Options

Calling all Flora London Marathon 2009 hopefuls...

Comments

• Options

I am a 38 year old former rugby prop who first started running in 2000.  I got a place in the 2000 London Marathon to raise money following the loss of my baby daughter.  I trained hard to get to 4hr pace.  Unfortunately I had a cold in the week before the race, but with substantial sponsorship I started the race anyway.  I have no memory following being helped up at the 16 mile point and was finally put into an ambulance at mile 18!!  I eventually came round in Newham General.  Never run a marathon with a cold!

I have been a casual runner ever since, but never managed to get a place back in the London Marathon.  I have done the Great North Run twice, including this year, but I am desperate to put the bad memories of 2000 to rest.

My problem is that I am constantly struggling with my weight, currently about 17st, despite training for the Great North Run, and the chance to benefit from such brilliant coaches is so exciting.  I would truly love this opportunity and would give my all to train to achieve a 4 hr 30 time.  I recently completed the GNR in a very steady 2hrs 20, which I know I could better with a some structure to my training.  I regularly run 10k races locally, usually around 55 mins.

I am desperate to be able to tell a happier London Marathon story in years to come!

• Options

Name: Lisa Southern
    Brief running history: started walking to lose weight in 2006 when I weighed 28 stone...... I walked the Moonwalk  in May 2007 weighing 16 stones less. Coming home on the train I bought a copy of Runners World to read on the journey..... it motivated me to try running and by July I ran my first 10k in 61 minutes - I cried my way over line! More 10ks have followed and now half marathons - I've just completed the Worksop half in 2:06 - sobbing at the end seems to be my theme!
    Reason why we should train you: I think that people need to know that losing weight and achieving your dreams is really possible for Mrs Average. I now weigh 10 stones and struggle with my eating. Food has always been an enemy and running helps me see food as fuel. When I run I feel complete. Just the very fact that I can do things that I never thought I would be physically capable of helps me breathe every day. I need advice and will be a sponge. (I love to write and am excited at the idea of blogging my efforts!) I have a sense of humour and want to spread the running germ! I am 36 years old and I want to run the marathon, to stand up and be counted - to walk the walk not just talk the talk! To run for all those who think they are too fat to try.
    Predicted marathon time: 4.5 hours would be a dream, 5 hours would be more realistic but with your help I really believe that I could push my limits and let you set my goal.

• Options

I would absolutely LOVE to win this training package for the 2009 London Marathon. I already have a place with kidney research. My whole family is committed to fundraising because my mother is currently undergoing extensive tests in the hope that she can donate her kidney to her brother who is on dialysis.

I took up running on a whim in May 2008 when I made the decision to enter the Berlin Marathon. When I commit to something, I commit 110%! I needed a challenge to get me through 2008 as 2007 had been the worst year of my life; I lost my husband suddenly in a tragic accident, 2 weeks before his 30th birthday. I needed something to focus on and training for Berlin really helped me. I finished in 4hrs 11 minutes. I have since struggled without this focus and I cannot wait to start my next challenge and improve on my own personal achievement. I really feel that I have the potential to run a 3:50 marathon with the right training schedule and the right support. My training for Berlin simply involved clocking up the miles and I know with a better programme I can exceed my goals.

I would love runners world to train me because I am the sort of person who would give absolute dedication and commitment to such an offering. I trained on my own for Berlin, never missing a training run and doing my 22 mile training runs in appalling conditions with no one to motivate me. It would be amazing to have a different experience training for London.

I have since joined a weekly running club at my local gym and I already realise how much I love running with others and how much I benefit from hints and tips on my running style/technique. I know that with the fantastic support on offer with this competition I would come on in leaps and bounds whilst being involved in something that will get me through the rest of 2008 and early 2009.

It would give me great focus and fulfillment to post a regular blog for fellow runners to read. I found that comparing notes with other people training for a similar challenge absolutely invaluable and it would be great to provide that support to fellow runners world readers.

PLEASE PICK ME!!!

