Options

Amsterdam Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options

By no real pain Dicky I meant with relative comfortimage

I am not really aiming for a time as long as I complete within the 3 hours allowed.

I am 46 weigh 103 kilos 6ft 2 tall - I weighed 125 kilos in Nov 2008. So have lost a good bit.

This will be mu first race - wanted to start with a good one. My brother in law lives in Amsterdam so the wife and I will jog around together and combine with visiting her brother.

Thanks for the input.

• Options
    Are you following a training programme Slowjoe?
  • Options

Hi Dicky

Not specifically. Have read a few.

Intending to build the weekly long run(or more accurately run/walk) by 1/2 mile a week over the next ten weeks. So in ten weeks time will have hit the ten mile mark. With 2 or 3 shorter runs through the week.

If I hit this goal at week 10 will have a further 6 weeks to go til the race. Will then decide wether to actually run the full distance prior to the race or keep at ten miles - less chance of injury - or actually do the distance 2 or 3 weeks prior to the race.

• Options

Hi Slowjoe/Tricky

First of all hats off to you Slowjoe for your weight loss great stuffimageimage  Secondly have you looked on Runnersworld for any programs re half marathons? I know you are hoping to walk/run but the programs I have seen for the full marathons that they do are aimed at all levels however confident you feel.  So I am sure they will have a three hour one if that is what your aim is and they will give you sensible tried and tested schedules.  It is always better to follow one that has been specifically designed by experienced runners rather than try and make something up yourself - half the time what they get you to do seems much easier than you would push yourself to do!  If you build gradually you will reduce the likelihood of injury but you may surprise yourself and actually be able to jog the whole way round after doing weeks of training.  If you can do 10 miles I am sure you will squeak the last three through - the crowd will egg you on anyway and there will be a medal at the end of it image  Good luck!!  Be careful you dont become a running addict like the rest of us...

• Options

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

SlowJoe - see the above link this chap comes highly recommended and does loads of different schedules - might be of interest.image  .

• Options

Yes, RW also do ½ marathon schedules as well. If you can run a distance like 5 miles for example, you may find that an increase of ½mile a week could be a little conservative.  Of course, you have to judge this for yourself and be guided by what you feel.  10% per week is the usual reference for increase in distance of a single slow run. But it's a guideline only.

NGUG: am at work right now. Remind me what your goal is (I can check when I get back home though).

• Options

Tricky - I am on the sub-4 thread... (trembles slightly) 4 hours... why?

Slowjoe - I couldnt see a 3hr program for half marathon on RW they only seem to go up to 2.15 (I could quite possibly be looking in the wrong place).

• Options
    Actually Tricky - probably realistically and on reflection 4.15-4.20 for the marathon. image
  • Options

Thanks Guys

I fear I am already addicted.

Have had man flu the last couple of days so havent been out and my legs are twitching!!

I dont want to lose ground but know if i run before im fully recovered it will cause another delay!

• Options
    Hey all, about to put my name down for this madness again.  Struggled a bit last year but that was down to too many beers and not enough miles.  Hopefully I can get my butt into gear in time to do a bit better this year.  I live in the Dam so if anyone's struggling for info, let me know...
  • Options
    Hi H. Maybe you can let us know what the weather wa slike during last year's race.  What sort of time did you put down?
  • Options
    hello all been away on hols since last week and am sarting into my marathon program tomorrow for dublin or amsterdam
  • Options

Good on yer John.  Weathers great to start running huh?!  Keep telling myself, "Amesterdam's going to be a lot easier than this"

• Options
    sweating like michael jackson in a pre-school rtying to run in this weather!!!!!
  • Options
    You know you've got to be startin' something John.
  • Options
    Hehe what are you two like?!  OH now keen on doing the half marathon!! Result!!  Is talking to pt (who I have already prepped) so looking like it might actually happen nowimageimage Amsterdam for the whole family only Ms NGUG not running.  Still time to work on her....
  • Options
    TDB I did a 3.58 and the weather was ok as I recall.  Sunny, a few clouds, I don't remember being particularly hot or cold but this is amsterdam... anything can happen!
  • Options

TD its a thriller on here but the joke

Two sessions down on my runnersworld/garmin training program, i really have my mojo back compared to just random training. its great, walk out the door, hit the bezel on the garmin twice, it says on the screen' todats session is 4 miles easy. you press start, it laps automatically and tells you to speed up or slow down according to the pace you should be going!!!

