Options

Are Orthotics really THAT brilliant?

Comments

• Options

Hi Hayley & Sopers

1/2 M was Loch leven which was just great to finish, just about bring a tear to a glass eye the feelign of getting over that line. On tri front my swimming sucks as well, all those horrors of school swimming lessons come flooding back. I am just starting out on this so am going to get swimming lessons therefore it will be a while before I can "compete" as it is a 750m swim which if I tried just now would lead to my lovely wife being able to collect on the life insurance.

In the meantime I will do the MH 10k and thinking about the Glasgow half.

• Options

Hia Sophers!

I go to Pittodrie Podiatry Clinic on King Street in Aberdeen and see Emily there.  She is really nice and down to earth and is all about the feet and not the money - so much so that she believes (as does her Podiatry Professor and nigh on half the Podiatry world) that the majority of people do not need custom-made orthotic insoles, i.e. when your feet are moulded and insoles are tailor made just for the contours of your feet.  The general consensus now is that, in alot of cases, prescribed insoles - reputable ones - work just as well (and sometime better) as they can be gradually adjusted to allow your feet time to get used to the new position that insoles bring.  I've got full length Vasyli & Danenbergs and they are brill!  She hasn't put any additional adjustments in yet, because she wants me to get used to my new foot position, so I will go back in about 6 weeks to see if I need further support or not.

I did look at another Podiatrist in town, but he only did moulds and custom-made and the price difference was unbelievable.  My consultation with Emily was £60 and my insoles were £50.  I don't pay any extra for adjustments.  For the other guy it was going to be the guts of £400 all in!!

Its my rest day today but I feel good and am looking forward to another run tomorrow!   Look forward to hearing back from you Sophers!

Hia Tony - It will be good to know how your swimming lessons go.  Will you do open water swimming or in a pool for your Tri?  Oh, and what is the MH 10K?  When's the Glasgow half?  I'm looking for one to do by the end of the year.

Great to hear from you Guys!!

Hx

• Options

Hayley,

good to hear you are getting sorted, sounds liek your Pod has the right idea, either off the peg or direct to foot moulds are the way forward, rigid /corrective devices are generally not required except in the very worst cases and almost never good to run in, i was lucky enough to be at a conference a couple of years back and the main speaker was Howard Danenberg the guy who has signed his name to the product you have, a great presenter and a fantastic clinician, his principles are very simple and pretty much what we work to, ...if you can facilitate the motions of the three rockers of the foot and ankle then everything else will follow

• Options

Hey Footman! 

Great to hear from you!  I am ever hopeful that my remedial treatment (rest, massage, etc), the orthotics and keeping check on my posture, form and running style will be the key to be becoming a "proper" functional runner and will mitigate against injury!  Fingers crossed!

Hope you are great!

H x

• Options

Hayley,

all good here just too dam quiet for my liking...c'mon runners injuries please (minor ones only of course which cna be easily cured) and new shoes everyone needs new shoes don't theyimage

• Options

I need new shoes!!  Running ones that is!  I know that I don't need any special trainers now - just bog standard neutrals, as the insoles will do the trick - any recommendations?  I tell you what - I saw a really good web article on Newtons and given that I am trying to strike midfoot now, they would great.  However, I have already forked out lots of cash this month, that I think my hubbie would have kittens if I spent £130 on new jimmies!

• Options

morning!

ooh I've missed loads on here.  The Loch Leven half sounds like a nice route Tony.  Its funny how emotional races are - I was a blubbering mess after my first 20k.  Whats that all about?!    You have reminded me of the humiliation of school swimming lessons, I think I'd blocked it out my mind!  I was always last  image  Let us know how the swimming lessons go.  Where abouts in Scotland are you?  

Hi Hayley - you know, that podiatrist in town you mentioned - I think that might be the one I go to!  Oh well!  I better not put the practice name on here just in case. Serves me right for just going for the first one I found.  Saying that,  my feet are so bad that I am probably in the minority that do need the custom ones.  I'll soon find out I guess!   Hope you enjoyed your rest day yesterday - enjoy your run today.  

hey footman - I hope you get some nice new minor running injuries to keep you ticking over  image

• Options
    why thank you ladiesimage
  • Options

Hi folks

Well what an eejit I am. MH 10k was this past weekend, I thought it was July image Glasgow half is 6th September so loads of time for anyone who wants to give it a go.