Predicted time: 3:50

• Options

Sally +50

Brief Running History

Previously a gym person when in the summer when I was coming up to 50 decided to start running outside. 18 months later in March 2007 I joined my local running club and by September last year ran my first 10K, then followed some 10miles and 2 half marathons. One fo my friends ran the FLM08 and she inspired me to enter although unfortunately I was rejected.  I was surprised I was disappointed and my running colleagues are always commenting I plod away at a race and I have started passing some of them before the end of a race which is great motivation for me especially as they are younger than me.

Reason you should train me

I really want to plod around a marathon course and see how many people I pass as I complete it. I realise it is a big race and I am sure with some training advice, nutrition advice and support I could do it easily under 5 hours and I feel I have done some basic training and have the ability to run the race.  I have a dream to do this just the once although I am told I will want to keep doing them. I would love the chance and opportunity.  Thank you

Predicted time:- 5 hours

• Options

Should I . . . should I not . . . should I . . . should I not?????

I saw this ad and thought 'MAYBE THIS IS THE KICK UP THE REAR END THAT I NEED!'  image

ABOUT ME:  31 years old (still feel 18image), started running at school, and never stopped til I went to Uni - then it all went soooo wrong!  Got back into fitness when starting working for the Prison Service 6 years ago and never looked back - currently PE Officer.  Have loads of opportunity to train, but struggle to motivate myself to get out there on the roads.  Have ran the GNR twice, best time 1:57 4 year ago.  Best half time was Leeds 3 year ago, 1:45.  This year I signed up for the Humber Half - hoping it would motivate me to start my training - finished in 1:53 with the minium outdoor running, couldn't walk for 3 days and learnt a valuable lesson - I MUST TRAIN!!! image

As long as I have a goal I know I can do it - have trekked up Kili, and hapily cycle 100's of miles for charity, as well as personal walking and cycling challenges with mates.  

WHAT TIME WOULD I PREDICT???  Well, 24hr? 12hr? 6hr?  I think under 4 would be amazing, but just taking part in the whole event and feeling the buzz of the atmosphere would be enough for me!

In the words of Donkey, from Shrek: PICK ME! PICK ME! PICK ME! PICK ME! PICK ME! PICK ME!image

• Options

Name: Kim Ingleby -30 yrs old

Background: I'm up for any challenge and have completed the Tough Guy, trekked across the Andes, raced in triathlon olympic and sprint, cross country and the odd race - I used to ride horses three day eventing.  Currently I run my own business enhancing people's performance and wellbeing through fitness, NLP, sports massage and coaching.  I am currently raising £30,000 in my 30th year which comes to an end in April so this would fit perfectly!

Why: I train lots of different people to get into sport and also work with quite a few elites with sports massage and NLP to enhance performance.  I have run one marathon 10 years ago in 4hrs 20.  I would be really keen to be trained by someone to see what my full potential is as I am not naturally quick over distance. I think my clients would find it highly amusing that I was being challenged by someone too!

Time:  Well sub 4hrs would be great - and with correct training and accountability I would like to challenged for a quick time......image

• Options
    Stephen+36(37 in january 2009)

I dunn running about 20 years and Gym for 10years and join my local club about 6years ago and this will be my 2nd year London Maration cracking up 5Hours and 50s on top that was 2005 and now next Year I look for less then 5Hours.

If You want change your goal of speedy.I will run with you next year if you want?
  • Options
  • Options

John Buck

After years of inactivity I join a local gym to get my base fitness level back.  I started running about seriously about 3 years ago with encouragement from a group of gym members .

Last year a group of us decided to start our own club which is now thriving. I can honestly say it's been a life changing experience. Although none of us had any experience of running a club lack of knowledge was overcome by teamwork and the desire to make it a success.

Although in my mid forties I find age on barrier and am constantly encoraged by people much older than myself running incredable times. My current PB's are 42mins 10K and 1:33 for Half Marathon (stroud yesterday!).

Why should you train me?

I've never considered run a full marathon for two reasons. My own personnel desire to run PB's drives me, how far can I push myself. I would find not achiving a sub 3:30 hard to cope with and until I felt that was an achievable goal I would not enter a marathon. Training for a full marathon I assume to be lonely having extra support and advice would be vital.

Any coaching advice would be invaluable and could be passed on to other club members, most of whom have a similar background to me (a number have places in the 2009 event). I get great pleasure watch and helping other slower runners progress.

