Options

Sunday 20th April

2»

Comments

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Yes in Derbyshire, there is a great cycle path (old railway) and canal towpath there ideal for dog walking and taking kids out on their bikes - just got to try and work out some circular routes for running as I'm not a big fan of out and back.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I tried counting in a 5k the other night - I did it for the penultimate half mile or so - where it is too early to really go for the line but you can't afford to let your pace drop - must agree it did help a bit.
  • Options
    benz - you're a hero, both in running shoes and out of them. enjoy your bevvies tomorrow.

hi MM - hope the recovery's going well, despite the inadvertent 13M today. great news that you're thinking of doing Amsterdam.
  • Options
    Sarcy - I like the sound of that, I think I'll give it a go tomorrow. Do you use a gradient on the treadmill?
  • Options
    Afternoon all.

Had a lazy morning, but made up for it this afternoon, sun is not sure what it wants to do, in, out, in out.............

What: 40km bike ride on road, extreamly hilly route ( one hill gave me a reading of 175bpm going at about 4kph )
    once back straight onto a 2.5km run fairly hard.

Why: Triathlon training, and the run was to see how the legs were after the ride.

Last Hard: Hills were very hard today

Last Rest: Last Sunday
    Next Rest: Tomorrow

Catch ya tomoz
  • Options
    Speedie - sounds like a good session

What : 10 mile multi terrain
    Why : Longish Run

Did run @ 5 min run / 1 min walk = total time of 1:27 – good for me since my race PB for 10-miles is 1:24

So I’m a happy chappy

Doing 52-mile MTB tomorrow

:o)
  • Options
    ey up!
    what- Guiseley Gallop 10k
    why- pleasant amble?!?!
    last hard- yesterday 1hr up a big hill in the dales somewhere?!?!

enjoy
  • Options
    LynneW, congratulations on ur 1st fell race! i did Rivington PIke fell race too, i really enjoyed it, my 2nd fell race. the descent was great coz it was mostly grass!
    it was so windy at the top but i liked it so much i wanted to run it again afterwards during the long wait for the results! i was 2nd senior female and they gave some great prizes, i would definitely recommend this race, and hope to do the Two Lads fell race in Horwich in June (4 miles)

anyway, my training today is just 2 miles steady!
  • Options
    Afternoon everyone!

Well done in Rivington, Severa - I love fell races and really miss the summer evening fell races that I used to do in the UK.

Popsider - was the woman you saw small and fortysomething with dark curly hair? A former clubmate of miles lives out that way and just did 3:06 at FLM.

What: 50 minutes easy-ish fartlek
    Why: Ending a hard week's training with a bit of fun
    Last hard: Yesterday - 12 x 400 in blistering heat
    Last rest: Not sure ....
  • Options
    Venting my fustrations again:

65k on the road (bike not run) just under 2 hours 30 minutes, last big session before 1 May race. Peak HR 180, average 149.

Feeling a bit tired now!
  • Options
    I like the idea of Paula's counting.

I like the idea that by the time I've counted up to 100 three times, I'll have run a mile - that's over a minute quicker than I've ever run a mile before, so it's got to be worth a try :-)
  • Options
    You may have to count a bit slower :-)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Lynne and Severa!

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I know I'm a little mad Laura, but feel absolutely fine. Went out for a easy 4 this morning and even with having a head cold I still felt fine, so decided to give it a go. If the body doesn't respond then I'll just back off and take it easy!

I'll let you all know if it's bad idea tomorrow!!
  • Options
    45mins tempo
    15 k yesterday
    waiting till a bit later though - legs stiff from yesterday. I'm gonna try counting too.

Happy Easter all
  • Options
    Have tried counting before when doing a hard treadmill session - I was actually counting my strides - and it does help a bit. Never tried it on the road though.
  • Options
    Evening all

What: Gentle 10km

Why: Post marathon

Last rest; Friday

Last hard: Last sunday

Simon
  • Options
    Actually now Mike mentions it, I regularly count when on the treadmill.

I think any mental strategy that breaks a run down into smaller bits helps.
  • Options
    I found I was counting my breathing, not sure what your supposed to count but I've counted when I stretch for years! A bit awkward when somebody talks to you though.
  • Options
    After reading all this on counting - if I start counting on my next run - there'll be hell to pay

;o)
  • Options
    Lynne W I liked your account of the fell race and yours BR- just like that "low key" duathlon we did earlier in the year- hard to believe the pace they shot off at for the 10k.
    What- another stint at the allotment have sewn my runner beans, weeded round my fruit canes and sorted out my strawberry bed- an excellent session. Still no running yet- coal race tomorrow, I'm all excited now.
  • Options
    Fruity, just a 1% incline, still tired after marathon 3 weeks ago, as the training progresses I'll go back to a 2%.

Enjoy.

Counting, might try that too...
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    LizzyB - I don't want to sound like I was memorising what she was like but....she was slim and had a slim face, black hair but I think it was straight, had a long sleeved cotton top on with red on the sleeves and lycra type running bottoms (long). She really did look fast though.
  • Options
    Only logged onto say I've done sweet nothing today except entertained visitors round historic houses, and now feel a complete wuss compared with everyone else on here. Good! That'll make me shift my backside tomorrow.

Congrats on your fell race Severa, looks like a nice place to run, watched the Commonwealth cycling there last year.

Achilles, you're nuts doing 12 miles already. But then we already knew that.

Best of luck tomorrow Hilly. I've been asked to do the national relays in Birmingham next weekend, must admit I don't particularly want to go all the way to the Midlands to run 2,6 miles, lose 'day out to go running' domestic credit and be slowest in the team to boot. What would you do?

Mike/Swerve been wanting to ask for ages, what exactly are 'cricket nets'? Are they nets you hit the ball into or? Assume I speak from knowledge base of zero if that wasn't obvious already.

• Options
    Laura - "cricket nets" is a loose term for "cricket training". Mainly because batsmen tend to practice in a structure encased in netting on 3 sides - makes it safer & saves everyone from having to go and fetch balls that the batsman has hit hard. Unless he(/she - yesterday's oppo featured a Kiwi woman who batted as correctly as anyone) hits it straight back and past the bowler of course.

I know you don't like short distances and it's a good 350 mile round trip for you - a long way for less than 20 minutes' work - but if your club needs you for a national event, can you not "sell" it domestically as such? Or regard it as a bit of speed training?
    Can see both sides - not an easy position for you to be in.
  • Options
    Run back after Laura?
  • Options
    Will -- I always 'count' when running and was nodding when I heard Paula say that's how she keeps her concentration :)

What: Gardening. All day.

Why: Was supposed to be a gym day but had a sore throat when I got up and sore left foot so decided the body was complaining before I even started.

Last Rest: Saturday

Last Hard: Thursday