Options

Bedford Harriers Half-Marathon

12346»

Comments

• Options

yes i bet

i would'nt appreciate sore K******S

I'm a twinge stiff - nothing much

I'm having the week off now, Phillip's just gone to day centre , then off to residential respite

we may go and run a 10k next week, but as it's such a short distance, will probably go run it quietly on our own first

to all of those first timers - WELL DONE - wishing you many more happy hours of running

• Options

Tim- No comment!

Graham - sounds like you had a positive experience for your first half. I notice somebody has just reviewed the race and marked it low for beginner friendliness saying that there were lots of club runners - what did you think?

Overall, although it seemed to be mainly club runners, I found the atmosphere very positive and uplifiting - had plenty of chats with people on the way around and only one which talked about times which I rapidly steered away from. The marshalls escpecailly were great and cheered the people who smiled the most - always good I reckon. 

• Options
    i'm a beginner - finished around 30th from last and while yes it felt a bit serious club runnery i found the whole atmosphere very friendly and supportive especially coming into the end when most people had finished the other runners shouting support as they went back to their cars.
  • Options

Tom

i posted a reply and lost the lot

i'll word pad and copy and paste in future

• Options
    Tom Craggs 2 wrote (see)
    Graham - sounds like you had a positive experience for your first half. I notice somebody has just reviewed the race and marked it low for beginner friendliness saying that there were lots of club runners - what did you think?

I would have thought that there would always be a lot of club runner's in races.  After all, they do the organising, don't they?

Personally I was given very good encouragement from some Marshalls who seemed to keep re-appearing around the course (unless I was running around in circles).  I didn't expect it, since they don't know me from Adam, but it's always nice to be acknowledged.  I didn't give top marks for beginner friendliness, but only because the course wasn't downhill all the way image

Just a thought......I find the marking a bit difficult at times, because I don't have much race experience and so I don't know how it compares to other races.  This could be a reason why marks are lower from beginners? 

By the way, I was inpressed with the speed of getting the results on the internet!!  Chip timing is excellent.

• Options

hmm perhaps, hadn't thought of that. I suppose the main things is you had a good time and enjoyed it, like me thats the point I suppose. I didn't give 100% for beginner friendliness either but I still thought it was very positive. Seemed to be a few marshalls on bikes who kept re-appearing and were great!

I suppose I was justing thinking that having a high proporation of club runners should not mean that a race is not beginner friendly. I run for a small running club, that's really friendly - competition or not and I always find it strange that often 'club runners' are thought of as seperate to 'beginner runners' when in fact the only difference is we've paid £25 or whatever it is and go along to a few training sessions and run in a vest..

micknphil - I have a tendancy to write long posts, and it's so annoying when you lose it all! - I'm glad you had such a good run as well.

• Options

Hi Graham

good point-  but there lots to it all and not easy to clarify on RW event voting

though you will gain race experience

• Options

This has probably been asked in forums one million times, but.....

How do I get my status to show that I have one race entry??!!  May sound petty, but I'm proud of my achievement and want to show the world image

Scoured FAQ section and help but don't know how to do it.... any help appreciated!

• Options

Hi Phil, I amy be wrong but I think this is only when you have entered at race via the runners world site??

If you want to monitor/log your achievements and race progress then you could try www.fetcheveryone.com

• Options
    Yes great race as ever. That's a couple of times in recent weeks that people have said races are for club runners !! I think this race has always been quite welcoming, Also Bedford Harrier might be a club but thyehave always catered for all standards.
  • Options

For me it was a 1.47.47 (my watch). Good run actually, a minute better than last year (although weather was much better). The sweatshirt was a first - always a good quality memento here. Saw Tim (Post his cuppa - I bet it was Hashette) and Return to Bletchley but had to dash down to the Race of Champions at Wembley.

• Options

Club shirts don't impress me much.   Anyone can join a running club and sport a garish vest.    What impresses me is those that don't take themselves too seriously and have a laugh.   

• Options
    Tom Craggs 2 wrote (see)

If you want to monitor/log your achievements and race progress then you could try www.fetcheveryone.com

Tom,

Thanks so much for the tip, it's a great website!  Macmillan have been on the phone today and I've got a guarenteed place for Paris next year!  I've pledged to raise £1,000 and in return they pay for everything so that's pretty sweet, I think I'll use that fetch website to keep me motivated.  At the moment the thought of having to do the Bedford half twice seems impossible!

Cheers mateimage

• Options

For those who do not know

- and have little experience in attending events like yesterday - any newbies example , anyone nervous or shy - don't be  

I can tell you now -

( Tim of MK ) & ( Brooks The beast ) are two of the best guys you could wish to meet - Hashette, she's changed name over festive hols - but she's also a star

Yes, they love what they do - buy they also encourage a sence of humour- of course they like a fast time like anyone else, but if they don't get it - then they don't -

you can talk to them seriously or just keep it completely fun

some i don't know as well - so please don't feel left out  

• Options

Oooh this was such a lovely HM! Did it in 2:05, only my second one but more than 11 minutes faster than my first one, so overall I'd say that this was a great course, with no hills to speak of, with lovely marshalls who encouraged me when I must have looked like I was going to throw up, and I felt it was a lovely atmosphere for beginners - especially at the back, everyone was sooo nice...

And also a huge thank you to the man in the hiviz tshirt with whom I ran most of the way (hem, I was much behind you in the last mile), I have no idea who you are, but you are the reason I ran so well - so a big thank you wherever you are!!

• Options

Signing off on this thread now........... but will seriously consider this event for next year.

It's one way of keeping me training into December image

• Options

Tim,

(not taking your comments too seriously, but just making a general point)

Running is for everyone: 30,000 runners can be in the London Marathon and 30,000 can win...by getting a PB, or by running all the way, or by just finishing.

However, having "fun" runners make derogatory remarks about "serious" runners is just as bad as vice versa however. We all run for different reasons. I stood just over the finish and cheered every runner over the line, but when I run races I'm "serious" about it. Sorry to get "serious" about this too...but I get offended by this slow vs fast argument when it surfaces periodically...

Beginners. This race is definitely good for beginners - Bedford Harriers had about 12 of our beginners group (who started running in April) complete in times ranging from 1:50 to 2:30 - in a field this large, they felt they had others to run with. They wore club vests too.

Mick n Phil - always a pleasure to see you - and agree entirely with you - running makes me feel better emotionally, physically, socially, ...there are so many reasons to run...

All - we are so aware of the car parking problem - would one of you like to offer a viable alternative? - or persuade Bedford to close the roads and let us do a "Great Bedford Run" in the town centre?

It was a great day, we all enjoyed putting on the show, and I have worn my sweatshirt every day this week to work.

See you all next year I hope,

Tony

• Options

Tony,

Yes the car parking is a challenge.I did notice a lot mroe people walkign from car park 2 at Argos this year. Its actually not too far on arrival but might feel a little far back after the race.

I guess your point though is there is no close alternative whilst it is in Wootton. I know you parked i nthe field by the start once but as it is uphill to get out that was even more difficult.

Could you perhaps use the Elstow Park and Ride and run buses ? Cost is the trouble plus, although a Sunday, it is close to Christmas so the park and ride might be busy..

Moving to Bedford itself would be interesting but Traffic there is bad enough at the best of times !! The other option might be to turn the course around and run from the Cranfield end and perhaps use Cranfield University facilities.

Having said all of that I like the course where it is so I think it is just a case of caryy on and people use the Argos Car park 2 if they are really worried about getting stuck.