• Options

I am a 41 year old mum with two small children.   I have been running on and off for the last 35 years.  As a young girl I did lots of running at school, it all went by the wayside in my 20's but by the time I hit my 30's I was up and running again.   I entered the 2007 New York marathon in memory of my father-in-law.  I unfortunately strained my calf 6 wks before the start, but with some rest I managed to get round in 4 hrs 38 minutes. 

I have either watched or spectated at the FLM for as long as I can remember and it makes me cry everytime!   I have dragged my small children and perched them on top of crash barriers so that they can cheer the runners on.  It is one of the best things that happens in London and to be given the opportunity to be part of it would be a dream come true.

I hope I can be considered part of your team. 

• Options

JOdie Grover 29 11months 2 weeks and one day old!

Pitch:

I have been a begginer for about 5 years, i enter races and either don't train enough or lose momentum and don't race. I have decided to change that, is the big 30 very soon, and after losing out on the FLM ballot again (4th time) have entered Silverstone and going to put in my all.

I am running on my own, I have 3 daughters 7, 6 and 9 months, and I need help!!! I am certain I have a runner in me, I ran Silverstone before and loved the whole atmosphere and experience. i was desperate to run FLM this year as a marker to the big 30 and turn things around and make my babies proud (and lose the baby tons!!). I can't get over to you enough how much I want this, how much I need this I commit 300% and have total support of all around me to encourage and support and do this with me.

I finished the half in 2hours 40 mins with only 6 mile training runs and my faithful running companion: stitcch in right side!! With help I think I have a 4 hour in me.

Please please please!!!!!

Many thanks

• Options

Name - Harmander Singh

Running history - The 2009 race will be my 25th consecutive London Marathon but I have not been able to secure a ballot place.  I have also run 17 others including Amsterdam, Berlin, Chicago, Edinburgh, Luxembuorg, New York, Paris and Toronto to name but a few.  I have also run 166 half marathons - the last being the innagural Royal Parks London in which I finished last (walked it) - as I encourage/train other ordinary runners such as Fauja Singh (now 97) and fastest in the over 90 menbracket and holder of 12 concurrent records and I trained Buster Martin (101) who completed this years London Marathon in 10 hours.

Why train me - Although I have enjoyed training over fifty ordinary people to complete marathons over the years, I am keen to learn from the professionals as to how it should be done. My PB is 3hours 11 (20 years ago) but would like to qualify for Boston after I turn 50 next birthday to complete the Majors. Am keen to find out how to rejuvinate the competitiveness streak that I have lost some years ago.

Predicted time - 4hours 21mins will do me fine.image

• Options

Name: 

Christopher Smith

Brief running history:

I ran  competitively as a junior joining my 1st athletic club at the age of 7. I continued running into my 30s mainly as a club runner, running  distances from 10k s up to the marathon.  In December 1999 I was diagnosed with arthitis of the spine and was told that the condition was degenerative and advised that I would never be able to run again. I'd had a  ballot place guarenteed for the London Marathon in 2000 which I had to surrender because of my condition.  By  December 2007  I had put on  5 stones in weight and hadn't run anywhere in almost  8 years. However I'd  refused to give up hope and following medical treatment I began to exercise gently in January 2008, gradually building up my back muscles. By April 2008 I was undertaking Yoga classes 3 times a week  and in May 2008 I started to jog , very slowly, and only for 1 minute on the 1st day, followed by 2 minutes on the second occasion. I now weight just over 11 stone having lost 4 stones, and  have gradually built up my endurance to the point that I can now run 12 miles in 1 hour 45 minutes. Additonally I have recently overcome a lifelong  fear of water and have learnt to swim, which is also beneficial for my condition. I am determined to make the most of my health and not let the opportunity pass me by

Reason why we should train you:

I've been given a second chance and I  am  absolutely determined to succeed. It has taken me over 8 years to get to this point but I never ever gave up hope that one day I would be able to run again. Because I had a guarenteed entry in  the London marathon in 2000 my focus has always been to run in the London marathon. I now feel I am at the point where I could complete the distance comfortably and demonstrate that  a positive attitude can help to overcome the odds

Predicted marathon time:

3 hours 45mins  - 3 hours 50 mins

• Options

KK Wrote "You realise how many people are out there when they want something for free!"

