Options

running shoes. stick or change?

a few months ago I ditched my nice looking nikes which I used keep in my gym bag, drove through to Darlington (10 - 15 miles to the nearest running shop I know of is a bit of a pain) and had a chat with the lady. twenty mins later and £70 poorer, after being on the treadmill and having my gait analysed we had finally settled on the mizunos.  I tried on half a dozen different pairs but these were definately the best.

What do I do next time?  Do other runners find a pair they like and stick with them (or at least the manufacturer) or is it a constant quest for a better pair every time? After all every new pair of running shoes seems to come with a load of bumff pointing out exactly why that shoe is more comfortable, energy efficient...etc.

Comments

• Options

Hi,

I went through the same as you trying on lots of different trainers and the most comfortable for me were Asics Kayano.I wore them for the recommended 400-500 miles without any problems.I have stuck with them for years now because they just seem to suit me.I do not have to break them in I can run in a new pair immediately and so I have come to the conclution why change something when it works well for me.

jimma

• Options

If you've found something that works for you, why change?

I've stuck with the same for years now (kayanos too, as it happens jimma!) and they've been great for me - I know what I'm getting each time and look out for cheap deals on the web - unless they tweak the design too radically (which I fear may happen eventually), I've no intention of changing.

• Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Find two different brands which suit you, and wear them such that one pair are half worn out when the other pair need replacing.  That way, when the manufacturer "improves" the shoe such that it no longer suits you - at least you have something good to run in!

• Options
    I was faithful to Brooks for 3 pairs, now I'm a Mizuno fan.  Will probably get another pair but will try a few on first on the shop treadmill.
  • Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    I'm with Juliefrazz. I ran in Pegasus for years(9+) then my gait changed so moved to Structure Triax. They lasted several iterations (6yrs+) but the 9's changed dramatically so I moved to New Balance. The new structure 11's are more akin to the 8's so I'll probably go back to them.
  • Options

I had that problem too D2D  with a pair of asics in the past.  Gave them to my younger brother (I hate wearing things in)  and he had no problem with them.  It's only relatively recently after subscribing to RW that my eyes have been opened to the importance of the right shoe.

Having two pairs on the go seems a good idea  40min's. I might go with that one.

cheersimage

• Options
    I have always used saucony jazz as they are like slippers to me and I always keep 2 pairs on the go, sticking with what you know is good...unless of course they decide to discontinue your said trainers.
  • Options

FOC, I wear orthotics (permanently) so even if I find a shoe that I like (and will fit with the orthotics) I still get my shoes fully checked each time I get new ones.  My pod told me that your gait can and probably will change as you become fitter/more proficient and experienced runner, so it's worth going through it each time you get some shoes, in case the change warrants a different type of shoe.

When I've found the shoe that suits me (Nikes to date) I buy two pairs and then alternate them all the time, so that they wear equally.  Works for me and my injuries, so I'm sticking to itimage

• Options

Asics seem to have a combination of high arch support, and the sole seems to "invade" the shoe ever so slighty (if you look on the underneath of the insole, you will see a mark where the sole "invades" the shoe) and this causes blisters on the arches for lots of people (myself included).

As for brands, personally, I really don't care what the brand is, aslong as it works, I prefer Asics because of the way they feel on the foot (apart from the arch issue), I tried Brooks, hated them with a vengence, I have a pair of Nike Lunarglide+ on order, and am hoping that these will be as comfy as the ascis, but without the arch problem.

• Options

If it aint broke and all that

Rans in Asics Gel Foundation without any particular problems, against my better judgement, took the advice of a new running shop on gait analysis a couple of years ago.  Bought a different brand of trainer(Brooks Adrenalin), lasted 6 weeks. Now used for gardening.

Asics, Asics, Asics all the way for me.

• Options
    I am Asics all the way.

Nike, Adidas etc USED to be sports brands for me. Then they broadened and became very commercial. I will never ever run in them.

I like the idea that if I buy a brand, it dedicates itself to one sport or even just to sport!

NB used to give me blisters - I would definitely try Saucony or Mizuno though
  • Options
    I reckon if a shoe worries you, then perhaps it's worth trying another shoe?

I have used Asics for about 12 years now and I have never had a single complaint about them.

Have you been somewhere and just tried on shoes and walked and hopped around in them?
  • Options

I'm asics all the way too.

Very first shoes were saucony, which I thought were fine. The next time, at recommendation of the store, I switched to asics and couldn't beleive the difference - they felt like soft slippers in comparison to the sauconys!

I'd never had a problem with blisters with my asics (kayanos) and never really needed to 'wear them in', until they tweeked the styling a bit with the last iteration and went and put a seam right on the arch - Doh!

Persevered, because the shoe itself was still perfect for me and, once the blisters had healed and my skin toughened up in that area, not another problem since.

• Options
    It's the cushioning rather than the neutrality that gives thick soles

If you forefoot strike though, why would you need cushioned trainers at all? Puma H Street (or whatever they are called) should be fine
  • Options

I find Asics very comfortable, and have tried nearly all the models in their 'structured cushioning range' as I overpronate (Kayanos, 1140s, GT 2130s/40s). Never had blisters or shin splints. Currently in GT 2140s, they'll probably last me 300-400 miles. I love getting new trainers, as soon as they arrive I have to get out the door and 'test drive' them. The sizes are very consistent too, I can now order 6.5s from the internet without trying on and I know they will fit. I find them comfortable straight away too - no 'wearing in' required for me.

They also bring out new colours every six months, which is great as the old season's colour is then reduced. Perfect time to buy, especially as I replace roughly once every six months.

Got Mizunos to replace my first pair of Asics. Shin splints within a week! They just weren't shaped for my foot. Expensive mistake, but I have learnt now. It depends so much on the individual - you can't really recommend any brand in particular as it's so personal. First tip is go to a good running shop with gait analysis.

• Options
    Mine are light blue and blue and white

I got them free from Runners World (yes, that was a long time ago. but I couldn't run for about year so it doesn't count)
  • Options
    berry (dark pink) and white. very girly.
  • Options

Silver with a bit of black and yellow.

D2D, never gave a thought to the possibility of my gait alltering to tell you the truth. Like I say, I'm new to a lot of the technical side of all of this, Just reading some of the threads on these message boards has been good learning.

just a little question for anyone who might know, how long does it generaly take to get over the initial blisters with the asics?  The pair that I had were every bit as comfy as my mizuno's for the first mile and a bit on runs but then turned to hell there after.

• Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭
    My mizunos are orange and black and white. Got assessed for the first pair and then got the second on the internet. Am due another pair I think even though  my ones feel perfectly fine still, but I want to break in a new pair for the marathon. Next time I am going to get assessed in a different shop. If I  still belong to the same category i will stay with the same shoes. Would like a change of colour but not enough to be bothered as I have been injury free so far.
  • Options

which marathon are you running Fizz?

I'm aiming to do my first next year. I've got my sights set on next years edinburgh, just depends if I get a place I suppose.

• Options
    I'm on my 3rd pair of Mizuno Wave Riders.  They're white with purple detail - the brand new colour apparently, which was pointed out to me last night by someone I know who works at a local running shop where I spend quite a bit of money and who were sponsoring my club's race which I was marshalling at.  I had to admit to her that I'd bought them somewhere else though. image