Options

Brentwood Half 2009

Well, I entered a few weeks ago and started my runners world download to Garmin training plan today. YAHOOOOOOOOO. It'll be my first half and I'm really excited. At the moment. Suspect the excitement will slowly turn to fear and sheer terror as the weeks go by image

Any handy hints/tips/thoughts on the route anyone?

Comments

• Options

Hi Julia, hope the training's going well.  Brentwood's a nice race - main thing to remember with the route is to take it easy over the first mile or so as it's downhill.  And remember what goes down must come up and save a bit for the uphill finish!!

Not sure yet whether I'll do it next year again or not.  February and March will be a bit mad for me race-wise so think I'll leave it to nearer the time to make my mind up.

• Options

Hi Kaz, training is going really well although it's not so easy getting out when it gets dark so early is it! Is there anything 5 or 10k wise in Jan or Feb in this neck of the woods that I could slip in as part of the half marathon training plan? I've looked on this site but not seen much so far.

I plan to plod around to make sure that i finish, whatever the time. Have run 13 miles once in training and it took 2.45............ah well, looking at last years time i may not be last  image

• Options

No it's not easy that's true.  Treadmills come in handy on a winter's evening, especially if you're running on your own.  Races are a little thin on the ground in Jan/Feb.  There's the weekly 4k time trial over at Bluewater but can't think of any 5k/10ks.  There's a good 10 miler in St Albans on 18 Jan but that may be a bit too early for you to consider that distance.

Bet that come the day you'll be surprised with your time.  It's amazing what difference the race atmosphere makes, especially when it's a busy race like Brentwood. 

• Options

Hi Julia - I'll be doing Brentwood 1/2 too.  Did last year for first time and as UK says - the last approx 2 miles is a gentle climb back to finish (roads busy at this point too so have your witts about you).  Nice medal at end image always beats a T shirt in my book (unless its a long sleeved wicking one image).

Just had been having a step down from hard training since GNR and starting my serious 1/2M schedule this weekend with a view to getting a PB at BW in March. 

As for you, you've got a good length of time to train for race - and atleast you know you can actually cover the distance - many people embark on their first 1/2M with about 10 miles total distance under the belt so you'll do great ! Keep us posted how you are getting on image

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

There are some 10ks in north Kent - Swanley in January, and there's one somewhere else I forget the name of on 28th December.  Have a look under events.

There's also the Dartford 10 miler in January - all easy enough to get to over the bridge.

I'll probably be doing Brentwood, but I'll enter a bit nearer the time.

• Options
    Woo Hoo - I'm entered for the 10 miler in Dartford and will be entering Brentwood after Christmas. My Garmin 405 arrives with Santa - so guess where I'll be in the afternoon, after the obligatory snooze .....
  • Options

Running on Christmas day stephen, I'm impressed! You're not related to the the estate agents in Billericay are you?

I'll look into Dartford, hadn't thought about venturing over the bridge. I ordered a t-shirt when i entered but i must admit a medal would be lovely! I'm trying to keep up my fitness level over christmas then work up in the new year................

One question, do the organisers send us sponsor forms for a particular charity or can we run for whoever we like? I work at a gym so figure i could feasibly get a lot of sponsorship from members.

Have a good weekend everyone in the bitter cold rain. image

• Options
    Hi Julie T - REALLY cold isn't it? image As far as sponsor forms - I don't think they get involved with that? Its put on by the Rotary Club of Brentwood - and i believe they raise money for local charities generally in the area - you can run for who you like. If you contact a charity and pledge to raise some money, often they will provide you with a running vest or t-shirt with their logo on it?  Maybe your thing? image
  • Options
    That sounds good Walking IAWW, perhaps if I get in a charitys good books they may look favourably on me when it comes to the Flora London in 2010. Assuming I make it round Brentwood and can keep on running...........................image
  • Options

No chance of getting into a charities good books - it's hard cash they want. Why net set up a "just giving" page and run for the charity of your choice.

I'm no relation to the estate agents, honest !

• Options

Enjoy your Christmas present Stephen! I only asked about the Estate Agent thing because either my Mum or Dad (I forget which) was Godparent to aforementioneds Son or Daughter (again I forget which!)

Confused? imageimageimage Me too!

Have a lovely Christmas everyone

• Options

I got the Garmin and love it.  It will be even better when I figure out how to set it up correctly !

I'm signing up for Brentwood tonight. 

• Options

My Garmin is the best gadget I ever got (except maybe my i-pod) ! I have a 305 and am still discovering features I didn't know existed, I'm sure I don't use it to its full potential. It doesn't help that the instruction manual is so sketchy.