Amen to that, what a great way to 'out' loads of lurkers image

I vote 'Hoose' by the way.

• Options

I have always wanted to run this race since watching it in the early 80's. Seeing the shimmering crowds in their foil blankets was a very evocative sight. Now, all thses years later I have started running and following a good year during 2007 in which I ran several rac es including the Nottingham half marathon I feel I am ready to tackle the London Marathon.

I run with an excellent club in Wellingborough, but would enjoy the extra support from Lucozade.

Wish me luck !

Cheers

Robert

• Options

I'll vote for Coops, Mr W, Corithian, Fat Face or Georgia's Dad. 

They're on here all the time, not just for the freebies.  It was lovely to read Sezz's story last year as it was somebody loads of us had met.

• Options

Name : Steve Smith

Running History: I've been running since 2005 and have ran 3 half marathons and numerous other races of other distances from 10k road races to 10 mile off road chalenges.

Why pick me : I have been on a real life changing experience for the last 7 years . I have given up smoking lost 2 stone in weight and got my fitness level upto a resonable standard . I would love to run this because I lost my older brother to cancer and won't to run it in memory of him . I also suffer with mild spinabifida so I am not sure how much longer I will be able to run as my ankle is slowly seizing up and I am worried that I may not be able to run this in a couple more years . I have entered 3 years in a row . I am a member of sandhurst joggers and often help out at there events .

Predicted time : 03.52

• Options

I would really love to have a place in the London Marathon 2009, I did think about applying when the ballot entry opened but didn't have the belief in myself at that time.  Now I feel that as I have progressed with my running and the fact that I know it's something I really enjoy, running the London Marathon would be the next step for my running and provide me with a great challenge.

I started running 12 months ago after being unhappy about the weight gained following the birth of my second child.  I didn't really take it that seriously at first and wasn't confident enough to go out on the roads (using the treadmill).  In January 2008 I decided to start taking it more seriously and signed myself up for the Llanelli Waterside 10k and Cardiff Half Marathon (putting down an expected finish time of 3hours 30mins for the Half Marathon).  Once I had committed myself to running these and raising money for the Make a Wish Foundation I put all my time and efforts into training for both runs.  I run the Llanelli 10k the day after returning from holiday and finished in 1hr (which I was really pleased with, being my first ever race and giving me a goal to beat next year!) I then threw myself into the training for the Cardiff Half, using this site to gain support and information from more experienced runners who had previously run the race (which was invaluable to my training).

I finished the Cardiff Half in 2 hours 13 minutes and not only really enjoyed myself but decided that not only would I enter next year with a goal of improving my time, but would also sign up to run some local 10ks and half marathons over the coming months, including a 10 mile multi-terrain run next month. 

My utlimate goal is to gain a place in not only the London Marathon but hopefully the New York Marathon and be able to share my experiences and knowledge with people who like myself 12 months ago are starting out with running and providing them with the support that I received from blogs placed on this site.

I would love to finish the London marathon in under 4 hours, not a ground breaking time, but the next step in fulfiling a dream that has only been realised in the last few months.

• Options

Hi, my name is Craig and am known as CAKEY CRAIG (no prizes for guessing why). I have been running for 20yrs but not on a consistent basis. I have run 2 marathons so I know I can make the finish line. What i need is some sensible coaching that will get me to the finish line quicker! (preferably before it goes dark)

The reason why I think you should have me on board is that iIhave just turned 40 and need someone who doesnt think that I am over the hill. I have had so much stick for reaching the big 4 0.

I have a cheesy sense of humour and will keep the rest of the team in good spirits or possibly make everyone feel better about themselves (at least I'm not as bad as him). On a serious note, my father has diabetes and I have set a goal to be more consistent in my exercise in order to avoid health problems in the future. THERE IS NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT. I am a northerner, lets face it every great team has a northerner in it. I have recently joined my local running club with my three daughters and need some sort of bragging rights in and around the club.

PLEASE MAKE MY 40TH YEAR MEMORABLE!!!

predicted time - with your help and motivation 3:25

• Options

I want to beat the 3hr mark big style!! ran in the last London marathon and Edinburgh marathon and have always been just minutes away from success!  With the right training and direction i would hope to demolish 3hrs!

