Options

Bath Half-Marathon 2009

Last year I was annoyed about the price.

This year, like many other runners, I was a tad dischuffed (great word!) about the horrible weather and what seemed like some really poor organisation.
Having looked at the feedback from Andy Taylor and the positive outcome from a lot of the effort put in,it really looks as though 2009 could well be the year that Bath returns to it's rightful place in the top 5 of Halfs in the country.

Good luck to all who have or will be entering and best wishes to all involved in the organisation!

Comments

• Options

Won't be entering this year. Last year has put me off completely, and I'll watch with interest to see how much improvement happens before risking my hard earned cash on it again.

Shame really because it's a really well supported race and very flat.

Just can't afford to pay twice over for train fares

• Options

Kwilter

Good to see you on here.Back to the person underneath now!!

• Options
    Well despite having serious reservations after the pre-race troubles last year, it did yield my fastest half from the last 15 years of running, so I think I'll be back for another go.
  • Options

Good luck marmite, hope it is better than this year's organisation.

Don't know how I managed it, but I got a better time in my local half 8 weeks later, depsite needing to walk up a couple of hills.

• Options

Well I'm going!! I started the thread 'Bath Half Marathon - Debacle? after the 2008 race and I never received an entry form for 2009 or a feedback form for the 2008 race. Which the cynic in me found a tad strange. But anyway I'm booked in for the 2009 race and it really is the last time I'll do the Bath Half if the event can't cope  with rain, first aid tents, goodie bags etc. So I really hope the organisers have learnt from the very poor organisation of last year and made some big improvements?

• Options

Mmm..........I was considering entering this as it's not too far to get to from Taunton but some of you guys don't seem to have had a good experience.  I'll pay their extortionate entry fee once in order to do the race, once.  But if the organisation is not good then I may just hold back.

Have just done Great South Run (another over priced event) but the organisation is excellent and they can't control the weather!!!

What do you folk suggest re Bath?

• Options
    OO-eer! I've just read the other threadimage
  • Options

I did the Great South Run and yes it was brilliant I thought. I've doen both the GSR and the Balf half for a number of years but I though this years GSR was one of the best I have ever been in. But yes its another expensive race, but in the case of the GSR you get what you pay for.

To be fare if the GSR had the rain that Bath had on the Saturday and Saturday night Southsea common would have been a mudbath like the Bath Rec was last year. However the GSR was meticoulsy organsied and they seem to be able to cope with increased numbers every year.

The Bath race director seems to be making all the right noises about 2009 so I'm giving him another chance. They won't be abe to solve all the issues but at least if they sort the goodie bags out and start on time it would be a big improvement on 2008.  I'd say if it ago if you're brave or leave it until 2010 if you want to be 100% certain before you committ.

• Options

Thanks PB,

Now trying to decide between Bath and FoD image

• Options

Never done the Bath Half but i'm thinking about doing it in 2009 but no one seems to have anything good to say about it, what's been the problem with it over the past few years . . .? ?

• Options
    GAVIN WATCYNS wrote (see)

Never done the Bath Half but i'm thinking about doing it in 2009 but no one seems to have anything good to say about it, what's been the problem with it over the past few years . . .? ?

Greed.

Far too many entrants, and resulting chaotic organisation. Make sure you're a fast runner or you're likely to miss out on a goody bag.

• Options

Support the smaller races!! They are cheaper, friendlier and usually better organised. And its usually a club that does the organsing.

OKM they might not all have the elusive PB potential, but they are, IMO, a better bet.

• Options
    Might give it wide berth, souns like a rat race to me, and travelling from South Wales an expensive rate race at that ! cheers people image
  • Options

GW

The Forest of Dean half is the same day and suggested as an alternative to Bath.

I'm beginning to lean that way................

• Options
    You could organise an excellent PB half out around the Curry Mallet area?!!
  • Options

Hi guys,

Just to warn anyone still thinking about applying for a general public entry for next year's Bath Half that the race is nearly full & we are now down to a handful of entries remaining, so don't delay !!

• Options
    I did the Forest of Dean half last year and it was great. Better scenery, cheaper and from the sounds of it, happier all round. A few of my friends are doin Bath in 09 and i was thinkin of joining them but have now decided to do the forest again, hills and all!
  • Options
    TownerTowner ✭✭✭

i did Bath this year and am doing it again in '09 i think ,really,  it was the rain that caused most of the problems, if it was a warm sunny day it wouldnt have been such a pain waiting for the start and the rec wouldnt have been a swamp! (which put people on a downer from the start) having said that, the finsh line and goody bag distribution was awful but i understand that there are improvements made for next years race.

oh yea, £30 odd is extortionate!!image

• Options

Really the cost doesn't come into it other than a comparison against what is delivered.  For a big event that sort of figure is now the norm .......... it's the way of the world!  Though I can't see runners becoming the mugs that football fans now are, they complain like hell about the cost of going to a match, their clubs shirt, pay per view and the amount paid to 'star' players................. but still they religiously follow and pay for their team, week after week!!!!  Really can't see runners paying for sub standard event for very long, no matter if its £30 or £10!

