Options

Amsterdam Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options

Hi all, just come across to here from the tri thread and think I might do this as well. 

Is there a deadline to register and does anyone know if they still have places?  

• Options

@Bedders:

From what I've read on the organiser's website, they expect to reach the capacity limit this year after several consecutive year's growth in participant numbers - they were 1000 short of a max of 25000 last year (although I think this number includes the field for 7.5K and Half-marathon that are being staged concurrently with the marathon).

Enter here:

http://www.amsterdammarathon.nl/home/index.php?language=UK

• Options

lovely - thanks. Am off to register. I actually live in The Hague, (10 years now) and ran the half twice so if any of you need advice re where to stay etc just let me know.

see you all there........

• Options
    Hey Bedders, welcome. Nice to see another Cloggie (or at least adopted cloggie) on the forums. I'm in Ams.

Just done a 4 miler following a week off with flu. Still feel rotten and probably shouldn't have done it but you know what it's like. Need a lie down and a recovery kit kat now...

What mileage is everyone up to for their long runs now? I'm seriously lagging behind!
  • Options
    Ive just done 11 miles today, was supposed to do 12, but the chafing persuaded me to cut it short.  Felt ok apart from that, and did the last 800m or so fast, so reasonably happy.
  • Options
    11 miles for me today too. i fely terrible i had a dodgy stomach all the way.
  • Options

Hi H. I'm doing this having just done an IM so my training is a real mix of swimming bike and a bit of running. Nice to hear from another expat over here.

Hope the flu goes away....   

• Options
    Thx! Feeling much better but still snotty image Impressed by IM. Not impressed by my training... today 5k run, 45 min bike, swedish chocolates and a kit kat image
  • Options
    Hi all

Im running the amsterdam marathon for the second year in a row. did a PB of 3.27 last year but stopped a lot round the soulless industrial estate you run through at about 30km. The crowds are great, especially at the start and finish in the old stadium.

Have been steadily running but need to up my distance, only at 12m at the mo!!

will keep you posted image
  • Options

Hello H.  - Hope that the kit kat helped.

Just entered the full one again, and hope to do it this time.

There area few coming over with me from my club this year, so I will have to show them around - what was the name of that Italian restaurant we went to last year?

I have done a couple of 12's and a 17.5 mile lsr and am due to do about an 18 this weekend.

• Options

Hi everyone - back from hols. Managed to rack up 150km while I was away (including the 30k I did yesterday back in Belgium). Hope everyone is over the Ebola virus or whatever illnesses they've been plagued by. Less than 10 weeks to go now.

Didn't feel too bad on my long run yesterday and for the first time I thought that I might actually be able to run the average pace I need to do to hit my target time (4:37m/km). Was holidaying in French Alps and the running was pretty tough because the temperatures were typically between 28-32C.  Glad we won't be facing anything like that in the 'Dam.

• Options
    Hey M, nice to hear you'll be back for more! Off the top of my head I can't remember the name of the darn restaurant. It'll come to me. Are you staying close by? Looking for the same kind of thing (lots of food for a good price, nothing fancy?) Let me know and I'll see what's going on.

150k TDB! 18 miles M! Erm... I did a long run of 14 miles at the weekend ;-0
  • Options

Hi folks - monster hills session tonight, 12 reps. Was supposed to do 10x on Tues night last week in the Alps.  Urm, let's say I suffered from fear of heights or something.  Couldn't find a good place to run after having been white water rafting and ran out of light.

Anywa, made good tonight.  Worked very hard.  Thought I'd finished and was just about to put my top back on and run the warm down when the garmin started bleeping telling me I had one more rep to do. Argh. Made it anyway. Session is here for anyone interested.

• Options

noooooooooo, I had a colision with our keeper at 6 a side Tuesday and my knee has put me out of action  image

Really hoping the pain will go by the weekend.  Just feels like a bruise, can walk  ok just cant run, it has gor better i think over the last couple of days, so am optimistic

• Options

HI,

If anyone want's a  good hotel deal for amsterdam, find the top secret deal on the travelocity website that is  for a brand new hotel. They don't tell you the hotel name until you book however its the Golden Tulip Fashion Hotel and it looks spot on at only £60 per room (half price) and only 1 mile from the start. The pool and bar did it for me image

• Options

Sadly, having to do a bit of domestic re-prioritisation.  A whole bunch of stuff is coming up in October which means I have to put marathon prep into second place.  Not sure if this means I will run the race or not.