Please give me the chance and i wont let me or you down!

Regards

Keith 

• Options

Name:  Louisa Seymour

I would love to have this opportunity, I am a dedicated trainer, who will respond very well to coaching and advice as I never give anything less than my best both in training and competition.

I have always loved running and competed on the track and cross country from a young age.   When I went to university I played  hockey and rugby, but still ran to maintain fitness.  I was part of the England A rugby squad for a couple of seasons and therefore understand what it takes to succeed in sport.  Endurance has always been one of my main strengths as an athlete, so I decided to attempt triathlon in 2007 and have been hooked ever since. I have ambitions to improve my olympic distance time and my main focus for this winter is to improve my endurance base, so what better way, than to train for a marathon with top class coaching.  In the last two years I have done several 10k's and 2 half marathons one off road and one road.  My 10k time is 42mins and my half marathon time 1.36.  I did the half marathon on the back of little training for that distance and feel I have the potential to improve.

I think I would be the ideal candidate for this prize as I have no marathon experience, but I am an able runner who would relish the opportunity to be coached in order to succeed at this distance.  I love running and traning gives me a real buzz.  This opportunity is a once in the life time chance and I know I would make the most of it.  I think I am capable of achieving 3:30, possibly a little ambitious for a first marathon, but with this kind of support who knows!

• Options

Name: Helen Rickards

Brief running history:

A relative new comer I started running in April 2008, following a friends birthday, a discussion about running the Great South and a husband that stated I couldn't run 100 metres let alone 10 miles! As true as that might have been I was determined to prove him wrong!

Following 6 months of training, an amazing best mate that I roped in, various 10k's (66 mins every single one!!) and an 8 miler I completed this years Great South in 1hr 54 mins! I now well and truly have the bug for running!

Reason why we should train you:

I am really new to this running lark and I was incentivised to do the Great South to prove my husband wrong (he's a good runner with a sub 3 hour marathon time) I could really benefit from some non husband type support and would dearly love to do the marathon in 2009. I am a very determined individual and would see this through to the end. I really enjoyed the Great South, and found the whole event inspirational and am determined to continue my running to the next level, I would love this opportunity to take up this challange.

Predicted marathon time: 4hours 45mins? (approx I'd hope to be quicker with some professional help!)

• Options

Name: Ian Bailey (age 45)

Running history: I started trying to get fit 10 years ago by joining a gym, got talked into doing the London Triathlon by a friend in 1999 and caught the triathlon bug. Decided my run was letting me down a few years ago and have been focusing on running ever since. My one and only marathon was the FLM in 2005 (4:43), but I had to run/walk from mile 18 and I feel I could have done much better if I had trained properly. I have been entering the ballot ever since, but was unsuccessful this year. I have a place in the Centenary Hastings Marathon on 14th December, which will be a tough course and I have been training for that. I am currently running 25-35 miles a week and recently got a PB at the Ashford 10K (49:20).

Reason for training me: I have built up a good base fitness in preparation for Hastings and I hope to improve significantly on my time, but I know I will be needing another challenge when this one is over and what better than London in April? Why me? I think the comparisons between a low key, DIY training attempt in December with a structured and supported run up to London will make for interesting reading and hopefully the results will illustrate the advantages of this approach.

Target Marathon time: sub-4 hours

• Options

Name: William Buttinger, 22

Running History: I have been an athlete, but I am not a runner. Up until this summer I had been a rower, but I had run a 4:25 marathon at a steady pace without significant training and a 1:44 half marathon on a few weeks training (both in 2007). This summer I tried to do things properly, training hard for the Leicester Marathon. I set myself a goal, and followed a training schedule from this website. But despite initial successes, my determination to succeed lead to frustrating injuries that forced me to crosstrain alot in the last month and, with disappointment, had to drop out after 8 miles of struggling to keep my race pace and to avoid risk of further injury. I have taken time off since to recover fully.

Why should you train me: I am an example of a sportsperson trying to transition to running. I am looking for the guidance to maximise the transition of physical ability from my previous sport of rowing on to the road as a runner. Coaching would help me improve my poor running technique. I need someone to “tame” my determination so that I don’t overtrain, while having the credibility to provide reassurance of continued improvement. Essentially, help me identify and avoid the mistakes I am making.

