wear myself out before today's race. At one point I heard Liz say 'fantastic running, excellent change of pace'. Yay! Liz Yelling thinks my running is fantastic image. I'm sure she would have said that even if I'd been doing rubbish though image.

Then we had to do video diaries. I hope to god I never see mine. I was awful. There is no career for me infront of the camera!!!

Time was running out for Sue and I to catch our train so we had to head off before the day was quite wrapped up, but did still get our books signed by Liz. That was such a nice gesture.

A huge thanks to Liz, Martin, Steve, the guys at Lucozade and the guys at Runner's World. It was a truly amazing day.

• Options

Sue and I caught our train and made our way back to St Pancras, where the Police presence was just as scary as it had been when I arrived. Some football thing it would seem. My train came first and I got on it, looking forward to settling down with my book. I got on and spotted a familiar hair cut ahead of me. It was my friend Adam from Sheffield. It turns out he'd been to London for a club night, and not only had we booked the same carriage of the same train, but we were sat opposite each other. How freaky! So I didn't get much reading done!

I realised I had no food in the house so looked for somewhere in town, but the only places open at 8.30pm on a saturday night are dodgy kebab shops so I had to settle for a tuna pasta salad from the little Tesco at the bottom of my street.

Fell into the bath like a zombie, packed my kit bag and set the alarm clock for another early start today.

• Options

When the alarm went off I sooooo didn't want to get out of bed. It took me way longer than usual to get dressed and I ended up having to wolf my porridge down at quarter to 8.

Pete turned up at 8am and we headed down to the race site. Must have been early as we got there before the club tent! In it's absence I wondered off to dump one of my bags at the kit store and to say hi to Tommy at the Lucozade tent. Who should I meet there but Mick the Mackem! Sadly I didn't see him again, I hope he got on alright.

Got back to the tent pitch to find it had arrived and been erected while I was gone, so dumped my other bag and jacket in there. Eventually it was time for a short jog, those drills that Liz showed us yesterday and a few strides before heading over to the start line.

The race started late, which was a bit annoying, but finally we were off.

• Options

I started my watch on the start line. At least, I thought I had, but I looked at it a little while later and it still said 00:00. Bugger! So I started it probably 10 - 20 seconds late.

The thing I hate about big races, is that even if you stand a bit further towards the front than you should do, there are always people ahead of you who are clearly delusional. I kid you not, there were two women walking within the first 200m - and they were only doing the relay so only 2 miles or so. Seriously, that really really annoys me. Within the first half mile I had passed all manner of 'runners' wearing jumpers, trackie bottoms and tennis shoes. At mile 1 I passed a very large man who was puffing harder than I would be at mile 13. Dear oh dear! Still, it is at least entertaining!

The field didn't spread out for quite some time. Maybe I started too far back? Anyway, I did a lot of weaving until about 3 miles. We got to the university much quicker than I had remembered (I'd told a girl on the start line that the big hill in there was mile 7, oops, was only about mile 5!). Quite a few club members were around this area and there was a lot of support. It's great to hear 'come on Redhill' every couple of minutes!

There were a couple of girls running together, one had capri tights and a jacket on but despite being clearly overdressed, was obviously a capable runner. Anyhow, I would pass them on the uphills and they would come charging past on the downhills and level ground. I was singing Another One Bites The Dust to myself everytime I caught and passed a woman, but didn't bother for those two after a while! Anyway, there is a big climb in Wollaton Park and I dropped them for good on that one.

We got to 9 miles and from then on it is mostly downhill. I had had two full pouches of Luzozade and was feeling fine. Derby Road is a little bit up an down, but I was passing quite a few on here, including my clubmate Steve. We turned the corner at 10 miles and started to head downhill. Suddenly I got a pain in the back of my ribs on the left hand side. Kind of like a stitch but in the wrong place. It was really painful but as I was going downhill I figured I ignore it and just keep churning the legs over. Along the flat it was really troubling me as I couldn't breathe properly, so I borrowed Liz's mantra - relax and strong, relax and strong.

At about 11 miles a runner was flat out face down on the pavement, with a few spectators attending to him. I hope he is OK. I saw the ambulance a little further down, but it was having trouble getting down the course.

We turned a corner to the last drink's station (water only at this one). I took a couple of gulps and pushed up the little hill. This seemed to clear the strange pain in my back and suddenly I could breathe again, so I pushed on to pass Steve again, as he'd snuck past while I was suffering.

• Options

Mile 12 came and I was still passing a lot of people, though some were now passing me too. Along the final straight I was gaining on a girl in hideous brown shorts. Every time I got up on her shoulder she would put on a little spurt that she clearly couldn't sustain, and would slow down again. Of course I would then catch her again and she'd do it again. I found it highly amusing and I knew full well that I would beat her as she clearly wouldn't be able to pull out a long sprint finish.  We turned the corner into the field and the finish line was about 300m away. I shifted up a gear and flew past her, beating her by a  good 50m. How very satisfying!

So the time? Well, since I didn't start my watch on the start line I can't be sure. But it was definately a PB as the gun time was in the region of 1.36.30 and it took a while to get across the line.

The Garmin says:-

1. 7.28 (see the nice slow start there Steve!)
    2. 7.20
    3. 7.09
    4. 7.17
    5. 6.57 (oops, where did that come from?! Think it must have been downhill!)
    6. 7.44 (most definately up hill in the University)
    7. 7.05
    8. 7.23 (up hill in Wollaton Park)
    9. 7.26
    10. 7.08
    11. 7.14 (downhill, but this is where the stitch-like pain kicked in)
    12. 7.07
    13. 7.11
    13.19  1.07 (5.54 pace)

The Garmin has my time at 1.35.35, but it will be nearer to 1.36 in reality. Avg pace 7.15.

