Options

3 Runs Per Week Schedule

Comments

• Options

Well done HB, you were playing with me!!!  The conservative estimate is to double your half and add 10% so that still indicates a sub 4 ... go for it but stick to your 9mm pacing, it's definitely within your reach, don't go off too quick when you're feeling good or you will pay later!

Fab effort, you should be really pleased, just the right kind of confidence booster with 3 weeks to go image

• Options

Cheers- am pretty chuffed.

If I'm being generous to myself, it shows how much race-day boosts performance although I suspect there's an element of "must try harder" when I train. 

• Options

race pace definitely easier on race day ... enjoy your moment of glory, this is the time for being positive!!!

• Options

Welcome Hilden Bro, Congratulations on an excellent Half marathon PB.

I've done 2 marathon's with furman's scedule and have pretty much done it by the book.

The MP13 run coming up this week, I have never thought is too short, and I certainly feel ready for a shorter run  this week.

In terms of pace as FH said, as long as you pace yourself sensilby you should be alright for the sub 4:00. 

Based on PMP in the book, I have found with the marathons I've done I have finished more at PMP+10secs. This is cheifly due to being unable to hold the pace in the last few miles. A few others on this fourm in the past have commented that they feel the PMP in FURMANS is a bit on the fast side as well.

Personally this year I'm going to start at PMP +5sec and see whether  I can hold on!!

The elation from nailing my last 20miler yesterday (spot on MP+15 with last 5 miles at MP) is fading a bit as I contemplate the horrors of 8 x 800m on very tired legs tommorrow... when will it all end???

• Options

I only just discovered this thread!

I have been doing the FIRST schedule too - Ktrier you freaked me by mentioning 8x800m....I have it noted as 7 x 800m?  Whichever it is I too will be doing it on totally knackered legs.

I have been hoping for sub 3.45 pace.  No recent race times to give you - last one was May 2010 when I did 46.07 10K which was a pb but since then a lot of water has passed under the bridge and a lot of chocolate has crossed my lips. 

I have been doing all my long runs at faster than suggested by the schedule even though I know I shouldn't have.  Basically it felt OK and I have an innate desire to finish the run as soon as I can.  The only one I've blown up on was yesterday's 22 miler - I took 2 miles off the midweek tempo and added it to the long run as I wanted to do one over 20.  I have been hitting 8.26 pace most of the time.  Generally I manage to do faster than the suggested paces for everything except the 1600m reps when i struggle with their suggestions.  I think PMP should be 8.34.

My last few long runs were

22 in 3.08 but a couple of sneaky stops in there which probably add no more than 4 minutes (bumped into hubby and daughter at the Meadows and then had to stop twice in the last 2 miles as I was cramping horribly.  I think it might have been dehydration as I didn't drink anything at all.)

15 in 2.05

20 in 2.48

seem to have deleted some from the garmin which is a bit annoying given I don't know how to do that if I actually want to! but then back on 25 Feb I have a 13 miler at 1.48.

I think 3.45 is on but do you think the blow up yesterday was some kind of warning that I've been going too fast and so in fact I haven't trained my bod to use any fat at all.  Hmmmm!

• Options

Hi Edinburgh Flump - Welcome.

It was definately 8x800 in my book! Perhaps we have different editions, I know there is a new one out.

Your PMP based on your 10K in 2010 (granted you may not be in that sort of form this year) is 8:14mm for a 3:35marathon but..... as I said I think the book is a shade optimistic and it sounds like you've got the perfect pace at the moment paticularly if your managing the repeats so well. I think aiming for 3:45 seems like a good plan.

8x800 really wern't too bad today. 2:22 - 2:25 working a bit by the end, but if I rekon I could have squeezed another two out if someone had been running behind me with a whip! That makes me think Yasso 800 are a bit optimistic because there is no way on gods earth I'm pulling out a 2:2x marathon in London!! I'll be pleased with a sub 2:45.

Looking down the rest of the (not many) workouts left, I think the MP 13 this sunday is the one I most worried about. Apart from that I think its ALL GOOD!! I can't belive I'm in taper mode now. I'll have to go and buy a carton of beetroot juice today to start loading those nitrites for the race in celebration Hurray!!