The included race entry, travel and kit make this prize so valuable to me. I cannot drive and can’t easily afford overnight accommodation, so end up relying on sympathy from friends and family to drive me to races on Sunday mornings. When I couldn’t find help, I have measured out the distance on a map and run the distance alone around my local park (e.g. for marathon warmup events). My trainers are held together by duct tape (the FLM shop advised me not to replace them before my Marathon attempt this month) and I have no proper kit as I am new to running.

Predicted Marathon Time: My raison-d’etre is to beat 3:23

• Options

Name:  Coops  aged 31 3/4.

Running History:  WTF?!!!  I'm too short!

Reason for training me:  I'm the Forum nice guy, the one with all the jokes and the one who ends up being the butt of a lot of them.

Target Marathon Time:  To get round would be a superhuman effort.  image

Come on RW Towers.  You know it makes sense!!

• Options
    Name: Tony Grogan
    Brief running history: As a youngster I used to run cross-country for my school but life ‘got in the way’ of my running and I never carried it on.  I joined the Army, hence keeping a reasonable level of fitness but never running with any real purpose or direction.  I then entered a winter ‘Tough Guy’, more as a personal bet to myself and on finishing that I was on a high.  I have since completed another and just completed the ‘Great South Run’ which left me buzzing.  My ‘directionless training’ with no real goal gave me a finish time of 1:22:46!  (I know I can have the legs for distance, I have run ½ marathons from home just for fun but never with any real pace).
    Reason why we should train you: Whilst I know I would never have been a world class runner, I am now wondering what could have been if I had put my mind to it more when I was younger.  However, rather than looking back in anger I now want to seize the day.  With direction, support and expert guidance I am sure my determination would produce a result!  And if nothing else, it will be one heck of journey!

Predicted marathon time:  3:47 at present but I want to go sub 3:30!

• Options

Name:  Eleanor Franks (Tutu Much)  Age: 28

Brief running history: In 2006 I received an email from a long-lost friend asking for sponsorship as she was running the London Marathon - I was completely gobsmacked and awestruck and all I could think was "but she was even lazier than me! If she can do it, maybe I can?"

I have been running for 2.5 years now and in that time completed 8 half marathons and 5 full marathons. I am truly passionate about running 26.2 miles, as the journey you go through both physically and mentally is like none other and I feel I have learned an incredible amount about myself through both the training and race-day itself every time. The nerves, excitement and pure adrenaline each time never seem to cease, I am utterly hooked on marathon running!

Reason why we should train you:  I am extremely enthusiastic and dedicated and love to inspire others to realise their dreams and goals too. I truly believe that anyone with the right attitude can run a marathon. However, I still have a lot to learn! My marathon times range from 3.57 - 4.11 and I am convinced I have the ability to get a much bigger PB with the right training. I possibly skimp on speedwork, but I'm not sure if that's it. I can guarantee I will put 100% into my training for FLM 2009 and would love to share the highs and lows of my journey with as many people as possible.

Predicted marathon time: 3.45 would mean the world to me. 

• Options

Grace 51

Brief Running History

I am new to running only running outside when I reached that ripe old age of 50. I had always been fit and healthy and probably like most people took it for granted. I went to see my sister run the FLM07. I just loved the whole atmosphere I wanted to be part of it not just a spectator. I sent in my entry for FLM08 still not convinced I could do a marathon. I was determined to do the training following a beginner’s programme of 10 weeks on the treadmill; it was hard work, but got me up and running. I needed a lot of encouragement to run outside but when I did, I never looked back.

I loved going out early in the morning. I was unsuccessful in the 2008 ballot but determination and hope for a place in 2009 kept me going. I entered the BUPA great Manchester run and achieved my goal 10k in under an hour, my time 58:30.

At the moment I am following a Half Marathon training programme. my longest run so far has been 13 miles.

Another “unsuccessful” for the last FLM09 but Iam not giving up. I still have a chance

Reason you should train me

I have been slowly but surely building up my fitness and stamina I think I have done well but I still do not understand good training practice, interval, fartlek, diet gear etc.  I read all the  training plans but sometimes find them hard to follow. Running a marathon is huge for me. I love running but would benefit greatly from professional advice and training.