Btw Sophers ; I am in Stirling which is a really good location as lots of stuff here to encourage folk to get off the sofa. I train at Stirling Uni which has the National Swimming Centre and I have access to a track there which really helps for my 400/800/1600m interval sessions.

On the costs I paid £40 for a consult and £100 for custom made insoles which seem pretty fair to me. Slight downer is that I returned the Brooks Glycerins as I noticed the local shop (who shall remain namesless) had accidently managed to give me last years trainers at this years prices. Gvie then their due though they are ordering in the Glycerin 7 which I am looking forward to.

Hayley: I stick with Brooks as they are the only ones that along with double skin socks (Falke) stopped me getting a 1 inch blister every time I ran over 4 miles. Fingers crossed they have worked for the past 4 -5 yrs so I stick with them. They are usually around £80-90 though if you are happy with previous years ones (I wasn't as they were old stock and bubblegum pink) you can pick them up for £50. Trainers though are really an individual thing so just go to the shop with video gait analysis and go with whatever helps you.

TTFN

• Options

Hia Gang!  How are you all?  Hope you are all grand!

Just to say that I am still loving the return of my running mojo!  Have done a couple of 2-4 milers this week and have loved them.  Still not in my orthotics for running yet - I expect to have them in my running shoes by next weekend - but the additional support in my daily shoes is helping me hugely.

I believe that the secret to my current success (I'm v.v.v. mindful that running is a bit like 2 steps forward and 3 steps back!) is the way that I have been trying to concentrate on my running style/form. 

Firstly, I keep a continual check on my core and imagine that my pelvis is a bucket of water that needs to be positioned properly to ensure that the contents don't spill out.  I have a tendency to tilt forwards, which explains having tight hamstrings and low back pain in the past.  Also I am trying to implement the Chi "lean" but that is a skill that I suspect will take me ages to really get to grips with.  Based on the Chi principles, I am concentrating on not overstriding - especially on hills - and subsequently trying to focus on mid-foot landing, as opposed to heel strike.  This, coupled with my permanently reminding myself to relax  my lower legs, has helped enormously with my tight calves and shin pain.  I still have a little of this, but no where near as bad as it was.  I did a great run yesterday with two fairly decent hills and managed them really well and didnt even have to stop at the top for a rest - I just carried on and gave myself a wee pat on the back when no-one was looking!!!

After I've finished my run, I cool down, do some stretches and have incorporated some Yoga moves into that to try to help me get more flexible.  I've order a Yoga for Runners DVD and hope that it will help me even more!

My lovely hubbie is away on a stag weekend, so my mum is coming round tomorrow morning so that I can get out for a wee run.  Long may my current "run" of luck continue, thats all I can say, coz Man Alive, it sucks big time being out of the game!

Let me know how you all are!

Cheers, Hailz

x

• Options

Hi Hayley, good to hear you've made progress. Fab news on your runs. I'm still on the bench image. I've had a Gait Scan on a super computer this week which says I stride unevenly and need more support than I have. I have two pairs of orthotics one too low and one too high in the arch support. Need an adjustment to the high ones as they are carbon fibre and the dogs b*llocks! But have had to wait 10 days for apt which I'm having to re-schedule and think it will be another two weeks til I can in. Downer. Just means I can't run as too much walking is hurting me even with orthotics. Am rollering foot with a golf ball - painful but effective then icing it with frozen bottle of water.  I really want to run but have to be patient.

Enjoy your run tomorrow, I'm so jealous, lol!

D

• Options

Oh D, I'm sorry to hear that you are still on the bench!  Its bloody awful, I know, but I admire your patience and you are doing everything properly to protect against further or future problems.  I kind of had to keep reminding myself that my little "rest" was similar to an investment that I was making in my health and running future.  Still sucked tho!

Your orthotics sound ace!  I hope that they do the trick!

Do you have someone to massage your foot?  Its always better (and nicer) when someone else does it and it really helped my foot.  I'm back at the Sports Therapist on Monday.

My only niggle - and it is minimal and manageable - is my right ankle (on the inside) is a bit sore, but only really to touch.  It doesn't hurt when I walk or run.  Weird!  I'm icing it, using voltarol gel and rubbing arnica into it.  Will say to the therapist on Monday.  I suspect that it is just a twangy ligament and given that it is on the foot that overpronates the worst, I think that it will get better once I start actually running in the insoles.

