Comments

• Options

oh yeah, so are the photos too

stuart

• Options
    lurker. wrote (see
    )
    i did not bother checking my result and i am now regretting it
    anyone know how long it took them to get them online lst year?

Well you can check now, you've clearly never heard of stuweb race timing!!!

I was going to do the SMS thing but realised on half the forms that we forgot to ask for a mobile number ( allthough most gave one)  Next year, and we'll probably do a split mat too.

Stuart

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Sh*t and f*cking bo$$ocks!!

my offical time is 2:26??????? how can that be when Gary The Garmin says 2:21??????

no PB for meimageimageimageimage

• Options
    Thanks Lurker - looks like I took the cameraman by surprise too as I seem to have been missed off the finishing photos!
  • Options

I think your garmin stops in the tunnels....  get a proper stopwatch!

No sure though as most people were saying ooh bang on etc etc  people with garmins have been commenting....

we had the same last year.  

As for the photos its something we do as a best effort.  It was adams first day  and he did well

The other factor is that there is a lot of foot traffic and its not always possible to get the shot.

Mick Hall was supposed tol be on the course.. Did anyone see him?

• Options
    Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭

Quick question Stuart: the finishing positions - is there a reason why the 'elite' runners are given different finishing positions from the rest of the runners? I'm down as finishing 4th but there are eight other finishers ahead of me. I'll take fourth any day!

Echo Barnsley Runner about the nature of the surface just taking it out of you a bit over the course of the race. My Garmin measured 13.28, but this could be because signal was lost under a few of the bridges and tunnels, and some of the turns were quite tight.

I loved the race BTW, first time I've done a time trial race and it was an odd experience. Found it difficult to get my head into race mode and not training run mode. Was a touch disappointed with my performance as I think I could have gone a few minutes quicker but hayfever got the better of me on the day.

I have little to fault with the race really, other than a few of the cup drop bins were way too close to the actual drink stations so, unfortunately, cup had to go on floor. 

Now I know the course, I think I'll be back next year!

• Options
    Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    If Mick Hall is a photographer then there was one at 5 or so miles? Standing on the other side of the canal - had a professional looking camara and lens.
  • Options
    ^ Yep, I saw that photographer as well! Can't wait to see those photos if they are posted sometime??
  • Options

The Elites are racing against themselves, eventually I will sort them out as a complete list.  But if you want to win a proper prize then you would need be in the elite wave.

The TT format is great for the majority of runners but its not fair for the people who are fast as runners behind get the benefits of pacing/chasing

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Stuart, I'm only mad at myself !!

It was a great course and the marshals were great I even saw, quite unexpectedly some neighbours manning the mile 7 water station!

and I'll do it again......................and try to go faster!!image

• Options

Spence I think you did really well.  Don't worry yourself - think about the experience.  I don't know about anyone else but I had a blast!

When is the next one in Birmingham??? image

• Options
    Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the explanations Stuart - not too fussed about the prize, just happy to say I finished fourth in the main time trial race. Something to brag about back at the club and to my friends!
  • Options

Yes the elite wave does work well, although one had to put down a predicted time of sub 80 mins, and if the last 2 years' results are studied that would leave a very small wave indeedimage

Re. the results, I am down as 2nd in my category but 1st in the race and the guy in 2nd seems to be 4th in his category, despite being a M30-39 like myself.  Is there a hidden meaning there?

Overall I think it's a marvellous effort to put all this on, and both start and finish areas are perfect settings.  Any plans to have a marathon going out and back from Brindley Place?  That would be good.

• Options
    The categories are all bit squiff as you are all in different events.  After wednesday ( I give people time to comment, question etc) I do a proper sort/group etc
  • Options
    Barnsley Runner wrote (see)

Overall I think it's a marvellous effort to put all this on, and both start and finish areas are perfect settings.  Any plans to have a marathon going out and back from Brindley Place?  That would be good.

The logistics of  doing a marathon are quite hard, as we can't re-use the same drinks stations for the number of marshals doubles a fair bit.  It would also be pretty convoluted to keep it all one way.  The public transport to this event also makes it excellent

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Leah VanDerMolen wrote (see)

Spence I think you did really well.  Don't worry yourself - think about the experience.  I don't know about anyone else but I had a blast!

When is the next one in Birmingham??? image

you know what Leah, I had a blast tooimage just a bit annoyed at myself, but after  a few glasses of wine I'm feeling much better and will return next year!!image

sorry Stuart I wasn't having a go at you earlierimage

• Options
    Spence so glad you have fun.  Honestly, not to sound preachy but if it isn't fun, whats the point?? I understand being annoyed at yourself.  I felt a little annoyed at myself too, but whats done is done.... just work at your PR next race!! image
  • Options

did anyone get a pb?
    just looking at the times people have posted on fetch and i can't see anyone on there yet
    which makes me feel better as i was 10 minutes over my pb, i was expecting to be over as i will admit to not really training for it - only decided to do it on tuesday  - and the walk through the tunnel added a bit, but not by 10 minutes

• Options

just catching up - fab post race social in Brindley Place(great atmosphere) helped by the weather and jazz band,  and ensuing 2 hours sleep from exertions(not the alchoholimage)

first timer and thought organisation was great - Stu, thanks for taking a hands on approach via the thread.  A very busy day for you and yet you have still found time to do that image

i train on canals most Sundays, but have to say found running fairly tough today.  Wont go into the analysis, has anyone got 3 hours image  I was a good 10 minutes over normal time.