• Options
    Phew! I have just done the version on this website and it's definitely 7. But I have 15 miles to run at the weekend instead. And a 4 mile tempo. I'm actually switching round the runs and somehow going to try to force 15 tomorrow and then do a 10K race on Saturday just to get some more recent racing experience.

As a total aside, what on earth is wrong with this weather? On sunday I over heated and felt awful and today it's snowing.
  • Options

I know what you mean.

Woke up this am to 6 inchs of laid snow, which was a bit weird.  No grit on roads, so snowed in. Jumped on the old bike trainer for 1 hour and now I'm working from home which makes a nice change.

• Options
    Hi EF, interesting that droping 1 repeat equates to an extra 2 miles for the LSR!!  You are well on target for 3.45 and the fact that you didn't take on any fuel is going to make marathon day easier so don't dwell on it!  Taper time is when we all start to doubt ourselves, but I've said it before the hard work is done, there is not a lot you can do between now and race day that will affect your time too drastically - unless of course you overdo it and get injured! I got my 13 in yesterday as a bit of a cheat by doing my club's interval session and making up the distance, probably not good but just didn't fancy the 13 on my own.  I'm racing in a quarter at the weekend so I'll push myself for that - we can compare notes after that!  I will get out for my 8*800s on my own tomorrow and Ktrier the yasso 800s are way out for me!!  Hope the snow clears for you both soon - I'm jealous!
  • Options

MP13 today felt hard! I definately would not have been able to turn round and do it again! I hope the taper sorts that out.

Pace was good. 5min/mile quicker than my intended MP and was comfy till mile 12 when I started to chugg a bit. (no negative split for me today)

Nice run in from here now, nothing too strenuous. My niggles are still niggling but still standing so all good.

Hope FH and EF races this weekend were good.

Getting close now. Hotels and trains booked so no turning back now

• Options
    I bought refundable train tickets!
    Did 7 miles on fri at 8.10 pace and then race yest was 47.41. Pleased as not flat. Mile splits tell tale 7.30; 7.30; 8.29; 7.08; 7.44; 7.29 and last 0.26 was at 7.10 pace.

Roll on taper time ??
  • Options
    Ooh it doesn't like my smileys image)
  • Options

Well done EF I wouldn't have been able to run on Friday and follow it with a race - but then I have many issues!  My quarter was 19 seconds slower than I wanted but still it was a PB over the distance so I can't grumble.  I'm loving the fact that my longest run will only be 10miles before race day and that my vest has been washed for the last time pre VLM. 

Ktrier, they all feel hard now don't they?  I could never have managed my pace from Saturday on my own ... there's something about the start line that makes it all feel all right and I'm banking on that for London image

• Options
    PB always good FH!

I discovered on sat that I do not like my proposed shorts and my socks give me a blister on my second toe. So new shorts purchased and will be worn for every sesh over next two weeks even if it snows again as will my new socks. Have never ever had blisters before in 15yrs of running!

There's something about any start line which helps. Couldn't have imagined 7.30mm during any of my training!

Short week this week and then again next week. Getting train down on fri. Excited now not least cos I want my Saturdays back!
  • Options
    I'm following Run Less Run Faster [FIRST] also, although I have tweaked the pace where some of the long runs are concerned, did the Reading half last week, so this week just did 12 slower, and I did my longest run in the week before Reading [where incidentally I had a PB after a steady start].

Looking forward to seeing how it translates on the day [VLM in my case]
  • Options
    One thing I'm wondering about is whether to keep doing the cross training these last two weeks, well this week anyway?!

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    I am not planning on cross training last week. A tough gym sesh on the thurs wld be a bit much methinks. Vlm for me too. Can't wait (for all my free time!)
  • Options

Due to a lack of time, I haven't done any cross training so certainly won't start in my last weekimage.

I bought some new trainers just before my last long run and find that my feet burn in them, can't decide now whether to run in my old ones.  I think the sensation wears off after about 10 miles so on the plus side when I start to feel rubbish my feet should feel all right! 

This time in two weeks it'll all be over, not quite sure if that makes me happy or sad! 

• Options
    I'd wear shoes that are comfy from the off FH.

Skipped the XT yesterday in the interests of tapering effectively!