I have kind of come to the conclusion that pain - or rather quite hefty discomfort - come part and parcel with running and I think I am just going to have to suck it up!!

Take it easy - great hearing from you D!

• Options

Hi guys

Hayley: well done on the runs. Sounds like that runnign thing we get has kicked in big style again.

D: very sorry you are out but as H says it will all come good. The orthotics sound like my ones which unfortunately I haven't been able to use as running shop still don' have my neutral trainers in despite promising me they would image

Been a decent week. Had 4 * 1mile intervals, 4 mile tempo (pushed way too fast and had to take 1 min break to remember how to breath again) and then a 10 mile run today. Latter was touch and go whether I would be able to do it though as PF playing up again and only managed to get it under control with Ibup since Friday. Roll on getting these orthotics in and starting to train in them.

Keep in there folks.

T

• Options

Well I guess my original question - all those posts ago - has been answered!!  Are orthotics really THAT brilliant and it would appear that YES, THEY ARE!!

Like you, Tony, I am looking forward to getting into a neutral pair of shoes WITH the orthotics as well!  Hope your shoes come in quick!

Keep in touch - will be interested to see how we are all doing!

Yeehaa!! image

• Options

Hi peeps  image

Brill news Hayley - it sounds like you're getting on great.  You sound very disciplined!  are you still thinking about the Chi running workshop?

Tom you sound like you're getting the mileage in big time too  image   Hope you manage to keep the PF at bay.  

Missy D - sorry to hear you're still on the bench, how frustrating.  I hope its not long til you can get back out there.  Are you still getting down to the gym for cross training?

I've been breaking in my orthotics this past week - I need to get some neutral trainers so I can start with some v short run/walks sometime this week.  They seem fairly comfortable so far - so fingers crossed! 

• Options

PF kicked in big time today, well that's what I get for pushing it to a 10 miler just because it felt better in the morning. The run was fantastic though and probably worth the pain. image

More Ibup and off to pickup trainers tomorrow to start orthotics break in. Also have PT session Thurs to try and ease everything off. Not sure how training will go this week as I am meant to do 800m sessions tomorrow and 2 * 8 milers. Wil keeep you posted.

• Options

Hey Guys!  Great to hear from you! 

Tony - ouch!  and good luck with the new trainers/orthotics and PT session!  I'm getting the general impression that "rest" isn't in your vocab, Mate!!  I do hope that your PF settles, but you may have to consider taking the foot off the pedal a wee spot, don't you think?!

Sophers - how does your orthotics feel?  Have you noticed any muscular tightness in new places?  My ankles were a bit "twangy" for a couple of days but this is settling down.

I got a fab bargain on the Pro Direct website - a pair of Saucony neutral trainers in a lovely pink/silver colour (!) that were reduced from £60 to £30!!!  Awesome!!  They arrive tomorrow, so will start my new running regime avec la orthotiques!!image  I've had Saucony before and really liked them.  What I REALLY wanted tho was the new Nike LunarGlide+ but I couldn't justify the spend at the moment!!  What with the orthotics, osteopath, massages, etc, my hubbie will have kittens if I spend any more on this running lark!  LOL!

I did a 6.5k run this afternoon and it was fab!  My right ankle and calf were a little bit tight, but no biggie and I finished off with 30 mins of Yoga.  Had such a major acheivement yesterday that, although slightly embarrassing, is something that I am exceptionally chuffed with - I touched my toes with straight legs for the first time since I was 13!!  I think that gives you all a pretty decent indication of how tight/unfit I have been!!  Onwards and upwards!!  Yay!! image

Keep on keepin on Chums!! h xx

• Options

morning  image 

cor Tony, that is a busy week!  Does your PF hurt while you're running or is it always afterwards?  Mine would manifest itself as stabbing pains after a couple of miles, it was just too sore to carry on.  Hope your new trainer/orthotics combo helps. 

Hi Hayley, I did feel a bit achey in my left hip and knee at first,  but it all seems to have settled down now. I haven't worn them since the weekend though as they don't fit in my work shoes and I couldn't face the embarassment of wearing my jimmies with my work clothes again!  I'm going to try to leave early today to buy some neutral trainers so I can start exercising with them in.    Noo shoos all round it seems  image

£30 eh - bargain indeed!  The colour sounds nice too - makes a change from the usual boring colours.  I know what you mean about all the cash we've all been spending on sorting out our wonky feet.  So long as it works, it'll be worth it!   Well done on your run and yoga session - chuffed for you that all your hard work is paying off  image

have a nice day folks

x

• Options

Hi guys

PF is after the run and usually at night then worse next day. It hasn't, until today, stopped me running but I think common sense (shock, horror) would seem to say take a week off running, bed in the orthotics and new trainers and get into the swimming lessons and bike.

