Options

ben nevis triathlon 2009

2»

Comments

• Options
    is there a date for this event next year Wicks?? I still think it might clash with something else that's brewing (and I've committed to) but if I knew the date, then I could make a decision as it does have some appeal
  • Options

Dunno, FB.  This year it was 20 September.  If they're holding it on a Saturday, the corresponding date next year would be Saturday 19 Sept.

Brewing? I assume if I ask, you won't tell...... right? image

• Options
    yes - I won't tell....... image

'cept it's on the 12th Sep and me and the good lady were going to take a week off after so if this BN thing is on the 19th, then it will be a no go sadly.......

bummer

• Options
    'On' the 12th, or 'finishing on' the 12th?  I've seen a lovely little stage race that finishes on 12 Sept-09.  Make for a cracking holiday too, but the family may not see it that way.... image
  • Options
    no - ON the 12th....
  • Options

If flying, remember that it's a good hour's drive from Inverness to FW.

I've looked into all the various options and always end up driving. Flying makes bike transport more of an issue and means you need a way of getting you and your bike from Inverness to FW (assuming you haven't got all your luggage in a rucksack and are going to just cycle to FW - scenic route but maybe not what you want just before a race). The train costs a fortune but is quite convenient if you can get to London - the Caledonian Sleeper runs straight from Euston to Fort William, leaving 9ish at night from London and getting you to FW for breakfast.

For me the car is the best in terms of cost, convenience and flexibility (but that's mainly because I've got a wife and 2 kids to transport...)

• Options
    theres loads of time for him to get the head to organise a training day on the Friday and then he can drive up Thursday eveningimage
  • Options

mmm sleeper train

happy days SVT.....!

• Options

Oh bless.  A sleeper train.  I'd feel like an Agatha Christie character.

(as in, one from her books - not me dressing in floppy hats and Laura Ashley prints)

• Options

but that's mainly because I've got a wife and 2 kids to transport...

Make em go 2nd class..........

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)
    theres loads of time for him to get the head to organise a training day on the Friday and then he can drive up Thursday eveningimage

Nice idea Seren but 2 probs, 1, being its a new Head just started and he's not a sporty chap and 2, its september a  couple of weeks back into term, not a hope of a training day image  We all get pay docked if we miss an inset day too!

Anyhooo hows things?  How the AT doing after the other weekend?  Hope your good!

• Options
    DIM Wickett wrote (see)

Oh bless.  A sleeper train.  I'd feel like an Agatha Christie character.

(as in, one from her books - not me dressing in floppy hats and Laura Ashley prints)

But you'd suit the floppy hat and LA prints so well!  I ran it passed him last night and he just laughed at me!!  I've a feeling Swansea airport might fly that way now and maybe Cardiff.....  I look into it...  I think he'd really enjoy it.  He did say the words 'its to close to IMUK' though image    I'm trying to persuade him to do the IM as otherwise he'll never forgive himself for not and I think if your gonna do it get it done rather than procrasinate over it image easy for me to say image
  • Options

IMUK?  I don't have time for little sprint events like that.....

Or some other excuse.

• Options
    DIM Wickett wrote (see)

IMUK?  I don't have time for little sprint events like that.....

Or some other excuse.

I know a mear wonder in the park for the likes of you, why would you waste your time image  You can always support in your double T'shirt....  If its not totally worn out by then!!! image
  • Options

You need a double t-shirt? Been putting some weight on since your last race?

Careful, or you'll never fit into your Laura Ashley.

• Options

If flying, remember that it's a good hour's drive from Inverness to FW.

I would give it 2 hours, its a good 1:30 from inverness and the airport is about 15 mins outside of town. Then you need to cross inverness to get onto the fort william road.

My sis looked to book the sleeper recently to go to london, 2 adults+2 kids was goingg to e £600 !!  

• Options
    Fair point - I think it generally takes me a little over an hour to the centre of Inverness, but that's with a clear road. And there's a high risk of foreign drivers and/or caravans...
  • Options
    I was only on here to provide local knowledge by proxy, but I'm struggling to focus on any other race at the moment...
  • Options

Has anyone decided that they're definitely doing this race? 

I've entered the Wee Triathlon in 2 weeks time, which is a mere fraction of the big event.  I got a newsletter from the event organisers yesterday and I'm now seriously tempted to get training for the big one.  I've never done a triathlon before but don't tend to do things by halves!

I'm on a serious mission to get super-fit this year, without going to the gym, and this would certainly give me a focus.  I'm tracking my progress so far on my blog, http://fadfreefitness.blogspot.com/, but it's been a slow start.

If anyone else is up for the challenge, especially anyone else who is rubbish at swimming and mountain biking and not too hot at running, let me know!