Finding it hard to get back into the schedule after all the quality streets and cake, 13 and a bit miles feels a bit ambitious at the moment, amazing how quickly the fitness goes!

• Options

I know what you mean, I start looking for food if I have not eaten within the last 30 minutes ! 

I went to a new gym last night, my existing one is shut for refurbishment and only managed 2.5 miles on the treadmill. It was facing a wall and I ended up feeling travel sick !

Tell yourself you will stick to the schedule and that no excuses are allowed, think of the weight loss benefits.

• Options

Well it's real then. Got my number and timing chip today, no 247. I've managed to lose the extra poundage that I put on over Christmas and a bit more and am now well on track with the training.

Hope you are enjoying the Garmin Stepehn, I downloaded the Garmin ready schedule off here and it works a treat. The intervals are a killer tho, tomorrow consists of 1 mile warm-up, 6x800m at HR 97-99% of Max with 200m rests inbetween then 1 mile cool. I worked out that 800m is half a mile so that 3 miles going full pelt image I shall just do my best.....................

• Options

My entry for this was posted yesterday and now I'm scared image  It's my first half.

I've done lots of 10k's and two 10 milers so far but still it's a challenge for me.

Guess I'd better get some training in now!!!!

• Options

Hi Aspen, my first half too! Done a few 5k's and one 10k before (Billericay) but this is quite a bit further isn't it! Have you run that distance before? I've done it once in training and have 3 more long runs scheduled of 12 and 14 miles 'to give confidence on the start line' ! image 

Trouble is, I've bigged it up at work to get sponsorship for Little Havens Childrens Hospice and a man from there came to take publicity photos so i'll probably end up in the local paper. No pressure image

• Options

Julia,

The longest I've run is the two ten milers which went ok so I'm hoping the extra couple of miles won't be too bad.  I am planning (if I ever get my *rse in gear and start trainingimage) to do a few 13 mile practice runs before the day itself.

I did some fundraising for Little Havens last year.  I set up a Justgiving page for all the events I did during the year (I do Triathlons and cycle events too).  I'm just finishing off the fundraising by nagging the last few people to donate.  Should get about £300 or so I think.  No-one from the local paper's asked me for pictures though image

• Options

Im running this race too. I am also running my first ever half marathon after being roped in by a friend.  Looking forward to the race and my training is going quite well except the thick snow making life difficult this week.

Im doing 10ks in around 46mins but Ive not been able to train for such a long period as I have so far for this one due to injury (playing rugby at the same time as training for races proved to be a bit silly). Im hoping to get round in about 1 hr 40mins but just hoping to enjoy it really before I tackle the GNR.

• Options

Race is full already. image And it is part of our club championship image And I have not entered image

If anyone has an entry that they will not be using, I would love to hear from you image

• Options

Mr Rourke....is that you????

• Options

Couldn't really be anyone else.image

If I don't get training soon you can have my place!

• Options
    Better watch who walks past that desk image
  • Options
    So how come it's'triagain'?
  • Options
    Hi, thanks for the reply still not sure what to do and desperate to participate. Pity none of the organisers are getting back to me. Do they just ignore non-entrants?

It has been suggested that numbers may not be transferrable, this is where it would be helpful for an organiser to get back to people.

Just done the Benfleet 15 and went on a similar forum to this for the race and one of the organisers could not have been more helpful. Replied to every query and comment. Karl was so helpful.

I would love a number if someone cannot make it, please consider me, I will try and represent your number well.

I cannot believe it is filled-up so quickly and the numbers reduced so much. Deadline was not for another month! I have been training for this for 6 months and now have missed the boat. I am devastated!
  • Options

Hi, Brentwood is going to be my first half-marathon, am really nervous. Not sure where brentwood is yet! I gave up smoking cold turkey at the beginning of october (pack a day for a decade, give or take) and started going for jogs. Started training seriously on the 24th of Jan and have since clocked 85 miles in training (i made a spreadsheet, dead sad i know). I have entered a couple of other races post brentwood because i am desperate for some reason to crack 2 hours! Good luck if your running for the first time too.

• Options
    Anyone got their number through yet?  Can't remember how early they came out last year.
  • Options
    Was waiting for me on the doormat!!
  • Options

There seems to be plenty of disappointed runners out there! Got my entry form and cheque back yesterday. I've run Brentwood for eleven of the last thirteen years and having supported the event when it was 'small' am gutted to miss out this year. I've never noticed a problem with numbers in previous years and am surprised that the police have set the limit so low.

I can only echo what Triagain Jim has said - if anyone has an entry that they are unable to use I would be delighted to hear from them.