I'll continue with the training as best I can, but there will be much more pressure to skip runs.  Missed my 32k LSR yesterday for example but am still on for my 14 x hill reps tomorrow.  Not sure I can do this in a half-hearted way.  I really need a definitive goal to push myself towards.....

Mmm. Conflicted. But doing the right thing re: priorities. 

• Options
    Sorry to hear that Tricky sounds like you re doing the right thing re priorities- 32k you are joking pllleeasee??!!  My cop out re Amsterdam seems more likely to be money based rather than anything else Cyprus was a v.expensive holiday this year thanks to the rubbish exchange rates/Euro almost as bad as Paris!!   You can always be our guru on the TD thread... guidance needed I think Mr.
  • Options
    Just consider it a long training run then TDB... image  A step towards the next race..
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

H. - got any good restaurant recommendations?  We'll be staying near the Vondelpark (south side).

I last went to Amsterdam three years ago, and went to a nice place not far from the stadium, but I can't remember what it was called, or where it was....  should have paid more attention! image

• Options
    Yes, I would like to keep up the training, even if it means I can push towards a harder toarget for a spring marathon.  Just not sure I'm capable of keeping up the training if I'm not going to cross the start line.
  • Options

Thanks Flump for the hotel info. It is a bit further out than I would have gone for initially but at that price...
    We have booked 3 rooms for 4  nights so it works out at about £275 each for the flight from Bristol, entry and accomodation. I see now that Travelocity are openly advertising that hotel but it is more expensive (about £79.00 per room)

TDB - how about the half? I switched from the full to the half last yearand took a lot off my PB

Wilkie - it would be good to actually meet you.

• Options
    Just looked up were we ate last year - it was La Vita,  Lindengracht 31
  • Options
    Ha ha, one step ahead of me! 
  • Options

It's a thought Musketeer.  Think my current approach will be to just stick with the training as best I can, accepting the possibility that I may not have ideal prep.  Either way, I'll be fitter and stronger than if I was top downgrade my training or just abandon it all together.

Somewhere in my head I have an ultimate goal of sub 3:00 and to get there, I need a sense of being able to build from one marathon to another, without letting my fitness levels drop off after an event.  I didn't do hardly any running for 2 months after Paris marathon in April, and when I came to do a 20K race at the end of May, it was awful....

Got back on track with a 20K run last night and have a LT run at lunchtime.  Cheers everyone.

• Options
    Just checking in. How is everyone? Managed to fit in a 15 miler at weekend but I'm going to be away most of the next month so will struggle for long runs. This isn't going to be pretty!!! I predict being overtaken by zimmer frames and people dressed as monkeys...
  • Options

Ouch - that'll hurt H. if you've not got enough long runs under your belt.  You could compensate for this a little by trying to start your other training sessions without any food on board.  The idea being that you train your body to perform whilst being low on glycogen, which is at least one part of the point for LSRs.

Did interval trainings last night and have a proper butt ache. image

• Options
    Good call TD, might try that.  Does it also work on a hangover image
  • Options

No idea.  Living in Belgium, I have easy access to some amazing beers and really good wine.  I really enjoy 'em.  But something changes when I get into the marathon training schedule.  I've always been a lightweight when it comes to drinking, but I really don't fancy more than a beer or two a week in these times.  I think last marathon I didn't touch a drop for 5 weeks.  The idea of running on a hangover is nightmarish, so good luck to you with that!

• Options
    Decided against the hangover, but managed a nice 18 miler today. Very happy! Might try a decent run tomorrow on tired legs too... see how I go. How's everyone else? Musketeer?

Anyone fancy a good old social when they're here?
  • Options

Have had the flu.  Not done any running for the last 8 days and feel mildly depressed about that. Have mentally let go of my 3h15 goal for Amsterdam. Questions I'm asking myself are:

- when will I ever run again? (as in, "this flue doesn't half hang around")

- should I run a slower full marathon or be realistic about my training and drop down to do the half instead?