Options

Friday 25th April 2003

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ice Maiden - it's out in my part of Cambs too! Everywhere! Don't think it usually affects me much, though it has a pretty ubiquitous aroma round here. I get very mild hay fever, but I think mainly grass pollen. Could be a combination of not enough fluids and a bit of OSR pollen, maybe.
  • Options
    Wet here too, looks well set in.

Happy birthday Linca and happy weekend/racing everyone else.

Singularly unproductive day so far, dispatched younger daughter to friend's house to play only to find teenager plus mate doing band practice right outside my office door. Currently doing Nirvana numbers on their lead and bass guitars.

What: 5 miles with 3 @ 10K pace I think.
    Why: haven't done anything hard since flm and entered for 10K next Wed night. Need to remind myself what 10K pace feels like.
    National relays are off due to injuries in the team.

Right, taking laptop and going somewhere quiet.
    Have a good day all.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday GR!

Swerve-hope the cold clears soon!

Cath-if it's a secret where you're staying it sounds as if your mr is giving you a treat!! Enjoy!

Well I feel quite refreshed now after completing 15 miles on the bike in the pouring rain and even though it was pretty grotty I still got off and did the 5 mile run. So I think I'll enjoy every mouthful of that carrot cake I intend to eat after lumch!

Does the run ever get any easier after getting off the bike? It took me at least 11/2 miles before I ran with any normality.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say GOOD LUCK TO THOSE RACING THIS W/E!!
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone and Happy Birthday Linca and Ginger Runner.

What: run 4 miles easy, weights and abs session, my first spinning class and then swim drills.
    Why: Need to increase my cycling power and spinning was recommended.
    Last rest: Monday 14th.
    Last hard: Wednesday 23rd.

Spinning nearly killed me. Not knowing what was to come I went too hard to start with and really suffered towards the end. Was a good workout though and will make it a regular session from now on.
  • Options
    Thanks for the birthday wishes all!

So far my day has consisted of breakfast, shower, walk to dry cleaners to drop clothes off (going to a wedding not this weekend, but next), walk to pharmacy to pick up some cold relief tablets, lying on the sofa tiredly and reading Fellowship (mines of Moria bit!), lunch, and some light ironing. Now am here, but who knows for how long before I go for a nap! Eh, this getting old thing...I'm feeling it this year!

Haven't had a cake, but had some cards and pressies this morning.

Ginger Runner - happy bday to you! What year were you born?

Given the number of people signed up to the forum, I reckon it is a few forumites' birthday every day.

Wish I could have gone for my run today and I am really fancing a long bike ride after some of you have been talking about it.
  • Options
    Linca, 1971 - getting old now.....
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
  • Options
    hilly -- it's a birthday treat (am 33 on Monday and will be mightily pleased to make it there... and further!) :)
  • Options
    Well, GR you are older than me so we can't be long lost twins.

It is a shame really, I always fancied having a long lost twin.

Any people back from their training runs yet? How did it go?
  • Options
    Hello! Made it here at last - I've finally decided what to do today.
    What: Rest.
    Why: Knackered. Too much work. Marathon caught up with me. And got a lovely migrainous aura at the moment.
    Last hard day: Monday.
    Last rest day: Wednesday.
    Last successful run: Ten days ago.
    Next race: 4th May. Oops!
  • Options
    Howdee folks

What : Opportunity for some daytime LSD  Completed 11.5-12 miles with about 1900 feet of ascent in 1hr54 at a nice low avg HR. the last ascent was hard – took 15 minutes for the full 600ft climb on stop and varying gradient. The odd scatterbrained sheep and a couple of hikers were the only souls out. Well that’s the last long run ahead of next weekends flat 10k
    Why : Opportunity, and I needed to get a long one out of the way but will I be recovered for 16x400m on Sunday?
    Last hard day : I count today
    Last rest : weds

Have a good w/e,
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    V'rap, hope it goes and you're feeling better. Migraines not nice.

Don't know whether other people are the same, but I suspect with heaps of rest, particularly if your more troublesome patients will kindly go and boil their heads, your FLM prep will do equally well for May 4th, no extra tu. involved.
  • Options
    Wise words as usual, Marj!
  • Options
    Take care with the recovery Vrap. You want to enjoy Keswick don't you?

My first hard session in more ways than one, into wind driven rain on the estuary which had me soaked to the skin literally. 5.5 miles, 3 @ just over 10K pace, av 7.20 . Wish this wasn't slower than MikeS's recovery pace! Very tempted to break pledge not to drink until next bank holiday.

Have a good weekend all.
  • Options
    Enjoy yourself Laura. The one race I gave up drink for was my worst performance.

7.20 miling into the wind is no mean feat. You deserve a couple of glasses.
  • Options
    What: 40 mins (plus big hill) fast
    Why: only 3rd session this week, ended up resting yesterday - only had 40 mins so thought keep the HR at around the 75 to 80% and push myself
    Good luck racers - Laura - break the pledge!
  • Options
    Happy Birthday to Linca and Ginger Runner!

Well done Laura L on your run!

sounds like a challenging one sfh legs.....well done!

After being up 18hrs yesterday, Slept most of today, as in work tonight, so couldnt do a great deal.

What: 16km hard cycle on the turbo trainer
    followed by a 5km run in the rain.

Why: Triathlon training and also got my insole for my left shoe yesterday, wanted to test it out.

Last Hard: Wednesday

Last Rest: Thursday

Bye and happy training/racing over the weekend.

• Options
    Happy birthday GR & Linca,

It's been dry all day, but raining now 8pm.

What: 8M steady off road
    Why: building endurance
    Last rest: 8 days
    Last hard: yesterday.
  • Options
    Hello
    What nothing
    Why meetings at work all day and I haven't started doing any proper training yet.
  • Options
    Laura - 7:20 pace into the teeth of driving rain definitely wouldn't represent much of a recovery for me. Well done.

take it easy Vrap

Had an absolute shocker this evening doing the 4 x 1 mile session. So much for the "spiking" idea - I can only presume I hadn't recovered from the 3 sessions Mon - Wed.

Legs didn't feel particularly heavy - but the maximum mile pace I could ever coax out of them was 6:08 - and had to insert a "recovery" hole in the middle third of the 3rd mile interval. Maybe should have canned the whole session at that point.
    Average HR for the session was only 155 when normally it would be up in the low - mid 160s. Classic overtraining symptom - mind you, there was that extra 1/3 mile spent jogging,

Trouble is, on my next 5K race next Wednesday, I'll have this (& my almost complete lack of any "quality pace" running in my legs) at the back of my mind, and will be much less confident of hanging onto any group or pack I might find myself in.

2 games of cricket at the weekend at least offers an opportunity to forget about it for a bit.....
  • Options
    What: rest - yesterday's anticipated fun 10k off piste turned out to be a 10k hill time trial on forestry trails - and nobody had warned me!

Happy Birthday Linca and Gr, while it still is.