Options

Sub 35min 10k

My 10k time at the moment is just under 37 mins - I want to get under 35 minutes this year. Anyone have any view on what the key training sessions are to do this? What has worked well for you to reduce your times?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    I would suggest that you do over distance AT sessions along with the obligatory, painful 5/6 X 1 K/M at 5K pace.
    I have also found this session very useful,
    run 15 mins @ mar pace, 15 @ 1/2 mar, 10 @ 10K, 5 @ 5K, 3 @ 3K and finally 1 minute or longer/shorter at almost flat out, this is all done without breaks (continuous), you will probably cover about 7.5 - 8.5 miles but it is great for pace judgement and finishing speed/strength.
    This is also a great psychological session (try it and you will see why).
    Anyway good luck and let us know if you manage to better the 35 min barrier.
  • Options
    And it sounds like a good pacing exercise - with rowing we sometimes did buildups like this, from 60% to 100% intensity and quite often I'd realise after increasing intensity by a number of steps that there wasn't enough intensity left to make the next couple of increases....
  • Options
    I'll second that with the rowing training, some times do it with 10 minute pieces 4-3-2-1 building rating up (so speed should go up as well) if you start off too hard just end up mainting pace for more energy costs.

Good look, 37 minutes is already a fantastic time!
  • Options
    Thanks all for the advice/ support.

Mountaingoat - what sort of time easy run between K intervals do you do for the first intrval run you mentioned - 2mins? 3mins?

Going to try your other suggestion next week - looks great - and really tough.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    you should do shorter stuff on the track also.

by this i mean two track sesh's a week, one obviously longer than the other. porovided you keep your mileage on the other days relatively high(not obviously mara training distance, but still good for 10k training.)

your sessions in a week could consist of this, remember you can chop and change, and the distances of the inbetween runs may not be exactly the same.
    bearing in mind i hate to dish out training plans alter this if someone tell s you to, and don't folow it if you don't want to

monday: track: 16*400m in 72 seconds. 1min-1min30 seconds recovery.

tuesday: steady pace run. about 6-8miles, pickup in last two. not at easy/rest pace.

wed: track: 6* 800m in 2.25

failing that: hilly run, with some fartlek periods, maybe five over the course of the 40-50 minute run. don't aim to run a distance here, concentrate on quality running style and technique. keep your head up, breathing regular and your pace consistent. again, this is not a rest day.

thursday: rest

friday: more miles, but at easy pace. 4-6

saturday: hit the dirt. get off road and preferably into the hills. even though it's not winter doesn't mean you should not do the great strength building training that is mucky running. this coulod be a fell race, a cross country run or some kind of exploratory run. don't nessecarily keep a watch for this session.

failing that, on saturday you could also do longer track work like 5*1000m in about 3.08-3.15 minutes.seconds.

sunday: depending on how you feel, if you raced yesterdayt or what. either a long run, but no more than 10miles, or a good 2-3 hour cycle. or REST.

things to remember.

1. cold baths after speed sessions
    2. vary the speed sessions you do. one week it could be 16 400's an the next 6* 800m and the next 20*200m, if youre in a club there'll be someone to keep you right on this.
    3. build up the speed and repetitions on the speedwork front. don't goi for all those reps at once, or at that pace. see how you feel with say 12*200m i 30seconds, and take it from there
    4. race regularly, half the battle for a PB is your technique, you havce to section a 10km as much as you do a 800m track race.
    5. take extra days off if you nee dthem.

keep in toutch and let us know how you get on

(disclaimer: don't take what i have said above as law, check it out as much as you want, and please, don't quote me as a reference, i'm not a coach.)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i know this thread is 8 years old...but

16x400metres at 72 sec a lap?!   Surely that's pretty damm nippy for a mere 35min 10k man bearing in mind that's 4.48mile pace image

• Options

2003?  i was nearly 14 stone and running was merely an alcohol-fuelled mira

gy thingy haze in the distance!

SG- you really should get out more!  image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i was looking for a thread a guy wrote ages back for sub 35, who has now gone to 31.30!! So it must be genius.

And instead found this guy's thread...including a session where you're doing those 16  400metres at what is mile pace at slowest!

I wonder how many of those would make you collapse.

I'd go for about 5

• Options
    i am planning 10 x 400 in 72 tomorrow at track, with 1 min recovery
    guy i know is a top vet, runs for scotland and does 16 x 400,
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it's not the 16x400 in doubt, i've done one of those...but it was at 10k pace. ie 86 a lap or something.

Sawney if you can do 10x400 in 72 you're coming along nicely!

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

my target is also 35m/10k this year.

I'm training with a group who are improving massively.

good sessions including what we call a  'cone run' are really helping.

run at target 3k pace.

133.3m run followed by 66.6 m jog recovery. the rest/run times are the same. i.e 26 secs.

2 x 20 min sessions. with full recovery (8-10 mins).

or 6 x 1000m @target  5k pace (3:28ish for me)  w/200m jog recovery (around 1m 45secs recovery)

these can vary each week, lengthening to 8 x 1000m from 5 x1000 rather than speeding up.

can be done 1200, 1000, 800, 1000, 1200, 800 etc.

hills...

steady slope not extreme hill. steady hill reps, 200m up, 200m jog down recovery.

