Options

Birmingham and Black Country Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Jeez, it's come round quick! Quite excited about this one now..

Number is 463 and not 587 as I had previously thought.

I will be in an orange Kalenji top and black shorts. Going off at 1030 so expecting to come in around 1230 weather permitting (light rain, light breeze please)!

Look forward to seeing you all for a beer tomorrow afternoon...

and good luck!

Ade
  • Options

buck - I do indeed - work for the same company (I'm sure we had this conversation last year!)

just had my mountain of pasta, now got to get my stuff together and hopefully an early night. All the usual quandaries to decide: ipod or not ipod? bottle belt or bottle? hat or not? blah blah blah....

• Options

oh bugger yeah i remember now... not sure where were goin but as i get a free beer there i guess its a good place to start...

see u tomorrow

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Good luck all, have a good one - I wish I could be there with you (esp the pub afterwards....)

I may have to come up during October.... 

effortlessnow - I did reply to your e-mail.

• Options
    yay! join us for the Brum Half Mr K image (though I'll see you in Sept anyway image )
  • Options

see you tomorrow guys

<<<<bounce>>

<<bounce>>

<<bounce>>

overexcitedimage

• Options

Yikes - its today

Hardly any sleep and the sky looks remarkably blue. image

And an email timed at 4.30 am from RW saying ' hope you had a great race, lets have your feedback'image  Does that mean its all a dream?

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

awake at 3amimage

see you laters taters

• Options

Lovely run, well organised.  Finish time 79 mins, back at the hotel now having a shower.

• Options

Barnsley.....nice one well done on a great time. I managed a 97:30 which I am reasonalby happy with (always that thought in the back of your mind, if only I ran that a little quicker), but I know I cannt complain at that time.

Its a great course, has all the indications it should be a PB course but its not for some strange reason. Great computer at the end, type in your number, up comes your time.

Buck, nice to meet you, I did go the P&P but must of missed you as I mulled around for a while first.

Road Kill, sorry I didnt come over to your table in P&P but I had met up with another friend.

Hot Tub, I was on the table behind you in the P&P, I will try to say hello next time.

Sorry I missed the rest of you, till next time image

Well done to the organisers, marshalls and volunteers. An awesome event, and looking forward to the next one.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

wow well doneimage

I was on target, at 9 miles, but it then all fell apart somewhat!

However, I still have a PB by 4minutes.........................2:21

I was hoping for 2":10 but it was my lack of distance training that got me.

Great to meet you Yeti, well done on your time, also Good to see you again Far Farimage

Chugged along the last copule of miles with 2 chaps who kept me going, thanks guys, whoever you are!!image

great race, will do it again!

• Options

wow, some fab time! - I didn't know about the computer at the end - shame! anyway, I don't think will be far out - just over 2 hrs for me, also not quite a PB -but my garmin said nearly 13.4miles

I did think it was a fab event though - just a bit different. strange that you would expect it to be a PB course and so many peeps have found it tough - I found the bridges fine at 1st - but they got a bit painful towards the end!

lovely to meet Yeti and Plodding Hippo - and to see LJB1 and the lovely Spence!

defiitely be back next year

• Options

I haven't posted in this forum at all but I just wanted to say what an amazing race this was!  It was my first half marathon and I finished in 2:08.  My goal was originally 2:10. I had a fabulous time and seriously thank all of the organizers and everyone along the route that gave me a thumbs up of encouragement!!

The last 3 miles were by far the toughest for me.  I have never in my life used so much willpower to get me through them.  The course in itself was really enjoyable.  The tunnel was a bit scary but I loved all the yells and cheers I heard when going through it!! 

I love my medal and will cherish this experience!!

To those of you who ran the race.. CONGRATS!!!

And wow, what fast times some of you have!! I will need to know your secrets for my next half!! image

• Options

Just to echo some of the other comments, why is this race so tough?? Still I knocked 5 mins off last year's time despite the course being a tad long (13.3 miles) according to my Garmin, and having to stop 3 miles from the finish to answer a call of nature image.

Well done to the organisers for doing such a great job. This is a unique race and now one which is firmly established as a must-do even if I do ache in new places. I did remember my nipple tape though.

• Options
    spence - was that you talking to yeti at the beginning???
    i was the bournville harrier who came up to talk to her - short grey hair and specs
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Yes, that was me!image

Glad the nipples were ok Booster!

• Options

i said i was dreading it, and i have avoided this race
    but actually it was fab - really impressed by the boat drink stations

and that people were prepared to sit out in the heat for hours and hours to marshall

thank you to all those people

who won?
    i saw mac from stourbridge running along as i was passing the canal on the train on the way in and wondered if he was in front

• Options
    oh blimey spence, i would have said hello had i realised, i thought you were a mate of yeti's, which obviously you are as we all are lol, but i meant a friend from outside the forum
  • Options
    i did not bother checking my result and i am now regretting it
    anyone know how long it took them to get them online lst year?
  • Options

Hi All - many thanks to everyone who ran this year. The marshals were well pleased with the positive feedback from you all during the event - it really makes a difference so thanks for that. Hope you all enjoyed it inspite of the heat and the lumpy bits.

Back next year with a few improvements we hope. Onwards and upwards.

Results on the web later today.

• Options

Great race hoping for better than 2.19 thought I had 2.12 but didn't realise the tunnels mucked the Garmin up typed in my number at the end and got 2.16 something so pleased.

I thought it was a great run well organised and would do it again next year.

Will try for sub 2.15 in Birmingham when it is colder.

Well done everyone!

• Options

lucie - this is a half marathon thread - hardly long distance
    you should look on the "tri" section of this forum where there are people who run 145 miles for fun

• Options

great race, really enjoyed it.  the marshalls were lovely, and the guys manning the drinks stations on the boats equally so.  it was a tad hot in the middle stage, but a nice breeze by the end.  my garmin registered 13.34miles though so possibly slightly long?  wouldn't put me off doing it again though.  

also, does anyone know if the guy who was laid on the grass at 10.6miles ish was ok.  i stopped and gave a packet of energy beans and made sure he was ok, but he didn't want me to stay with him.  someone was on their way to help but i'd still like to hear that he was ok.  

• Options

i think in terms of the distance - this is a trail run so not necessarily exact

• Options

Garmin measured 13.27 but usually races have to add on an extra 1% to guard against a short course.

I think it was a guy in a gold Holmfirth Harriers vest won in a time of 79 mins.

IMHO the course was slow due to the fact it is mainly off-road, so your feet are spending a fraction longer on the ground with a softer surface as opposed to running on the road.  Also those bridges really are sapping by the end.  I lost 20 secs in the tunnel as well.

To the person who asked about improving times, I find getting up at 5.30 every morning so I can fit in 2 runs most days helps with reducing race times.

Really enjoyed everything about the day.

• Options

pmpl

just had to check back as that time sounded familiar

well done!!!

• Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Really enjoyed the race alhough I went too fast at the start. Last 3 miles were really hard but just managed to sneak under 1:50.

Wind was a bit against today which also probably contributed to add a bit to the times.

Definitely one to do again next year.

• Options

just looked at the results

chrisM - very speedy

• Options

Superb event from start to finish.

Organisers and marshals were excellent! I was slighty disappointed not to sneak under 2 hours but it was my 2nd one in 6days image

Massive thanks to Mr K who allowed me to take his place and take part in the event, cheers mate and i will be sending you an email.

Back next year for sure!