Because of the hype and kudos of big city events I don't doubt Bath will be full again, possibly a little slower in filling, maybe a few less 'regulars' but it will probably fill.  Everybody will be watching and if it isn't a lot better than previous years future Bath halves will suffer.  I hope they sort it, it used to be a great event and it deserves to be again ........... but (I'll say it again), the roadway through from the Rec to the start is only so wide and will only cope with so many people, the whole start / finish area is inadequate and has been for quite a few years, so upping the entry year on year was a contibuting factor to the debacle of 08, it was waiting to happen.

• Options
    15,000 x £30 means more money in the pocket than 10,000 x £30. It's a business not there for the benefit of runners. Sorry if I'm cynical but there are some big salaries to be paid.
  • Options
    TownerTowner ✭✭✭
    yea, you're right HG, just seems pretty poor value, (still run every year though, so not sure why im moaning)
  • Options
    Come on HG - be fair !!  The price of race entries continues to rise as the cost of staging events continues to rise.  Larger city centre races cost more to stage than smaller country lane races.  No-one is taking 'big salaries' or making big profits out of these races - get real !!  We all do it for the love of it.  If a race can cover its costs & pay wages over 5 years it's doing well - but very few are .... We never put cost above the safety or comfort of runners.  What did you say in your 2006 review of the race 'Very well organised'
  • Options
    BHRD I am sure you are right about the prices rising everywhere and I would never suggest that you do not put safety of runners at the top of your list. I last did the race in 2006 (injured in 2007 and away in 2008) and I agree with my comment re 2006. But that was then. Entries have more than doubled since then and from reports on here the organisation has suffered. Re the comment about salaries I am sure I saw an advert for an assistant director (or similar) after last years race and an awful lot of people would be glad of that salary. 
  • Options

HG.  Sorry you feel like that, but safety the safety of our customers has always been our first priority, regardless of cost.  The delay at this year's start was most unfortunate, we were let down by a key contractor, but one young man would not be alive today if we hadn't waited until everything was ready.

As for entries, the expansion of the race in recent years has been carefully planned and in response to customer demand.  We had 10,000 entries when you last ran in 2006, and there will be 15,000 entries in 2009, by my maths that's a 50% increase - somewhat less than 'more than doubled'.

We never publish staff salaries when we advertise for vacancies, but they are comparable within the events industry.  Its an open application process, so anyone with relevant qualifications and experience is welcome to apply. Would you expect anything less ? 

• Options
    My apologies re 2006. I based it on 6,000 finishers - not on 10,000 entries.
  • Options

I would like to publicly apologise for anything I have said that implied or may have implied that the management of the Bath Half Marathon has in any way been negligent in regards to public safety. Specifically in connection with the tragic death of Anna Loyley in 1998.

I had stated previously (in comments now removed) that I was not directing any blame and was only questioning the limiting factors relating to the start area. I am truly sorry if this has caused any upset to friends and family of Anna and the Bath Half Marathon team.

I would also like to wish the Bath Half Marathon management every success for 2009 and the future.

Martin Monaghan

NB: It seems the thread relevant to this apology has been removed, therefore I have posted it on currently active threads that I can find.

• Options

Thanks Moe.  Appreciated.

Let's concentrate on making next year's race a great one to remember, for all the right reasons

• Options

Andrew,

I have been trying to mail you direct but it fails immediately I send.

• Options
    If the increase in numbers has been carefully planned, I shudder to imagine what could have occurred if it had been done randomly.  Quite apart from the sea of mud, delayed start, etc. this year, what about the narrow finish area with marshalls shouting to move when you were crushed together so it was impossible, the dangerous crush in front of the Rugby Club when everyone was trying to leave (lady in front of me fainted when we hadn't been able to move for over 10 minutes) - all due to increasing numbers without thought for entrance/exit arrangements.  It wasn't just this year either, the poor finish area, crush in front of the Rugby Club etc were there in 2007 as well - AND that year they put my bag in the wrong place despite me giving it in where I was supposed to.  By the time I managed to see it myself I was shivering and my friends were frantic trying to find me.  Maybe the lesson to be learned is not to enter races organised by companies who have to make a profit, stick with clubs who only need to cover their costs and know what runners want.   I gave Bath a second chance after 2007 but never, never again
  • Options

The problems faced in 2008 have been well documented & discussed on this & other forums -  extreme weather conditions (causing damage & cancellation to a number of other prestigious events - including the Cheltenham Gold cup the week before), non-attendance of a key contractor & over-demand for park & ride.  Significant extra resources will be provided next year to ensure these problems will not be repeated.  Maybe its time now to draw a line under 2008 & move forward ??

It's a big city centre race - the second largest half marathon in the UK last year (after the Great North Run), it will be crowded, you need to follow signage & allow extra time to find your way around the venue.

Lets not go into the debate again into large city centre races vs small club organised events, please !!! surely there's a place for both.

Lazybones - sorry you won't be joining us again in 2009 & I quote from your own review of the 2007 Bath Half : - 'Excellent race.  Well organised. Friendly marshalls. No loo queues. Nice t-shirt and in correct size. Loads of car parking. What more can anyone want from a race?!! Overall a great race which I will do again. Thanks to all concerned'