• Options

God I wish I understood my Garmin - I know Tricky I should know better and read the blooming manual.  Mr NGUG out his first pt 5km this Sunday in preparation for Amsterdam whereas Mrs NGUG, as in me, has to rest for over doing things image

• Options

Well Im recovered from man flu now

Couple of sessions during the week and a longer one on Sunday.

Funny thing is due to the enforced weeks rest i feel fasterimage

• Options

Slowjoe, sometimes rest is the key to speed. It's counter-intuitive but at times, it's definitely the right thing.

NGUG - re: Garmin. Old offer to do a quick Skypie chat about it is still on.  But John's right, it's great to have the watch tell you what to do and to follow what you know is a good structured programme.  Of course, the watch can only display what is programmed into it, but the downloadable training programmes from RW are really good.  Good news about your OH joining in - in fact, it's a bit of a wife-swap thing as MrsTD is doing the half too.

Moving on (swiftly), I have a colleague at work is a running fiend, who's also doing Amsterdam.  He's targetting a sub 3h time and wants to do the LSRs together.  But he doesn't want to do them SLOW, which I think is the point. Going out for a 20Km with him tomorrow, so I'll see how it goes. 

He could push me to do really well or it could kill me (not just one day, but over the whole programme).

Happy training everyone.

• Options
    Ahem.  A 12 hour dance party renders training impossible today.  Long run tomorrow... in the week.... Bleurgh!  Still, dancing is exercise, right?
  • Options
    7 miles slow this morning at 8 o clock!!! felt comfortable.big pasta dinner and strawberries on the way as a reward!
  • Options
    I did 7 1/2 miles slow and felt very tired. Longest Ive run in a couple of months.  Its amazing how I seem to lose the endurance.  Really looking forward to improving
  • Options

With you pn that thorneey - I really feel like I've lost my enduarnce since doing the Paris Marathon. 

I had a go at bare foot running on Saturday to see what it would be like.  Managed to do 10½K, mainly on grass, but some tarmac and a little bit of dirt trail. Was a positive experience .... at the time.

Come my LSR on Sunday, was supposed to do 20K.  Only managed 15K because of the blisters on my feet. OK, maybe that was to be expected.  But, the real surprise has been the horrible pain in my calf muscles. Ooh they ache!  Shall put my "recovery machine" to test tonight. I'll post a link later to explain what that actually means...

• Options

Muscle strain in the Soleus (long muscle in the calf) is easing up now.  Have got 3 x 2miles intervals tonight. Have moved on to a faster running programme so am a bit nervous about the speed required.  It's going to be a toughie.

Any lurkers out there getting ready for Amsterdam? image

• Options

Well, after humming and hahing for ages and looking at several other events, I booked up Amsterdam last night.

I have done it four times before, which is why I was considering doing something different, but it has so much going for it as a race and also a place to visit.

Be nice to get another orangey T-shirt image

• Options
    did my firstever speedwork session tonight( did none for paris) 1 mile w/u and then 2 x 1.5 miles at 8min pace or better with slow 1/2 mile recoveries. tough in the heat but i found it very enjoybale in a weird way!!
  • Options

I love those sessions John. Seem to get the best "runner's high" from them. I had to abandon my 3 x 2m reps last night because my calf muscles were getting really tight.  I even stopped to stretch out in one of the recoveries but the pain was too much. Anyway, I hope to run again tonight and that I have done enough to dodge getting an injury.

I remember you recently bought a Garmin.  Do you post any of your sessions on to Garmin Connect?

Here's my session from last night. Cheers, R.

• Options
    i have been posting to it but in the last frw days it keeps telling me thta there is a server error and the info doesny get sent???