Morning.

What: will be an easy 5.5 mile
Why: 5 mile race tomorrow
Last hard: speed(ish) session yesterday
Last rest:Sat

Comments

• Options
    Morning

What - Cross Training at the gym, if I can esape.
    Why - I've lost my mind, why else would I deliberately want to be sore all over?
    Next Run: Tomorrow.
  • Options
    what - nothing
    Why - still suffering from virus that wiped me out at FLM
    Next run - Friday?
    Last run - 10 miles of FLM and before that 2 weeks off due to calf tear.

I hope you're running is beter than mine at the mo.
  • Options
    Morning All

What:4-5miles very slowly
    Why:18miler yesterday. My first really long run & I'm sore all over
    Last Hard:Yesterday
    Last Rest:Sun

Have Fun
  • Options
    rest
    dont want to
    But on call, and had hard sesh yesterday, and its only 8 days since the marathon, and ive got to be sensible
  • Options
    You're always sensible benz!

What, run home along the cut with some fast bits.

Why..dunno really. Its just what I do these days

Last hard. Sunday
    Last easy Yesterday
    Last rest Friday.
  • Options
    Blimey PM, sounds like a tough time, get well soon.

Barnsley,
    which race are you doing tomorrow?

What: nowt
    Why: racing tomorrow
    Last hard run: Sunday was much tougher than planned.
    Last rest day: Today
  • Options
    morning all

good luck with races Barnsley, MM

what: hammer the treadmill at Holiday Inn Carlisle (assuming they have one in their gym; will set to 16 kph or 6 minute miling pace & see how far I can go)

why: that's where we're based the next 2 nights for a brief holiday (within reach of Hadrian's Wall, S. Scotland, N. Lakes...)

last hard day: Mon
    last longish day: Sun
    last (complete) rest day: no idea

will be offline till late Thu/Fri a.m.
  • Options
    Morning!

What: AM: 30km hilly bike ride
    PM: Hoping to get out and do a 5 miler later

Why: Triathlon training

Last Hard: Sunday

Last Rest: 9 days ago

Be back later!
  • Options
    Morning all!!

First Speed Session after the FLM today, not sure whether I am looking forward to it or not.

What: 2 Miles Warm Up, Then 6 * 600M fast with 400 M Recoveries and then 2 mile warm down.
    Why: New Schedule says so, and as we all know speed sessions are good for you.

Last hard: FLM
    Last Long: FLM
    Last Rest: Sunday
  • Options
    Happy hols, Mike!

What: Rest.
    Why: I think I'm managing NOT to come down with something, and don't want to do anything that might stop my immune system from winning the fight. It's a bit of a pain in the butt, as I was supposed to be giving blood today.
    Last hard day: Yesterday's stomp over the Malverns.
    Last rest day: Sunday. And Saturday. And lots the previous week.
    Last run: Last Tuesday.
    Last long run: FLM.
  • Options
    Morning everyone. Was meant to be a rest day today but it is such a lovely day here in London that I am going to do 25 mile cycle this afternoon and make Thursday a rest day.
  • Options
    What: Speedwork/hill work. Can't remember! We're on rotation between the three down at the club and I can't remember which one I'm on this week :-)
    Why: Improve 10k times and comfort at faster speeds for marathon in autumn
    Last hard: yesterday - wellying it on the tready
    Last rest: Sunday
    Last long run: FLM
  • Options
    Morning Folks, don’t think I’ve posted for a week – hope you all enjoyed Easter. So a quick update and a brief RACE REPORT..

Tues: tough club session and I overdid the sprint drills doing sthg unpleasant to my lower abs….
    Weds : Rest
    Thurs : 5+ mile “steady run”
    Fri: Rest
    Sat : 5 x1 mile intervals with 400m recvry – almost splattered on 4 & 5
    Sun: Rest
    Mon : Mixed terrain 10k

So a local 10k starting with a lap of a track. Not run on synthetic for 25 years - felt like a trampoline and almost allowed me to forget the sore muscles in my abs (no, not a washboard just roughly where they should be..). As we left the track and terrain turned to light road the spring began to sap from my legs. Eventually the 1k marker appeared 5:16. Shock, that must be wrong, I can still see a couple of club mates ahead and they’re 41-42 men….Sharp left under the dual carriageway along what seems like Dogbogalley and then onto a rutted farmtrack dodging the cowpoo. A clubmate I don’t recognise overtakes, followed by a very attractive lady who’d been having a triathlon teach-in in the gym/changing area before the start. 2k marker in 9:43 – so lets’s ignore the splits then – garbage. Over the cattle-grid, thoughtfully boarded but making a terrible echo, and on to “Rise Farm”. A nice uphill drive allows me to catch a couple of folk – somehow I like hills….left, right and on we go on bumpy but hard farm tracks head to wind, I catch one of my clubmates – yippee – split markers still all over the place, so no idea of pace.

A couple of quick turns and we’re in a small village. Sudden noise in left ear, runner screams past singing and weaving from side to side like Jason Robinson – explain that! I try to make a wisecrack but am greeted with silence. A sharp right and we’re running along the edge of a field – I need to overtake but the only way is onto the ploughed area – I accelerate and nearly lose footing but get past and start to catch the group in front and do so as we get halfway up the hill – then they stop. Ah!!! a stile, single file and a queue of 6. So the next half mile is Indian style over the brow of the hill with 3ft rapeseed plants either side and on to – yes you guessed – the next stile – still a queue of 6 but slower this time as there’s stairs on the downhill side. Quick RL dogleg hearing someone crash to the ground behind me and its on across a slightly soft field that gets firmer as we rise from the marshland towards the road and the inevitable kissing-gate. Follow the footpath before along another tarmac track where I overtake a couple more, including the singer and then back thro’ dogbogalley again and the final km marker shows. The aforementioned attractive triathlete is in view and I push on to overtake her and as I do so the singer shoots past again. I catch one other before turning back onto the track for a 70m sprint for the line – but no places gained or lost and I finished in 43:58.