2 x 15-20 min sessions. w full recovery.

tempo runs.

15min staedy run warm up, 10-15mins just below 10k race pace to improve lactate/threshold level. 5 mins steady run recovery, 10-15 hard again, 5 mins recovery.

strength training.

not to be overlooked, total body conditioning is required! im now doing lunges (holding 3 secs per leg) press ups, crunches ect twice a week and stretching after all runs.

started 13may at 31:22 5 mile, yesterday did 29:28 and improving rapidly.

• Options
    >> ✭✭✭
    you have to balance hard sessions and rest days. learning when to take it easy is probably the most important thing at this level. i am a fan of the strength training but a few lunges and press ups does not constitute strength training. it is an area you can easily work on. most people do nothing but a decent gym day every week is very beneficial. i would recommend it. in the very long run it does help to have a non-running activity and you can always do upper body weights. it'll give you a day for your legs to recover and since injury is so common it is important that you can get the running buzz from other things. will stop you going to desperate measures to start running again when you have to stop training due to injury. good luck.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    stevie think i know the guy you mean. Did he have a few different threads for different times?
  • Options
    done 10 x 400 in 71/72 with 1 minute recovery, last one was slightly faster at 70, felt good
  • Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

what pace is that for you sawney? Could probably manage 12 x 400 at target 3k pace with that recovery to give a good workload.

have you been doing this session much and how have you increased the workload over the weeks.

Ive just had a good look at belfast_phils 'plan' and it looks good just leaving the recovery times off the 6x800 session and 5 x1000 doesnt really help as there is obviously a massive difference between full and minimal recovery.

If you can cover 5 x 1000 with less than 2 mins jog recovery in the suggested 3:08 you will be capable of doing 10k in 35mins! without a shade of doubt! More reps and slower 3:20-3:30 I think would be much more suitable.

the 6 x 800m session looks even crazier to me. 5k in 15mins total! too much recovery would be needed to get the right effect! tell me if im wrong?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pammie, yeah i think it was Bryn R...a guy who hilariously described himself as having no talent yet is now cranking out mid 31s image

Sawney...that sounds pretty impressive...as that's 4.48 mile pace or quicker , which is surely your mile pace?! Presumably that's 1min completely stop recovery rather than jog recovery? Maybe that makes a difference, as i did 12x200m in 36s average with 58seconds average 200metre jog recovery, the other day and doubt I could do 10x400 at the same pace!

Seb, I think the original guys sessions are much too taxing for sub 35...especially as a good rule of thumb seems to be that you train marginhally faster than your current fitness, not at your target pace.

I'd say if you could knock that guy's sessions off you'd be a lot faster than 35!

• Options
    Steve, we had a 1 minute jog to the next 100 metre point, strict 1 minute recoveries though

Seb I did 16.47 for 5k recently, havent really done a 10k for a couple of months

Did the same session a few weeks ago and this time was more consistent and less erratic
  • Options
    Stevie, did you find the thread for the 35-31:XX guy? wouldnt mind having a look at that!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    have a search under Bryn R...hopefully he set up the threads and it should be easy job!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Yes Bryn's your guy - he had several threads over the distance
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=&UTN=47801&last=1&V=8&SP=

If I am right! Or search for Hobbling Harrier, formerly known as Bryn Reynolds! I think Bryn has run a marathon around 2:30 and 10K mid 31s. However I think he was about 12 when he put out the sub 35 thread.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

he described himself somewhat modestly/ridiculously as having no talent.

so i'd hate to have seen what paces were doable with talent!

• Options
    alehouse and Stevie:Never realised that Bry(Hobbling Harrier) had so little running  talentimage
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

although to be fair i'm sure we all do it...

like i'm currently high 35s for 10k, so i say anyone low 35s and down is fast

when i get there i'll shift the boundary lower image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

A 16 yr old HH asking for training advice.  RW gold!  image

(Interesting thread.)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    i#m glad noone can dig out some of my posts from 7years ago image
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    image i meant the stuff under a different username you'll never find image
  • Options

man, i wouldnt have been able to run 100M without puking 7yrs ago! image you do know that everyones going to be trying to find the 'old' Stevie G now!

sounds a simple one but I did a lot of treadmill intervals earlier in the year just to force my leg turnover, building up speed first then distance with shorter recoveries. they were one of the key sessions that helped get me under 35mins, I think mainly because it gives you the opportunity to get comfortable with the pace without the choice of slowing down whilst also being able to focus on form etc, to get down to mid 31's tho......phew!

• Options

An old funny story from Edinburgh Marathon exhibtion in mid 1980s.

A large guy was about to do his first marthaon and think he was aiming for 4hrs and asked the slim smallish guyon a stall  if he ran.

'A bit .' came the reply.'   'You done a marathon ? ' 'Yes I have.' was the polite reply. 

'I'm aiming for 4 hours, what's your time ? ' '2:09 ' came the replyimage. The slim guy was Alistair Hutton the Scottish record holder for the Marathon.