Options

Humber Bridge Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hello mate do you know if this fills up quickly,I have just run my first mile in nearly eight months because of injury but with a bit of luck will be fit for this one.
  • Options
    Genghis wrote (see)
    Well anyone else doing this?

Yes, I am doing this race.  the 9 mile in this race is tough.... a massive hill.... I found this course challenging last year.. it was hot and hilly.....

No Mas image

• Options

No Mas

Bring it on it will be easy then Grantham Canal which I dunn for 6H.15

See You There

• Options

I'm a newbie runner and hoping to be up to 10k distance in a couple of weeks [as per my training plan] and then after that looking to train for a half as I've got a place on the GNR. Looking at "practising" on this one...might be a bit ambitious actually being as we're in March already. Hmm, does anyone know how quickly this one tends to fill up? I might leave off entering a bit and see how I get on.

• Options

Hi Clare,

I did this as my first half last year and finished in 2hrs 38mins and there was loads of runners behind me. I just used it to get an idea of pace for the GNR, this race is hilly so the GNR felt easy after this. I am not sure about filling up quick i don't think it fills straight away although it was in RW as one of the top races in 2008 and they are plugging it like mad on the local radio!!

• Options
    Nicky R thank you so much that's exactly what I needed to hear! I just want to have some idea of what to expect when I do the GNR, without the pressure of such a big event and all my family there! A bonus too if it makes the GNR seem easier by comparison. Think I'll be entering this one.
  • Options
    Speedy37 wrote (see)

No Mas

Bring it on it will be easy then Grantham Canal which I dunn for 6H.15

See You There

Speedy 37  - I will be well prepared this time round and am looking to smash that Hill..... lets hope that the heat and humidty are not with us again.....

No Mas image

• Options
    Anyone done both leeds half and humber bridge? I am signed up to both and can't wait. I know the leeds course very well so sort of know what to expect - everyone says humbbridge is hilly but is it more so than leeds - just for interest sake .. I won't be put off!!
  • Options

Love this race, its not a speedy speedy one but its got fab views and a challenging route, My 4th time at Humber, the hill at 9 miles is a bitch but also watch for the bridge itself on the return.... it can be quite nasty too if your really tired and struggling.

• Options
    Yeah a few of us from Hartsholme runners have got our eyes on this one!
  • Options
    I am in too.....never done it and looking forward to it.  I am just coming back to running, and was delighted to run 37 minutes, 1 second, for the Lincoln 10k on Sunday..............would like to do around 1 hour 25 minutes for this, but maybe that's ambitious ha ha
  • Options
    Can anyone give me a lift for this event at all.I from Sleaford
  • Options
    David Robertson5 wrote (see)

Love this race, its not a speedy speedy one but its got fab views and a challenging route, My 4th time at Humber, the hill at 9 miles is a bitch but also watch for the bridge itself on the return.... it can be quite nasty too if your really tired and struggling.

I agree 100%... that hill at 9 miles  is a killer... it was last year in the heat.. it is where I blew up..

No Mas image

• Options

this is a fab race

I had a nightmare in the heat when i did it in , er 2006?

but a fab race

well organised

• Options
    Signed up to this as I'm from near Hull, now live in London, thought it'd be nice to race up north. Am intimidated though - will be my 4th half but the other three (reading twice, royal parks) were pretty flat and beginner-friendly. Gonna start hill-training this week!!
  • Options

I'm gonna run this one too!image and yeah there is the nasty hill and the bridge, there and back but it's a good race.

• Options

A good race, but not if you like heights image made me go quicker over the bridge though. The hill on 9m is tough, but it is a fast finish back along the bridge to the finish. It's worth getting there early though because the parking and toilets were badly organised last year.

• Options

PH - you did it the same year as me - it was a scorching day and they had the water nicked cos they put the bottles out the day before image

My friend used to live just over the Humber Bridge in Barton and is now couple of miles down road in Barrow Upon Humber.  I think i will be trying it again although not done much running this year - like Claire S I will be just aiming to get round as doing GNR in September and want to get the distance under my belt to prove to myself i can do it again. So I will be coming along M62 for the weekend.

My best mate says there are signs everywhere and everytime she sees them she thinks of me! Its one of my favourite half's - best one for me is Macclesfield! Its a week after the GNR and depending on how my legs are I am seriously thinking of doing it. 

• Options
    I'm thinking about doing this, just did the Sheffield half yesterday which was my first half and I loved it!, can anyone tell me if the profile is similar to Sheffield?, I keep hearing about the killer hill but not sure how much of a killer this really is?
  • Options

hi

i'm doing this one; my first ever half marathon.

similar question to rach above; is this 9 mile hill a long incline or is it a steep brief incline?? (does that make sense??)

better get some hills into the training!!image

• Options
    Take a look at the course map http://www.humber-half.org.uk/OroviaMAP09.pdf the major hill is gravel pit lane just before the 9 mile marker and lasts for a mile - so it's both long and steep!! You definately need hill training as also the bridge is not flat and there is a steep incline coming off the bridge into Barton just before 4 miles image 
  • Options
    Hi everyone, Ran my fastest half of the year here last year and while its a long hill, its not too steep.

A word of advice though - dont go to the pasta party at the Premier Inn - it was shocking last year IMHO.
  • Options

Im a Scunny boy and I never tried it, but am doing it this year.

Did a cracking time for me on Sunday at Sheffield of 81 minutes and 29 seconds......so ready to smash the Humber Bridge one in June.............if it get's too tough and hot, at least I can throw myself off the bridge image

• Options
    Anyone from Lincolnshire going?
  • Options
    I'm thinking of doing this, Speedy - if I can raise the bridge toll by then image
  • Options

I'll probably be entering this again.  Got the Woodhall Spa 10km the week before and the Edinburgh marathon the week before that - will keep me busy!  Just a shame the Potter's 'arf is on the same day as I did both last year so I'm going to miss out on that one this year.

• Options
    Yeah im trying to get a groupof us  from Hartsholme runners Lincoln to go, unoficial club champs!!
  • Options

Chris Bayliss 2

Hopefully I want to go.Because last year.It was a mix up.Hopefully my club will go.If Not can I have a lift at Lincoln.My mum will take me there and you pick me up at all.If Possible?

• Options
    Dont see why not Speedy37 . what club are you a member of?
  • Options

Sleaford Town Runners

Its only a back up.If Know going.My mum easy take me to Lincoln that Morning or I go on the Train to meet you.OK if any changes I will call you?image