Options

The Paras 10 mile race

2»

Comments

• Options

Back from a very long Weekend drove up and Watched the Wigan game,Then to Huddersfield for dinner and watched the Yids loose to Man Utd,then to the Hotel
    An early breakfast and then to Catterick garrison, this race has grown from 400 t0 2000 runners in a year,
    the atmosphere was amazing loads of sqaddies and old soilders.the first 3 miles were off road on gravel we started on smallis hills up and down with 35lb on by back then the hills got longer and then steaper and made harder as they wer just loose gravel and rock after the last water hazard and steap hill at 8 miles we headed for home and a 150 yard run to the finish line. this is truely the hardest race that i have ever done i finished in 2 hours 03 not bad for a 50 year old.
    Thanks for all the sponcership taking into account my company matching my sum raised for H4H i should have close to £700.

Adam is that really 1 hour? are you taking the piss?

• Options
    Great day out, great event, great people!  Couple of gripes though I'm affraid, I saw one lad race in trainers with Bergen? Think we shoould have at least got a different T or medal for the P Company challenge and last but certainly not least I have been goining on the SPORTS SYSTEMS web page for the results and they only show the first 350 finishers up to 1hr 45 mins, where are the rest of us? I know I made it inside the golden 1hr 50min and there were hundreds behind me!!!!!!!
  • Options

Well done everyone especially those who managed to get the sub 1.50

agree i see loads with began but running it what to me were just walking trainers that covered the ankles but still alot easier that wearing the heavy army boots.

• Options

Just checked the full results i was 840th

Adam that time is amazing just seen you on the results i find it hard to believe  that anyone can run that in boots and with the back pack in 1.20 

Respect mate.

• Options
    Eastham75 where did you get the results? Like Matthew said in his post before I can only see the finishers up to 350.
  • Options
    The results have all appeared, see above link, came 402 in 1hr 46min 44 seconds.  Cool!
  • Options

I 'only' ran it and that was bad enough. 1 hr 11 minutes.

I helped my mates bag back to the car and nearly squashed myself. image

• Options

i see Entries are being taken for 2010 anyone doing it again?

• Options

You betcha !!

I get paid next week and then my first job is entering again.

• Options

This was possibly the best race I have run for a long time. I did the P company challenge in 1hr 40. There was more flat and downhill running than I expected. Most of my training was pounding up hills at as fast a walk as I could. If I ever do it again I'll run more. Fell at 5 miles trying to drink as I was running downhill. No skin on my knee or right hand now. Moral of this: don't drink running downhill.

I would recommend this race to anyone. I got a good gym programme from an instructor for core stability and upper body strength that I used for about 3 months. By the race date I'd found a six pack!!

Excellent race!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

What a great event! i came in at 1 hr 29 having never run in boots or with a bergen until the start!!! I am going to sign up for 2010 as i think if I train in boots carrying a bergen I can get the time to sub 1 hr 20.

I competed in Tough Guy in Jan and July, I was more exhausted and ached more after the para10!

• Options

The PARA 10 was hard work but I  kept to my training plan and managed 1.40 most of my training was 5 miles on hills and one 9 mile run with gradually increasing weight, I was hoping to get 1.50 so I was really pleased with 1.40 but I had to push hard all the way. I do not think I could personally go any faster, getting a bit old, it was a great feeling when I crossed the line, I think  everyone who completed the challenged regardless of time should be proud of thier achievement, I think we all should have got a maroon T shirt on finishing

Great Day

• Options
    My names in looking forward to this.
  • Options
    A race report is on the club news page of www.dk10k.co.uk
  • Options

Andrew agree dont know why but i was a bit dissapointed when i see the white T shirt.

• Options
    Great report Brian,
  • Options
    Afer doing hellrunner last year i thought I would'nt do a run as tough again until I did the paras 10. When I finished the run I said never again but after a couple of days rest I am ready to try and beat my time! I was hoping to come in around the 1hr 50 mark and was over the moon to come in at 1hr 36 been the first time doing a race in boots and having weight on my back. I would recommend this race to anyone looking for a challenge, the support you get is brill and cant wait till next year.
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Guys, do keep in mind that those lads go through a hell of a lot more to where their maroon berets and tshirts! I think you should be happy with a white one image

we did 10 miles fresh with 35lb bergen and boots... these boys do the P company challenges towards the end of their training, they will have done plenty of running in various forms of kit, over various distances in all weathers and all times of the day, plus they may have preceeded the 10 miler with the stretcher race, log race and steeplechase! they are highly likely to be deprived of sleep, have been run ragged and they also have the extra weight of carrying  a weapon round thats got to be another 10lb! Yes, to run sub 1.50 was a real achievment but having run it yourselves you should be able to respect just how tough it is when those boys do it for real!

check this link out, it lists the p company test week :

http://www.theparas.co.uk/pcoy.html

WiB!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hiya everyone,

Does anyone have any recommendations on this race since 2009? My brother has just signed up and is looking for some hints and tips.