Doing the track 1K intervals this morning before work.
  • Options
    Hmm. So it decided to snow just to make me carry out my promise of shorts. Bah.
  • Options

Comfy but lacking in support!  I'll try the rest of my training runs in the new and see what happens.

EF, hope you survive the cold!  Shouldn't have tempted fate image

I've just gone through my splits for my 8*800s last Thursday and the pace of those was generally slower than my race at the weekend - admittedley, they were in to the wind and the icy rain was lashing down and I was on my own.  Still just goes to show how I react to the excitement of a race!!  

Happy tapering, we're almost there!!!

• Options

Hi Reikirabbit

I'm sure we had a discussion about cross training during taper two years ago on this forum and there was no real consensus. What I do is taper cross training volume about the same percentage as I taper running volume, but keep intensity.  I guess you should just do what will get you to the starting line with that happy balance of reduced fatuige but maintained fitness......

Great PB FH. Hope you sort out the wardrobe issues. I have to say, I'd be tempted to go for the shoes I was sure about (as long as they don't have loads of mileage in them!)

EF is it still snowing in Scotland?! Crikey thats bad luck. Lets hope it warms up (just a tad) for London or I'll be a bit chilly in my club vest on race day.

5 x 1k today felt almost good.

• Options
    Interesting the difference - today for me is 3 x 1600m. I hate that one more! Loathe the really long reps.

Sun's out now. WTH?
  • Options
    OOf a hard one last night. 8 mile tempo tonight then just a ten miler at the weekend and it's a proper taper after that. This doesn't feel that much like tapering right now.

I'd wear the shoes I was sure about too. Says the woman who doesn't know what shorts or socks she's going to wear.
  • Options

Ha, that's the great thing about advice, we know what's right and will quite happily pass on these wise words, you just don't quite believe enough to put it into action for yourself image

Out in the hail with friends yesterday for 4*5 mins!  7 miles in total.  Your tempo is also longer as I've only got to do 6 miles this week, with a mere 2 at maximum effort, followed by 10 at my optimistic marathon pace at the weekend.  I'm excited now!!!

• Options

I'm on holiday from my normal sedentary job and am quite knackered with life away from the desk.

I've plugged all the data into my Amstrad CPC464 which has worked out that a week of impromptu beach cricket, touch rugby (with 8 and 6 year old adversaries) and country walks plus three courses at lunch, are EXACTLY equal to one cross-training session.

Result.

• Options
    A result indeed image

8 miles in pishing rain done. 8.13 pace. Think it was supposed to be 8.30 pace as it is meant to be target mara pace so all good.
  • Options
    Woo hoo tapertastic. 10 miles - all done in 1.20 dead. Ave 8.05 pace. Got bus back up the hill home image spent rest of day gardening which is why it has just snowed again.

Need to decide on target pace. Am tempted to try 8.20 but I am notorious for training better than I race.

Daughter complaining of sore throat. I'm sniffly. Nooooo! I'm letting hubby deal with Lou and I am putting sniffles down to hay fever due to gardening. I'm still popping vitamin c like there's no tomorrow mind.
  • Options
    Echinacea is good! And if you are really serious about not coming down with something, put a big spoon of garlic and ginger paste into a mug, add the juice of one lemon and boiling water ....works every time.

Did a PArkRun two miles from house yesterday morning, almost a PB in the PR, off for a slow 10 miles after the Paris marathon on tele. Was also expecting a delivery from Tesco but they called to say their system had crashed so they couldn't make it, like EVER!!! I did offer to read out the transcript of my order but they weren't terribly interested in that option!

Thought I was being efficient!
  • Options

HB - children are definitely an all round workout!!! 

RR we all know that customer service is a thing of the past, but nice try though!!  I need to get out for 10 at MP and am procrastinating ... on the plus side the sun is shining ... but there is a slight breeze ...

EF, hope you manage to keep that cold at bay and as for times, have a look back over your training, you may well be in better shape than you thought and if all your runs have been consistently quicker (which it seems to me, from what you've posted, is the case) then perhaps you have underestimated your current potential.  I'm not a good one to comment because I'll always start off at my most optimistic goal pace and will need to hang on towards the end but I still think this gets me a quicker overall time.  All the proper advice would be to start conservatively and push from 20 miles if you think you have it in you.  Make sure you get you strategy sorted before you get to the start line - indecision will not help ;-)