Off to get trainers now. See y'all later. image

• Options

Hi Tony, 

ooh did you get 'em?  Hope resting up works - well, where resting = loads of swimming and biking probably! 

• Options
    oh and meant to ask - are you training for any tri in particular? 
  • Options

Hi folks

Got trainers and the cheeky gits charged me an extra £5 for this years model !!! Won't be using the shop again. Anyway I have them and have been using orthotics yesterday and in shoes today. Still a lot of PF pain which is annoying so have backed off running.

PT session tomorrow so hopefully by then it will have calmed down a bit and I can get back to my running schedule to suplement the swimming and bike. Not a great swimmer so don't get a lot of burn from that yet and bike is soooooo tough around Dunblane as you can't go anywhere without a hill image

• Options

So PT view is that there is some PF issue but the main driver is a Tib posterior ligament which is playing up so lots of massage, stretch etc and bizarrly says miss out tempo and sprints but try Sunday's planned long run. Yee ha.....

Back next week for more physio torture to loosen things off.

How you all doing in the baking heat ?

• Options

morning image    Oh thats good news that you can still do your LSRs Tony - wonder why tempo and sprints are worse?!    Are you going to use your noo shoos with orthotics on Sunday?

This weather has been ace but I'm glad I have an excuse not to run in it!  Seems like its over for now anyway as its meant to rain later, hey ho.   How have you been coping cycling in it?  It must be murder in the heat with the big hills  image

I wore my orthotics for exercise for the first time yesterday, I played tennis at lunchtime then went to my BMF class in the evening with them in.   They were fine apart from some hip niggles when running around in BMF so I think I'll try a couple of wee runs next week as my foot seems to be fine.

Happy days  image

• Options

Hi Sophers

Unfortunately no run as the pain is coming back in again enough to be there with any walking never mind running. I did wonder whether just trying to get thru it for the first 10 mins would ease it off but something inside my head shouts "Doh !! Idiot why would it ease off if running caused it in the first place ?". I suspect footman may have something to say about this image

Anyway to cheer myself up and get off my fat behind I have found a road bike and it arrives tomorrow so in the least I should be able to get out on that and stop the fat cells multiplying.

• Options

Tony...you would be rightimage...listen to your body and the physio

• Options

Good advice. So I got a break in my diary, took the ibup as advised and instead of running did 5 mile cycle to gym, weight traing and back again. Net result is

1. I feel better for doing something
    2. Have now had 4 showers in a day as it started bucketing as I left to go to gym and again on way home
    3. I have burnt off 1000 calories
    4. No stress on foot

Happy bunny and new bike to arrive tomorrow so goodbye to trying to get a MTB up all the hills that surround me image

• Options

Hi folks

how is the shiny new bike Tony?    Thats certainly a good way of taking your mind of the break from running!  Hope its not so long til your foot improves.

Still no running for me as yet, apart from sprinting in BMF and running around playing tennis.  I think I'm getting addicted to BMF, I'm going to 4 classes this week .  Really not missing running at all!   image

• Options

Bike is here but immediately given to local bike shop as it is in desperate need of TLC (obviously my bike as we have a lot in common) so I will have to continue to use MTB. Not impossible but challenging. image

No running for me either as PF/TP are still playing up. Soooooo tempted to just head to the track and knock out some 800m sprints as the pain will go after one or two !!!

Btw what is BMF (sounds like a dumb question I know) ?

• Options

Thats a shame about  the new bike, but hey just think of all the fitness you will be getting from using the MTB.  You'll be flying once you're out on the road bike!

No running must be tough for you as you sound dead keen but stay strong image

Well, I managed a wee run on Wednesday night, just 3 and a bit miles but I'm pretty pleased with that.  My foot has been ok since, so I might try again on Sunday. 

Not a dumb question at all - I'm dumb for assuming people know what it is!  BMF is British Military Fitness classes.  The most fun you can have running around like a loony being shouted at by men.

Hayley has gone very quiet lately - she must be too busy running to post on here!  image