• Options

I'm absolutely over the moon to have run that time with no taper. It gives me the confidence that I actually can get 1.35 at the Great North. Last year I took over a minute off my Robin Hood time at the Great North so I know it can be done. The only thing that worries me is that we are starting at the front, so I won't be held back by the crowds and may go off too quickly. Also I won't have targets ahead of me all the way round to focus on. Instead there'll be speedy types passing me.

Maybe I should slip back to Zone B just before the race starts!

• Options

Well done Catherine - sounds like you had a good race!!

Imagine seeing a large man puffing at mile 1 - can't imagine how that could happen.

Great pic of you and Liz and don't worry about the GNR start, if you need somebody to slow you down just stick with me.

See you in a few weeks.

• Options

Wow CC2, that's such a good time - and in pain too! That PMA stuff really works.

Hope you get a better feed tonight & plenty of sleep.

• Options

well done. Good pacing. Strong finish. if you can have a slightly more restful day before (no track sessions!), the weather is kind and you don't go off too fast, then sub 1:35 looks very doable.

I would still use your elite status to get off to a good start, but you will have to be controlled, but as the first mile is downhill, you shouldn't be able to do too much damage even with a sub-7 first mile as long as you adjust the pace on the second.

• Options

I suspect that on the day, speedy will be far too competetive with the once in a lifetime opportunity to start at the front to even think about not going off too fast  image

Well done on your personal best CC2 - perhaps you will get another one in three weeks?  I definitely will!  image

At least you won't have to worry about us slow coaches and walkers getting in your way image

• Options
    Great race - great report... you should be well made up with that Speedy! I might use you to pace off at GNR!!!
  • Options

Excellent result Catherine

Nottingham is by no means an easy half marathon, the hills are tough and too many, made me swear last year. To get such a good PB is a real morale boost.  Well Done, you can be deservedly proud of that. Hot on Jason's heels at the GNR.

• Options

Excellent race report CC2 - sounds like the 1:35 is well within your grasp - hopefully you'll be able to get round the GNR that bit quicker image

Cracking piccie btw - sounds like the super six had a fanstatic day with Liz! 

• Options
    I do feel a bit silly being the front runner you know!! I don't see it that way myself - I'm in my own bubble (like Liz said). I'm sure you all are too...
  • Options

Great running Catherine and fab report. Loved the picture of you and Liz. I am off to update my blog but I don't think I can add anything more than you and the others have put. Looks like the boss is happy with your 1:35:50 image.

Great to see you yesterday, DT.

• Options

Brilliant reading CC2 - and that's a lovely picture of you and Liz.

Bet you can't wait for the start of the GNR now!

• Options

LOL, you all knew my result before I did! I was in the pub scoffing a huge plate of pasta and chicken and indulging in a couple of glasses of red wine.

I've just spent ages totting up the results and I'm pretty sure we got first ladies team in the half marathon. We had the first four runners home of any team, and our cumulative times are faster whether you count gun or chip. I don't know how they work it out, but it certainly looks good for some vouchers!

• Options

Reading KGL's blog reminded me that I should write up how I tried to apply saturday's session to sunday's race.

As well as doing the warm up drills I had a go at the whole PMA (positive mental attitude) thing. Well, sort of. In my head I felt anything but great, I was over tired. But when people asked me how I was feeling I said 'it's only a long training run for me, so I feel great!'. I almost convinced myself!

Nutrition-wise I had my porridge for breakfast with a glass of water and a cappucino. An hour before the race I had a bottle of Lucozade caffeine boost, twenty minutes before I had a carbo gel with some water. I took a few sips of water at each of the four water stations, and drank the whole pouch of Lucozade at each of the two Lucozade stations. I felt strong right up until the last half mile, when maybe the second pouch had started to wear off. I think it worked really well and I had no intestinal issues whatsoever. After the race I had two cups of water at the finish line, then my Lucozade Recovery. Over the next couple of hours while spectating I had a bottle of Lucozade Raspberry and a bottle of water and very quickly I was urinating straw colour so my hydration must have been good. I'd also polished off all of the food from the goody bag (bar of fairtrade chocolate, bag of crisps, packet of dried fruit) as well as a Lucozade energy bar within hours of finishing!

Anyhow, there was no pressure on me to perform yesterday, which may have contributed to me doing rather better than expected. The same happened at last year's GNR when I had no intention of going for a PB but got a massive one. That time I took a minute and 10 seconds off. Yesterday I took 1 minute and 8 seconds off. There's a lot to be said for having no expectations of a race!

Just need to shave off another 51 seconds on the next one. How many seconds per mile is that?

• Options

Sounds like your hydration and nutiriton was spot on. I have a hilly 10k race next Sunday and I will try and concentrate on starting this race properly fuelled as this has always been a bit hit and miss with me.

Took a carb gel on my long 13 mile run yesterday with no adverse reaction and had a good run, will try some of your tips and see if it works for me.

• Options
    Did anyone hear about the runner who collapsed and died at the finish line yesterday?, really very sad.
  • Options

very sorry to hear.

Catherine it's just 3.9 seconds a mile for that sub 1:35.

Agree there was less pressure yesterday but it's the same distance and you'll be much better prepared and you can use the pressure in a positive way. Ie wanting to run well so you can tell everyone about it.

You will be in the best shape of your life and be at your peak both physically and mentally and as long as you can control the nerves to run sensibly, then I am sure you will have a great run

• Options

And there are fewer hills!

Yes Rach, I heard about the guy who died. Just 28 years old. They haven't said what happened yet, just that he had finished the half marathon in just under 2 hours then collapsed in the first aid tent. Such a shame. My thoughts are with his family.