Options

Abingdon Marathon Training

Well I'll start off with...

I'm ill but having managed an appauling effort at the gym yesterday I'm decided not to try again until friday.

I have weighed myself and promised my body I will try harder in the food and drink department. I will eat lots of fruit and veg.

Then the training...

I'm going to do run walks for my long runs but continuous running on other runs. I'm also dusting off the oush bike and swimming more. With all this said, the long weekend becons

Friday: 4miles + swim
Satuday: Swim or Class
Sunday: 5-6miles + swim

Before October I have 2 half marathons, 1/2 5ks, 1 10miler and possibly a few 10ks.

So what are the rest of you planning to kick start you training?

And please feel free to boot me up the bum if I come back with excuses why I've not trained.

Comments

• Options
    I'm taking the day off (as I did yesterday) after a rather intensive start of the week. On Mondaymorning I did my long run (6-7 m easy), and on Tuesday evening I did my first orienteering event which I will do every week until the end of June. I will treat that as my speed session of the week, as it involves lots of shorter and longer bursts of speed and uphill and downhill.

After that everything hurt (and I have been reading my book about injuries again and that usually causes all the symptoms I've read about as well :-) so some rest, and a short easy run and lots of stretching tomorrow.

Current short term goals: trail 10k on 8 June, RFL 22 June, orienteering 'races' weekly.
  • Options
    Today is REST for me.... Niggling foot and knee injuries and found out my trainers may need dumping.... Also trying to get into see a Physio.

• Options
    My plan..

2 x 3m run [before work] during the week; followed by stretches and yoga

1 x 3+m run - increasing distance by 1 mile every 2-3 weeks [before or after work, midweek]

1 longer one on the weekend - run/walk + 2-3 miles walking to increase the time on my feet; 30 mins of yoga after long run

Cross-training each week: one circuits class at the gym or one session of weight training and ab/back exercises; one session of yoga.

Intending to run about 8m plus walk 3 this weekend.

Races planned: Hogsmill 5; RFL Hampstead; either Orion Chingford or Crowthorne; Dartford 1/2; Battersea 1/2; Windsor 1/2

If anyone experienced was willing to have a quick look at my planned schedule (could email the excel sheet to them) I'd be grateful...
  • Options
    Tulips, a three-day training weekend immediately following a dose of tonsillitis may well leave you completely whacked out, so be prepared NOT to regard it as a failure if you have to modify your plans slightly. You've done a marathon already this year (and, I seem to remember, enjoyed it) and you have loads of time to build up to a faster and more comfortable marathon at Abingdon.

Good luck and happy training, all. I suspect this thread will run and run. I shall butt out now because I am not, no way, doing an autumn marathon and the best way to resist temptation is not to seek it out in the first place.
  • Options
    Oh go on V-Rap, you know you want to....
  • Options
    Nope. I don't. I really, really don't. And a flock of pigs just flew past my window...ooops, no, it was just a hail of bullets and a stray football from Aston Villa.

Until about three weeks beforehand, I was abolutely not going to do Reading. That was different, though. That was a half-marathon. There's no Wall in a half-marathon, and no weekend-wrecking 20-mile runs in the six weeks before a half-marathon.

My target for the rest of this year is to improve my PBs for 10K and half-marathon distance before I enter a new age category next March and start all over again.
  • Options
    I just entered this marathon madness to make the halfs look shorter!
  • Options
    VRAP

We want VRAP, We want VRAP.

What sort of Doc do you call yourself when you don't help out your virtual patients.

You know it makes sense and just think of the good it's doing you!!!

Don't forget to practise what you preach to your patients!!! :))
  • Options
    basic weekly training as follows:-

Mon-5miles easy
    Tue-8m fartleck
    Wed-track session(2hrs)
    Thu-8m easy
    fri-swim(2hrs)
    Sat-rong run 12m building up to 22m)
    Sun-rest

races planned

8/5 silverstone 10k
    22/6 local 5m fun run
    6/7 orion 10m
    16/7 Riegate priory 10k
    3/8 Harlow 10m
    21/9 battersea marathon
    19/10 Abingdon
  • Options
    The furthest I'm intending to go is 20 miles... did 18 I think before my last one and got around ok on the day.

Will see you at some of those races, LL!
  • Options
    look forward to it SM
  • Options
    Hi, day of rest today after a speed session yesterday and cross training and a steady run on Tuesday.

Have 3 10ks coming up in May. After that plan to do Great Scottish Run in Sept and maybe the Moray Half or 10k in August. Planning a cycling holiday in July to Holland will count it as cross training.

Plan to start longer runs in June after the 10ks and will run 30min walk 3 mins for these.

Advise appreciated regarding training.
  • Options
    Jane:
    Cycling to Holland? Shortest route must be cycle from Aberdeen to Rosyth, Ferry to Belgium, and another couple of hours cycling and you're there :)
    What routes are you planning in Holland? Let me know if you want more info. (I'm Dutch)
  • Options
    Hi,

Legless, do you have any details about the Harlow 10M ? I would like to run it.

I have Hogsmill in May, Borenham Wood 1/2M in June and Amsterdam 1/2M in October. At the moment I am trying to up my mileage to 21K on my long runs and am suffering a lot with tiredness.
    Good luck with your training, Peeps!
  • Options
    when in June is the Borehamwood one AS?
  • Options
    I would be interested to know about the Harlow one also.

• Options
    Awww Spud
    There you go. Just found the link

http://www.thehrc.org.uk/harlow10.php

ScamperMouse
    Borehamwood is 22nd June
  • Options
    Thank you very much Peeps!!
  • Options
    oh well saved me a job I spose.............

Harlow is a good course and fairly flat
  • Options
    Sorry Legless, I sent you an email about the race. you will not need to answer it after all ;)
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmm. Supposed to go out for a run tomorrow morning to keep to the schedule but the weather forecast says it will be pishing.

So do I sack the gym this evening and do a run instead?

• Options
    Don't you like running in the rain?
  • Options
    I'll be honest, when I'm having to drag my bones out of bed at 5.45am to do so, I think it's fairly likely that I'll wimp out alltogether. I'm going to the London social before going out with the boyf tomorrow night, so no chance of a run in the evening.

Oh hell, I know what I SHOULD do...
  • Options
    I had no idea you have to run so early. It must be tough... by the way, I love your picture. Good luck with your training!
  • Options
    I've found that I quite like the early ones - and then I know that I've got my run in for the day! Especially as I'm trying to build up my miles... I only do 3-4 miles in the mornings but it helps. Have a 75 min commute across town so I have to get up pretty early :-)

I'm off for my 3 miler now - I know it's the right thing :-) and then I can have a lie in tomorrow!
  • Options
    ScamperMouse
    I am the same as you. 5.45 for me too...

If you do it, I will!!! :))
  • Options
    RRR - I did!

Well, I've just been out for my run, as I couldn't go tomorrow morning.

Distance 4.140 inc warm up
    Best pace 6'27"/Avg pace 9'52"
    Max speed 9.3m/Avg Speed 6m

Now it's time for The Stick and some yoga. And then I'll have to forage for my dinner...

• Options
    SM
    Did you buy one of those sticks at the FLM expo. I had a demo and thought they were brill. Didn't buy it though.

Reveal all. Am interested