Why oh why can`t races start earlier

Isn`t it time that races start early on Sundays. I have been a running races for 17 years and now cannot understand why the majority of local races start at 10, 11am when everyone else is out too. In the USofA, they have races starting at 7, 8am.  So the question is everyone, would you enter a race which starts at 7 or 8am before every shop, driver and zombie is around.

Comments

• No, cos most races require some travelling distance for me, so would mean me getting up in the middle of the night to have my pre-race brekkie.
  • No i would NOT...I work nights and value my sleep nights...getting up at 8am on race mornings is plenty early enough for me thanks..image
  • No, but 9 am would be nice.
  • B*ll*cks to that..... i help out at a lot of races.  I get up at 5am, and then have to travel anywhere between  one or two hours to get there in time for set-up etc.   You want a race to start that early....... then get yer rellies to help out.

• race at 10 means i can eat at 7, which is about my minimum to not see my food diring the race.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    No thanks, not for me either. I don't drive so travel to races by bicycle and/or train. A 10 am start puts most races in the region within reach, 11 is better. Any earlier and I wouldn't be able to do most of the races that I do. Example - I live in Reading and have the Bracknell half this Sunday, start time 9 am. There's only one train that gets me there in time. Probably not an issue in the States because everyone has a car.
  • Nor for me either. Have you tried relying on public transport in a rural area on Sunday?
  • So that's a resounding 'no' then!
  • It is from me Candy
  • No way, i'd prefer them to start around 12 or peferably later, especially in this country when it's normally freezing at 10am.
  • 10 for me please.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Lardarse, if you don't mind me asking ... just what is that avatar of yours? Looks vaguely rude ...
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

10.00 o`clock is early enough for a Sunday race, slightly later is better thou.. but each to thier own

I race on Saturdays already (5Km Parkruns) @ 9.00am so any `lie-ins` on Sundays are greatly apprecaited.

• Go on Lardarse, answer Mutley's question, i'm intrigued now image
  • Just something i found on google, it's a knot in a tree....

though i suspect someone has photoshopped it to make it look slightly rude.... image

• 10/10.30 is good for me. I usually race at half mara distance and live in the North East so need to travel for most races (except the GNR of course image), so later starts mean I don't need to get up at an awful hour. Having three kids 5 and under, I value any sleep I can get!!!
  • I take on board everything that's been said above, and for most races I think 10 is fine.

Two of the last 3 years though the FLM has been on a pretty warm day.  Starting that an hour earlier would mean a lot less people struggling in the early afternoon heat.

• 11 is more than early enough for me!!!!
  • i'm an early riser and wouldn't object to 7 or 8 o clock starts but 9 or 10 is fine too and I understand it is more convenient for many.

What I hate, though, is the winter when races start at daft times like 2pm etc. the whole day is wasted because you are kicking your heels until race time.

• Aargh... I just realised my 1/2 on Sunday is at 8.30 and nearly had a heart attack!

Have to say even 10am is pushing it for me!

• If you want early starts - you could try cycling time trials - you can start those from 6am. Thats lots of fun...
  • I didnt ! I much prefer the relaxed timings of running races ! image
  • the bracknell half is at 9am?

Bang goes my lie in...

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    as cougs and JJ say - try bike races for early starts or triathlons which often start between 6 and 7am..........it's like getting up before you go to bed....
  • I'm not a mornign person. In fact I'd prefer it if more races had an evenign start time.
  • Le Touquet 10k and 20k - start at 4.00 pm image

Time to have moules and frites, and a glass of wine image

• No from me too, purely because I rely on public transport. I live near a town centre too so can't imagine how much of a pain it is for people in more rural areas.
  • I use public transport too and it's usually s**t on Sundays, so I prefer to race 09:30 onwards.