Not a PB - 80secs outside Brighton 10k. can’t make up my mind whether it was good or bad, Average HR was a little below my 10k usual and a hard interval session wasn’t the ideal taper, so maybe there’s more in the tank. At least I didn’t get caught by the Easter Bunny - as one of my clubmates complained about!

Oh and tonight its clubnight again – more reps methinks
  • Options
    Greetings.
    Rest post-race.
    Need a cunning plan to squeeze more mileage in this week. Too much on!

Have fun, and enjoy the sunshine.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

What - go down the club and do 7 miles steady with them this evening.
    Why - want an easy day, intervals yesterday, long run on Thursday coming up, rest tomorrow (well work tomorrow but you know what I mean).

• Options
    Excellent stuff sfh legs, I was running with you for a minute there.
  • Options
    What: 56 min run including 21:30 hills (10 reps)
    Why: I've been a complete hedonistic Snicks for the last five days (did fit in two runs in the middle - not sure how!_
    Last hard: today
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last easy: three runs last week, all pretty intense

What now?
    I'll have to check out Laura's thread. Thinking of Dublin 3:15 goal - not sure what's the best way to prep from now till then. Only race booked so far is Watford 10k... good to be back!!
  • Options
    Good run sfh legs. I'd hate to do races where you have to stand and queue for the next section.

MM - it is the first of the South Yorkshire Road League 5 mile races. One each in Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield. Our is the hilliest. I've just looked it up and did 28-43 last year. That was a week and a half after a marathon as well. I'll be pleased with anything around that this year.

Which race are you doing?
  • Options
    Morning all.
    Sfh legs - Sounds like a fantastic run, given the (rural and hilly?) course

What: Learning HTML
    Why: Sore throat and don't feel great. checkign my trianing diary, the last rest day I had was, er, about three weeks ago. So am going to laze around in the pool for a bit. And it is lovely and sunny today (and the swimming pool is outside)
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: (...cough)
  • Options
    Mike S - so your batting average is now 162!! How many innings to qualify for the averages?

What standard is it you play at?
  • Options
    Barnsley,
    good lord, 28:43 for a hilly 5 miler is flying, especially 10 days after a marathon.

I've got the first of the Notts AAA Summer League, they're all 4.5 - 6 miles, held every 4th Wednesday starting this week. Races are in Epperstone, Holme Pierrepont, Sandiacre, Worksop and Newark and range from undulating cross-country runs to pancake-flat road races. To be honest I'm still feeling a bit flat from FLM so will probably go steady-ish tomorrow and plan on going eyeballs-out for the rest.

Best of luck
    ;-)
  • Options
    Marmite Master -

I used to love Epperstone - that hill at the start especially... and the long drag coming down again ....sigh ... oh how I miss UK races! And it was always good weather ... and there was always a good pub to go to on the way home...

Good luck to you = and my ex-clubmates at Erewash Valley who'll be out on force, no doubt!
  • Options
    MM - Holme Pierrpoint, eh? With its uneven paths at 19 miles of a marathon then flat open spaces running up and down the watersports centre for another 2 and half miles.

Can't say I've happy memories of it.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Hi

what: 3x3k@5k pace.
    last rest: yesterday
    last hard: Sunday's 10M race

Have a lovely day!
  • Options
    Lizzy B,
    I had no idea you were an ex-Notts area lass. Where are you now? Epperstone is a great little race and a beautiful course if it's a nice spring/summer evening. Agree that the pubs are belting too in that neck of the woods.

Barnsley,
    must admit HPP at mile 19 of a marathon wouldn't be particularly inspiring, however, for a pancake-flat PB course for a 5 miler it's tough to beat (unless there's a gale blowing which seems to be about 50% of the time).
  • Options
    Hi MM - I'm in Iceland now, and have been for a year, but I ran with Erewash from 1998 to 2002, while living in Beeston.

I still 'turn out' for Erewash every now and then, if my visits back to the UK coincide with a race!

Are you with Notts AC? (Or am I thinking of someone else) ... if you are, you must know Andy Watson...?

Always used to hate the Holme Pierrpoint races - don't know why, as they were always really well organised ... running round the rowing lake always seemed to take forever and the wind would change direction just as I reached the turn at the bottom ... or did that happen to everyone...?
  • Options
    Afternoon,

Nice report sfhlegs, and very decent time too considering you were queueing for the stiles, I'd have been over the moon.

Everyone's back racing so soon! Is it just me being a wimp?

Glad the cricket went well Mike, the language is now too technical for me but well done on your 'innings'. Have fun in Carlisle, if that isn't an oxymoron.

What: 1 hr bike ride plus 3mile rollerblading.
    Why: right leg still slightly feeble after the flm, probably as a result of having my femur nailed together with metal twice in the past, only feel the difference after very long distances.
    Last hard: still flm.
    Last rest: Sunday.

Feel totally slob-like - not enough running and drinking copiously whilst entertaining visitors for the past week. Must re-start hairshirt routine soon and book myself into Masochistics Anonomous.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    What: 3 miles steady
    Why: Building up to start Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 marathon training schedule on 26th May for Loch Ness Marathon

Did 7 miles yesterday, but felt so cr@p that I've decided to skip the half I'd planned to do on 4th May. Instead I'm going to drop back my rather sporadic mileage of late and concetrate on consistency for the next few months.

That's the plan today anyway!