Great to meet up with some old faces Jenni, Rich, Mike - and new  Ruth, at last we met. Sorry i did not see the rest of you on here. image

Nice change to run on a Saturday too - can recuperate tomorrow!

• Options
    Barnsley.....bloody well done mate.

Lurker, thank you but I put it down to the thought of the beer at the end. image

Spence, I hope you didnt punch the screen.

LJB, lie in tomorrow image

• Options

update on Mick Hall photos - he has a space ready on his Trail album - allow up to 48 hours for viewings.

• Options
    excellent event, far better than last year because of the bigger groups. also prefer races on saturdays.
  • Options

yay, I had a lovely time if I forget about how long it took me!!

I took some photos on the way round and they're here

there's some official photos here

including one of me (which I've bought)

was great to see so many friends once again . . LJB1, and Lurker, and PH of course . . and others who I'm too tired to think of their names!!

• Options

Well impressed with the race.  Even tho me and my m8 were last to come through - we make a habit of this - i've checked the results and amazing.... I wasn't the slowest!  Thats a real boost for me!

So yes, I did a PB, thatmakes my only other HM a PW.

I enjoyed the route (except for the very dark bit inside the tunnel), though the bunch of bridges were a little sneaky and sapped what little energy I did have.  Also because we left in the last wave, by the time we got past the 8m marker, the sun was well and truly out.

I agree about the cup drop points - they need to be moved further away.   Can anyone tell me - cuz of course you'd all gone by the time we were at the water stations - how the hell you drink from a cup on the move?  I nearly choked myself.  I really dont want to stop once i'm in a bit of a rhythm,whats the trick?

I thort the organisers did a great job, thank you to you all.  everyone was very friendly and encouraging. The route was clearly marked. the start and finish areas were excellent - a really great experience.  ( the only thing would be if the slower estimated runners could go out in an earlier wave, so that we wern't so strung out at the back - and could get to run around the other runners - bit of incentive and support.  We ran the whole thing bascally, on our own - and held up the finish be quite a bit I guess.  As long as the slowees are instructed to stay to the left of the paths ther'd be room for others to pass by, it wouldve made us feel more a part of the event - instead of being taggd on at the back)

Goody bag????? wot goody bag????? presume that there wernt any left for us back markers!

overall - a great event, well organised, brill end point - fab atmosphere there - ill be back next year - hopefully not so far back tho! thanks.

• Options

Setting the slowest runners off earlier might cause a problem in the tunnel if a faster runner happened to need to overtake at that point.  The rest of the route would not be a problem.  Most of the guys at the front were strung out and ended up running solo races - I didn't see a soul from 2 miles onwards.  Fortunately I'd taken my mp3 player and enjoy the Industrial Revolution period!

An extra treat visiting Brum was being able to see the Matthew Boulton exhibition at the Birmingham Museum.

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

A good event, very well organised.  Ran it about five minutes slower than anticipated although I was well on target until the sun came out. 

I thought that the drinks stations were well organised, the unofficial one at 8 or so a nice touch as was two members of the public offering bottled water.  No problems passing other runners and not very muddy apart from a few patches which I was worried about.

My only complaints are that my Garmin measured it as 13.4 miles, don't know if that includes the tunnels where the signal was lost, the finish was a little confusing with the finish sign on the bridge some 20 metres before the mats, some 800 metre etc markers might have been nice too.

Overall a very good race, certainly look to do this again next year.

I'll echo Jbelly77s concerns and ask about the welfare of the guy we say collapsed at about 10.6 miles.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    I agree Barnsley, I'm a slow one and I would have hated to hold anyone up in that tunnel!!
  • Options

i was held up in the tunnel behind a whole load of people walking, as i had caught up with the group who went off in frint of me - and there were faster people than me behind me

i didn't like it and wanted to get through as fast as possible, however, not much you can do about it - it's just not a race you can get a pb easily

• Options

Hi all. Thanks for all the commnets - good to get reaction. - better that it is mostly positive. Proves we are getting it (mostly right). Stu and my first year of putting this one on so I hope we covered msot of the concerns from 2009 and will certainly tweak again for 2010 (maybe 3 for 1 on the beer?)

St John were not overly busy in spite of the heat - so I guess you all made good use of the floating drink stations! Without commenting on specifics - we have no reports of "serious" problems that were not resolved by hydration and a rest.

Hope you are all recovering well.