Options

The Paras 10 mile race

The Paras 10 is the best running event I have ever done so far. Fantastic setting, marshalls everywhere, mile markers, great atmosphere.... 10 out of 10.

Comments

• Options
    Was it for really speedy people?  I signed up for it but chickened out.  I do 10 miles in about 10min miles.  I knew there was a 3 hour cut off but didn't know if the 'endurance' nature of it meant that that would in reality translate into 20 min miles?!?!?!?  On the day I just didn't want to risk trailing hours behind everyone...  I'd be interested to know though, for next year (if they do it again).
    Thanks.
  • Options
    I normally run 8 mn mile in easy training, did the Paras at 7.8 mn mile...
    The course is very up and down, with some very steep descents, and at least one very hard hill at 9 miles which a lot of people were walking up, but I managed to keep running...
    I thought it was a very good field, despite what the other guy said in his post... But then I am more used to triathlons then only run races so he may be right.
    But I would say to you, have a look at the Paras training plan on their website. And if you feel you can come inside the 3 hrs then go for it! Doesn't matter whether you beat it by 30 secs or an hour really does it? Run for yourself, enjoy it, and who cares what other people think of your time!
    Good luck,hope you make it next year... Entries are already open for 09 I think!!!! I will do it with boots and bergens next year and try for the 1hr50 cut off time... image
  • Options
    Blimey - boots and bergen.  I'll wave as you pass me!  Will definitely enter for 09 - thanks for the info, I feel more confident that it is something I could do.  I don't mind taking 3 hours to do it if that's what it takes, but it would bother me if everyone else finished in 2 hours and everyone had to wait around for an extra hour to wait for me to plod in!  But it sounds as if I would get in not far outside my usual running pace, so should definitely be in under 2 hours.  And a whole year of training to go!  I wish I had turned up this year now.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine ran it and didn't think it was too tough apart from one short hill that he had to scramble up. Mind you he wasn't doing the boots and bergen version.
  • Options

TriFrog - Do you need to provide your own boots and bergen or is it provided? (complete with weights)

I would have thought that 'borrowing' a pair of army issue boots is a recipe for disaster? I would like to give the full boots and bergen a shot this year and any advice on boot/bergen issue would be helpful.

I assume that you provide your own boots and if so, what type of boot do you go for?

• Options

Well the Naval Reserve has issued me with my boots and full kit, but not a laden bergen. Will one be provided? Think i might just about make it in under 3 hours in full kit, not sure about the 1h50 though

R

• Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

Really fancy this, but whats all this 1.50 cut off time? and where can i get a Bergen and what advise re weighting it up whats best?

• Options

Eastham, The 1 hour 50 is the "pass" time for the Paras. You have 3 hours to get round, but people obviously want the magic 1 hour 50 to achieve the Paras time.

Get a bergen with a bit of lumbar support if you can, & some padding on the shoulders. There are loads of army type ones on ebay, though I got one from Argos with good support.

I put weights in, wrapped in towels.

Get it up high on your shoulders, & build up the weight gradually. image

• Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

All entered have a team of 5 of us from my office doing it.

Sorted the ruck sack as well my neice lent me hers from the army cadets just boots to organize now. 

• Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    been trying to findthe face book group with out sucess.
  • Options
    This looks tempting....

10 miles in 1hr 50 is going some isnt it ? I know there is a three hour time limit - but you'd want to aim for that wouldnt you ?
  • Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

yep thats the idea, i just read the report from last years RW December issue by Mathew Ray he desribes it as Chilling.

this is going to be so different to any normal run that ive done

• Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

Boots sorted christ how the hell will i be able to run in these let alone run ten miles with the ruck sack on my back!!

Link to www.the-outdoor.co.uk

Current Issue Assault Boots

Soldier 95 Issue
    Black Leather Upper
    Welted Sole
    USED Grade 1 Condition
    9 Hole Eyelets & Speed Lace System

• Options

I've got hanwag special forces gtx boots.  Done a bit of hiking in them and started running in them earlier this year.  Been running 5-6 miles on road (grass wherever it's available) to get used to them and no blisters so far.  Very comfortable, just heavier than trainers and therefore knackering.  But no extra aches & pains so that's a good sign.

Got a karrimor delta 35 rucksack today which looks pretty comfortable and seems to be designed for carrying weight at speed.  Not run with this yet but will start on Monday with 5kg (and boots) over 6 miles and see how I go.  Then I need to gradually increase the distance & weight, which should make things interesting...

I did hellrunner last year in 1:35, and the para 10 course sounds easier (not as many hills), but the boots & bergen change the rules somewhat.

I'm aiming for the magic 1:50, but if I finish it I'll be happy regardless of the time!

• Options

This is a FANTASTIC race.  I can't rate it highly enough, it was just brilliant.

It's tough but onlyin a 'regular' tough way, not a super-duper tough way. If that makes sense. The hill at 9 miles is ridiculously steep but only short. 

Nowhere near as bad as Hellrunner Tony! Mind you, I took the bergen-less (sensible!) option.. 

Gutted that I can't do it this year as my best friend is getting married in London the night before image Have fun everyone!

• Options

Thanks Tutu, that's reassuring - the now infamous "hill at 9 miles" was starting to give me the nadges!

I know I can handle hellrunner - which is to date the toughest event I've done, so now it's just a matter of how much harder boots & a 35lb bergen can make a 10-mile offroad run.

I'm guessing a lot...

• Options
    Hm, yeah probably..! But on the plus-side, you won't have the freezing, muddy bogs to contend with! Hellrunner was definitely the toughest thing I've done too, and yet strangely I find myself wanting to enter again this year image
  • Options
    done it last year just running in 1hr 8 min going to do it this year with the 35lbs great run can not wait to get backimage its a good testing run but not too hard
  • Options
    Two weeks to go and counting, Just did 10 mile with the fully monty on, felt great, not bad time 2hrs 10mins and thats pluging away over numerous ploughed fields.  See you all there and keep smiling!
  • Options
    As anyone got their number and race packs yet?
  • Options
    No not yet Roller, and I am waiting for  rply from the organisor.  though I do not hold out much hope as they never got back to me last time!
  • Options
    Just spoken to Sports Systems who are providing the chips and have been informed that they will be sent out this week.  They suggest that you go to www.sportsystems.net/paras10 for further info!
  • Options
    Just looked on the web site and seen the updated route map, it now includes waist high water and five tough looking hills!  where has this water come from no-one mentioned it before?
  • Options

Thanks Matthew,

This sounds better all the time !!

• Options
    Got my number today was sent to a fellow runners address.
  • Options
    Yeah got mine Monday, lets get it on!!
  • Options
    Hi - apologies for the late post but I'm in the sh*t. My lift to the Paras 10 has let me down and I'm pretty sure that there will be no public transport on a Sunday.

Does anyone know how I can get to the event if I head north from Milton Keynes on Saturday? Any solutions much appreciated, lifts along the way etc. Will contribute to travel costs but I dont want to miss this.

Thanks,

Paul
  • Options
    the pain bearer it brings misfortune too the weak ! good luck sunday everyone
  • Options
    the deed has been done what a great day 10 miles off road 37lbs rucksack and a pair of boots . come a well pleased 8th place @ 1hr 21:35 hope everyone had a good run will be back next year to get that time down & the main one to help the heroes